Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Where did all the tubies go?

Andy Evans is right. There used to be real tube talk on RAT. Now
there's a bunch of tacky radio restorers and fools with a dire self-
image shortfall.

Yech!

I go away for a couple of weeks to do bike electronics and return to
find hardly anything worth reading and only one intelligent question
-- from West -- worth answering.

The same people are still beating internal NFB in triodes to death
with pinpricks. Sheesh, fellers, either you believe the observable
anomalies in triode results is caused by invisible NFB, or you
conclude that pentodes are naturally, permanently and irredeemably
(nice word on Easter Sunday) inferior. But neither party will convince
the other.

What a waste of time.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Andre Jute wrote:

I go away for a couple of weeks to do bike electronics

Bwahahahahahahahaha !

Bike ELECTRONICS eh ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Eeyore wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

I go away for a couple of weeks to do bike electronics

Bwahahahahahahahaha !

Bike ELECTRONICS eh ?

Graham

Laugh all you like. We don't mind.

But some of us actually do some exercize, and while on a bicycle
at the same time. 15 years ago I had a cyclometer which worked off
magnetic pulses off the rotation a little magnet on the front wheel.
I was able to record time of the ride elapsed, and average speed, and
full stop watch function,
so i could measure the distance I'd raced or trained, and how long I'd
taken,
and by how many minutes I had been beaten when
I saw the winner's time in the newspaper on the monday after saturday's
race.
The damned thing didn't tell me about the weather though, and it got
soaked internally a
a few times, and had to be replaced.

I stopped cycling for about 13 years and took it up again last July,
but at 59 I don't need to know anything exactly about what I do on the
bicycle.
Its a bit like I don't need to analyse everything that can be analysed
with amplifiers
I build now.
I'm not competing seriously anymore, but if I did I'd probably go
about the same speed as other guys of 59. Big deal. Its a lot slower
than the guys of 29 go.
I just can't get a big kick
out of trying to be leader of the pack any more, or even just being part
of the pack,
which was mainly why i raced; the cut and thrust of competion is
intoxicating while you are young,
but somewhat knee busting now, and I'm less social.

And nowdays, if I had any kind of electronic meter on the bike, it'd be
all what the old meter was
and have a heartrate monitor.
And and something to tell me how many calories I'd burned, and such a
thing would have all the
other bells and whistles now possible that were not available 15 years
ago
like having a complete history of the ride stored in memory, hil climb
elevation changes,
speed changes, and all downloadable into a PC for display and analysis
along with heart rate
counts, fat burn counts, carbobhydrate burn, maybe even water use.
Maybe even GPS positioning, map related, so the streets I'd ridden down
could be identified...
I say "If" I had a meter now. I don't yearn for one; I know when a
hard hill climb has nearly caused a heart attack while I overtook a 39
old.
I don't need to have a meter tell me I have
revved the heart more than my doctor would approve of. I shouldn't
really fear though because
I have always found it impossible to raise my heart rate enough to
theoretically
move enough blood around fast enough to be able to get a good time trial
time.
Other guys find this much more easy, so they get better times, so
perhaps their own
body's internal electrical signals involving will to go for it, and
heart stimulation signals
and pain bariers are all more functional than mine. Do they more likely
die of heart failure?
Who knows, one takes a chance or two or one lives a dull life.
Seems like all this stuff can now be measured more fully....
If I was 25 and considering trying to win the Tour De France, training
with something that allowed
full and complete measuring of me and my effort for the best coaches to
view could well mean the
having a real racing edge, and earn me lots of money, so electronics on
bikes isn't as silly
for some as you may think.
I imagine Lance Armstrong, one of the best cyclists that this recent era
has produced
probably was well monitored electronically and guided by what was
measured.

The chess world is now dominated by electronics, ie, computer analysis.
If you want to be world champion, you must study all the past recorded
games of your
future oponents, and apply Deep Fritz 8 etc, and be able to remember
what
moves to to play on the day of a tournament.
Everyone playing chess seriously is furiously reading books AND using
chess playing
programs which play better than 99.9999% of all human players.
The quality and complexity of reasoning used in the top games now played
has never been greater.
I can't bring myself to waste time playing serious club based chess, and
it'd be painful.
I'd lose against the loliest of the club players.
But hey, none of those guys ride very far on a bicycle, and not a single
one one them
takes music seriously, or knows about triodes, or has ever built
anything electronic.
Many are dangerous trying to do any trade work. But a few are math
teachers, and the very best are
usually only good at chess, all other things seem to be a bit dodgy,
like relationships, holding jobs down
or staying sane and not obsessive.

Electronics is heare to stay and affects all our lives, and will intrude
more and more.
Cures for Alzimers disease could include consciousness chips being
implanted to
replace old fuddy duddy ****ed up organic brain cells......

The future with electronics beckons as we heard very gradually and
slowly toward
real and applyable artificial intelligence.
And no doubt chess playing implant chips might revolutionize chess as we
know it,
and the brightest players in 100 years may have a damned head full of
silicon.
Drinking a few cups of coffee won't brighten up your game.

Blokes should be able to ride bicycles a lot faster in 2107, weather
permitting, since
many people then will have genetically engineered physiologies,
since we will have cast off the present inhibitions to such progress.

