Pawel Kusmierek

Default MicroTrack again

Hi everybody!

I was delighted to find this group after long and unsuccessful search
on any details (beyond scarce information provided by M-Audio) on
MicroTrack 24/96. I read your reviews and comments, and I am still not
sure if the device is good for me. Therefore, I'd like to ask you a few
questions. Some of them may be answered by current MicroTrack users,
some probably by anyone. Please forgive me if I ask any stupid question
- I am a newbie in audio recording and my knowledge is not only
limited, but purely theoretical. I would be also grateful for any
advice beyond answering the questions.

I need to record "environmental sounds" of events occuring in a room.
Examples: door closing, items dropped. The room is unfortunately quite
reverberant but the recording cannot be made elsewhere and the room
cannot be adapted acoustically.
The recorded sounds should sound as real as possible and the freuency
range must be up to 40 kHz.

After long research the solution I came to is M-Audio MicroTrack and
Schoeps MK41+CMC 6U xt. The MK41 (a supercardioid) was chosen instead
of an omni to help with the reverberation. The xt version of CMC 6 has
frequency response extended to 40 kHz.

I guess that MicroTrack will record with the 40 kHz bandwidth at 96 kHz
sampling rate, but I am not sure, and M-Audio keeps not responding to
my inquiries. Do you know if this is true? Can you check it for me?

I read that the phantom power provided by MT is 30V instead of normal
48V. Schoeps says about CMC 6 xt: "It can be driven by either 48 Volt
or 12 Volt supplies, retaining a very low output impedance either way
(25 Ohms for 12 Volt powering, 35 Ohms for 48 Volts). The required
current is 8 mA for 12 Volt powering and 4 mA at 48 Volts." Can you
offer any prediction if the Schoeps mic will work with 30V power?

As alternatives for MT, I considered also Marantz PMD 671 and Edirol
R-4. Both are capable of recording at 96 kHz, but Marantz is almost
three times more expensive than MT, and Edirol is almost five times
more expensive. Neither of their additional features (like Edirol's 4
channels - I need one) seems to be useful for me, but I don't want to
have my recordings done improperly beacuse I wanted to spare money
(though my budget is quite limited, and I have also deal with playback
up to 40 kHz, which is not cheap either). Can you advise if sticking to
MT is safe in my case?

If you offer any other advice or comments regarding my needs and using
MicroTrack with the Schoeps mic in this context, I will be extremely
grateful.

Pawel

Jonny Durango

Pawel Kusmierek wrote:

After long research the solution I came to is M-Audio MicroTrack and
Schoeps MK41+CMC 6U xt. The MK41 (a supercardioid) was chosen instead
of an omni to help with the reverberation. The xt version of CMC 6 has
frequency response extended to 40 kHz.

I guess that MicroTrack will record with the 40 kHz bandwidth at 96 kHz
sampling rate, but I am not sure, and M-Audio keeps not responding to
my inquiries. Do you know if this is true? Can you check it for me?

Arny pointed out that the M-Audio Delta series soundcards use AKM A/D
chips that will record up to about 30k before anti-aliasing kicks in.
This could be more or less on the Microtrack. Personally, I wouldn't
worry about it either way, unless you can actually hear above 20k, or
better yet, yu have speakers/monitors that can playback +20k. I really
think the "extended frequency response" thing is a gimmick, and past 30k
it just gets ridiculous!

I read that the phantom power provided by MT is 30V instead of normal
48V. Schoeps says about CMC 6 xt: "It can be driven by either 48 Volt
or 12 Volt supplies, retaining a very low output impedance either way
(25 Ohms for 12 Volt powering, 35 Ohms for 48 Volts). The required
current is 8 mA for 12 Volt powering and 4 mA at 48 Volts." Can you
offer any prediction if the Schoeps mic will work with 30V power?

There is a discussion about exactly this question in
rec.arts.movies.production.sound ....basically it looks like the simple
answer is "No"....it will not work to spec:

"I got feedback from Joerg Wuttke from Schoeps. He states that a CMC6
will not work at full specs wehn used at phantom is not 12V or not 48V.
It leads to increased noise and distortion in low frequencies.
He also says that he doesn´t understand why an audio device with 30V
is released because it is beyond all phantom standards.

frank."

As alternatives for MT, I considered also Marantz PMD 671 and Edirol
R-4. Both are capable of recording at 96 kHz, but Marantz is almost
three times more expensive than MT, and Edirol is almost five times
more expensive. Neither of their additional features (like Edirol's 4
channels - I need one) seems to be useful for me, but I don't want to
have my recordings done improperly beacuse I wanted to spare money
(though my budget is quite limited, and I have also deal with playback
up to 40 kHz, which is not cheap either). Can you advise if sticking to
MT is safe in my case?

