Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] stratwrassler@yahoo.com is offline

Default Need help identifying RCA Stereo Tube Amp, finding schematic

Bump to add rec.audio.tubes.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Bump to add rec.audio.tubes.

BUMP? That only works on Google Gropes, not on USENET.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

wrote:

Bump to add rec.audio.tubes.

BUMP? That only works on Google Gropes, not on USENET.

I don't know exactly what "Bump" is supposed to mean, but it works on
USENET for me. Whether it works or not probably depends on your browser.

Regards,

John Byrns

--
Surf my web pages at,
http://fmamradios.com/
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes

John Byrns wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

wrote:

Bump to add rec.audio.tubes.

BUMP? That only works on Google Gropes, not on USENET.

I don't know exactly what "Bump" is supposed to mean, but it works on
USENET for me. Whether it works or not probably depends on your browser.

Regards,

John Byrns

--
Surf my web pages at,
http://fmamradios.com/

"BUMP" is used to move the message to the top of the page on Google.
It doesn't do that on a regular news reader if the previous messages are
unread. Actually, if they are read it just pushes the new message
towards the bottom of the page and people who abuse it tend to be
ignored or kill filed. I have no idea what you call a "Browser" for
your Mac, (MT-NewsWatcher/3.4 (PPC Mac OS X)) but other OSs call it
either a "mail and news program", or a "news reader" program.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
toxcrusadr toxcrusadr is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

BUMP? That only works on Google Gropes, not on USENET.

Meanwhile the OP is sitting there wondering if any of us know anything
about the original post, or are we going to sit here and argue about
format, jargon, and whose method of reading messages is superior. :-]

It sure does sound like a console amp. I can't help you with a
schematic - probably in SAMS but without any kind of model # you're
SOL. 6V6 puts it pretty early, it probably has bad filters and other
caps. I would be checking all the tube voltages, replacing all the
caps, check the continuity on the output transformers windings, and
hope it fires up. I'm relatively green at this but that's what I've
learned.

Tox

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article om,
"toxcrusadr" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

BUMP? That only works on Google Gropes, not on USENET.

Meanwhile the OP is sitting there wondering if any of us know anything
about the original post, or are we going to sit here and argue about
format, jargon, and whose method of reading messages is superior. :-]

I'm sure your method of reading messages is superior. I looked through
my RCA Service Literature and found that I only have information on 1963
and 1964 "Victrolas", not what the OP was looking for. The "Victrolas"
from 1963 and 1964 all use 6BQ5 output tubes, while the OP's "Victrola"
uses 6V6GT output tubes, which as you pointed out are older designs,
probably dating way back to sometime around 1958.

It sure does sound like a console amp. I can't help you with a
schematic - probably in SAMS but without any kind of model # you're
SOL. 6V6 puts it pretty early, it probably has bad filters and other
caps. I would be checking all the tube voltages, replacing all the
caps, check the continuity on the output transformers windings, and
hope it fires up. I'm relatively green at this but that's what I've
learned.

From what the OP said it sounds like the PS electrolytic capacitors are
OK, but he should check the coupling capacitors, and then in addition to
doing what you suggest he should trace the signal through from the input
to see where it is getting lost.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
thisjukeboxplays33rpm thisjukeboxplays33rpm is offline

GOOD POINT!

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes
thisjukeboxplays33rpm thisjukeboxplays33rpm is offline

On Apr 13, 3:33 pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article om,

"toxcrusadr" wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

From what the OP said it sounds like the PS electrolytic capacitors are
OK, but he should check the coupling capacitors, and then in addition to
doing what you suggest he should trace the signal through from the input
to see where it is getting lost.

Regards,

John Byrns

Sounds like we might know the OP, maybe we don't. We need a USENET
SWAMI (TM)

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes

John Byrns wrote:

I'm sure your method of reading messages is superior. I looked through
my RCA Service Literature and found that I only have information on 1963
and 1964 "Victrolas", not what the OP was looking for. The "Victrolas"
from 1963 and 1964 all use 6BQ5 output tubes, while the OP's "Victrola"
uses 6V6GT output tubes, which as you pointed out are older designs,
probably dating way back to sometime around 1958.

I don't have any data on that radio, so I couldn't look anything up.
If I knew what the radio was, I would have answered.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes

John Byrns wrote:

Sorry, "browser" was a typo, I meant to say "news reader", although it
looks like you are actually using a browser, rather than a news reader.

No, but I see that you don't know anything about the older 4.78
Netscape package. It consists of three separate programs. A browser, a
mail program, and a news reader. I've used it since it was first
released, and it it the best news reader software I've tried, out of
about 15 different programs. The only thing that i don't like is that I
can't filter by IP address or IP range. Filtering out unwanted cross
posted newsgroups would be nice, too.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

John Byrns wrote:

Sorry, "browser" was a typo, I meant to say "news reader", although it
looks like you are actually using a browser, rather than a news reader.

No, but I see that you don't know anything about the older 4.78
Netscape package. It consists of three separate programs. A browser, a
mail program, and a news reader. I've used it since it was first
released, and it it the best news reader software I've tried, out of
about 15 different programs. The only thing that i don't like is that I
can't filter by IP address or IP range. Filtering out unwanted cross
posted newsgroups would be nice, too.

You would have been more accurate if you had said that I don't know
anything about the Netscape packages newer than 4.08.

Regards,

John Byrns