There is a lot of money to be made in all this electro-trickery smoke
and mirrors.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Apr 8, 9:48 am, "Andrew Jute McCoy" micturated:

I go away for a couple of weeks to do bike electronics and return to
find hardly anything worth reading and only one intelligent question
-- from West -- worth answering.

"Bike electronics" for the calculator-challenged... much as your KISS
amp is for the electronically challenged. The former tells you nothing
that a simple calculator, your weight and average speed can't tell
you... and the latter does nothing at tall.

As to your Timmee... you do have it well-trained, I admit. At least
you have accomplished something with an observable result.

Oh, let's see *your* answer to that question....

Should be fascinating.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Eeyore wrote

Bike ELECTRONICS eh ?

Rather than keeping a tally of how effectively they have wasted energy
getting nowhere, these eco-yobs would be better employed if they
attached their machines to stationary generators and plugged
themselves into the national grid.

At the very least, you'd think they could give the granny next door a
croggy to the supermarket.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Ian Iveson wrote:

Eeyore wrote

Bike ELECTRONICS eh ?

Rather than keeping a tally of how effectively they have wasted energy
getting nowhere, these eco-yobs would be better employed if they
attached their machines to stationary generators and plugged
themselves into the national grid.

At the very least, you'd think they could give the granny next door a
croggy to the supermarket.

But the question we need to know the answer to is......

Are these bikes fitted with thermionic electronics ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Graham wrote

But the question we need to know the answer to is......

Are these bikes fitted with thermionic electronics ?

Do they have to be thermionic? What about nixies and decatrons?

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

That braying ass Eeyore, aka Graham Stevenson, wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

I go away for a couple of weeks to do bike electronics

Bwahahahahahahahaha !

Bike ELECTRONICS eh ?

Graham

How typical of you, Poopie, to sneer at what you know nothing about,
and lack the brains to understand when it is explained to you.

My latest bike has adaptive suspension, automatically hard when going
slowly or going up hills to save pedalling energy for forward motion,
soft when going quickly for comfort. It has electrically changed
gears, also adaptive in 24 programs to the rider's effort, related to
road and pedalling speed and so on. When I stop, the gears change
automatically to put me in the right gear for starting off again, and
the suspension is automatically set to hard so I don't waste energy
compressing the suspension. The lights switch on automatically when it
is dark and the bike is moving. And off again automatically, of
course.

Why don't you try moving into the 21st century, Poopie? Who knows, you
might like it. This is 2007, sonny; set your clock forward.

******

And here is what I wrote originally, from which you took your dumb
soundbite to sneer at:

******

[...]

*******

PS I delayed sending my reply to Poopie so that a few other dumb
clucks could have an opportunity once more to display their dire
ignorance. Worthless Wiecky and Ian "The Last Commie" Iveson already
dived face-first into the staked pit. Poopie, Worthless and the little
pinkocommiefellowtraveller are positively the best arguments I know
for proactive sterilization programmes. Come back, Sanjit Ghandi, all
is forgiven.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Patrick Turner wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Sure, I have one of those too, a Ciclosport HAC4, which along with my
heart rate, the altitude, the pedalling cadence and many, many more
functions than I ever had time to read about (multiple stopwatches for
heart recovery rates in various aerobic bands), actually tells bike
speed and distance. But its main advantage is that I easily gimmicked
the Windoze software that came with it to work on my Mac, so I can
send printout of my exercise to my doctor. Never do, of course, now
that the echo-scans discovered I have the heart of an ox.

But that's not the sort of electronics I'm talking. This is heavy
stuff, adaptive suspension and electronic gearchanges in various
modes. See my other post in which I put Poopie down; there's a more
detailed description in there.

Andre Jute
Impedance is futile, you will be simulated into the triode of the
Borg. -- Robert Casey

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

The nitwit scribe Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Ok.

How about posting a link to this hot **** for cyclists ? It sounds interesting.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

The Last Commie, Ian Iveson, wrote:
Eeyore wrote

Bike ELECTRONICS eh ?

Rather than keeping a tally of how effectively they have wasted energy
getting nowhere, these eco-yobs would be better employed if they
attached their machines to stationary generators and plugged
themselves into the national grid.

At the very least, you'd think they could give the granny next door a
croggy to the supermarket.

Ian

Really, Iveson, the educational authority which entrusts the minds of
the next generation to you must be smoking bad dope. You're as bad as
that moron Worthless Wiecky, and that public nuisance Poopie,
automatically assuming I'm talking about some little bike speed
computer. What makes it worse is that you have had years of
opportunity to notice (and we know from comments by you that did
notice) that with me it is never simple, yet you still make the same
bovine footinthemouth error, you still dive facefirst into the same
pit I stake for genetic detritus like Worthless and Poopie.

And not just once, twice. You also assume, without the slightest
evidence, that I cycle because I am Green. There are a million other
reasons for cycling. Being poor. A desire to be fit. The pleasure of
the quiet lanes in the countryside. Breathing fresh air.

For your information, no, I wasn't talking about some little bike
speed computer, I was talking about electronically adapted suspension
and electronically changed gears, and other electronic services on the
bicycle.

And no, while my reasons for cycling are none of your business, I'm no
kind of Green; if you had been paying attention in this very
conference, you would have learned repeatedly that I despise the
Greens as exceedingly dangerous fanatics and wreckers, indeed as mass-
murderers (for instance by banning harmless DDT, which in turn frees
the mosquito to kill millions of the most defenseless people in the
world, including children), a form of received religion entirely
immune to scientific enquiry.

