Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Electrostatic speaker ( ESL ) sensitivity.

Nowhere can I find an answer to my simple question,

" Why does the ESL speaker sensitivity rise when the EHT membrane charge
in increased ?"

While making tests of an ERAudio kit I am building, I have found that
the sound level increase with increased EHT voltage applied.

If I have a small ac signal at the stators, say +/- 500 peak volts, and
EHT = -1,000V,
then I increase the EHT to -2,000V, but leave the same ac stator signal,
why does the SPL rise?

With EHT = -1,000V, the max peak voltage differences on each side of the
membrane
are 500V and 1,500V, so the net force effect is the same as 1,000V
applied by one stator.

If the EHT is -2,000V, the two voltages between membrane and stator
become 1,500V and 2,500V
and there is the same net voltage difference of 1,000V, so you'd think
the same force
is applied to the membrane regardless of the EHT, as long as it exceeds
the
peak voltage changes in the ac signal applied.

I have Ronald Wagner's book on DIYer ESL construction and
Ron even has a graph showing a linear increase in SPL with EHT voltage,
so that if I could use -5kV instead of only -2.5kV as I am so cautiously
using now,
I'd get a very welcome rise of +6dB sensitivity for the ERA speakers,
something which would place them closer to Quad ESL57 etc.

But in the book Ronald does not say why the rise in sensitivity occurs,
and I must always ask why,
as the answer may lead so some other question, and then another, and
another,
and everyone around me goes quite mad while I get much wiser.

And at present I am also wondering what effect doubling the membrane
tension would have,
apart from raising the bass resonant frequencies. If Quad could use the
same material
with 3 times the ERA tension, I should be able to go double without
trouble.

When someone my age hears a comment, "twice would be nice", one has to
put on the hat of youth, and hope that everything works, rather than
assume it will
like it did at 30. Stretching membranes is nervous nelly territory;
one prick and its ****ed! :-))

( Someone my age rarely will ever hear "twice would be nice".
I don't have to try avoid Temptation; she will avoid me.)

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
didier gaumet didier gaumet is offline

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 06:24:23 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

Nowhere can I find an answer to my simple question,

" Why does the ESL speaker sensitivity rise when the EHT membrane charge
in increased ?"

[...]

Because an ESL is basically a huge capacitor, and in a capacitor Q=CV so
its charge Q increases proportionaly to the tension V. The force F between
the plates of the capacitor = kq1q2/r² with k a constant, r the distance
between the plates, q1 and q2 the respective charges of each plate. When
you increase the tension, you increase the charge and thus the force and
thus the sensitivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb%27s_law
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

didier gaumet wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 06:24:23 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

Nowhere can I find an answer to my simple question,

" Why does the ESL speaker sensitivity rise when the EHT membrane charge
in increased ?"

[...]

Because an ESL is basically a huge capacitor, and in a capacitor Q=CV so
its charge Q increases proportionaly to the tension V. The force F between
the plates of the capacitor = kq1q2/r² with k a constant, r the distance
between the plates, q1 and q2 the respective charges of each plate. When
you increase the tension, you increase the charge and thus the force and
thus the sensitivity.

I am sill in doubt.

Ppl have quoted the Coulomb Law at me but the only non linear
element is the bottom line quantity of distance squared.

If the distance does not substantially change between two charged
elements, or plates of a capacitor,
then the d squared does not change, and does not explain the doubling of
sensitivity for a doubling of applied EHT.

The electrostatic force equation is

kc x /q1/ /q2/
F = ---------------
d x d

F is the electrostatic force,
q1 is the charge of one plate,
q2 the charge of the other,
kc is a constant,
d is the distance between the plates.
kc is a constant for all equations to work.
x means 'multiplied by'

What does the encloser of the q1 and q2 mean with a / line drawn before
and after?

Are the charges in volts multiplied by each other?

If so where you have -1,000 x -2000, the product is 2,000,000.
If there was -2,000 x -3,000, same voltage difference, but higher
voltages,
the product is 6,000,000.
So the doubling of EHT results in 3 times the force.

This does not seem correct, so can anyone explain
exactly what the equation means and how to interpret it and please
could you be so kind to give a worked example to proove you are correct.

Patrick Turner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb%27s_law

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

didier gaumet wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 06:24:23 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

Nowhere can I find an answer to my simple question,

" Why does the ESL speaker sensitivity rise when the EHT membrane charge
in increased ?"

[...]

Because an ESL is basically a huge capacitor, and in a capacitor Q=CV so
its charge Q increases proportionaly to the tension V. The force F between
the plates of the capacitor = kq1q2/r² with k a constant, r the distance
between the plates, q1 and q2 the respective charges of each plate. When
you increase the tension, you increase the charge and thus the force and
thus the sensitivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb%27s_law

Carying on from my previous answer, and after a search I found
http://teacher.pas.rochester.edu/PHY...lombs_Law.html

A lab experiment was to be done to ........

""""To verify the proportionality of Coulomb's Law that the electric
force
between two point charges is directly proportional to
the product of the charges and is inversely proportional
to the square of the distance between them."""""

No example of a simple capacitor was given.

If the charge is the result of a constant difference
between two charges, or two applied voltages, then would not
the q1 x q2 product be constant??

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:50:33 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

I am still in doubt.

Ppl have quoted the Coulomb Law at me but the only non linear
element is the bottom line quantity of distance squared.

And this description doesn't even really apply to ESL's,
which are (in modern, post-Walker, times) symmetrically
(differentially) driven with a constant charge diaphragm.

I've got a paper by Baxandall around here somewhere that
describes it in the depth that I can't. When I find it
I'll post back, hopefully with an accessable reference.
Otherwise I'll mail ya a Xerox'd copy.

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"For one swallow does not make a summer,
nor does one day;
And so too one day, or a short time,
Or a great deed, does not make a man
Blessed or happy."
- Aristotle, _Nicomachaen Ethics_

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
didier gaumet didier gaumet is offline

I think you are confusing charge (Q in Coulombs) and voltage (V in Volts):

in a capacitor Q=CV so Q1=CxV1 and Q2=CxV2 and F = kc x C²x V1 x V2 / d²
so the force F increases when:
- d decreases
or
- V1 or V2 or both V1 and V2 increase.
or both

And a push-pull ESL is basically two huge capacitors in serie, that's why
its capacity is half the one of a simple ESL.

Hope this helps :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default ER Audio ESL sensitivity, stiction problems, membrane coating andtension, etc.

didier gaumet wrote:

I think you are confusing charge (Q in Coulombs) and voltage (V in Volts):

in a capacitor Q=CV so Q1=CxV1 and Q2=CxV2 and F = kc x C²x V1 x V2 / d²
so the force F increases when:
- d decreases
or
- V1 or V2 or both V1 and V2 increase.
or both

And a push-pull ESL is basically two huge capacitors in serie, that's why
its capacity is half the one of a simple ESL.

Hope this helps :-)

I don't follow your math above, but let me say I think I have it all
sussed.

The force between one stator and the membrane = k x q1 x q2 / d x d.
If q1 is the field due to xvolts in stator and membrane, and the q2
is between membrane and stator, the two are multiplied in the figure for
total force
due to the two field effects.

Take the ERA ESL, membrane is at -2.5kV, idle voltage at each stator =
0V, so the
q1 = q2 = 2.5kV so the force is prorotional to 2.5 x 2.5 = 6.25
and as these forces act each side equally in opposite directions with
zero signal,
the membrane remains central.

Consider the distance changes to be so small they are negligible,
so d squared does not have to be included in the equation, certainly
not at 1 kHz.

Suppose we apply +1,000V peak to one stator, and -1,000V to the other.

On one side beatween membrane and stator we have q1 x q2 product = 1.5 x
1.5 = 2.25, so F = 2.25 units
and between the other stator and membrane we have 3.5 x 3.5 = 12.25
units.
The difference in the forces actiong in opposite directions is the
resultant on the membrane = 12.25 - 2.25 = 10.

When the EHT is increased to 3.5kV, the forces remain equal but are
larger
on each side of the membrane, so it remains central.

But with -3.5kV, apply the same +/-1,000V peak ac signal to each stator.

We get F on one side = 2.5 x 2.5 = 6.25u, and on the other 4.5 x 4.5 =
20.25u.
Resultant = 20.25 - 6.25 = 14.0u.

So the force acting on the membrane increases from 10u to 14u with the
increase of EHT
from 2.5kV to 3.5kV.

This amount of EHT voltage increase applied to the membrane raises the
force level by +3dB
and audio power power is doubled, and I measured exactly 3 dB rise in
the recovered microphone signal
level after raising EHT.

So the more EHT one can apply, the higher SPL level one can get for a
given input ac signal.

Or the higher the EHT, the lower the ac signal needs to be for the same
SPL.

Ie, the sensitivity rises with higher EHT.

The peak ac signal must not exceed the EHT voltage lest
there be disotrtions.

I think this is how it works; the q1 and q2 charges are a product, not a
sum.

****Have I got it all wrong???****

In ERA bass panels, the bass membrane to stator distance = about 2.4mm.
In QuadESL57, its 4mm.

For similar electro static forces to exist in the two speakers,
if ther Quad panels have EHT = 6,000V, then the ERA should have about
3.6kV.
The ESL57 have a 1:290 step up transformer so 28Vrms input
becomes 8,120Vrms max at the secondary, or +/-5,724Vpeak at each end of
the sec,
which is just less than the EHT voltage.

