Carl Valle

Default DAT Tape to Computer Question

I bought a DAT machine to make LP to CD transfers (not the only reason) but
I think I have a better idea now.
How about I just use the DAT as an A/D converter and run that into my VAIO ?
I was thinking about an Extigy USB thingy because I want to keep this thing
portable. The extigy is REALLY cheap on ebay and if I don't have to use it's
A/D then I could just edit on the VAIO with Sound Forge and then burn the
result to CDR? The DAT machine is used to record live mixes out of a TASCAM
8 track board also and thus serves dual purpose.

Arny Krueger

"Carl Valle" wrote in message
. com

I bought a DAT machine to make LP to CD transfers (not the only
reason) but I think I have a better idea now.

Which DAT machine?

How about I just use the DAT as an A/D converter and run that into my
VAIO ?

How about just bag the DAT machine altogether?

I was thinking about an Extigy USB thingy because I want to
keep this thing portable. The extigy is REALLY cheap on ebay and if I
don't have to use it's A/D then I could just edit on the VAIO with
Sound Forge and then burn the result to CDR?

Why not just use the Extigy, or why not use something better than the
Extigy?

Carl Valle

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Carl Valle" wrote in message
. com

I bought a DAT machine to make LP to CD transfers (not the only
reason) but I think I have a better idea now.

Which DAT machine?

How about I just use the DAT as an A/D converter and run that into my
VAIO ?

How about just bag the DAT machine altogether?

I was thinking about an Extigy USB thingy because I want to
keep this thing portable. The extigy is REALLY cheap on ebay and if I
don't have to use it's A/D then I could just edit on the VAIO with
Sound Forge and then burn the result to CDR?

Why not just use the Extigy, or why not use something better than the
Extigy?

i got a Sony DTC-700 on ebay for $100
it has 200 hours on the drum

The Sony has better dynamic range than my yamaha soundcard.

The sony is portable whereas my computer is in the soundroom and i want to
use it for live recording with my tascam setup

Is the extigy any good? Should I just get something to I/O digital into a
USB? I don't want to replace the soundcard in my VAIO computer.

Do you think using the extigy for analog input would be as good as using the
DAT as a A/D ?

Carl

Arny Krueger

"Carl Valle" wrote in message
om

i got a Sony DTC-700 on ebay for $100
it has 200 hours on the drum

The Sony has better dynamic range than my yamaha soundcard.

Yes, but all you're doing is transferring LPs, which probably have less
dynamic range than either.

The sony is portable whereas my computer is in the soundroom and i
want to use it for live recording with my tascam setup

Is the extigy any good?

Seems like.

Should I just get something to I/O digital
into a USB? I don't want to replace the soundcard in my VAIO computer.

If the soundcard in the Vaio is a real POS, then the Extigy will do a better
job.

Do you think using the extigy for analog input would be as good as
using the DAT as a A/D ?

Probably.

Hey Valle, you're the big subjectivist. Why not try them and see which one
is better, according to your ears?

Carl Valle

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Carl Valle" wrote in message
om

[...]

I want to use the DAT as a 2 track mixdown for recording live performances,
which i used to do with a VCR.
I'm not a subjectivist. My science is as good as everyone else. I just don't
use science to exclusivly describe experience because my education is
psychology and art.
The reason I can't test which is better by ear is that I don't own a extigy
and I probably couldn't hear the difference anyway. Besides, I wouldn't be
using the extigy as a soundcard, but only as a digital I/O port so I suppose
that question answers itself.
Carl

Arny Krueger

"Carl Valle" wrote in message
om

I want to use the DAT as a 2 track mixdown for recording live
performances, which i used to do with a VCR.

Why not just get a mixer?

I'm not a subjectivist.

Then why do you ignore science about vinyl?

My science is as good as everyone else.

May God help us all!

I just don't use science to exclusivly describe experience because my
education is psychology and art.

Ignorance is bliss.

The reason I can't test which is better by ear is that I don't own a
extigy and I probably couldn't hear the difference anyway. Besides, I
wouldn't be using the extigy as a soundcard, but only as a digital
I/O port so I suppose that question answers itself.

Yes, the answer is that you don't know what you are doing Carl, and you
don't know what you are talking about.

We can lead a horse to water...

MINe 109

In article ,
"Carl Valle" wrote:

I want to use the DAT as a 2 track mixdown for recording live performances,
which i used to do with a VCR.
I'm not a subjectivist. My science is as good as everyone else. I just don't
use science to exclusivly describe experience because my education is
psychology and art.
The reason I can't test which is better by ear is that I don't own a extigy
and I probably couldn't hear the difference anyway. Besides, I wouldn't be
using the extigy as a soundcard, but only as a digital I/O port so I suppose
that question answers itself.

http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hard...gy/index.shtml

I'm not up on soundcards, but you want to check to be sure the thing
doesn't resample the digital input. Then there's the 48 vs 44.1 issue...

