Posted to rec.audio.pro
P. Mustard

Default Star-Quad

Is it advisible to use star-quad as a run for two xlr connectors
on each end for two microphones? (Ignoring that the termination will be
aukward)
I want to minimise my run to do an M-S recording.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson

I'm cheap and I want to do it anyway.
Star-quad is two twisted pairs.
Will it work?

I may get flamed, but I've done it for a very long run (over 300') and
it worked just fine. Use heat shrink to extend the two connectors at
either end so you have enough length. We also ran a copper braid around
the two pairs and the shield, plus soldered it all together.

I'm pretty sure it's still there, doing its job, years after we did the
install.

Corey

Posted to rec.audio.pro
anahata

P. Mustard wrote:
OK, let me rephrase,
I'm cheap and I want to do it anyway.
Star-quad is two twisted pairs.
Will it work?
The cable is there, and I want to resolder the connectors.

Yes, actually it should work quite well
It's not two twisted pairs side by side, but four cores in a square.
Even so, if you connect one mic to a diagonally opposite pair of wires
and the other mic to the other diagonal pair, it should work as well as
two separate screened-pair mic cables.

(1+) (2+)

(2-) (1-)

My first thought was that there would be crosstalk, but actually it will
be mimimal if you wire it that way and the lines are both balanced,
because the crosstalk will consist of equal and opposite components that
cancel each other out.

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

P. Mustard wrote:
Is it advisible to use star-quad as a run for two xlr connectors
on each end for two microphones? (Ignoring that the termination will be
aukward)
I want to minimise my run to do an M-S recording.

You can do it, and there will be some leakage between them, but not so
much that it'll be a problem for an M-S pair.

More appropriate would be to buy a cable with individually shielded pairs.
Personally I like the Gotham "siamese" style with two star-quads stuck
together, but the Belden stuff with two quads in an elliptical outer jacket
is fine too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve

P. Mustard wrote:
Is it advisible to use star-quad as a run for two xlr connectors
on each end for two microphones? (Ignoring that the termination will be
aukward)
I want to minimise my run to do an M-S recording.

Absolutly no problem. Both AKG Stereo and Sound Field mics use
mulitipair
cables with a common shield. As long as your mics have a low impedance
output and most do, 50 ohms or lower is ideal but 200 would be OK,
100 meters should present no significant response loss or noticable
crosstalk.

Steve Lane

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walt

Pooh Bear wrote:
Eric Toline wrote:
(P. Mustard)

Is it advisible to use star-quad as a run for two xlr connectors on each
end for two microphones? (Ignoring that the termination will be awkward)
I want to minimise my run to do an M-S recording.,

No. Use two seperate cables. You'll eliminate any potential hum, buzz,
noise,etc, problems, it will also be a more durable connection.

Hum, buzz , noise ? You're having me on. I'd have though the only problem might
be a tiny bit of crosstalk.

You are right, assuming that the setup is always used as intended, i.e.
for a stereo pair of mics.

But, just use your imagination about what will happen when somebody sees
two jacks and decides to use one for a phantom powered mic and the other
for intercom. Or midi. Or a lighting controller. Or whatever else
comes with an XLR jack or can be converted to one.

If the OP can be certain that only "knowldgable users" will ever use the
setup, fine. Otherwise, better to stick with standard wiring practices.
At least then if somebody does something stupid they can't blame you
for weird non-standard wiring.

//Walt