In ERA, the tranny ratio is on;y 1:90, so for 28Vrms, we get 2,520Vrms
across the sec, so
+/- 1,776 peak V, so EHT needs to be at least 2,000V, but
to get the same ESL57 membrane forces from such a small voltage, the EHT
needs to be higher,
and and it helps to have the stators closer to the membrane,
so F is larger.

However, as I have so painfully pointed out to all and to ERA if they
are reading, using
closer spacing and lower EHT and signal voltages than ESL57 mean that
sensitivity is chucked out the window,
and likehood of discharge from membranes to stators is far worse than in
ESL57.

All I am trying to do is make the ERA panels reliable, and acceptable,
and perhaps they will give
some long service without me having to
constantly fix them.
I will also try the higher tension of 2kG/60mm along each edge on the
spring balance supplied by ERA instead of their
recomendation of only 0.8kG.

The '57 bass membrane travel maximum = 2mm, because the stator is 2mm
thick, and plastic,
with its coating on the outside 4mm away from the membrane, so the
membrane can only
travel 2mm before being arrested by the plastic.

In the ERA, nothing prevents the membrane travelling the 2.4mm
beteen stator and membrane except the paint on the
metal stator, and when the membrane DOES TRAVEL the large distance, the
force of attraction begins to rapidly increae because F becomes
significantly
affected by the large distance shortening.
As d reduces, F increases at a rate = 1 / d squared, and if the force is
larger than the
tension in the membrane, wham, the membrane becomes stuck to the stator.
If the EHT is regulated, and the coating resistance in only hundreds of
megohms instead
of thousands of megohms, any drop in EHT voltage due to discharge from
membrane to
stator is replenished, and the this helps stick the membrane to a
stator.

I suspect many owners of ERA ESL speakers would have this problem and
not even be aware of it!!!

The tension in the membrane should theoretically be able to pull the
membrane away from the stator,
but it sure cannot do this at EHT = -3.5kV.

One would suspect that once stuck to one stator, that when an ac voltage
reduces the
electrostatic force during a signal wave, and with the pull of the
tension, the
membrane would simply spring free again, but no, we are not that damn
lucky.

Once stuck, the membrane want to stay stuck and the panel PS must be
turned off
and the membrane allowed to slowly pull free, or be prodded free.

Quad ESL used a liquid nylon solution applied each side to a membrane,
and it takes a long time for the
charge to flow into the membrane from PS, and out when turned off,
and resistance of the coating is thousands of megohms.

So if the '57 membrane travels a long distance and an arc is formed, the
current will be tiny due
to spark discharges.

But nevertheless arcs can become larger with time, and burn large holes
in the speakers.

My Quad repairer mentor in Mebourne suggests that the problems I
am having with ERA panels is because the membrane tension specified by
ERA is way too low,
and the high resistance membrane coating does not have a high enough
resistance.
There is no way the ERA panels can be easily made with conductive
coating
to each side of the membrane.
The stack of frames and stator parts do not allow the double sided
approach,
and to use the Quad system the panels would need to be of different
physical construction.

ERA say there are benefits in having metal stators, and no barrier
to prevent membrane movement such as the 2mm plastic material used in
ESL57.

I have to disagree with ERA.

To prevent the membrane travelling too far, and in fact not more than
the 2mm
of travel that occurs in the ESL57, some polyester or nylon cord or
string
about 0.5mm thick be threaded horizontally around the slots in the
stators to
form ridges at 20mm centres vertically.
The membrane would then hit the string barriers, and then have to bend
very
sharply to fully suck against the stator like shrink wrap around a
cabbage.

I hope the higher membrane tension will overcome the electrostatic
forces when it tries to stick to a stator.

The fact that stiction occurs so easily at low EHT and signal voltages
means there is a serious limitation to the speaker's sensitivity.

As I see it, I am compelled to build what ends up being a hobbled
speaker,
unable to get beyond a canter, and never gallop.

I was at my customers houe this afternoon to listen to a few recordings
from his rather fabulous turn table on which he has fitted a new tone
arm.
I doubt we ever used more than 3 peak volts from the amps into their 5
ohms,
and I had to say perhaps the ERA ESL might perform as well,
but the amp will have to provide a very very much higher voltage output.

The ESL load isn't all that difficult to drive.

But estimating just what the average Z is is a bit of a mytsery.

I plotted the ERA ESL-IIIB Z with its input filters and required
crossover resistors
and found it was :-

10hz, 15.4 ohms,
50hz, 13.3,
100Hz, 15.8,
240Hz, 32.0,
500Hz, 18.0,
1kHz, 13.2,
3kHz, 10.0,
10kHz, 5.0,
20kHz, 2.5,
50kHz, 1.6.

I have yet to draw up an electronic copy of the exact schematic
for ppl to try for what i think is the optimum result.

If we divide up the audio band from 20ha to 20kHz into 6
bands, and eyeball the max/min Z for each band, we get
6 resulting average =
14, 24, 22, 13, 9, 5.
Adding them up and dividing by 6 gives 14.5 ohms.

Its not quite this simple, as music doesn't have
high voltages applied to above 1 khz compared to below 1 khz, so
in fact the total Z coulbe be above 14.5 ohms,
but this figure will do for very rough calculations of amplifier
requirement.
I don't think more than 28Vrms could ever be
safely applied to EAR speakers, so that means 54 watts.

A 100 watt amp rated for 100W into 8 ohms would perform OK,
because most well built ones will handle the lower signal voltages
needed for the
lower Z at HF. So if the 100W amp can make 10 watts into 3 ohms
at F above 3kHz, it will be able to drive the speakers if they
are actually able to take 28Vrms maximums without stiction or arcing or
displaying
any other problems.

A 50 watt amp would be fine if it is rated to work into 15 ohms.
Most amps are not specified to be able to do so, and have
say 100W rating for 8 ohms, and say 180 watts into 4 ohms.
Usually the same amp can make 56 watts into 15 ohms,
and can be seen as 56 watt amps if that's the load we are using.

I wish to use about 27 watts max into the 14.5 ohm load
from an SEUL amp with 13E1 tube.
This will give about 19Vrms amx, and SPL
would be 3 dB lower that what the "100 watt" 56 watter amp could
provide.

So the procedures to try to overcome difficulties are :-

Remove membrane no4 and place in the bin, and sand off the spacers clean
for a no5 membrane.

Search for a suitable string, perhaps builder's line, and tightly
thread through the stators to above description and dope lightly with
polyurethane varnish to stop any movement.

stretch out another membrane but with 2kG used instaed of 0.8kG.

Glue down the stator to the membrane on the table with polyurethane
glue,
lay a damp towel over the whole panel, and weigh down with
20 solid house bricks of 4kG each.

wait a day for the glue to cure, then carefully cut the membrane around
the panel
to remove it from the bench, and observe carefully for any defects.

Do it all again if there are defects.

If not, apply a very thinly spread out conductive coating to barely wet
the surface, and drag
the sponge off alnog the length.

Next day, do the same, but lay off across the panel, use the coating
material
as specified and diluted with distilled water and applied very thinly.

When applied by a damp rather than soaking wet sponge, the coating
liquid
will not tend to dribble over the edges of panel memrane.
Don't let the conductive coating spread over outside edges of the panel.

Wait another day, and make sure your cat does not
decide to take a nap on top of your work!

The panel will be delicate, and prone to being torn if touched with
anything sharp.

So keep all things sharp well away in case you drop something on the
panel.

Clean out the bolt holes for plastic bolts; they will have glue in them.
I carefully drill them out, rather than use a hot soldering iron.
Be careful, because one prick in a panel and its ****ed.

Then place the 12 bolts to hold panel halves together.
Tighten all mildly, when all are in the panels.

I already have all the wires connected to stators and EHT supply left
fitted
while re-doing a panel.

Place the PVC channels and spacers around the four sides tightly, and
you have the
panel ready for testing.

I test mine sitting on a chair and temporarilly taped to the chair back
rest.
Don't let the panel fall over.

Connect wiring to the crossover board I made which ERA does not supply.

Connect PSU and transformer temporarily sitting on the chair,
and doble check all connections.

Adjust EHT regulator if there is one to the lowest setting.

Set up all response testing gear, amplifier, preamp, pink nise source
volt meters,
and reference speakers.

turn on the PS and adjust EHT to 2,500V.

Check that no discharge noises occur.

Have a cup of tea, or wait 1/2 an hour for the EHT charge to soak in.

Spend a few hours plotting at least 6 response measurements with signals
not more than
80 dB SPL, and as the SPL meter indicates, at various distances
in the room. the mic should be between 3M to 4M away and on axis
and 0.9M to 1.2M off the floor, to simulate being seated in a listening
chair.

In my case I have a 50 watt amp capable of 21Vrms
maximum output voltage, and when music signals reach this level, I
will want the speakers to handle it OK without stiction or any obvious
over load problems.

I try to use some music I am familiar with to
have my reference speakers going at a normal listening level,
and then take an average SPL reading, this will be at about 1/4 of a
watt.
Then pink noise is used to give the same meter reading for SPL as with
music.
The reference speaker voltage is recorded, and power calculated.

Then the ESL is set up with pink noise, again after checking for
stiction by
close inspection,
and the pink noise run up generate the same SPL as the reference
speakers.
The ESL speaker voltage is measured, and power calculated.

If the ESL power is say 4 times more than the reference speakers which
are known to
make 88dB/W/M then the ESL are 6dB less efficient, or will give 82dB/W/M

Try the ESL with music at normal music levels and check the
speaker signal voltage and have CRO connected to ensure the
level is well clear of clipping.