You're wrong on two counts out of two, Iveson. Par for the course.

I really thought you had more brains than Worthless Wiecky. I'm
disappointed in you.

Once in while, before it is too late, you should try putting your mind
in gear. Who knows, you might like the experience enough to make a
habit of it.

Andre Jute
The trouble with most people is not what they don't know, but what
they know for certain that isn't true. ---Mark Twain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Donkeyspam wrote:
Andrew Jute the 'alleged author' wrote:

....and if you can read, Poopie, you may visit some of my books at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html
Enjoy!

[...]

Sure thing, Poopie; I'm here to provide information to the least of my
fellow-men. Hail the ARRL!

Here's the Shimano Di2 Nexave Cyber Nexus groupset with internal hub
gears:
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/...=1176072328466

And here is the Shimano Di2 C810 groupset for derailleur gears:
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/...=1176072384684

Are we next going to see your fat backside overflowing a bicycle,
Poopie, now that they change gears automatically and require no skill?

There are photos of me cycling hard in:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html

Andre Jute
The trouble with most people is not what they don't know, but what
they know for certain that isn't true. ---Mark Twain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
APR APR is offline

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...

Now there's a bunch of tacky radio restorers and fools with a dire self-
image shortfall.

Yech!

Andrew, you certainly don't suffer from a "self-image shortfall".
What a puffed up piece of human garbage!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

APR wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...

Now there's a bunch of tacky radio restorers and fools with a dire self-
image shortfall.

Yech!

Andrew, you certainly don't suffer from a "self-image shortfall".

Yes, we can see why that should bother you.

What a puffed up piece of human garbage!

I hate to disillusion the innocence of someone who agrees with me as
wholeheartedly as you do, but it isn't just one tacky radio restorer,
it's a multitude of tacky radio restorers all selling their wretched
**** to each other on RAT. And it a thunderous multitude of fools with
dire self-image problems. Why, just one of them, Poopie Stevenson, is
so fat, and so loud, and so industriously obnoxious, he counts for
five normal ****heads.

So, perhaps you sentence should read:

What puffed up pieceS of human garbage!

or, better still, more pointedly and directly and universally, all of
which add authority:

What puffed up human garbage!

Hope this helps you express yourself more clearly in future, my dear
Arf. (BTW, are you the Arf in the shaggy dog story?)

Andre Jute
Habit is the nursery of errors. -- Victor Hugo

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

Default Where did all the tubies go? Constructing a Golden Calf

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 8, 9:48 am, "Andrew Jute McCoy" micturated:

I go away for a couple of weeks to do bike electronics and return to
find hardly anything worth reading and only one intelligent question
-- from West -- worth answering.

"Bike electronics" for the calculator-challenged... much as your KISS
amp is for the electronically challenged. The former tells you nothing
that a simple calculator, your weight and average speed can't tell
you... and the latter does nothing at tall.

As to your Timmee... you do have it well-trained, I admit. At least
you have accomplished something with an observable result.

Oh, let's see *your* answer to that question....

Should be fascinating.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Andre, while you were away on Mt Sinai, your children misbehaved terribly.
For example, I was attacked by Weick & Yeager because my question re tubes
did not qualify for their self imposed RAT admittance criteria. I don't even
know this weick character, but before you answer him, check out the thread
below "Parting Out Vintage Receivers" by West 4/8/07, 4:01 PM and get a
revelation into his "character." IOW, don't waste any time on this
charlatan.
Glad your back to restore some order.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:
Andre, while you were away on Mt Sinai, your children misbehaved terribly.
For example, I was attacked by Weick & Yeager because my question re tubes
did not qualify for their self imposed RAT admittance criteria.

Pay no attention to those two twerps. They have between them not a
single original bone in their bodies, or thought in their heads. Even
the entry barrier is a hoary old idea that we have stomped several
times before. Creepy Mike LaFevre and Pompass Pasternack tried to
claim one requires an engineering qualification to post to RAT to keep
me out; see what happened to them. Honestly, one has to wonder at the
sanity of some of these jokers.

I don't even
know this weick character, but before you answer him, check out the thread
below "Parting Out Vintage Receivers" by West 4/8/07, 4:01 PM and get a
revelation into his "character." IOW, don't waste any time on this
charlatan.

Nah, I have Worthless Wiecky in my killfile. He doesn't know anything
I want to know, he isn't amusing, so I don't even see what he writes,
never mind wasting time replying.

Glad your back to restore some order.

I laughed out loud when I read that. Order is for the fascist
mentalities like Worthless and Yeager and control freaks like Poopie.
Their impulse isn't actually order, it is control, so that no one can
rise above them and make them feel inferior; for that inferior,
obscene motive, they intend to stunt everyone to their depressing
level of stupidity and lack of achievement. Intelligent people with
something to contribute thrive on disorganized chaos. No, I'm under no
illusion that my "order" will be any better than that instituted in
the most despicable dreams of Ludwig and Iveson, the resident Ur-
Communists, just more amusing. Let a thousand flowers bloom. Death to
the tall- poppy loppers.

west

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Eeyore wrote

Bike ELECTRONICS eh ?

Rather than keeping a tally of how effectively they have wasted energy
getting nowhere, these eco-yobs would be better employed if they
attached their machines to stationary generators and plugged
themselves into the national grid.