If you're really stuck on recording up to 40kHz, the ONLY way to go is
the PDAudio from www.core-sound.com (the Fostex FR2 is another option
but it just can't compare to the PDAudio
http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio_system/10.php ). If you're not stuck
on the 40k idea, I'd get a regular pair of matched CMC6 + MK41's and use
a Denecke PS2 with your MT, or get a Oade mod PMD660 (oade.com) or an
Edirol R1 + V3 or other high quality preamp.

If you offer any other advice or comments regarding my needs and using
MicroTrack with the Schoeps mic in this context, I will be extremely
grateful.

Pawel

The regular old tried and true MK41 is a great mic, go with it and
forget the XT version. Right now the MT's firmware doesn't support 2496
via S/PDIF, but v1.5 which should be released any day now will
(supposedly)....I would suggest either A) using this with a Mic2496,
Lunatec V3 or other high quality preamp-A/D....or B) Getting the
PDAudio, which will probably be cheaper than option A, but much larger
and bulkier.

--

Jonny Durango

www.jdurango.com

"If the key of C is the people's key, what is the key of the bourgeoisie?"
TaffJock

I have a feeling Sanken do mics with a very extended frequency
response. in fact I've just found the blurb.

Sanken CO-100K is the first 100kHz microphone in the world which can be
used for real professional recording, not for measurement purpose. This
microphone is designed with NHK Science & Technical Research
Laboratories. This microphone is Sanken's answer for quite a few
enthusiastic engineers who want to record the sound until 100kHz.
Especially for classical music, acoustic instruments and sound effect
recording.
We have already done several test recordings using this Sanken CO-100K.

Scott Dorsey

TaffJock wrote:
I have a feeling Sanken do mics with a very extended frequency
response. in fact I've just found the blurb.

Note that they do some goofyness with a 2-way system to get this, so
there may be some crossover issues. Schoeps also is now making some
electronics that use equalization to squeak ultrasonic response out
of their conventional capsules, but the ultrasonic S/N is poor and
they sound definitely worse than the conventional electronics.

I think if you really want extended ultrasonic response that you're
going to have to go with a Type I omni capsule, like the B&K 4033.
It's expensive and it's an omni, and it's still beamy at the highest
frequencies.

Right now because of the whole push toward high sampling rates, a lot
of manufacturers are rushing microphone designs to market that have
extended HF response. It is, however, difficult enough to get anything
reasonably flat within the audio passband, that getting flat response
across a much wider band is extremely hard to do.

Pawel Kusmierek

Thanks everyone for your input.

First, to clarify the 40 kHz thing. The sounds will be ultimately
listened to by animals whose hearing range extends up to approximately
45 kHz. Thus, for them the 40 kHz limit is probably soemthing like
17-18 kHz for humans. To ensure realistic sound of my "sound effects" I
think I need to stick to the 40k limit as much as I can.

Arny pointed out that the M-Audio Delta series soundcards use AKM A/D
chips that will record up to about 30k before anti-aliasing kicks in.

M-Audio says on their website
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...a44-focus.html that Deltas
44, 66 and 1010LT have input frequency response up to 40kHz +/- 1dB at
96 kHz. Are they lying again? Why everyone is complaining so much about
Creative lying in SoundBlaster cards specs if the more respectable
M-Audio does the same???
The Delta problem is really bothering me because I planned to use one
of these cards for playback.

By the way, I planned to use Tannoy Reveal 6D active monitors for
playback. According to Tannoy, these speakers can go up to 51k (though
probably at -10dB) and the frequency response curve published in the
manual seems to reach approximately 40k at -1 or -2 dB. Do you think
that at least Tannoy specifications are reliable, or they may be lying
as well?

I have already came upon the 'No' for 30V from Schoeps but thank you
for pointing it out.

Schoeps also is now making some
electronics that use equalization to squeak ultrasonic response out
of their conventional capsules, but the ultrasonic S/N is poor and
they sound definitely worse than the conventional electronics

Do you refer to the xt capsule?

The regular old tried and true MK41 is a great mic, go with it and
forget the XT version.

I prefer not to forget the xt because I really need 40k. But if xt
sounds bad... On the other hand, my (amateurish) experience is that the
realness (is it a proper noun in this context? or should realisticity?)
of metallic sounds depends on the top frequency band, but more on
anything happening here at the right time rather than on very correct
rendition of the band. [I 'reconstructed' the top band of a 16k
low-pass filtered mp3 recording by extracting the 8-16k band,
transposing it 1 octave up and mixing with the low-pass filtered
version. Listeners tended to say that the 'reconstructed' version
sounds better than the mp3 'original']

Sanken CO-100K is the first 100kHz microphone

I have found the Sanken mic, but did not like its +10 dB boost in the
20-40 kHz range. And I preferred a cardioid or a supecardioid.
Moreover, no one has recommended it to me before, whereas Schoeps was
recommended.