If the civilised music levels can be produced in ESL at marginally
higher power levels than need for 88dB speakers and a 30 watt amp,
and without audible amp distortions, all is well.

I always operate in doubt, until I proove to myself all is really OK if
I can make it right.

These ESL speakers may perform better with some acoustically absorbant
material place behind them I have some 50mm thick
heavy polyester wool bats which should do the trick.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sean Sean is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

My Quad repairer mentor in Mebourne suggests that the problems I
am having with ERA panels is because the membrane tension specified by
ERA is way too low,
and the high resistance membrane coating does not have a high enough
resistance.

Keep at it Patrick, and please dont be put off by the doof doof disco
speaker crowd. Once you have a good condition, properly set up pair of
electrostatics they will give you pure joy.

I agree with your mentor this is the area you should be focusing on,
something is definitely not right if you have to employ thick blobs or
string to prevent stiction.

Have you tried the hairdryer heatshrinking method? (details below) I
know it sounds a bit hit and miss but IMO the mylar isn't that expensive
that an experiment or two is going to break the bank.

But how tight is too tight? I haven't read anything stating too tight is
not good...but it seems plenty of problems occur with flapping membranes.
I guess the optimum would be to get as much movement as possible in the
diaphragm without stiction occuring, and if movement is restricted would
it be possible to up the power to compensate?

I would also look at very closely at your coating properties and
measurements, have you tried Calaton CB or Elvermide?

There's also a DIY nylon coating here made from chopped up fishing line.:

http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/Pan...alcoating.html

Once again all this applies to ESL57 but the basic principles are worth
following

Diaphragm Replacement [Top]

OK, you've got this far, and you're feeling pretty pleased with
yourself. Let's see what we can do about that, then!! By this stage you
should have two clean, repaired stators, with no tape breaks, corrosion,
or conductive layer discontinuities.

1. Cut a piece of 12 mm Mylar which is about 10 cm larger than the
bass panel stator in each dimension.

2. Clean a smooth laminex or glass topped table with ordinary
household detergent. Dry well, and then clean with either isopropyl
alcohol or acetone. N.B. Both of these materials are flammable. Acetone
in particular!! Do not allow anyone to smoke or bring a naked flame into
the same HOUSE with acetone. Both materials are relatively innocuous,
otherwise. Your objective here is to remove anything of a lumpy, or
gritty nature from the work area.

3. Lay out the diaphragm film smoothly on the table top, and fix the
corners with masking tape, stretching the film slightly as you do this.
Then attach masking tape to the centres of each side, stretching the
Mylar ® again, in each direction. Continue taping each side by
"splitting the difference" between previous tape points, until you have
the Mylar® reasonably taught. Don't try to get it very tight at this
point, but do tape it firmly all around.

4. Using the inner stator dimensions as a guide, mark, or mask off,
a rectangle to be coated.

5. If using graphite (not recommended), rub the powdered graphite
into the Mylar® as hard as you can. Try to really grind it in, and get a
uniform coating. Test the surface for uniform conductivity with a
surface resistivity meter or DVM that can read to at least 100 MW . This
will produce a diaphragm which is far too low in resistance to be really
useful in a Quad Electrostatic. Don't panic!! N.B. Soluble NYLON is the
best coating to use, and it just wipes on in alcohol solution.

6. Try to rub off all the graphite, using a paper towel soaked in
isopropyl alcohol. A graphite glaze will be produced, and the colour of
the diaphragm will appear a very light gray. Do try to rub off all the
graphite. IF you ground it into the film well enough, it won't come off
completely.

7. Check the resistance with your meter. If it is not at least 100
MW then try rubbing the graphite off a little more. You also need to
avoid making large discontinuities in the membrane coating. This is why
this method is such a pain, even if the process is, practically
speaking, very simple. When the membrane measures as you would like it,
clean the general surroundings, but leave the Mylar® taped to the table top.

8. If you want to avoid this rubbing and grunting and carrying on,
just wipe on some DIY soluble nylon, or CALATON CB, or ELVAMIDE any of
which duplicate the original Quad diaphragm coating, and wait for it to
dry off. Diaphragm coated - no effort.

9. Mix up some two part epoxy resin glue - the PLAIN kind - no metal
fillers!!

10. Choose a stator to glue the membrane to.

11. Apply a thin (1/8th inch) bead around the perimeter where the old
brown glue was. Do not put epoxy on the metal tape. The bead should be
run between the tape and the outer edge of the stator.

12. Place the stator, glue side down(!) over the Mylar® film being
very, very careful to align the inner rectangle of the stator with the
coated area.

13. Press down with both thumbs all around the perimeter of the
stator where the bead of glue was run. The idea is to squeeze the glue
into a very thin film. N.B. Placing weights on the stator at this time,
alone, will not do a good enough job.

14. Place a layer of books, a sheet of steel, or something solid,
over the stator to spread the pressure, and weight the whole thing with
bricks. Wait until the glue is well cured. I leave the stator overnight,
usually, no matter which epoxy I use.

15. When the glue is well cured, remove all the weights and other
paraphernalia, and lift up the stator with diaphragm attached. Trim the
edges very carefully with a very sharp knife, (e.g. Stanley Knife).

16. Heat Shrink the diaphragm with a heat gun set at about 400 Watts,
working about 20 to 30 cm from the diaphragm. There are so many
variables involved in this, that it is impossible to give precise
instructions. If you have not done this before, then you must practice
with a spare piece of Mylar®. Tape a 20cm x 20cm piece of Mylar® film to
a table top and practice heat shrinking until you can shrink the film
tightly (no little creases) without melting a hole in the film! If you
melt a hole in the diaphragm, then you can start again.

17. Coat the exposed side of the diaphragm with DIY soluble Nylon if
you are using the original coating. This is what Quad did both sides at
the factory, and what you should do if you want the speaker restored to
its original condition. See the FAQs for an explanation of why this is so.

18. Melt holes in the diaphragm for each stator hole (60 holes) with
a fine-pointed tip on a small wattage soldering iron.

19. Double check that the heat shrink job is OK. If not, carefully
heat shrink again. Leave overnight and repeat the heat shrinking if not
sure. The diaphragm should be perfectly smooth, although this is not as
critical as it is for treble panels.

20. Using 12mm x 3mm (M3) bolts, hex nuts, and two washers (one each
side), bolt the stators together. N.B. Do not forget to run the front
stator high voltage wire back through the holes in each stator and
re-solder it to the tab on the front stator. Tighten each nut and bolt
firmly, but not too tight.
21. Run a line of PVC tape around the perimeter of the panel,
covering the outermost bolts. This is added insulation to prevent
leakage to the frame. Everything conducts (it seems some times) at 6 000
Volts.

22. Take the refurbished Dust Covers and identify the rear cover.
This will need holes drilled in it to accommodate the hex nuts on the
rear stator. Otherwise the panel, overall, will be thicker than the
original and will not fit into the frame without other unpleasant
maneuvering.

23. Re-fit the small phenolic connection board to the bottom of the
rear dust cover - it bolts to the bottom of the frame with two small
(12mm x 2mm) bolts. You may have to re-drill one mounting hole to do
this if the new framing arrangements overlap the original holes.

24. Melt holes in the dust cover film to match the holes in the small
board, and run the HT and signal wires through the appropriate holes.
LEFT - REAR Stator (white). MIDDLE - EHT Connection (red). RIGHT - FRONT
Stator (black). N.B. The older speakers have all white wires, so watch
what you're doing!

25. Tape the dust covers in a “sandwich” with the rebuilt panel
between them using 2" PVC tape. Make sure there are no gaps, or there
will be panel leakage somewhere.

26. The panel is now ready to be refitted to the frame and the
appropriate solder connections to the EHT and Audio transformer can be
made now or later.

regards

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 03:12:14 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

I've got a paper by Baxandall around here somewhere that
describes it in the depth that I can't. When I find it
I'll post back, hopefully with an accessable reference.
Otherwise I'll mail ya a Xerox'd copy.

Ah, Ok. It's from an older edition of John Borwick's
compendium _Loudspeaker Handbook_ :

http://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-He...7210119&sr=1-7

If your library can't get a copy by inter-library loan,
let me know and I'll Xerox and snail-mail ya one. It's
great stuff and surprising.

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"Second star to the right,
Then straight on 'til morning."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Sean wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

The coating resistance seems very high, and beyond my measurement gear.
I can place two coins on the surface only 1mm apart, and still get an OL
reading
in the meter which can measure about up to 50M.

The physical arrangement of the plastic frames of the kits and spacers
prevent
coating both sides of the membrane, and I doubt its necessary.

Once again all this applies to ESL57 but the basic principles are worth
following

Indeed.
I am studying calculations for tension and membrane forces from the
applied EHT and signals
to see what limiting effects ocur at LF where "flapping" occurs, or
rather oscillations
or excess membrane movements about between 20hz and 70 Hz.

I won't be using heat to tension the panel. Its too hit and miss.

I've read all what you have below, but its dificult to implement
exactly in the same way with the ERA panels I am building.

Regards,

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 03:20:10 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

The coating resistance seems very high, and beyond my measurement gear.
I can place two coins on the surface only 1mm apart, and still get an OL
reading
in the meter which can measure about up to 50M.

As I've posted before, this is *very* different than any
current practice. have you read the various _Speaker
Builder_ articles, especially by the Danish builders?
They might be useful.