At the very least, you'd think they could give the granny next door a
croggy to the supermarket.

Ian

Ian, with your efforts to inform us in mind, and with caring regard to
phartolgy, it would be appropriate
to use a gas-ometer to measure your input of energy to the national gass
pipe network.
Alas I fear it uses more energy to consume the gas you offer than is
heat gained by its burning.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Gee Andre,

I am a far too determined a minimalist to want a bicycle with all the
bells and whistles you have refered to above, and in addition to those I
nominated
for the serious sportsman in another post.

The less I have on the bike, the better. So I clean it sometimes.
I dunno any shiela across town who's worth rooting after hours, so I
don't need lights.
When it rains, I get wet. Mudguards don't help much, and electronics
have a bad habit of not
working in the damp.

No amount of electonics make hills any easier to ride over, and they
don't slow headwinds, which should all be
blowing slower because countless windmills have been erected all over
the country to stop
greenhouse emissions, and ruin the tranquil views that attract folks to
a rural life.

Patrick Turner.

******

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Apr 8, 7:37 pm, "west" wrote:
[...]

west- Hide quoted text -

West... I would call you "Westie", but as I own a VW of that
designation, I would not belittle it with your appendage... the term
you are searching for is "Timmee". Andre will explain.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article 1VfSh.2470$%l5.25@trnddc05, west at wrote on
4/8/07 8:37 PM:

[...]

Oh Papa! I missed you so much! But I keep a copy of your shadowy photo
above my bed, and I cooked my favorite dish, your pasta puto from your web
recipe every evening while you were gone.

Tell me, did you see Elohim while you were on the mount? And did he
inscribe some indelible commandments on silicon for you to share with your
flock?

Master, I await your next (and every) word. I am your tool.

West

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm Calvinist, so I'm by birth and
destination and training and inclination a minimalist too; hedonism is
a hard-acquired taste. But I already had a bike with hub gears and
front suspension and other luxuries like splash guards and a plush
seat, so the extra weight of the motor to change the gears and the
computer to control it all and the display unit isn't all that much,
because it is all lightweight stuff and you're throwing off a cast/
forged rotary control. In addition or, rather, in subtraction, I am
also designing a stainless steel frame that will be lighter than the
thick ali of my original hub gear Gazelle Toulouse by many kilo, and
lighter even by a kilo or so than the Trek ali chassis I currently
have the electronic gear on. All in all, the electronic bike will be
about 6 or 7 kilo, possibly as much as 15 pounds, lighter than the old
one... Okay, so some people have entire racing bikes that weigh that
much; so what -- I'm not racing, I'm taking in the scenery or talking,
taking social rides.

The less I have on the bike, the better. So I clean it sometimes.

Clean it? You're joking, of course. I used to drive really filthy
Porsche (in sunshine yellow, so the filth would really stand out), and
once threatened to fire a driver who insisted on washing and polishing
the Bentley. My experience is that people think that anyone who can
drive a car that filthy will also not care if it is crushed a little
against their shining, polished pride and joy, and consequently are in
a real rush to get the hell out of my way. I don't wash my bike
either. On the Gazelle I sit taller than the drivers of Range Rovers,
bend to look them in the eye, then cut them off in traffic with
impunity. If my bike were clean, they'd cut me off; most of those
buggers, and all their wives, have no idea at all about where the
corners of their landyacht are. They'd hit me for sure if they saw a
clean bike and thought I cared, and consequently cut me off.

I dunno any shiela across town who's worth rooting after hours, so I
don't need lights.
When it rains, I get wet.

I have a cycling cloak that I imported from the Netherlands but it
gets very little use. Even my yellow paclite jacket is used more often
as a windbreak than to keep me dry. My rides are rarely so long or so
urgent that I can't shelter from the worst of the rain under a tree,
or can't reach home and a hot bath even in persistent rain before the
cold reaches the marrow. The persistent drizzle we in Ireland call "a
soft day" has long since ceased to bother me. What really hurts is
hail; we have hail perhaps twice a year and each time I am caught in
it.

Mudguards don't help much, and electronics
have a bad habit of not
working in the damp.

Is that right? I'll have to take your word for it. Only electronics I
ever had that refused to work was a fuse panel in my wife's Volvo
estate. Made by Lucas, Prince of Darkness, of course. Worse than the
spaghetti merchants at Magneto Marelli.

No amount of electonics make hills any easier to ride over,

Rubbish. I ride up the hills without thinking about which gear to be
in, without wasting time and energy being in the wrong gear, and
trying to remember whether the 31 gear inch ratio is two up at the
front and four down at the back or some other forgotten combo. All I
do is punch the button under my right thumb twice to drop the gearbox
mode from sport through normal into little old lady mode, which is
good for hills. The sports mode won't let me use a gear lower than
second, and the normal mode is what I already have on another bike,
which is just the eight hub gears at my normal energy expenditure -- I
dinna spend the money to do the same thing! But the little old lady
mode (Shimano calls it L for leisure) lowers the expected rate of work
so that on a familiar hill my pulse rate was 30bpm lower than when I
went up there the previous week on a manual bike. The ascent was
clearly easier. That the electronics automatically harden or lock out
the suspension when you're travelling slowly or steeply uphill also
helps, and probably substantially, but I can't see how one would
reliably quantify the contribution of the adaptive suspension.

and they
don't slow headwinds, which should all be
blowing slower because countless windmills have been erected all over
the country to stop
greenhouse emissions, and ruin the tranquil views that attract folks to
a rural life.