Other options which I considered we

Earthworks QTC50. This is an omni, and I was also advised that its
noise figure of 22 dBA may be to high (the same, actually, applies to
the Sanken mic). The noise, however, might not be a problem, because
the background noise in the room may be higher. Still, I may want to
use the mic in more quiet conditions in the future.

Sennheiser MKH800, switchable polar patterns, low noise - but I'd
prefer to spend up to around $1500 on the mic, rather than $2500-3000.

I think if you really want extended ultrasonic response that you're
going to have to go with a Type I omni capsule, like the B&K 4033.

That's an interesting idea. I probably could not buy a new B&K mic with
my current budget (their prices are as insane as the specs of their
mics [I love their mics long term stability value of "1000years/dB"]).
But I have a B&K Sound Level Meter with two mics: a 4133 (up to 40k,
20dBA thermal noise) and a 4135 (up to 100k, 29.5 dBA thermal noise).
Maybe I could use these but I have no idea how to connect them to any
recording device. Suggestions, please...

David Satz

Pawel, please do not try to use the Schoeps CMC 6-- amplifier (whether
it is the xt version or not) with a power supply that offers neither
standard 12 Volt phantom powering nor standard 48 Volt phantom
powering. What will very likely occur with a 30-Volt supply is that the
voltage received by the microphone's circuitry will be in the 20s or
lower (because of the 6.8 kOhm supply resistors), and the microphone
will switch over to its 12 Volt mode.

In that mode, however, the microphone draws about 10 mA and that will
very likely bring down the power supply regulator in the recording
device, quite possibly causing damage to the MicroTrack if its circuit
is not protected. I have personally seen that occur with another
lightweight, portable preamp/ADC in which the "phantom power" supply
was not up to standard.

M Audio should certainly know about this issue; they experienced it in
the design of the DMP3 preamp, since its predecessor the DMP2 could not
properly power a pair of modern condenser microphones--not even
Neumanns at 2 - 3 mA apiece, let alone a Schoeps (4 - 4.5 mA) or any of
the types that require more current, such as the Shure KSM series (5 -
6 mA), the original AKG C 451 (6 mA), the CAD Equiteks (8 mA) or
Earthworks (10 mA). I had an email exchange with the designers, and the
eventual model DMP3 was a definite improvement (also in regard to its
input overload margins).

If you like the MicroTrack well enough in all other respects, my advice
would be to use an outboard phantom power supply with it, such as the
Denecke PS-1A or PS-2. That will also keep the phantom supply from
decreasing the battery life of your recorder. And if the MicroTrack has
coupling capacitors at its microphone inputs, as I suspect that it
must, you could bypass the output capacitors which the Denecke supplies
have; the way the circuit board is laid out makes that relatively easy.

--best regards

Jonny Durango

No I don't think M-Audio is lying about the 40k response of their Delta
series...the discussion where this originally came up was about whether
any A/D's would impliment the anti-alias filter higher than the standard
20k (for 44.1 sampling rate)...."about 30k" was just picked
subjectively. I have no doubt that M-Audio's claims are true.

--

Jonny Durango

www.jdurango.com

"If the key of C is the people's key, what is the key of the bourgeoisie?"
Kurt Albershardt

Pawel Kusmierek wrote:

First, to clarify the 40 kHz thing. The sounds will be ultimately
listened to by animals whose hearing range extends up to approximately
45 kHz. Thus, for them the 40 kHz limit is probably soemthing like
17-18 kHz for humans. To ensure realistic sound of my "sound effects" I
think I need to stick to the 40k limit as much as I can.

Call Josephson and ask if their C617 will work on 30V phantom. Buy a
pair, and be sure you tell them you want the extended HF response
capsules instead of the higher output ones. Or find a used pair of B&K
4133's to go with the C617 bodies.

Kurt Albershardt

Pawel Kusmierek wrote:

I probably could not buy a new B&K mic with
my current budget (their prices are as insane as the specs of their
mics [I love their mics long term stability value of "1000years/dB"]).
But I have a B&K Sound Level Meter with two mics: a 4133 (up to 40k,
20dBA thermal noise) and a 4135 (up to 100k, 29.5 dBA thermal noise).
Maybe I could use these but I have no idea how to connect them to any
recording device. Suggestions, please...