I won't be using heat to tension the panel. Its too hit and miss.

Again, it's a common (not to say standard) practice.

At this long distance it seems like you're trying to both
build a flawed kit and engineer a (technically complex)
loudspeaker. These two goals are fundamentally in conflict.

My very strong recommendation is to FIRST read Baxandall's
discussion of the Walker ESL's, then to set fire to the
kit. But that's just me.

All the best fortune, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"Second star to the right,
Then straight on 'til morning."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sean Sean is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

The physical arrangement of the plastic frames of the kits and spacers
prevent
coating both sides of the membrane, and I doubt its necessary.

I wouldn't entirely dismiss this Patrick, even though as you say it
might be impossible with the (flawed?) ER kit spacings....Quad did it
for very good reason.

Its all about "Nett Charge separation" and something called
Tribo-electric theory

it could well be the cause of all your problems.

quoting from the website:
http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/Pan...#IMPORTANTNEWS

**** "If a Quad membrane was coated with Nylon on one side only, then
one side of the diaphragm would tend to be in slight negative charge
deficit with respect to the other side."****

The Theory

Firstly, unlearn, as I had to, the idea that static electricity means
"stationary electricity". Think in terms of "nett charge separation",
since this is actually the phenomena and also what we require. It is
also nice if the charge does not move about on the membrane creating
spurious capacitance variation and other bad happenings. F.V. Hunt's
original mathematics shows that if capacitance variation is kept to 8%
then distortions of all types are 0.5% at audio frequencies.
Impressive, in a speaker.

The next basic lesson to learn (or re-learn) is about the Triboelectric
Series, (see below).

+ NYLON ---- Acquires More Positive Charge

- MYLAR (P.E.T. in treble panels) -- Acquires More Negative Charge
- SARAN (P.V.C. in bass panels) -- Acquires More Negative Charge

We can see that Nylon is near the top of the series, and both Mylar and
Saran are much further down. In effect, this means that electrons tend
to leave the Nylon and the Mylar tends to accept them. This produces a
definite negativity in the Nylon. A close contact between Nylon and
Mylar, as in a coating, guarantees that the electrons will stay very,
very close to the Mylar "side" of the pair. Quad coated the diaphragm on
BOTH sides.

Perhaps now, we can see why. The Nylon surface tends to be positive and
the Mylar tends to be negative. There is NO bulk current flow to speak
of because of the generally insulative nature of each substance. It is a
"nett separation of charge ". The migration of charge through the bulk
of the membrane is slow by any normal electrical standard. If a Quad
membrane was coated with Nylon on one side only, then one side of the
diaphragm would tend to be in slight negative charge deficit with
respect to the other side. Quad then provided a small trickle charging
source at 1500 and 6000 Volts for the respective diaphragms to provide
the "make up" of charge carriers in the system. I am sure that this is
more obvious to us now, in an age of semi-conductors. In 1954-55, it was
very clever indeed.

Regards

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

[...]

Well If I don't get a best fortune, a fraction
of some lesser fortune may be managed.

I have not come to any final solution or opinion, and I think ERA
deserves a fair go.
As everyone reading here should always realize, opinions here at r.a.t.
or plans of action mentioned are
valid as thought allows now and are subject to improvement via
experience
and gained wisdom.

ERA would be the winner if they are reading because they have the option
to improve their
product. And I would win if I get the kit speakers I have to just work
just a little
bit better than they do.

I have to study ahead about the amount of tension I should have in
relation to the
EHT and panel size, so I have to learn about the calculations involved.
Its an electro mechanical problem and I have only been trained at the
School Of Life.

Let us not be too hard on anyone and think positive!!!!

Chris Hornbeck
"Second star to the right,
Then straight on 'til morning."

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Sean wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

The physical arrangement of the plastic frames of the kits and spacers
prevent
coating both sides of the membrane, and I doubt its necessary.

I wouldn't entirely dismiss this Patrick, even though as you say it
might be impossible with the (flawed?) ER kit spacings....Quad did it
for very good reason.

Its all about "Nett Charge separation" and something called
Tribo-electric theory

it could well be the cause of all your problems.

quoting from the website:
http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/Pan...#IMPORTANTNEWS

I have read all of that and to change the way to make the ERA speakers
with both sides
of the membrane coated means there must be access to both sides during
the build up
process, so the sizes of frames and spacers have to all change.

**** "If a Quad membrane was coated with Nylon on one side only, then
one side of the diaphragm would tend to be in slight negative charge
deficit with respect to the other side."****

Apparently the difference in charge of each side of the membrame coated
on one side only is negligible,
and the membrane says central in the presence of EHT up to about -2kV.

More than this much EHT, the membrane tends to become stuck to stators.
And the side that tends to stick to the stator is the uncoated side,
which one might think was more positive than the -2kV side.

The stiction occurs when once the membrane travels 2.4mm, the
electrostatic force
becomes huge do to the distance reducing. F is proportional to 1 / d
squared.
Unless the membrane tension creates enough force to overcome the
electrostatic force,
the membrane just sticks. Then when EHT is turned off, adhesive effects
about which I know nothing
occur, because the membrane does not want to spring free from the stator
when no EHT is present, which suggests a charge is retained in the
interface between membrane and stator.

Its the uncoated side of the membrane which sticks to a stator. so
perhaps when EHT
drops at turn off, there is a charge in the mylar, but not in the
coating.

Its a weird effect.

[...]

I have been sent all this to read before.

Nothing explains the phenomena I am witnessing.

I can only increase tension and place some physical motion
restriction barier, ie, string "bars" 0.6mm in dia approx in rows across
the bass panels at 20mm centres to restrict bass panel excursion.

I should be about to have a 50 watt amp run up into clipping with music
and the 30 peak volts generated sould not cause stiction, and not even
if
it is a 50Hz square wave.

There is no evidence that ERA actually
have carried out the kind of very reasonable tests I am attempting.

So I have no clue to the potential of these kits, but I remain positive.

To modify the existing ERA kits to incorporate the Quad ESL57 techniques
would mean a complete redesign, and maybe 2 months farnarcling around,
and nobody will pay me.

I can't afford to do all the other folks R&D.
Some, yes, but not all.

If I did, I'd be making TURNER ESL.

And I have months of other contracts to fulfil, all being delayed by
the struggle with an ERA kit.

I get this to work without stiction, or I give up, and I don't quit
easily.

Patrick Turner.

Regards

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Sean wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

The physical arrangement of the plastic frames of the kits and spacers
prevent
coating both sides of the membrane, and I doubt its necessary.

I wouldn't entirely dismiss this Patrick, even though as you say it
might be impossible with the (flawed?) ER kit spacings....Quad did it
for very good reason.

Its all about "Nett Charge separation" and something called
Tribo-electric theory

it could well be the cause of all your problems.

It possibly could be, but a practical solution is the only one I am
interested in.

Stuff about membrane tension is formulated at

http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/ESL...esltheory.html

However, nothing at this address talks me through the everyday means of
calculating a typical panel tension as kG / cm of length along a panel
side
which would be required to overcome the electrostatic force
present when the membrane is pulled over almost against the stator.

The website display is only a very vague and poor attempt to
teach anyone anything except that the creator of the website
can create a website, and one that does not have a list of steps to take
to get
from no panel to a panel with correct tension.

In contrast, I explain about 65 definite steps to make an OPT on my
website,
and I leave nothing out, and perhaps that's why my ISP says I had
118,000 hits in February alone.
( I replied to my ISP, Melbourne IT, saying they must be kidding me; how
come not a single hit
resulted in a sale? )

But the quadesl site write one confusing page and expect us to be wowed.

Ronald Wagner's book is equally uninformative, telling only a fraction
of the story
of how to and why.

The way I see it is that the membrane is loosely coupled to air.
neverthe less air mass each side of a stretched membrane form a resonant
structure,
as is every drum, and when struck in the centre, the drum skin
vibrates up and down at its fundmental F until it settles. If you have a
conductive coating
to the skin, and suitable means of applying varying voltages above and
below the skin,
you can make the skin of the drum easily vibrate at its resonant F.

In the same way, a tuning fork can be used as a device in an oscillator.

It is at resonance that the stretched membrane likes to swing back and
forth
with ease, and hence if this resonance is not suppressed, the motion
can be very easily be made to make a membrane go all the way towards its
nearby
source of exciting energy, in this case the ESL stator plates.
But once the membrane comes close to stator, the electrostatic force
suddenly becomes very strong as the distance reduces to the thickness of
a few coats of paint.
Wham, the membrane just sticks within the time of a half cycle of
frequency of resonance.

So we must never let this huge electrostatic force ever develop under
any conditions.
Quad achieved this in the 57 with 2mm thick plastic stators, and minimum
membrane to
stator distance was not less than the maximum distance the membrane
could possibly move.
The membrane could pull tight against the inside of the stator, but was
still
well away from the low resistance conductive stator surface.

The only way I see to keep the membrane from pulling tight to the stator
is to use electrically inert string.
The slots in the perforated steel stators are 20mm long, so one or two
strings
per slot can easily be placed.

Let me say I make membrane tension = 2,000 grams per 60mm of panel side
length,
and since the panel width is 180mm, half that is 90mm from edge to
centreline along the length.

If you have a 1.8mm displacement of membrane, the
force required to pull this
= ( 1.8mm / 90mm ) x 2 x 2,000gms per 60mm.
= 80 grams per 60mm of panel length.

