girble girble

Default Nauseating feedback?

Hi Folks

Twenty odd years ago, piling all the audio equipment we could find into
a small photo darkroom, we somehow patched it together and created a
feedback frequency that immediately made the three of us nauseous. It
was not the typical screeching high frequency feedback you hear with a
mic too close to a speaker. This was a mid to low level frequency that
made your stomach turn. No mic was part of it, just tape decks,
turntables, PA system, BIG speakers etc. We pushed a button and poof,
we all doubled over and reached for the other button.

Anyone have an idea what frequency or mix of frequencies that will do
that? Best way to reproduce it, record it? Does feedback damage
equipment? What damage?

Thanks

Peter Larsen

girble girble wrote:

Anyone have an idea what frequency or mix of frequencies that will do
that? Best way to reproduce it, record it?

A church organ. Especially if you stand inside it while it is being
played.

Thanks

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Mikey

"girble girble" wrote in message m...
Hi Folks

Twenty odd years ago, piling all the audio equipment we could find into
a small photo darkroom, we somehow patched it together and created a
feedback frequency that immediately made the three of us nauseous. It
was not the typical screeching high frequency feedback you hear with a
mic too close to a speaker. This was a mid to low level frequency that
made your stomach turn. No mic was part of it, just tape decks,
turntables, PA system, BIG speakers etc. We pushed a button and poof,
we all doubled over and reached for the other button.

Anyone have an idea what frequency or mix of frequencies that will do
that? Best way to reproduce it, record it?

What bagpipe tape recording were you using, and with which Yoko Ono album?

Sorry...

Mikey
Nova Music Productions
Mikey

"girble girble" wrote in message m...
Hi Folks

Twenty odd years ago, piling all the audio equipment we could find into
a small photo darkroom, we somehow patched it together and created a
feedback frequency that immediately made the three of us nauseous. It
was not the typical screeching high frequency feedback you hear with a
mic too close to a speaker. This was a mid to low level frequency that
made your stomach turn. No mic was part of it, just tape decks,
turntables, PA system, BIG speakers etc. We pushed a button and poof,
we all doubled over and reached for the other button.

Anyone have an idea what frequency or mix of frequencies that will do
that?

Which bagpipe LP and Yoko Ono cassette were you using?

Mikey
Nova Music Productions
Quartz

you probably know this, but the government has defense weapons that utilize
this very same thing. Audio, when used as a weapon, is very debilitating.
I dont recall the specifics but its a very, shall we say, controlling weapon
to be used on enemies, terrorists and/or the criminal elements where a
hostage is being held. I would imagine its tough to remain focused on your
criminal objective if your doubled over and have lost control of yourself
and/or your functions.

"girble girble" wrote in message
Hi Folks

Twenty odd years ago, piling all the audio equipment we could find into
a small photo darkroom, we somehow patched it together and created a
feedback frequency that immediately made the three of us nauseous. It
was not the typical screeching high frequency feedback you hear with a
mic too close to a speaker. This was a mid to low level frequency that
made your stomach turn. No mic was part of it, just tape decks,
turntables, PA system, BIG speakers etc. We pushed a button and poof,
we all doubled over and reached for the other button.

Anyone have an idea what frequency or mix of frequencies that will do
that? Best way to reproduce it, record it? Does feedback damage
equipment? What damage?

Thanks

Scott Dorsey

Quartz wrote:
you probably know this, but the government has defense weapons that utilize
this very same thing. Audio, when used as a weapon, is very debilitating.
I dont recall the specifics but its a very, shall we say, controlling weapon
to be used on enemies, terrorists and/or the criminal elements where a
hostage is being held. I would imagine its tough to remain focused on your
criminal objective if your doubled over and have lost control of yourself
and/or your functions.

As I recall, the government did a lot of research into the "brown noise"
back in the fifties and concluded it was pretty impractical because of the
required transducer size. I don't think that has changed all that much.

The really unpleasant sound is around 7 Hz. But if you can get a Servodrive
subwoofer and sweep a 200CD in it, you'll find there are a few different notes
that make you feel nasty. And they aren't always the same notes for the same
people, since larger bodies will resonate at lower frequencies than smaller
ones.

Arny Krueger

"girble girble" wrote in
message
Hi Folks

Twenty odd years ago, piling all the audio equipment we could find
into a small photo darkroom, we somehow patched it together and
created a feedback frequency that immediately made the three of us
nauseous. It was not the typical screeching high frequency feedback
you hear with a mic too close to a speaker. This was a mid to low
level frequency that made your stomach turn. No mic was part of it,
just tape decks, turntables, PA system, BIG speakers etc. We pushed
a button and poof, we all doubled over and reached for the other
button.

Anyone have an idea what frequency or mix of frequencies that will do
that? Best way to reproduce it, record it? Does feedback damage
equipment? What damage?

The basic trick is to get the viscera (IOW the stuff that your guts are hung
by) oscillating, This varies with each person, and circumstance, but you're
basically talking about 3-8 H and 115+ dB plus. Do right and can get the
subject flowing freely from either end.

Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro, Peter Larsen
wrote:

girble girble wrote:

Anyone have an idea what frequency or mix of frequencies that will do
that? Best way to reproduce it, record it?

A church organ. Especially if you stand inside it while it is being
played.

I've seen nauseating feedback on ebay.

Thanks

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Quartz

Actually, the govn is currently testing and has functional weapons that have
been seen in use. they are exactly like that which Arny mentioned and they
are incapacitating.

The effect has an immediate reaction...like a wave hits you. Like I
said...it would be hard to maintain your composure.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
[...]

james

In article ,
Peter Larsen wrote:

A church organ. Especially if you stand inside it while it is being
played.

Ours was just loud as all get-out, but I don't remember that it could
induce nausea. I spent a fair amount of time inside it, as I often
helped tune the thing (done by various hammering, dropping solder,
and scooting pipe fittings).

Scott Dorsey

In article AxG7c.24383$uh.708@fed1read02,
james wrote:
In article ,
Peter Larsen wrote:

A church organ. Especially if you stand inside it while it is being
played.

Ours was just loud as all get-out, but I don't remember that it could
induce nausea. I spent a fair amount of time inside it, as I often
helped tune the thing (done by various hammering, dropping solder,
and scooting pipe fittings).

How low was the deepest pedal, though? Some of those things go down to
16 Hz and can definitely have some unsettling effects. Some of them don't.
Ray Thomas

Come on gerbils, you're not fooling anyone you know, this is misty eyed
nostalgia for a time long past and you just can't wait to replicate it, can
you ? We await your experimental results with bated breath. I suggest video
camera use on a fixed tripod in case you don't make it out of that darkroom