They don't put those up near me. I made a phone call to the flat of
the relevant pol's mistress to remind him that about 440AD my
ancestors ate his ancestors' livers, a tradition I might just
resurrect; the windmills got "reevaluated", code for cancelled.
Windmills don't work, will never pay for themselves, aren't as silent
as nuclear power. The only good thing about windmills is that they
kill a lot of crows and seagulls; on the other hand, they also kill
worthwhile birds like swans and geese and ducks. Together with some
environmentalists I was walking with, I cooked and ate a swan that a
windmill killed; it was as tough as badly hung beef even though it
smelled high enough...

Patrick Turner.

Ride tall.

Andre Jute
Trick-cyclist

******

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Hi RATs!

Oh, uh, Jute, I just got a CPAP machine and am sleeping it on ...

What is all this tubie business? We have wandered far afield from
thermionic joys.

I am listening to an SS contrivance from McIntosh, I bought it on Ebay
and shipped it home for a rebuild, I am too old to dare freshen a
three legged fuse, nor its neighbors. It is a gift to the kid. He may
accept thermionic conversion, one day, but this gives his ear good
vibes in the interim. Or interegnum, it he persists ... he married a
beautiful Catholic, the Earth spins ...

Sounds good enough. Not the same as tubes, but, decent. We train
ourselves to hear anomolies in the sound and then scream foul. Silly
bitch hi-fi martyrs.

Bit silly, really. Home audio is a desperate pleasure at best. Often
it teaches only disgust and fear.

Hoping spring arrives and you are taken by unforseen passion. It is
pleasant enough here, but the only news is sleep.

Go figure.

Happy Ears!

Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eiron Eiron is offline

Andre Jute crawled out from under a rock and crossposted to uk.rec.audio:

I go away for a couple of weeks to do bike electronics

This must be a new definition of 'do,' meaning to buy a complete
solution from Shimano and get the local bike shop to fit it.
Of course, suspension is pointless on a road bike as, if set up
correctly, the legs act as perfect shock absorbers. Things may be
different if you are stupid enough to ride a Dutch town bicycle.

--
Eiron

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Andre Jute wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

No, you still cannot convince me to use all that electronica al junka
on de bicycle.

And I know what gear automatically to ride with. I have the two change
levers on the down tubes still
but sonner or later I will wear out all the ancient 1987 Shimano 600
stuff, and need at
least new rear cluster, chain, and perhaps I get an index changer for
the handlebars
so gears will be easier to change, and less clunky; its always a bother
to have to
remember to change gear before stopping at lights or intersection so you
can start off fast
to get across traffic almost constantly coming at you.

I have 753 and 953 framed bikes, and weight is what the racing standards
were in 1990.
Last time I fell off, the frame kinda bounced, but didn't bend, all was
well,
maybe I have done about 50,000km on that bike. Certainly 7,000km since
last July.
It hasn't been bad, but then not as interesting if i'd done that
distance across Russia,
although had I attempted that I might well be a ghost, long since having
been
run down by a Vodka soaked lorry driver.

I didn't think bikes got all that much lighter once you go away from
a good steel tube frame. Who cares? the weight only slows you up hills,
and
its the man weight, age and condition that controls hill speeds.
Having a bike 2Kg lighter with 30 gear speeds won't make much difference
the time it takes around town.
There's a hill that rises about 180M in 3kms across town I often ride,
and I used to do it in about 12minutes and with 48 x 16 gears in 1990.
Last July I strugged with a 23 rear cog, but after losing weight and
gaining power
I now use the 17, and maybe I take 15minutes, I don't bother timing
myself.
But I still catch and pass many younger riders, while remaining
comfortable at
what seems about the same as ever at about 140 max.
One day a young dude who I overtook near the top stopped for a chat at
the top.
He was 20, but hadn't ridden much since emigrating here to Oz.
He'd bought $20 bike at a garage sale.
On the way down the hill, we rolled most of the way and his speed
remained the same as mine,
despite his fatter tyres and not so good machine. Physics does not
change for those who
spend more on lightweight gear. Some old banger with 32mm tyres will
roll just as easy as someone
with the latest 20mm tyres. Its a myth that lighter wheels are lot
faster.
Research on the web showed me how little wheel weight mattered,
especially at my age and power and at
low average speeds I am only capable of.

I just do not need a computer to decide what gear I should use.
Most of the climb is done not sitting down..

A kilo here or there is nothing, and I'm 77Kg, heavy and tall for a
cyclist,
so I need a good solid frame, and of course
some 60Kg shorter person will have a lighter bike.
I once saw a girl out on a really small frame, and 26" wheels with 20mm
tyres,
and her bike would have been very light, but its ratio to her own weight
may not have been much better than with mine.
She had no trouble staying up with the bunch she was in who were all
mainly young men under 40.
I'll never be an Indurain on hills, and when I have gone out on early
mornings
when the keener young athletes are riding, I get passed and it makes me
feel very slow.
But all those young guys would be passed by others of elite standing,
and rare it is that I ever am around when the guys are out from the
Australian Institute of Sport.
They move like greased lightning....
Their Oz headquarters are only a few Km away.

It just feels good being alive and riding
rather than so old and decrepit that i cannot.

