Posted to rec.audio.pro
sillyputty[_2_] sillyputty[_2_] is offline

Default water protection for Sony DVD505 handycam

We're going on a whale watching cruise next month and I want to take
my Sony DVD505 Handycam. I've searched for housings, but it's
discontinued. Any recommendations? Can I jerryrig something? It will
not be going underwater. Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:13:23 -0700 (PDT), sillyputty
wrote:

We're going on a whale watching cruise next month and I want to take
my Sony DVD505 Handycam. I've searched for housings, but it's
discontinued. Any recommendations? Can I jerryrig something? It will
not be going underwater. Thanks.

I suspect you can buy a whole new waterproof camera - at full HD
quality - for the price of a decent housing for this.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:13:23 -0700, sillyputty wrote
(in article
):

We're going on a whale watching cruise next month and I want to take
my Sony DVD505 Handycam. I've searched for housings, but it's
discontinued. Any recommendations? Can I jerryrig something? It will
not be going underwater. Thanks.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

A brand-new GoPro HD Hero2 is less than $299, and would be perfectly fine for
a vacation.

http://gopro.com/products/

Check out the sample videos -- for the money, it's a surprisingly good
camera.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
sillyputty wrote:
We're going on a whale watching cruise next month and I want to take
my Sony DVD505 Handycam. I've searched for housings, but it's
discontinued. Any recommendations? Can I jerryrig something? It will
not be going underwater. Thanks.

How about an Ewa-marine bag? They aren't good for more than brief submersion
but they're a lot cheaper than a housing.

Most of the housings out there that I see are custom jobs and are very
cumbersome to use out of the water where you don't have flotation holding
them up.

Worst case you pack it in gelatin like a bolex...