Jospehson C617 http://www.josephson.com/pdf/C617set_ds.pdf

Pawel Kusmierek

Thanks, I will explore this option.
I am however concerned a little about the mic's noise and more
concerned about it being an omni (as I understand).

However, if C617 does not go well with 30V (I'll call them tomorrow)
the question of the recorder remains unanswered.

Another idea, based on Jonny Durango's advice is to put a mic (either a
Schoeps MK41+xt capsule, or the 4133+C617) on the CoreSound Mic2496 and
use a long S/PDIF cable to feed the digital signal into a Delta 66 in a
computer in another room. The Delta would be used then for playback as
well. So this would be probably a cost-effective solution, but my
mobility would be limited to the length of the S/PDIF cable. Here comes
another newbie question: how long can the S/PDIF cable be?

In future, to increase my mobility, I could get the MT (when it is
capable of dealing with S/PDIF properly) and walk with two small boxes
and a mic :-). Does what I am saying make sense?

Kurt Albershardt

Pawel Kusmierek wrote:

Another idea, based on Jonny Durango's advice is to put a mic (either a
Schoeps MK41+xt capsule, or the 4133+C617) on the CoreSound Mic2496 and
use a long S/PDIF cable to feed the digital signal into a Delta 66 in a
computer in another room. The Delta would be used then for playback as
well. So this would be probably a cost-effective solution, but my
mobility would be limited to the length of the S/PDIF cable. Here comes
another newbie question: how long can the S/PDIF cable be?

Very long, assuming you use low loss 75 Ohm cable and the RX/TX
electronics are up to snuff. A couple of hundred feet should be no
problem for just about any modern equipment.

In future, to increase my mobility, I could get the MT (when it is
capable of dealing with S/PDIF properly) and walk with two small boxes
and a mic :-).

Or just buy a Sound Devices 722 today.

Kurt Albershardt writes:

Pawel Kusmierek wrote:
First, to clarify the 40 kHz thing. The sounds will be ultimately
listened to by animals whose hearing range extends up to approximately
45 kHz. Thus, for them the 40 kHz limit is probably soemthing like
17-18 kHz for humans. To ensure realistic sound of my "sound effects" I
think I need to stick to the 40k limit as much as I can.

Call Josephson and ask if their C617 will work on 30V phantom. Buy a pair,
and be sure you tell them you want the extended HF response capsules instead
of the higher output ones. Or find a used pair of B&K 4133's to go with the
C617 bodies.

Everyone is talking about bad implementations of phantom power, either too low
voltage, insufficient current or both. This may be due to cost cutting, or
just bad design.

So, how could I implement it properly, using a low-voltage battery supply?
For example, how do Sound Devices or Grace Designs get phantom power from 6 or
12VDC? Does anyone know?

Richard

Scott Dorsey

In article , wrote:

So, how could I implement it properly, using a low-voltage battery supply?
For example, how do Sound Devices or Grace Designs get phantom power from 6 or
12VDC? Does anyone know?

They use a little baby switcher. Very hard to design well and keep the
noise out of the electronics, but you can buy a commercial DC-DC converter
module and pass the design work on to someone else.
Paul Stamler

"Jonny Durango" wrote in message
No I don't think M-Audio is lying about the 40k response of their Delta
series...the discussion where this originally came up was about whether
any A/D's would impliment the anti-alias filter higher than the standard
20k (for 44.1 sampling rate)...."about 30k" was just picked
subjectively. I have no doubt that M-Audio's claims are true.

I measured the Delta 66; flat out to about 41kHz, +0/- 0.5dB, at a 96k
sampling rate.

Peace,
Paul

Jonny Durango

Paul Stamler wrote:

I measured the Delta 66; flat out to about 41kHz, +0/- 0.5dB, at a 96k
sampling rate.

Peace,
Paul

There you go...as a great man once said, "signed, sealed, delivered!"

--

Jonny Durango

www.jdurango.com

"If the key of C is the people's key, what is the key of the bourgeoisie?"
Scott Dorsey

In article , wrote:

Do you know which part(s) they use? I looked up switchers, but couldn't find
anything that would go so high, eg., 6 to 48V.

There are _lots_ of them with 48V outputs. Check out the DC-DC converter
section in Digi-Key. Or sometimes they make their own. 48V is a common
value because it's standard telephone power.

They are probably using switchers to get +/-15 from 6V too, right? What part
would do that? Maybe one switcher goes from 6 to +/-15, then another from 15
to 48V.

Again, Digi-Key stocks them with bipolar outputs. Note that a lot of them
are noisy as hell.
Scott Dorsey

You know, every time I come across this thread, I think of tonearms.