A few ppl here are riding recumbent bikes.
I mainly pass these guys real easy anywhere, despite their reputation
for being quicker than an
upright. Only once did some 30 yr old manage to pull away from me on a
flat section of road one day.
Heck, I was giving him a 29year start advantage.
Out on the road they are real dangerous I think. You don't notice them
so easily in a car.
Lying down to ride does not impress me, although if I wanted to do a
landspeed record
across salt flats it could be the way to go.

I quite like swimming now as well, and regret not
spending the extra $3,000 to have made my pool 4M longer back in 1983.

Soon the weather will be cold, and I'll be off to the local public 50M
indoor heated pool,
and that will be a nice change until september when my pool will be
back up to a swimable temperature. But in the larger pool technique with
water can be improved.
I can stay all day for $5 at such a place, and in winter numbers are
down,
and although a pool is a bit claustrophobic, it is another world.

Patrick Turner.

******

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:
Hi RATs!

Oh, uh, Jute, I just got a CPAP machine and am sleeping it on ...

What is a CPAP machine. Did you DIY it?

What is all this tubie business? We have wandered far afield from
thermionic joys.

I am listening to an SS contrivance from McIntosh,

Most of us listen to solid state all the time. What do you think a CD
player is? I also have a reliable, solid Quad 405 Mk II power amp and
a solid, reliable full-featured (mono switch, anyone? -- very useful
for DIY in the rest of the chain) Quad 34 control amp sitting
permanently at my left hand. The tube amp de jour stands on top of or
beside that lot.

Right now I'm listening to Stax headphones via a (horrors) bought
silicon amp; it is actually excellent. I designed and built a nice
octal tube OTL to drive my Stax but that is now in Japan (all the good
audio gear migrates East -- even the Quad II set I'm keeping for my
old age was repatriated from Japan) and I got distracted from building
the revised version by bicycling matters. I have a row of related
designs to drive electrostatic earphones but you can see in this
thread why I can't be bothered to publish them and discuss them on
RAT. Too many mindless little scumbags sitting around without any
intention of sharing information and goodwill, merely waiting for
someone to fail so they can gloat. One has to wonder about the quality
of their lives -- but not for long; they are depressingly common.

I bought it on Ebay
and shipped it home for a rebuild, I am too old to dare freshen a
three legged fuse, nor its neighbors.

That reminds me. I have a Velleman Digital Preamp that my boy started
work on but lost interest in after fitting a handfull of parts. I put
it aside to complete later but a few years later my eyes and patience
are not up to soldering that many tiny joints. You want it, Sander,
it's yours for the postage.

It is a gift to the kid. He may
accept thermionic conversion, one day, but this gives his ear good
vibes in the interim. Or interegnum, it he persists ... he married a
beautiful Catholic, the Earth spins ...

Still? Good God, what shocking news from Phoenix, Father.

Sounds good enough. Not the same as tubes, but, decent. We train
ourselves to hear anomolies in the sound and then scream foul. Silly
bitch hi-fi martyrs.

Actually, one of the very worst amps that I ever heard is a Leak
Stereo 30 Plus, an early silicon amp. You'd think with Harold Leak's
experience in building excellent tube amps... But no, it is utmost
crap. I stripped it out to turn the plugs, sockets and switches into a
control center for comparison testing of review gear and DIY builds.
It's in photos in my reviews in Glass Audio, if you care all that much
for late 50's British "styling" -- buttons all over the facia, zero
ergonomics, zero integration. Still, it save me drilling and folding a
box.

Bit silly, really. Home audio is a desperate pleasure at best. Often
it teaches only disgust and fear.

You may be taking a very long time to die, Al, but I'm only about two
thirds through my life and I'm not an audiophile (try this test: I
can't even begin to count my discs, and they are certainly worth more
than even my excess of plutocratic audio gear). I'm listening to my
first box of Haendel, about 250-300 discs, and hearing only the
soaring joy (if Haendel feared the eternal fire, he certainly hid it
well), and I'm riding in the spring saying hallo to the animals I know
in the countryside, or at least their offspring. Unfortunately my
pike, a ferociously hungry fish, which lived in a culvert I often sit
on to eat my lunch, appears to have migrated to a fatter stream or to
have died. Still, another will come along. My herons are now such a
flock, I can no longer tell them apart even with the aid of a long
lens.

You'll enjoy this. I'm sitting on a bridge, hard at work on my
fitness, when some old chappie stumbles past, fists pumping 2rpm below
his knees, bent over so low you can almost imagine him disappearing
slowly into the road until nothing but the illusion of his passing
remains. In these parts you make a greeting when you meet people on
the road (blow-ins, foreigners and suchlike are the ones who don't
greet you even from their cars, a few fingers raised from the wheel
being considered polite). So I said to this old chappie, four klicks
from town, "You will surely live to be ninety, sir," and he snapped
right back, "I'm already over ninety, sonny."

Hoping spring arrives and you are taken by unforseen passion. It is
pleasant enough here, but the only news is sleep.

See above. I'll publish a photo essay of one of my rides; it's sitting
on my desktop awaiting formatting as soon as I finish coresponding.
(Sure, I can spell correspondent. I like the pun on unforeseen passion
better.)

Go figure.

No math, if you don't mind. Computer models are good, and a tame
engineer chained under the table who gets no food until he finishes my
math. The whole point about intelligence is that it can be used to
invent labour-saving devices.

Happy Ears!

