Newsguy

Default Canare Microphone Cable Question

Greetings. I just purchased some bulk microphone cable at a music store.
The part number is L-4E6S (Canare Star Quad).

When I arrived home just now, I was going to make a an XLR F to XLR M
microphone cable. When I cut open this cable, I found something I have
never seen before. Inside are two blue wires and two white wires surrounded
by a braided shield.

This makes sense now, as its known as "Star Quad" cable. But my question is
this: an XLR end has three pins, and here I have essentially four wires
plus the shield. Do I combine the two blues together to form "one" blue
wire, and then the two whites together to form "one" white wire?

Or do I just go into the XLR 3 pin connector with a single blue, a single
white, and shield?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Darren

Jim Kollens

Combine the blues to make one blue. Combine the whites to make one white. The
shield is ground. Solder the blues to pins 3, the whites to pins 2 and ground
to pins 1. Gound always goes to pin 1; the other colors don't matter, but I
would suggest to always do it the exact same way. For microphone cables, the
case should also be connected to pin 1. There is another little connector (not
a pin) where you can solder a tiny wire from pin 1. Some folk don't do this
but it should be done.

Newsguy

"Jim Kollens" wrote in message
Combine the blues to make one blue. Combine the whites to make one white.

The
shield is ground. Solder the blues to pins 3, the whites to pins 2 and

ground
to pins 1. Gound always goes to pin 1; the other colors don't matter, but

would suggest to always do it the exact same way. For microphone cables,

the
case should also be connected to pin 1. There is another little connector

(not
a pin) where you can solder a tiny wire from pin 1. Some folk don't do

this
but it should be done.

Thanks Jim. I will combine the wires as you recommended. I have done
several mic cables before, but never ran into this four wire arrangement.
One thing I have never done is solder a wire from the case to pin one. I
will try it today.

Thanks again.
Darren

Tim Padrick

You should not connect the case to pin 1, as it's already done in the
equipment. If you connect pin 1 to the case in the cable you will create a
ground loop. Case in point: A client's system (mics, console, EQ, powered
speakers) has always had a buzz. I recently removed the pin 1 to case
connections in all of the cables, and the buzz went away.

"Jim Kollens" wrote in message
Combine the blues to make one blue. Combine the whites to make one white.

The
shield is ground. Solder the blues to pins 3, the whites to pins 2 and

ground
to pins 1. Gound always goes to pin 1; the other colors don't matter, but

would suggest to always do it the exact same way. For microphone cables,

the
case should also be connected to pin 1. There is another little connector

(not
a pin) where you can solder a tiny wire from pin 1. Some folk don't do

this
but it should be done.

Jim Kollens

Darren: One thing I have never done is solder a wire from the case to pin
one. I
will try it today

I've bought mic cables where it wasn't done. Obviously, it is not always
critical. I first saw it done on cables that came with Gefel mics. So, I
called up G-Prime (the then distributor) and they informed me that it was the
European standard and the only correct way. And they really insisted that this
was the only correct way. I really don't know if there is a similar AES
standard.

zero

"Newsguy" wrote in message =
Greetings. I just purchased some bulk microphone cable at a music =

store.
The part number is L-4E6S (Canare Star Quad).
=20
When I arrived home just now, I was going to make a an XLR F to XLR M
microphone cable. When I cut open this cable, I found something I =

have
never seen before. Inside are two blue wires and two white wires =

surrounded
by a braided shield.

=20
This should cover everything,