Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Default Critical v Optimal

Our meaning of critical seems to have become confused with optimal.

Critical damping has a specific meaning, where something arrives at
its destination without overshoot or undershoot. Underdamping results
in overshoot. Overdamping results in dawdling meanders.

For most systems, critical damping is too slow. For optimal damping,
you pick an acceptable degree of error, and apply sufficient damping
to ensure that the system settles within that error in the shortest
possible time. The desirable result is always slightly underdamped.

So critical damping is hardly, if ever, optimal.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario

On Apr 16, 10:42 am, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:
Our meaning of critical seems to have become confused with optimal.

Critical damping has a specific meaning, where something arrives at
its destination without overshoot or undershoot. Underdamping results
in overshoot. Overdamping results in dawdling meanders.

For most systems, critical damping is too slow. For optimal damping,
you pick an acceptable degree of error, and apply sufficient damping
to ensure that the system settles within that error in the shortest
possible time. The desirable result is always slightly underdamped.

So critical damping is hardly, if ever, optimal.

Ian

PID... er, that should be QED.
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Ian Iveson wrote:

Our meaning of critical seems to have become confused with optimal.

Critical damping has a specific meaning, where something arrives at
its destination without overshoot or undershoot. Underdamping results
in overshoot. Overdamping results in dawdling meanders.

For most systems, critical damping is too slow.

What do you mean by 'slow' ????

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Eeyore wrote:

Ian Iveson wrote:

Our meaning of critical seems to have become confused with optimal.

Critical damping has a specific meaning, where something arrives at
its destination without overshoot or undershoot. Underdamping results
in overshoot. Overdamping results in dawdling meanders.

For most systems, critical damping is too slow.

What do you mean by 'slow' ????

Graham

Its part of "Iveson-speak", that strange language composed
to look deep and meaningful, but isn't.

You can read a page of Iveson-speak, and be none the wiser.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 02:57:23 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

You can read a page of Iveson-speak, and be none the wiser.

Some can.

Chris Hornbeck

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but
that's not why we do it," - Richard Feynman.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:42:40 GMT, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

Our meaning of critical seems to have become confused with optimal.

Critical damping has a specific meaning, where something arrives at
its destination without overshoot or undershoot. Underdamping results
in overshoot. Overdamping results in dawdling meanders.

For most systems, critical damping is too slow. For optimal damping,
you pick an acceptable degree of error, and apply sufficient damping
to ensure that the system settles within that error in the shortest
possible time. The desirable result is always slightly underdamped.

So critical damping is hardly, if ever, optimal.

Not much response to this polemic, so you're gonna have to
be a lot more specific about applications. Generically, it's
just shouting on a street corner.

Surely you have something more interesting in mind...

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"For one swallow does not make a summer,
nor does one day;
And so too one day, or a short time,
Or a great deed, does not make a man
Blessed or happy."
- Aristotle, _Nicomachaen Ethics_
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Chris Hornbeck wrote

Our meaning of critical seems to have become confused with optimal.

Critical damping has a specific meaning, where something arrives at
its destination without overshoot or undershoot. Underdamping
results
in overshoot. Overdamping results in dawdling meanders.

For most systems, critical damping is too slow. For optimal damping,
you pick an acceptable degree of error, and apply sufficient damping
to ensure that the system settles within that error in the shortest
possible time. The desirable result is always slightly underdamped.

So critical damping is hardly, if ever, optimal.

Not much response to this polemic, so you're gonna have to
be a lot more specific about applications. Generically, it's
just shouting on a street corner.

Surely you have something more interesting in mind...

Polemic? Shouting? Just a gentle warning.

"Mind the step!"

I didn't have a thread in mind. Should I really explain the meaning of
slow? Sometimes I get tired.

Swinging doors, wiggles on square waves.

"The last train is now departing from platform 12"

cheers, Ian

"For one swallow does not make a summer,
nor does one day;
And so too one day, or a short time,
Or a great deed, does not make a man
Blessed or happy."