Once the membrane gets to the strings 20mm apart, each of which would be
0.6mm dia,
then to get another 0.3mm would need a force
= ( 0.3 / 10mm ) x 2 x 2,000gms per 60mm
= 120 grams per 60mm of length.
At 0.6mm travel the force would be 240 grams/60mm.
At this point the membrane is against the stator paint,
and I am not sure if the electrostatic force would be
greater than 240grams / 60mm .

Trouble is that the membrane could just touch the stator
then "wrap" down onto the stator and stay stuck even if there is
considerable
force trying to pull it off, because of the strenth of electrostatic
force.
Then I may still have the weird adhesive effect
which lasts even when the EHT is removed.

I have found that when EHT is present, and the membrane is stuck,
the signal voltages are not enough to overcome the electrostatic forces.

If you have EHT = -2.5kV, and amplifier signal is at an absolute maximum
30peak volts,
then +/- 1,350 peak volts is applied to the stators, and the
mimimum stator to membrane voltage is still 2.5kV - 1.35kV = 1.15kV,
and probably enough to maintain the high force between the
membrane and stator once the distance has become less than 0.08mm,
which is the present stator paint thickness.

So to be on the safe side, I may need string at 10 mm centres,
thus about doubling the forces needed to draw the membrane close to the
stator.

The amount of closure of holes in the stators with string will be about
7%,
and since the stators could have 40% less open factor for
clear rendition of bass frequencies, the string won't affect the sound
if held tight with a layer of varnish.

I have no idea if all this might work, but rather than spend 5 days
labouring at the physics and maths containing calculus
and reading all the suggestions in this thread that have not yielded
any result from an experienced mind, it'd be much easier for me to
spend one day simply removing the existing membrane,
and wind in lengths of string, and to replace the membrane yet again,
tensioned up to close to Quad63 values and hope for the best.
I should then be able to say why the idea
doesn't work and guage what I am really up against,
and theorizing and calculations won't tell me that.

I first learnt to wind OPTs without all the formulas for response
and got fairly good results and winding geometry and testing
told me what did and didn't work, and what gave rise to
serious resonance problems.
During the process I spent many night till dawn doing things
repeatedly as i read more and found formula that actually worked
when applied.
Unless you try to reach the moon, you'll never know
what a moon shot involves.

I may contact my chemist who recommended the Isonel 642,
The coating I have applied because of all the arcing/stiction problems
I got even with EHT = -2.2kV,
and ask him what would stop the mylar sticking to his product
once an initial stiction pressure has been applied.
And I'd want to know why the stiction can remain after EHT
is removed.

Maybe something additional needs to be painted onto the stators.
Maybe silcone. Ever noticed how sticky tape just won't
stick to anything coated in the slightest amount of silicone?
I can make silcone paint; just thin down normal roof and gutter
silicone with white spirit and mix well until fluid.
I have used this solution to dope woven fabric used
for foam replacement around dynamic speakers.
It lasts, it is cheap, and is non toxic.

No doubt the Quad processes are better than the ERA methods.
To implement them as Quad did in a kit would make the kit
much harder to build, and ERA would have a lot more
troubled kit builders IMHO.

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sean Sean is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

Stuff about membrane tension is formulated at

http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/ESL...esltheory.html

However, nothing at this address talks me through the everyday means of
calculating a typical panel tension as kG / cm of length along a panel
side
which would be required to overcome the electrostatic force
present when the membrane is pulled over almost against the stator.

The website display is only a very vague and poor attempt to
teach anyone anything except that the creator of the website
can create a website, and one that does not have a list of steps to take
to get
from no panel to a panel with correct tension.

You are right, there's not a lot of information on perfect tensioning
procedures...but maybe thats because its something thats not super critical?

However, there is plenty of information extolling the virtues on coating
both sides of the mylar diaphragms.

Everything I've read on the subject points to coating both sides of the
mylar, this results in high resistance on both sides while maintaining a
constant charge....ie "incapable of changing"

Only having one side coated seems a bit hit and miss, resulting in more
push than pull and possibly fluctuating charge.

A few snips and required reading from

http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/Pan...lcoatings.html

"Provided the charge on the diaphragm is substantially incapable of
changing during the period of one half cycle of the lowest frequency
being handled, a simpler method of connection may be adopted, and the
polarizing supply may be returned to either end of the transformer
secondary instead of the centre tap."

The reason for rendering the charge on the diaphragm "incapable of
changing" is taken from Hunt's paper and book in which he shows that
constant charge operation reduces harmonic distortion (in a nut shell).

"The electrical resistance of the diaphragm is determined by three
considerations. In the first place the resistance must be high enough to
maintain substantially constant any charge carried by any elemental area
of either side of the diaphragm when the diaphragm is vibrating at an
audio frequency."

So, here we have a hint that the diaphragm was coated on each side, and
that treating the resistivity as a "lumped" quantity , and inserting
series resistance in the EHT circuit is not on, as far as the designers
were concerned. This attention to detail is probably one reason why
modern ESLs that use low resistance diaphragms and high value series
(charging) resistors never seem to have the mid-range purity of the Quad
Electrostatic Loudspeaker.

Moving on in the next paragraph of the patent mentioned above:

"This reduces non-linearity due to the quadratic nature [F.V. Hunt] of
the forces which are involved if the diaphragm potential is fixed. Due
to the fact that in any practical loudspeaker the diaphragm does not
operate as a rigid piston because of the necessity for supporting
members and because acoustic impedances are not always uniformly
distributed over its area, the same degree of improvement is not
obtainable by the insertion of resistance external to a conducting
diaphragm." So, here is a fairly damning indictment of the use of
external (to the diaphragm) charging resistors to achieve a high
resistance path and a low distortion sound. A high resistance membrane
ensures good efficiency and a quiet background also.

The second reason for the resistive properties of the diaphragm to be as
they a

"The resistance must also be high enough to prevent injurious sparking
in normal operation. So that if a spark should tend to occur between a
small area of the and one of the plates, the discharge current flowing
in the areas of the diaphragm adjacent to the discharging area causes
the potential of the discharging area to be reduced below the value
required to maintain the discharge. Only a very small charge is
dissipated before the voltage becomes thus reduced and the spark is
accordingly rendered harmless."

If the ER kit says only coat one side with nylon then they must be
employing series resistance in the EHT???, according to the above site
this is not a good thing.

I wish you luck Patrick, this is all very interesting to me as I have a
pair of ESL57 that undoubtedly will one day need refurbishing.

They are still in excellent nick but like anything approaching 50 things
start sagging and performance eventually drops : )

Luckily for me there's plenty of helpful information out there,
unfortunately the same can't be said for your ER kit.

Imo these kit sellers should have VERY detailed information available on
their website, some kind of user forum and good support available.
$2k is not chicken feed.

regards

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Sean wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Stuff about membrane tension is formulated at

http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/ESL...esltheory.html

However, nothing at this address talks me through the everyday means of
calculating a typical panel tension as kG / cm of length along a panel
side
which would be required to overcome the electrostatic force
present when the membrane is pulled over almost against the stator.

The website display is only a very vague and poor attempt to
teach anyone anything except that the creator of the website
can create a website, and one that does not have a list of steps to take
to get
from no panel to a panel with correct tension.

You are right, there's not a lot of information on perfect tensioning
procedures...but maybe thats because its something thats not super critical?

You can see that the person who wrote the website hasn't ever built an
ESL.
He has never done more than sit in a chair and type.

I think the tension IS CRITICAL for optimum perfornance

The ERA panels I have use 800 grams per 60mm of panel side length.
The resonant F of the bass panel is around 32Hz.

Quad63 use the same thickness of membrane material and use 2,500
grams/60mm of side length.
bass resonance is higher.
From what i see, ESL panels don't send such a strong signal back to the
amplifier
as a feedback signal. They do of course act like gigantic capacitor
microphones,
and could indeed be used as mics. So an error or distortion signal at
the ESL
is fed to the step up tranny sec via the series resistances,and
transformed down
to appear at the primary as low voltage high current and this then
appear at the amplifier output
and is also fed back into the amp for reverse amplification.

Just how well this actually works is anyone's guess; my view is that at
50Hz, the ESL
has such a high Z that distortion currents are very low at the speaker,
so when transformed
to the primary, they are miniscule, and the NFB is very low, so there is
little error correction.
So the bass response is peaked and only passive techniques can prevent
its
worst sonic effects, boomy bass coloured by the frequency of resonance.
so even if music with no content at Fo, the panel may still be excited
and
wobble away at Fo whether we like it or not.
Resonances that are sharp are usually not at a frequency of music,
so will sound discordant.

Tension affects the Fo, and the higher the tension is to prevent
bass movements, the higher the Fo.

However, there is plenty of information extolling the virtues on coating
both sides of the mylar diaphragms.

Er no. The guy who wrote all that hasn't built a panel, and hasn't
focused on curing bugs nor made any real world measurements of real
world speakers and with various distances used, various EHT levels,
tensions and stator techniques.
He can conclude what he likes, and all of what he says could be right,
but I can't change my canoe while I am so far out to sea.
If I was up the creek without a paddle, I could stop by the river bank
and fashion a new one from a branch,
or build a new canoe from bark off a better tree, but being where I am
out at sea,
I don't have the options of changing much.
I have not concluded if in fact my canoe is one constructed from woven
barbed wire.

I'm basically limited to tying string around the ER Audio panels and
increasing tension
to make them work at all. Its like plugging a leak in the canoe with
chewing gum.

If then I get a canoe which is otherwise easy to paddle along, I'll be
happy.

