dave weil

Default Link for Scott Wheeler

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 01:26:15 +0100, Paul Dormer
wrote:

http://www.openmanifesto.com/

My favorite quote?

Number one, of course:

"No formal piece of art or catalogue entry may be titled 'Untitled'

Chris Hill
United Kingdom"

Hell yeah! If you can't think of a title, throw it in the scrap heap.
Even John Cage was able to title 4min and 33sec of nothingness!

That reminds me of a particular radio show of mine. I did an "avant
garde" show from 2am to 6am on Wed. mornings for several months (I
sadly soon ran into a paucity of material and ideas and had to cry
surrender - try filling 4 hours of avant garde material for more than
a couple of months - pretty soon, especially at 3am, you start
actually SEEING THINGS).

During one show, I announced that I was going to play John Cage's 4'
33". I took the phone off of the hook and left the mic open for
exactly 4 minutes and 33 seconds. I didn't speak but my chair squeaked
every once in a while. I tried to stay fairly still, but I didn't hold
my breath or anyhing (you current readers will be glad of that). At
the 4 minute and 33 second point, I came back on the air and said,
"That was John Cage's piece, 4 minutes and 33 seconds. And now, music
from Stockhausen". I put the phone back on the hook and got exactly
one phone call saying, "Wow, that was...cool...".

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I cheated. You see, we had no
piano in the control room. But it was radio after all. You had to use
your imagination...

PS, yes I know that 4'33" wasn't "nothingness". Please play along...
Robert Morein

"George M. Middius" wrote in message
news

Paul Dormer said:

http://www.openmanifesto.com/

"Stop making art for money. No-one will ever do better than a child with a
crayon.

"What hangs on a suburban fridge door is more honest and true than any old
piece of **** hung in the Tate Modern."

That little quotelet brought to mind a certain repulsive notion....
What if 'borgs were art critics?

The galleries would be full of paint-by-numbers.

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"George M. Middius" wrote in message
news

That little quotelet brought to mind a certain repulsive notion....
What if 'borgs were art critics?

The galleries would be full of paint-by-numbers.

If Morein were an artist, would he be suing prospective customers to get
them to buy his paintings?

If Middius were an artist, would he be so paralyzed by fear of me, that he
would never get anything worthwhile painted?

Arny Krueger

"Paul Dormer" wrote in message

"George M. Middius" emitted :

http://www.openmanifesto.com/

"Stop making art for money. No-one will ever do better than a child
with a crayon.

"What hangs on a suburban fridge door is more honest and true than
any old piece of **** hung in the Tate Modern."

That little quotelet brought to mind a certain repulsive notion....
What if 'borgs were art critics?

I believe the reverse is true already... art critics are borg. This is
why they are critics, not artists.

Not at all. The borg get things done. Dormer, I've never seen evidence that
you or Middius have ever gotten one worthwhile thing in your entire sorry
Usenet careers. You're both living on disabilities, right?

Bruce J. Richman

George M. Middius wrpte"

Paul Dormer said:

http://www.openmanifesto.com/

"Stop making art for money. No-one will ever do better than a child with a
crayon.

"What hangs on a suburban fridge door is more honest and true than any old
piece of **** hung in the Tate Modern."

That little quotelet brought to mind a certain repulsive notion....
What if 'borgs were art critics?

The galleries would be full of paint-by-numbers.

Free-form mobiles made up of slide rules, T-squares, and volt meters. (Held
together by Radio Shack wire with toilet paper outer wrappings.

Bruce J. Richman

dave weil

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:51:38 +0100, Paul Dormer
wrote:

PS, yes I know that 4'33" wasn't "nothingness". Please play along...

Sounds like you were getting into the spirit of things. It's quite
eerie to hear extended open-mic silence during a radio broadcast it
happens so rarely.

Well, not back in the day. We had more than a few jocks who had
trouble getting back in the control room in time to prevent dead air
(usually, it was after midnight and their sense of time was...well,
shall we say...DISTORTED?...sometimes they had trouble getting back
off of the roof, if you know what I mean - a 20 minute side of Neil
Young only went SO far, ya know)

It happened to me three times over the years that I remember. Once,
the front door shut on me after I had gone to the third floor to comb
through some old singles that we had stored down there. I think that
the audience heard about 5 minutes of dead air (or more precisely,
SCRITCH...SCRITCH...SCRITCH) before I could get someone with the key
(fortunately I had started with the lead cut on side one). The second
time was at least a minute when I miscalulated a bathroom break. The
third, I'm ashamed to say, was when I was simply compleely knackered
and I fell asleep in my chair. I was awakened by a phone call by the
general manager, who just happened to be up at 4:20am. By my
calculations, I had been asleep for about 20 minutes. 15 minutes of
that was probably dead air...
Joseph Oberlander

George M. Middius wrote:

Paul Dormer said:

http://www.openmanifesto.com/

"Stop making art for money. No-one will ever do better than a child with a
crayon.

