Victor S. Miller

Default Can this heat damage CD's?

I recently bought an Alpine in-dash CD player/radio for my car. I've
noticed that whenever I play a CD in it for a few minutes, that after
ejecting it, the CD is quite hot to the touch. Is this normal? If
not (I suspect not -- I just spent two weeks in a rental car on a
trip, and the CD's were always cool to the touch after ejecting -- no
matter how long I played them), can this damage the CD's. Could the
player be defective?

Victor Miller
Mark D. Zacharias

If the player were this defective, it simply would not play. Maybe it's
"normal" for this model, or perhaps there's another heat source under there.
Hot air from somewhere.

Mark Z.

"Victor S. Miller" wrote in message
I recently bought an Alpine in-dash CD player/radio for my car. I've
noticed that whenever I play a CD in it for a few minutes, that after
ejecting it, the CD is quite hot to the touch. Is this normal? If
not (I suspect not -- I just spent two weeks in a rental car on a
trip, and the CD's were always cool to the touch after ejecting -- no
matter how long I played them), can this damage the CD's. Could the
player be defective?

Victor Miller

Pooh Bear

"Victor S. Miller" wrote:

I recently bought an Alpine in-dash CD player/radio for my car. I've
noticed that whenever I play a CD in it for a few minutes, that after
ejecting it, the CD is quite hot to the touch. Is this normal? If
not (I suspect not -- I just spent two weeks in a rental car on a
trip, and the CD's were always cool to the touch after ejecting -- no
matter how long I played them), can this damage the CD's. Could the
player be defective?

Unlikely. It still plays ok ?

Many in car dash units get quite hot in operation. The fact that a CD
feels warm after ejecting simply reflects the ambient temperature inside
the unit.

A 'head unit' without internal amplifiers would likely stay cooler.

Graham