Everything I've read on the subject points to coating both sides of the
mylar, this results in high resistance on both sides while maintaining a
constant charge....ie "incapable of changing"

Only having one side coated seems a bit hit and miss, resulting in more
push than pull and possibly fluctuating charge.

The charge on ONE side of a very thin membrane does not result in a
substantial difference
in the two equal forces of tension either side of the membrane towards
each stator.

In the ERA panels I see no evidence that the membrane is substantially
off centre with no signal due to unequal electrostatic forces which are
the product
of the charge in coulombs and the field strengths involved.
basically, you have perhaps a kilogram of force from each stator spread
over the membrane area
acting towards each stator. By altering the voltage on the stators, the
two forces are
alterd in magnitude, with increasing attractive force on one side, and
reducing force
of attraction on the other, so the membrane moves as a result.
Any 2H distortion in this action is mainly cancelled.

[...]

I see not the slightest link between "midrange purity", whatever that
means,
to coating resistance.

By "midrange purity" do you mean low THD/IMD?
For the panel to work well, we don't want the charge to be easily able
flow in or out of the membrane. Once we have drained out squillions of
electrons
from one or both sides of the membrane to make it positive, when a
signal change occurs, we want the charge level to stay constant.
How darn constant? Constant enough so charge won't change even at 20Hz.
From what i see, ER panels don't suffer dynamic charge change to any
great extent,
and if the membranes did change their charge dynamically say +/- 100V
at say 50Hz when there was a lot of bass content, then indeed there
would be serious IMD because sensitivity varies with EHT, and if this
varies dynamically,
you'd get IMD.
Hence unlike ERA, I am running larger than recommemded series R from TX
to the bass panels
to get a flattter response level, and using C&R filter drive to the
centre treble strip
to keep bass F out, and thus avoid bass being able to modulated treble
amplitudes.
Quad do this as well in ESL57....
I have not measured how important this is though.

Moving on in the next paragraph of the patent mentioned above:

"This reduces non-linearity due to the quadratic nature [F.V. Hunt] of
the forces which are involved if the diaphragm potential is fixed.

What the **** does this mean??????

Pure undecypherable boffin babble!!

Due to the fact that in any practical loudspeaker the diaphragm does not
operate as a rigid piston because of the necessity for supporting
members and because acoustic impedances are not always uniformly
distributed over its area, the same degree of improvement is not
obtainable by the insertion of resistance external to a conducting
diaphragm."

Now he talks about dynamic drivers, then lurches sideays to ESL.

Incomprehensible to someone like me who needs all statements to be fully
explained, and be logical, and tell the whole well defined story.

So, here is a fairly damning indictment of the use of
external (to the diaphragm) charging resistors to achieve a high
resistance path and a low distortion sound. A high resistance membrane
ensures good efficiency and a quiet background also.

No reasons are given for this claim.
Could be right, could be BS.

The second reason for the resistive properties of the diaphragm to be as
they a

"The resistance must also be high enough to prevent injurious sparking
in normal operation. So that if a spark should tend to occur between a
small area of the and one of the plates, the discharge current flowing
in the areas of the diaphragm adjacent to the discharging area causes
the potential of the discharging area to be reduced below the value
required to maintain the discharge. Only a very small charge is
dissipated before the voltage becomes thus reduced and the spark is
accordingly rendered harmless."

When I first encountered the appalling amount of arcing in ERA panels
when I turned up the EHT above 2,500V, and which then got worse
when the membrane became stuck to a stator,
there were blue sparks all over the place.

I turned everything off, lest i burn a hole in a membrane.

When I stripped the arcing panel down, and put on a second pair of
glasses,
I could see little black beads of **** where the panel had arced
repeatedly.
These were the results of fried paint or coating or mylar, not sure,
but had the arcing been left to occur, the membrane surely
would have become punctured, and fuct.

Now I have painted the stator insides with two coats of Isonel 642,
rated to
withstand 2,700V across 1 thou" or 0.025mm, when the stiction occurred
again
there was much less arcing. If I can keep the membrane away from the
stator and not able to stick against
a stator, arcing will NEVER be a problem.

If the ER kit says only coat one side with nylon then they must be
employing series resistance in the EHT???, according to the above site
this is not a good thing.

I am not so sure.

It appears the ERA EHT supply has a diode plus capacitor "ladder"
to produce a very high EHT, able to be adjusted
easily by varying a low voltage supply ahead of the EHT supply.
The highest EHT I could measure was -5.4kV with a special HV probe whose
input resistance is above the range my Fluke DVM will measure.

So the probe isn't causing near total EHT reduction whe I measure.
There is a series R at the EHT supply output using
what looks like a 33 megohm resistance, and again it reads OL with the
Fluke.
There is also a space and tracks for a neon bulb across the resistor,
but the neon isn't fitted.
After charge up, current flow in the 33M would drop, and the neaon
wouldn't light up.

But this leads me to think the membrane coating is very high resistance.

Naturally enough, we are not told the ERA trade secret of what is in the
coating,
but it appears it is an acrylic solution and fairly stable; I tried
removing it with metho
and water to no avail once it had dried and after a week of curing.
I couldn't measure the resistance between two coins only 1mm apart when
resting on the membrane.

I wish you luck Patrick, this is all very interesting to me as I have a
pair of ESL57 that undoubtedly will one day need refurbishing.

They will indeed need work inevitably.

That they are in one piece 40 years after manufacture is a miracle.

They are still in excellent nick but like anything approaching 50 things
start sagging and performance eventually drops : )

Luckily for me there's plenty of helpful information out there,
unfortunately the same can't be said for your ER kit.

I am rapidly making up for the deficit of public knowledge about ER
Audio kits.

I know the ER Audio salesman in the UK, Colin Topps is listening,
because he
emailed me privately when i first posted on this subject.

He would not listen to what I was saying, didn't understand me,
underestimated
my analytical abilities, and wanted to somehow talk away my problems
with the bull**** of denial and sales talk, which did not succeed.
He's never had any problems he says.
Well, he sells the bloody things, so of course there are no problems,
and then when I said privately that sorting things out with him or
ERA in Perth may not be possible based on what he said,
he told me to sod off quite rudely, and to never ever to email him
again.

I'd never employ someone like Colin. You just never should tell anyone
to sod off.
I don't expect any apologies. Colin became quite frustrated about not
being able
to provide a solution to a problem he maintained didn't exist, and I'm
the minority,
so he thinks he can afford to tell me to sod off.
No doubt Rob Macinlay knows all about whats happening here; just one man
out of
many who have attempted to build the panels have found great
difficulties
in getting them to work as well as website claims suggest.

But nobody from EAR or representing ERA in the UK has the courage to
come from their hideout
to join in the discussions here about the panels they produce.

In contrast, Peter Walker debated his products publically and benefitted
from
the experience with smiles all the way to the bank.
Plenty of ppl thought the 405 amp idea of 'current dumping'
was plain wrong. The reliablity of the 405 and its build quality
and its sales suggested the critics were wrong.

Imo these kit sellers should have VERY detailed information available on
their website, some kind of user forum and good support available.
$2k is not chicken feed.

I agree, but ppl wanna make a dollar, and you can't make a dollar if
you spend time making sure all the info is there for everyone
and you spend time with ppl who have problems.
Its takes time, and time is money.

I bet that if my customer who paid for the speakers wanted a refund due
his dissatisfaction, he'd not get one.

So there is plenty of reason why I have to try hard to make these
speakers work.

I don't like to see a customer waste his money, nor myself suffer
financial loss
because I attempted to build what has even been claimed by some to be
"better than Quad ESL"
and failed in the attempt because of stiction and sensitivity problems.

If the folks at ERA are not impressed positively by what I am saying,
they should have no trouble defending their product in public, and
submitting
it to rigourous testing and analysis by an independant technician and
professional
qualified person. Hardly anyone exists who would do the work of
evaluation
properly, and without being paid a professional fee.
Hire of an anechoic chamber isn't cheap either.
Just because ppl say they are professional, and have always an ethical
honest
transparent approach does not men they have it, unless they proove and
demonstrate it.

Here in the discussion groups anyone making a claim can be deemed to be
wrong, a liar perhaps, until evidence suggests otherwise.
Its guilty until innocence is proven.
We don't jail or execute when we find so many false claims made each day
on the Net,
we just invite discussions of the claims, and leave everyone to judge
for themselves.

This way our discussions act as fertilizer in which to grow better
ideas.

I look forward to seeing a post here from ERA.

Patrick Turner.

regards

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

In addition to my last post,
I share how I measure the EHT.

The HV probe I have is specially able to measure up to 40kV,
and has an internal resistance which is very high, and has a 1,000:1
voltage reduction
ratio.

The ERA EHT supply has a series R of what seems to be 33 megohms and
beyond my
Fluke digital multimeter to read which can measure only to about 30
megohms .

Without EHT connected to the panel, I measured -3.67kV at the top of the
diode + capacitance ladder.
At the output of the 33Meg the voltage measured -3.5kV, so there is only
a 0.17kV sag
due to the loading effect of the probe, so indeed the probe internal
resistance
must be very high, and I calculate about 600 megohms, allowing for some
sag in
the supply before the 33M.
The 1,000:1 reduction ratio means its output resistance is 600k, so
the high input resistance of the Fluke should not affect what is being
measured.