News flash - the whole concept of struggling for your art is
actually a rather new concept. In fact, every single major artist
of the last 300 years until roughly 1900(1600-1900) was in it for
the money if they possibly could manage it.

The real fools are those who believe that only the poor struggling
types are "real" artists.

Joseph Oberlander

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"George M. Middius" wrote in message
news

That little quotelet brought to mind a certain repulsive notion....
What if 'borgs were art critics?

The galleries would be full of paint-by-numbers.

If Morein were an artist, would he be suing prospective customers to get
them to buy his paintings?

If Middius were an artist, would he be so paralyzed by fear of me, that he
would never get anything worthwhile painted?

The whole concept of performance art where you fling your bodily
fluids at each other is so last decade.

Robert Morein

In article . net,
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"George M. Middius" wrote in message
news

That little quotelet brought to mind a certain repulsive notion....
What if 'borgs were art critics?

The galleries would be full of paint-by-numbers.

If Morein were an artist, would he be suing prospective customers to get
them to buy his paintings?

If Middius were an artist, would he be so paralyzed by fear of me, that he
would never get anything worthwhile painted?

The whole concept of performance art where you fling your bodily
fluids at each other is so last decade.

But the concept of wallowing in your own bodily fluids is very popular
Arny Krueger

"Paul Dormer" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" emitted :

Not at all. The borg get things done. Dormer, I've never seen
evidence that you or Middius have ever gotten one worthwhile thing
in your entire sorry Usenet careers. You're both living on
disabilities, right?

Dormer and Middius both decline to claim that they are not living on a
disability

Lionel

Paul Dormer a écrit :
http://www.openmanifesto.com/

"J'ai la plus haute idée, et la plus passionnée, de l'art. Bien trop
haute pour consentir à le soumettre à rien. Bien trop passionnée pour
vouloir le séparer de rien ."
Albert Camus.
Arny Krueger

"Lionel" wrote in message
om
George M. Middius wrote in message
. .. His

preposterous posturing about vanquishing Mister Wheeler "without
lifting a finger"

In fact Scott Wheeler lost his lawsuit against me, and I didn't lift a
finger. The loss is so devastating to Scott that he can't bring himself to
make an accurate statement about his court costs.

In fact he has done something intelligent that you will *never* be
able to do, he has allowed Wheeler to lose his lawsuit by himself. ;-)

I surely did nothing to assist Scott. OTOH, there is good reason to believe
that Middius encouraged Scott in the actions that led to his loss.

Do you understand the difference, Half-Man ?

I doubt it.

Bruce J. Richman

Paul Dormer wrote:

I "worked" for a *real* laid-back station when I was in college. I was the
volunteer classical music DJ/engineer for our college radio station (Bowdoin
College) low-wattage FM station. I used to pick various classical LPs to play
and also had to do PSA's (public service announcements). I had a good time
fooling the classical music newbies by paraphrasing and colloquializing some of
the biographical material and notes on the backs of the record jackets.
Therefore, some of thought I was really an expert, on say, Mozart, Beethoven,
chamber music, etc. Anyhow, one night I decided to have a few beers while
playing one side of Beethoven's Ninth, since I had nothing better to do. Went
down the block to the local bar, but somehow didn't get back before the end of
the record. I found out later that about 10 minutes of next-to-the-label
run-in noise took place before I got back. Needless to say, I was embarassed
and mumbled some hastily cobbled excuse about "technical difficulties" (I was
still sober). Dave's incident reminded me of this.

Oh well, perhaps I succeeded in creating a few vinyl bigots to light the flame
for RAO's resident hatemongers and propagandists. LOL !!! LOT's !!!

Bruce J. Richman

Robert Morein

Paul Dormer said:

http://www.openmanifesto.com/

"Stop making art for money. No-one will ever do better than a child with

crayon.

"What hangs on a suburban fridge door is more honest and true than any

old
piece of **** hung in the Tate Modern."

That little quotelet brought to mind a certain repulsive notion....
What if 'borgs were art critics?

The galleries would be full of paint-by-numbers.

And little "participation pieces", where the viewer is invited to grab a
cattle prod and experience an interesting multimedia experience.

no useful info

Paul Dormer said:

http://www.openmanifesto.com/

"Stop making art for money. No-one will ever do better than a child with

crayon.

"What hangs on a suburban fridge door is more honest and true than any

old
piece of **** hung in the Tate Modern."

That little quotelet brought to mind a certain repulsive notion....
What if 'borgs were art critics?

The galleries would be full of paint-by-numbers.

And little "participation pieces", where the viewer is invited to grab a
cattle prod and experience an interesting multimedia experience.

Is this another one at your failed attempts at art as artist? Or were
you the willing participant?