Al

Slainte!

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Eiron wrote:
Andre Jute crawled out from under a rock and crossposted to uk.rec.audio:

It was a very nice rock shadily overhanging a charming cove beside a
stream on whose grasstopped bosom I slept away the midday heat. On the
underside of the rock was inscribed in letters of fi

OH YE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO LIVE AND RIDE HERE, PITY THE POOR WAGE
SLAVES IN THEIR HELLISH FOUNDRIES AND TICKY-TACKY HOVELS IN ENGLAND.

...and crossposted to uk.rec.audio

And when I oBjected, "But I do," the ****ing rock flashed, "NOT
ENOUGH! EDUCATE THE IGNORAMUS EIRON ABOUT TRUE BICYCLING!"

It's a real wake-up call when a rock pities you, eh, Eiron.

I go away for a couple of weeks to do bike electronics

This must be a new definition of 'do,' meaning to buy a complete
solution from Shimano

Sure it is, sonny. First, I consider what control is desirable which
is a nice detour through physics. A bike has some very, very odd
handling phenomena, did you know? Clearly not. Then I consider what is
achievable. Then I make an outline design from standard parts out of
the RS and Farnell catalogues. Then I price building a prototype. When
I come out of intensive care, I buy the groupset from Shimano. It does
everything I though necessary, and a bit besides (I don't see the
point of rear suspension except for dirtjumpers).

You of course, ride a common or garden "road" bike you bought in a
shop, or more likely second hand from someone who saw you coming, and
preyed on you fashion-victim desire to belong to a group. But you feel
adequate to the task of sneering at someone who has curiosity and the
energy to inform himself and then to act on the information.
Congratulions, Eiron, for letting your psyche hang out in public. What
will you expose next?

and get the local bike shop to fit it.

My bike mechanic is nearly eighty. I just let him do the heavy
lifting, bending, fiddly work in impossible places while hanging by
his knees from the rafters, suchlike. Clean, light assembly of new
parts I always graciously undertake myself, if flattered in advance
and overpaid for it in proportion to my position in the food chain.
It's a good choice to have. Let me give you a tip, Eiron: Always wear
gloves, then the grease cannot get under your fingernails. You'll
never get a woman with hands like yours.

Of course, suspension is pointless on a road bike as, if set up
correctly, the legs act as perfect shock absorbers.

Do you really think so? I thought you claimed to be an "engineer". Oh
well, perhaps at your school for jumped-technicians the teachers
weren't allowed to fail the idiots for fear of socially disadvantaging
them.

Here, I'll give you another tip: what marks you out as a fashion
victim is your axiomatic assumption, when I say "bike" that I'm
talking about a "road" bike (for the rest of you, by that Eiron means
a racing bike with drop handles and an excruciating nut-crusher of a
seat). When I say "bike", I don't mean an implement advertising
persuaded me would improve my image, I mean a device tailored
specifically in the smallest detail to my comfort and intended use.
The most important person in my cycling universe is not Lance
Armstrong, it is me.

Things may be
different if you are stupid enough to ride a Dutch town bicycle.

You can't imagine how different, Eiron. And it is because of your
public failure of imagination that I shan't bother to explain and you
will learn nothing. Yet again.

But, while you wallow in your ignorance, you might consider whether it
is statistically likely that millions of people who cycle every day in
Europe can be "stupid" while you, Eiron, alone are right.

Now that's a giggle for which I don't mind doing the math!

--
Eiron

Unsigned out of contempt

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

The garage vermin Jon Yaeger (aka John Yaeger, aka Jono Yaeger) wrote:

Oh Papa! I missed you so much! But I keep a copy of your shadowy photo
above my bed, and I cooked my favorite dish, your pasta puto from your web
recipe every evening while you were gone.

Tell me, did you see Elohim while you were on the mount? And did he
inscribe some indelible commandments on silicon for you to share with your
flock?

Master, I await your next (and every) word. I am your tool.

Send your soul postage-paid in a paddy bag, Yaeger, and I will dispose
of it thoughtfully in an incinerator.

Andre Jute
Nobless oblige

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Seems to me the good tubies went cycling and swimming and built a pre-
amp and a headphone amp and plotted a SET (1), while the wannabes and
trolls and silicon slime sat around waiting for someone to build
something so they could drain the glee from his hobby. What despicable
people they are!

Andre Jute
Scum is as scum does

(1) There was a time when the projects in progress by RATs required
more than the fingers of one hand to count, when the actual makers of
stuff outnumbered the pondscum 30:1.

Patrick Turner wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Nick Gorham Nick Gorham is offline

Andre Jute wrote:
Seems to me the good tubies went cycling and swimming and built a pre-
amp and a headphone amp and plotted a SET (1), while the wannabes and
trolls and silicon slime sat around waiting for someone to build
something so they could drain the glee from his hobby. What despicable
people they are!

Andre Jute
Scum is as scum does

(1) There was a time when the projects in progress by RATs required
more than the fingers of one hand to count, when the actual makers of
stuff outnumbered the pondscum 30:1.

That reminds me, as you are again posting to URA, I noticed you run the
300b fills at 4.8v in your design. I know you have mentioned Steve Bench
in relation to this, but I wondered, have you done any measurement of
the actual effect of running the fill at a 4% reduced voltage?

--
Nick
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Apr 9, 5:28?am, "Andre Jute" wrote:
tubegarden wrote:
Hi RATs!