The probe I am using is listed forsale at
http://www.wescomponents.com.au
See item 'high voltage probe' code no HV40

Cost aud $149.00

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sean Sean is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

Sean wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Good grief, I dont know the guy from a bar of soap but he's devoted a
lot of time and many webpages to help and guide others (just like your
website) and you dish that out?

With that sort of attitude I'm not surprised people aren't more
forthcoming helping you solve your problem.

Good luck to you.

ps there's more here on imbalanced diaphragms, it might be valuable
reading for some.

http://www.quadesl.org.uk/ -
Do I coat one or both sides of the diaphragm ?

Sean
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Mike Coatham Mike Coatham is offline

Sean wrote:

Good grief, I dont know the guy from a bar of soap but he's devoted a
lot of time and many webpages to help and guide others (just like your
website) and you dish that out?

I couldn't agree more Sean - a case of pot,kettle??. Turner hasn't built one either - he is 'attempting' to build one from a
kitset which is a whole lot different to building one from scratch. Gary Jacobsen has done rebuilds on Quad ESL panels - which
involves essentially the same procedures as the kitset job that Turner is messing about with, wouldn't you say?.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Sean wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Sean wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Good grief indeed. I'll say whatever I think is fair here and where I
think is appropriate.
IMHO there are extremely few websites anywhere that have any real depth
about them, and none are places where someone can pick up all the theory
plus its applications plus worked out samples of designs.

Ppl build stuff, then crow all about it like a rooster who just made
with a chook.

Unlike the average punter, I like to see MORE everywhere I go.

With that sort of attitude I'm not surprised people aren't more
forthcoming helping you solve your problem.

Armchair experts are just that, they like to regurgitate the scientific
jargon about ESL which originated from far more prolific,
intelligent, resourceful and practical minds who lurked here on Earth
50 years ago, such as Peter Walker, D.T.N. Williamson, and Peter
Baxandal.

If somebody is going to tell us something about ESL, could they be so
kind as to
give us fully worked examples as they go?

In my OPT design pages I revolve the explanations and theory and
formula all around worked examples.
I spent 6 mths unpaid last year to establish my 18MB website.
And even after all that people want more, they still have questions.
I have always tried to explain things when they emailed me weekly.

From what i see in websites on ESL around the Web,
there are extremely few ppl who have ever bothered to sit down and
analyse the
and explain and reproduce the accurate equivalent LCR circuit for the
Quad ESL57,
as explained by Peter Baxandal.

But once you see Peter's circuit, and if you have learnt basic LCR
theory,
then the myths about ESL electronics dissappear, along with a lot of BS
notions.

On today's websites there are no detailed explanations with calculations
conveyed for
the ordinary person to understand with regard to membrane tension,
membrane to stator distance, EHT ideal settings, and certainly ZERO
explanations of why I am getting stiction problems.

There is not a huge number of people attracted to r.a.t, which has, like
so many
public access forums, the reputation of a sewer where rats and
cockroaches
gather to throw turds at each other.

But when one does a Google search on ERA kit speakers, our discussions
will come up,
and anyone reading our discussions will think twice about an ERA kit,
and not be so disturbed when they realise at least one observant man
had a few bothers which took time to fix.

So I can understand why the the sales people and CEOs of companies
making
boutique audio gear stop short of appearing here, they'd get too dirty.

But Peter Walker wasn't a shy little geranium now was he!

He'd have the answers, and he'd done the homework, and he had the
courage,
and I expect ppl making speakers which they claim to equal Walker's
wonders to
be the same.

I hoped to perhaps share experiences with others who have had either
success or failures,
and certainly real friendship is where problems can be shared, but we
never
take discssions so personally that we couldn't share a beer.
But it appears that about nobody who is now building ESL panels and is
aware of r.a.t
wants to talk about the issues. Like ribbon or horn speakers, ESL
have their rightful place in the audio world to offer sonic
joys when properly set up.

Good luck to you.

ps there's more here on imbalanced diaphragms, it might be valuable
reading for some.

http://www.quadesl.org.uk/ -
Do I coat one or both sides of the diaphragm ?

I don't have enough experience to advise you.

I am struggling with my first ESL panel building experience.

If I get the ERA panels working with complete freedom from stiction,
and as reliably as i think is necessary, maybe you may have more to
think about.

I have scraped off the glue and last membrane from the panel i am
working on,
and am ready for threading string and silicone doping tommorrow
to hopefully stop the stiction bothers. This will take a day or two to
cure.
Maybe thursday I stretch another membrane and glue it to the prepared
frame with stator complete with motion limiting string barriers, and
silicone doping.

Doing this part of the process will take many hours, but if I proove the
technique works, and the EHT can higher at up to say -4,000V to give
more
sensitivity without stiction bothers then I have effectively R&D'd a
better panel than ERA
has so far invented, IMHO.

The silicone tabs which I did use as stipulated by the ERA manual for
node damping points to suppress bass resonances
were found to have well bonded to the membrane, and very well bonded to
the
stators which have two coats of Isonel 642 on them.
So the silicone used as a paint will work fine and never peel off, and
dissallow the
sticky bond between Isonel 642 and mylar that occurs when stiction has
been sustained for some time,
and it won't release after the power is turned off.
I have been using silicone for 25 years, and its a wonderful bit of
stuff, and
when undoing or altering roof and gutter work I did 25 years ago not the
slightest
degradation seems to have occured; the metals will rust away before the
silicone degrades.

Patrick Turner.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Mike Coatham wrote:

Sean wrote:

Good grief, I dont know the guy from a bar of soap but he's devoted a
lot of time and many webpages to help and guide others (just like your
website) and you dish that out?

I couldn't agree more Sean - a case of pot,kettle??. Turner hasn't built one either - he is 'attempting' to build one from a
kitset which is a whole lot different to building one from scratch. Gary Jacobsen has done rebuilds on Quad ESL panels - which
involves essentially the same procedures as the kitset job that Turner is messing about with, wouldn't you say?.

Don't be silly, rebuilding Quad ESL57 is not the same as my building my
kit
although some procedures are similar.
The fact is that quite a number of people know about ESL57 which have
been around
for 50 years, and I have no arguments with them, but where anyone has
presented their thoughts to the Net they have not provided a one stop
shop
for all the theory and practices generic to ESL enabling
anyone to build their own from scratch.

My experience with the ERA kit has so far been dissapointing.

I never intended to become an ESL expert, and am not an expert yet, not
by any means,
but with dissapointment comes the urge to try harder while learning
more.

I am utterly non expert about repairs to Quad ESL57.

I am however, full of questions, and some remain quite unanswered, due
to the lack
of comprehensible advice from others on the Net.

If I were to try to build an ESL from scratch, I'd probably
save myself a lotta bother and just copy well known Quad techniques
which everyone has advised is superior to anything in a kit.
Its also a lot more work.

I have applied a similar approach to amp building but implemented the
60 years year old ideas somewhat better, and unlimited by bean counters.

I don't care that I am unpopular, I'd rather ask 100 questions,
and be asked to leave the party, than get drunk and stupid.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sean Sean is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

Sean wrote:

http://www.quadesl.org.uk/ -
Do I coat one or both sides of the diaphragm ?

I don't have enough experience to advise you.

You didnt even read it...right???

Pay particular attention to the spacing of the quad treble
panels....look familiar?

"I now believe that there is an extra reason which I had overlooked. As
soon as you apply the coating to one side only you immediately have an
imbalance. You should after all do the same to one side of the diaphragm
as the other to maintain balance."

"The question is why was the diaphragm hitting the back stator hard ? I
now realise that this was being caused by the coating only being applied
to one side."

"Because the charge is an electric field any conductive material in
close proximity with it will have a voltage induced onto it. Inside the
treble panel the stators are only 0.75mm away from the diaphragm. With a
conductive coating on one side only it meant that the front stator had a
voltage induced on it and because these voltages were the same charge
they repelled each other. The effect of this is to push the diaphragm
hard against the back stator.

****The simple cure for this is to coat both sides of the diaphragm thus
restoring balance to the panel****

"The only question left is why do so many people only coat one side ? In
the case of other ESL designs I suspect the reason is that the diaphragm
is a sufficient distance from the stators as to make it impossible to
induce a voltage on them. Don't forget that other designs including the
ESL 63 use stator spacings of at least 6.5mm whereas the Quad treble
panel has a stator gap of only 1.5mm. This means the stator to diaphragm
distance is only 0.75mm so its not surprising that a voltage is induced.
As to how other ESL 57 repairers manage to only coat one side and make
them work is a mystery. Best to ask them."

I am struggling with my first ESL panel building experience.

Yes, and it seems you are hell bent on fixing them with string and
plumbers silicone.

I'm sure the proud new owner will be tickled pink.

Sean
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Sean wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Sean wrote:

http://www.quadesl.org.uk/ -
Do I coat one or both sides of the diaphragm ?

I don't have enough experience to advise you.

I could repeat exactly what I said above, after reading Andrew's
dissertation about repairing the Quad ESL57 panel
where he says the following...

His commonsense approach is a welcome refreshment of words....

"""""In my early days of electrostatic speaker repair I coated one side
of the diaphragm only. Many people will tell you that you need
only coat one side. There are many internet sites which say this. Also
there are books available which describe how to make your
own ESL speaker and these also tell you to coat one side only.

I will try to explain why many people suggest coating one side only and
why I don't think this works in the ESL 57 treble panel.
What has to be understood is that the music signal which is being
applied to the stators is attracting/repelling the charge on the
diaphragm not the diaphragm itself. It is only because the charge is
held captive on the surface of the diaphragm that means the
diaphragm will vibrate.