Stephen
Carl Valle

"MINe 109" wrote in message
"Carl Valle" wrote:

[...]

Good point. I just want to be able to input the toslink to the computer,
edit with soundforge nr2 then burn the cd on the computer.
I can make the DAT run at 48, 44.1 or 32
For recording live I do use a mixer a 8 channel tascam, but I want to use
the DAT as a two track master deck on location. I don't want to record on a
computer on location and the DAT is much better than cassette 8 track, and
easier to use than a VCR and PCM adapter which is how i used to do it.

Thanks for your insight

Carl Valle

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Carl Valle" wrote in message
om

I want to use the DAT as a 2 track mixdown for recording live
performances, which i used to do with a VCR.

Why not just get a mixer?

How do you record on a mixer?

I'm not a subjectivist.

Then why do you ignore science about vinyl?

What makes you think I ignore science about vinyl?

My science is as good as everyone else.

May God help us all!

I think you do require some help, but speak for yourself when you invoke
your myths.

I just don't use science to exclusivly describe experience because my
education is psychology and art.

Ignorance is bliss.

What is music without art, and what is science without human experience? Or
do you mean my education is not valid in your opinion?

The reason I can't test which is better by ear is that I don't own a
extigy and I probably couldn't hear the difference anyway. Besides, I
wouldn't be using the extigy as a soundcard, but only as a digital
I/O port so I suppose that question answers itself.

Yes, the answer is that you don't know what you are doing Carl, and you
don't know what you are talking about.

The answer is you don't know what I am asking, and you don't know what I am
talking about. yet you keep making your insulting remarks. This is more
proof that if you know anything, you certainly can't express yourself in a
civil tone.

We can lead a horse to water...

We who?

Arny Krueger

"Carl Valle" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Carl Valle" wrote in message
om

I want to use the DAT as a 2 track mixdown for recording live
performances, which i used to do with a VCR.

Why not just get a mixer?

How do you record on a mixer?

You hook it to an audio interface in a PC.

You said you want to mix, why not use a mixer?

I'm not a subjectivist.

Then why do you ignore science about vinyl?

What makes you think I ignore science about vinyl?

Your posts on RAO.

My science is as good as everyone else.

May God help us all!

I think you do require some help, but speak for yourself when you
invoke your myths.

I just don't use science to exclusivly describe experience because
my education is psychology and art.

Ignorance is bliss.

What is music without art, and what is science without human
experience? Or do you mean my education is not valid in your opinion?

I can only judge your thinking, which is very strange.

The reason I can't test which is better by ear is that I don't own a
extigy and I probably couldn't hear the difference anyway. Besides,
I wouldn't be using the extigy as a soundcard, but only as a digital
I/O port so I suppose that question answers itself.

Yes, the answer is that you don't know what you are doing Carl, and
you don't know what you are talking about.

The answer is you don't know what I am asking,

That's because you can't ask a proper question, Carl.

and you don't know what I am talking about.

Your communication skills are lacking, Carl. You want to use a DAT machine
for a mixer, and seemingly can't figure out that there are such things as
actual mixers.

yet you keep making your insulting remarks.
This is more proof that if you know anything, you certainly can't
express yourself in a civil tone.

Carl you used to be able to make sense:

You wrote:

"this is of course pure bull pucky..................
people are just upset that they spent so much money on analog recorders,
only to have digital come along and blow em all away at much cheaper
equipment cost and easier operation.
forget the specs, forget all the hype. a digital recording from an analog
input will reveal all the noise and hiss and mechanical problems --- it
would be better to record the original signal in digital domain, and add the
analog distortions you like so much in the mixdown........ using equalizers,
and reverb units etc to mimic tape transports......... get with it - your
perfect sound analog is simply distortions you have come to enjoy..."

What happened?

newbie question, tape player to transfer voice recordings from tape to CD George General 1 July 27th 04 02:44 AM
Mounting tape for AudioVox SIRCK1 docking station Benjy Cline Car Audio 1 April 12th 04 10:30 PM
Cables used when rec. from tape to PC question. MG Lewis General 2 October 28th 03 06:54 PM
Old Sony tape deck constant turning tape over Peter Doherty Car Audio 3 October 8th 03 06:21 AM
FA: Complete Car Computer - MP3, WMA, GPS, Auto PC Victor Car Audio 0 July 12th 03 05:32 AM