Oh, uh, Jute, I just got a CPAP machine and am sleeping it on ...

What is a CPAP machine. Did you DIY it?

Hi RATs!

With my Rx from a pulmonary specialist, I got it from a health
equipment supplier. A tricked out aquarium air pump that MediCare pays
a lot of money for, which provides me with Continuous Positive Airways
Pressure. An air splint that allows me to sleep and breathe. Sleep
Apnea is this great "disease" that is balancing the balance of
payments with Oz, home of the CPAP developers and manufacturers. They
wired me up in a bed in a room and their computer monitored my carcass
while my mind roamed the other sides. Seems I had apnea events.
According to the New World Order, Zero to Five events per hour are
considered "Normal", if not "Healthy"... I clocked an average of 59.6
events per hour ... and won an all expenses paid system from our
Gummint Health System for Seniors, MediCare. It has truly improved my
rest, and they say in some weeks and months, it may even improve what
wakes therefrom.

I had long forgotten the joy of waking at dawn. OK, even with its
attached heater/humidifier, the dryness in my mouth gives me cause to
suspect last night may have included just a bit too much Gin, but, a
few sips of hot coffee and all is well. Actual Gin was always a bit
slower to desist ...

Happy Lungs!

Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm still here, sort of, (wow I've been posting for almost 10 years now)

As a hobby, it (tube audio) hits the law of diminishing returns once you
get a great sounding setup.

When people already have great amplifiers, and then turn to worrying too
much about things like wire, capacitor choices, power cords, etc... the
discussion to me becomes quite boring. Similarly, the old questions UL vs
Triode vs Pentode have been discussed to death over the years. NFB vs no NFB
is another one, and same with contrasting EL34/KT88, etc. Anyone involed in
the hobby for a while has likely tried them all and drawn their own
conclusions.

Lately I've been entertained by reading a foreign language forum, where
people interested in DIY still seem to have the DIY spirit of making
something out of nothing... using strange tube types, winding their own
transformers, and building non-conventional speakers. I think it mostly has
to do with people having more free time, and less money, but it's sure more
interesting to read, and reminds me of my earlier enthusiasm for tube audio!
The most important part is on that site everyone is constantly building and
trying things, and then posting photos, so there's a lot more interesting
content.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

maxhifi wrote:

When people... turn to worrying too much about things like wire, capacitor
choices, power cords, etc...

All of which is pretty irrelevant

the discussion to me becomes quite boring.

Mainly stupid actually.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
robert casey robert casey is offline

Yech!

Gotta be tough to play in this sandbox.... Even if you own up to your
own mistakes :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mueller mueller is offline

Like many, I got tired of being blasted for asking a question. Seems to
be tp many short sighted and narrow minded people here , who get really
upitty when things do not follow their beliefs.
So I moved on to forums that welcome different views.
Mike Mueller
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Starved filaments

Nick Gorham wrote:

That reminds me, as you are again posting to URA, I noticed you run the
300b fills at 4.8v in your design. I know you have mentioned Steve Bench
in relation to this, but I wondered, have you done any measurement of
the actual effect of running the fill at a 4% reduced voltage?

--
Nick

The filaments in my T39 Ultrafi design (see my netsite, URL under my
sig) are closer to 8 per cent reduced from book spec. It is essential
to anyone else's understanding of this discussion that you view the
T39 Ultrafi circuit and also read the Starved Filament document on
Steve Bench's site.

My associate Bill May made some tests with starved filaments. I've
never made much of a song and dance about it because a) we didn't find
anything Steve Bench isn't telling everyone who is interested, and b)
that sort of thing is simply too subtle to discuss with the
soundbiters hovering on RAT to ruin every thread and drain everyone's
glee in this hobby with their luddite sneering and jeering and their
sullen incomprehension of what really matters.

What happens with starved filaments is that the distortion is lowered,
the odd and higher harmonics more than the second, always a very good
thing. The mechanism for this is that the Eb-Ia-Eg transfer curve is
flattened, much more at the extremities than in the middle. It is as
if a fat current source has been put in the circuit, making the
response so much more constant throughout its range. Like I said, a
subtle effect, and damned difficult to see graphically if you start
with tubes already very linear like a 300B or an 845. Either Steve
knew this or just got lucky with the tubes he chose to experiment
with, which have obviously visible beneficial effects from starved
filaments when you compare the curves he took with starved filaments
to the official fullspec curves.

I like a very silent amp and am not afraid to pay a price for it in
power not extracted from the tube, so I do starved fils even with
300B, even though I know that the effect, at margins to which I will
never drive the tube, will not be huge on such an already very silent
tube. All those little margins of silence add up to the refinement
that lesser designers must seek in negative feedback. Of course, it
also means that the overload characteristic of my amp is extended, and
made more refined.

Steve Bench is a great benefactor to DIY tube audio. The other idea I
got from Steve that is incorporated in my T39 is the four separate
grid resistors on the 417A.

Questions were raised at one point about starved fils leading to
contaminated cathodes. I have never seen such results and those
pontificating hadn't either, though that didn't stop them wittering on
portentiously.

HTH.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:
[...]

Good heavens, your own internal microclimate. I always knew Kyoto was
surplus to requirements.

Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Hey, Max, did you in the end build the horns or some other high
sensitivity point source speaks? -- Andre Jute

maxhifi wrote:
oups.com...