Consider a diaphragm with a coating on one side.

So, you have a charge on the surface of a diaphragm which is being
driven by a musical signal. This charge is an electric field. As
such it is similar to a magnetic field. If you put a piece of paper in
front of a magnet it won't stop it working. This is the case with the
diaphragm. The stator on the coated side of the diaphragm can directly
see the coating and hence the charge. But between the rear
stator and the charge is the diaphragm itself but this doesn't matter
because the diaphragm is invisible as far as the electric field is
concerned. This is fine as far as it goes and this is why most people
only coat one side but with the Quad treble panel there is
another consideration.

Anyone who has taken a bass or treble panel apart will notice that the
Quad diaphragms are coated on both sides. I tried to come
up with an answer as to why this was so. I could only guess that this
was because the original Quad coating was applied so
carelessly that it needed to be coated both sides to ensure the whole
surface of the diaphragm was driven.

I now believe that there is an extra reason which I had overlooked. As
soon as you apply the coating to one side only you
immediately have an imbalance. You should after all do the same to one
side of the diaphragm as the other to maintain balance.

I have learnt the following after repairing many diaphragms so this is
all practical experience.

When I repair an arced treble panel I clean the burned area and
re-insulate it with corona dope. This insulates the exposed area but
the dope is such that it never quite hardens. It always remains soft to
the touch and slightly sticky. I would then put the new
diaphragm in the panel and try it out. It was not unusual to notice that
when the high voltage supply was removed from the
diaphragm you would get a nasty crackling noise. I always put this down
to some minor leakage causing the diaphragm to crackle
but I now realise that this crackling was the diaphragm pulling away
from the area which has been repaired with corona dope. This
meant that the diaphragm was hitting the back stator and sticking there
until the high voltage supply was removed at which point the
diaphragm would gradually become unstuck from the corona dope and thus
cause the crackling. The question is why was the
[...]

Notice how he has not come to a conclusion why other repairers get ESL
to work OK with a membrane coating on one
side only of the membrane.

He talks about the exact same stiction problem I have found in the ERA
speakers, and
that is occurs where he has used anti corona paint just like I have to
stop arcing.
He doesn't say what exact anti corona paint he used but Isonel 642 I
have used indeed not a hard varnish
and it does remain very slightly sticky.
I though without the anti corona paint that I was getting stiction at
least
while the panel was turned on and EHT was present. This gave rise to
lots of arcs, and the
anti corona paint seemed like the best way to stop it.
The stiction prolem arrose again after applying the A.C paint, but
without much arcing,
but then the same slow release problem occurred as he has described.

So at least one guy out of 3 billion men has all my problems,
and you found him.

But I am not sure I understand his reasoning....

""""With a conductive coating on one side only it meant that the
front stator had a voltage induced on it and because these voltages were
the same charge they repelled each other. The effect of
this is to push the diaphragm hard against the back stator. The simple
cure for this is to coat both sides of the diaphragm thus
restoring balance to the panel."""""

He is talking about the mid-treble panel in a Quad ESL57.

The treble stators are held at the same 0V dc potential because they are
biased to 0V by either being
connected directly to the half way taps on each side of the 1:290 step
up tranny, or
else biased to 0V with resistors and driven wirh capacitors fromthe
transformer.
Thus the mid/treble panels have RC crossovers to prevent the high bass
voltage appearing
at the mid-treble stators and arcing.
The way Quad have done the crossovers doesn't look right to me because
the the RC used to stators
each side of the membrane are asymetrical.

Under severe overload, pssibly a rectification effect occurs, causing
temporary dc bias imbalance
of the stator with series resistance, so the membrane gets pulled more
to one side than the other.
Nothing is "induced". Induction is a term for magnetic applications;
currents can for example ne induced
in wiring running past a nearby transformer, but never does this happen
in electrostatic things like ESL.

He observes what he thinks causes a problem, but it could be dc bias
change due to rectification.
I can't be sure though myself, because I have not measured the dc
voltage across the resistors
in series with the driven stators.
In my case, I should measure the dc voltage across the driving resistors
to my bass panels which are suffering
the stiction problem

To stop the stiction remaining even when the panels are turned off, I am
trying
strings tied at 10mm across the bass panels and doped with silicone
paint,
which is thinned down clear caulking silcone from the hardware store
using white spirits.

But why one would get rectifying effects is beyond me.
I think an over driven membrane can begin touching both stators if
driven hard, and because
one side isn't coated its less sticky in contact with the AC paint, so
it does not stick,
and the side that sticks slightly more due to slight tackiness is the
uncoated side, and
that is the side which is chosen for the stiction when the attaction
overcomes the membrane tension
and it then flattens against the stator. It only takes a minute for the
glue effect to
cause more stiction than that caused only by the EHT.
In a test here my panels remained stuck over night, and had to be prised
off the stator with a bent bit of wire.

I would say the Quad method of assymetrical crossovers is BS. OK, I know
Walker had more brains than I have,
but I like symmetry to reign over assymetry, and I have tried 0.0033uF
and 50k resistors to feed
each treble stator in my ERA panels.

I don't seem to have a problem with stiction in the treble at all.
Distance between stators and membrane is about 2.2mm.
ERA said the perforated steel used for treble is thicker, but I couldn't
see much difference.
The thicker steel would give the closer distance to the membrane.

Pay particular attention to the spacing of the quad treble
panels....look familiar?

Its not like the ERA which have much bigger spacing.

"I now believe that there is an extra reason which I had overlooked. As
soon as you apply the coating to one side only you immediately have an
imbalance. You should after all do the same to one side of the diaphragm
as the other to maintain balance."

I think he believes something without reason. He spent time explaining
before
that that the charge on the coating applied to one side only is
interacting
equally with each stator; the thickness of mylar is completely
electrostatically transparent.

"The question is why was the diaphragm hitting the back stator hard ? I
now realise that this was being caused by the coating only being applied
to one side."

Nah, I was hitting BOTH sides, tackiness between the uncoated side and
the painted stator
initiated stiction.

"Because the charge is an electric field any conductive material in
close proximity with it will have a voltage induced onto it. Inside the
treble panel the stators are only 0.75mm away from the diaphragm. With a
conductive coating on one side only it meant that the front stator had a
voltage induced on it and because these voltages were the same charge
they repelled each other. The effect of this is to push the diaphragm
hard against the back stator.

****The simple cure for this is to coat both sides of the diaphragm thus
restoring balance to the panel****

It just does not ring true to me. I don't yet see enough reasons to coat
both sides
One may have to, but I cannot see reasons why that are elecronically or
correct in line with observed/described phenomena.

I'll be able to say more after I put in place the means to stop the
sticion in the ERA pass
panels.

One guy has coated his perforated steel stators by dipping them in
molten polythene
to give an insulation layer of 1mm on the surface of the steel.
So the membrane can't get closer than a mm to the steel, and polythene
isn't sticky, and at 1mm thick its not a bad anti corona treatment.
I doubt it could be applied in ESL57 speakers because its too thick a
coating.

http://www.ele.tut.fi/~artoko/audio/speakers/esl.html.

"The only question left is why do so many people only coat one side ? In
the case of other ESL designs I suspect the reason is that the diaphragm
is a sufficient distance from the stators as to make it impossible to
induce a voltage on them. Don't forget that other designs including the
ESL 63 use stator spacings of at least 6.5mm whereas the Quad treble
panel has a stator gap of only 1.5mm. This means the stator to diaphragm
distance is only 0.75mm so its not surprising that a voltage is induced.
As to how other ESL 57 repairers manage to only coat one side and make
them work is a mystery. Best to ask them."

I am struggling with my first ESL panel building experience.

Yes, and it seems you are hell bent on fixing them with string and
plumbers silicone.

I'm sure the proud new owner will be tickled pink.

He sure will if I can produce higher SPL, and with less input voltage,
and without stiction.

And the improvement should be something ERA should addopt for their
future efforts.

Due to the way the ERA speakers are constructed, it is impossible to
easily make their panels with
conductive coating applied to both sides of the membrane.

Say I could stretch out a membrane on a frame larger than the
panel size of 1,200mm x 600mm, like a window frame. Then I have access
to both sides which could be
coated before gluing on the support frames to each side which would have
to be 2mm thick plastic,
and have copper tracking within to make contact with the coating of both
sides.
This would make it 4 times more fiddly-diddly and difficult to get
right.

At present with ERA ESL-IIIB, which is a combined bass-mid-treble unit,
you stretch the membrane on a flat suface at least 900mm x 1500mm; an
old door isn't
a bad bench, and then you glue a prepared support frame with a stator
attatched onto the stretched out membrane.
Next day the excess membrane is cut around the outside of the frame,
weights removed
and you have a membrane nicely stuck to a frame with a stator one side.
This open side is then coated.

The other stators are in an identical second frame, and have a copper
foil track which glues to the frame,
leaving the bare metal side to contact the membrane coating of the first
half frame with membrane on it.
Nylon bolts hold the two frame haves together in the panel centre area,
and PVC channels snap fit around the external perimeter.

I cannot fault the way ERA have presented their physical construction of
their speakers.

The CEO at ERA is a little shy, and doesn't talk much about what must
have been his failures
when he R&D'd the first ESL he tried to make.
I see room for improvement to sensitivity and reliability.

I can be a little caustic about it all, but its all for a good cause,
and in favour
of the people affected, ERA themselves, my customer, and myself, and the
world at large.

I am glad you posted what you have.

Patrick Turner.

Sean