Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flarosa

Default Advice regarding a Stromberg-Carlson console

I picked up a Stromberg-Carlson console stereo at a Goodwill store this
week. Physically it's in great shape. It plays, but I'm not
particularly thrilled with the sound. Even though there are two 15"
woofers, the sound has hardly any bass compared to a modern stereo; it
has hardly any treble either. It gets loud, but the sound is flat.

Additionally, one channel is louder and better-sounding than the other.
I swapped the speakers to confirm that it's the signal that's louder
and not a defective speaker. I also swapped the tubes in the main
amplifier (left for right) but that didn't change anything.

Any advice on what I should do with this thing? Do I leave it as-is and
enjoy the "vintage" sound or should I try to fix it up? I've heard
people say that the Stromberg-Carlson tube amps are good amplifiers so
I'm leaning toward the idea of replacing the old speakers with better
ones.

Should I replace the tubes with modern equivalents or leave the old
tubes alone? There are at least a dozen tubes inside this thing, some
enclosed in metal cylinders and some not. The main amp has four tubes
marked 7408 which seem to be easy to replace (equivalent to 6V6GT). I
haven't looked at the others in any detail.

Oh, here are some photos:
http://flickr.com/photos/flarosa/685...n/photostream/

Thanks for your input.