Richard Crowley

wrote ...
Everyone is talking about bad implementations of phantom
power, either too low voltage, insufficient current or both.
This may be due to cost cutting, or just bad design.

So, how could I implement it properly, using a low-voltage
battery supply?
For example, how do Sound Devices or Grace Designs get
phantom power from 6 or 12VDC? Does anyone know?

The Beachtek DXA-10 mic preamp is powered from a 9-volt
snap-top "transistor radio" battery. They use Linear Technology
LT 1172 chip to bump the 9v supply up to 48v phantom. They
appear to use another LT1172 to create -9v for bipolar supply
for the amplifier circuit.

Oleg Kaizerman

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
You know, every time I come across this thread, I think of tonearms.

Scott Dorsey

Pawel Kusmierek wrote:
M-Audio says on their website
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...a44-focus.html that Deltas
44, 66 and 1010LT have input frequency response up to 40kHz +/- 1dB at
96 kHz. Are they lying again? Why everyone is complaining so much about
Creative lying in SoundBlaster cards specs if the more respectable
M-Audio does the same???

I have no idea, but in general I would tend to assume that any spec sheets
are lies until proven otherwise. Sadly that is the world we live in, where
the marketing department rather than the engineering department writes the
data sheets.

By the way, I planned to use Tannoy Reveal 6D active monitors for
playback. According to Tannoy, these speakers can go up to 51k (though
probably at -10dB) and the frequency response curve published in the
manual seems to reach approximately 40k at -1 or -2 dB. Do you think
that at least Tannoy specifications are reliable, or they may be lying
as well?

No, they are going to be accurate ON AXIS. Off-axis, who knows? Getting
good dispersion at 10 KHz is already hard enough.... getting a nice flat
and wide pattern at 40 KHz is going to be harder.

Schoeps also is now making some
electronics that use equalization to squeak ultrasonic response out
of their conventional capsules, but the ultrasonic S/N is poor and
they sound definitely worse than the conventional electronics

Do you refer to the xt capsule?

There is no such thing. I refer to the CMC-6xt _amplifier_. This system
uses the standard capsule with no changes. The _amplifier_ has been
modified to get the extended response. The end results are very
poor.

I prefer not to forget the xt because I really need 40k. But if xt
sounds bad... On the other hand, my (amateurish) experience is that the
realness (is it a proper noun in this context? or should realisticity?)
of metallic sounds depends on the top frequency band, but more on
anything happening here at the right time rather than on very correct
rendition of the band. [I 'reconstructed' the top band of a 16k
low-pass filtered mp3 recording by extracting the 8-16k band,
transposing it 1 octave up and mixing with the low-pass filtered
version. Listeners tended to say that the 'reconstructed' version
sounds better than the mp3 'original']

Yes, but you are human, and animals have very different hearing.

Sanken CO-100K is the first 100kHz microphone

I have found the Sanken mic, but did not like its +10 dB boost in the
20-40 kHz range. And I preferred a cardioid or a supecardioid.
Moreover, no one has recommended it to me before, whereas Schoeps was
recommended.

The Schoeps has dreadful ultrasonic S/N. The Sanken, I don't know.

Other options which I considered we

Earthworks QTC50. This is an omni, and I was also advised that its
noise figure of 22 dBA may be to high (the same, actually, applies to
the Sanken mic). The noise, however, might not be a problem, because
the background noise in the room may be higher. Still, I may want to
use the mic in more quiet conditions in the future.

Won't go as high as you think it does.

Sennheiser MKH800, switchable polar patterns, low noise - but I'd
prefer to spend up to around $1500 on the mic, rather than $2500-3000.

Ultrasonic response on this is VERY limited because of the RF
electronics being used. And you're also going to have to deal with
some spurious ultrasonic products in all possibility.

I think if you really want extended ultrasonic response that you're
going to have to go with a Type I omni capsule, like the B&K 4033.

That's an interesting idea. I probably could not buy a new B&K mic with
my current budget (their prices are as insane as the specs of their
mics [I love their mics long term stability value of "1000years/dB"]).
But I have a B&K Sound Level Meter with two mics: a 4133 (up to 40k,
20dBA thermal noise) and a 4135 (up to 100k, 29.5 dBA thermal noise).
Maybe I could use these but I have no idea how to connect them to any
recording device. Suggestions, please...

You can take these capsules off and put them onto a B&K follower like
the 2615 (or whatever the modern equivalent to the 2615 is), and power
them off a 2801 or 2804 power supply. This is the ONLY way you will
get accurate ultrasonic response. Short of a Type I capsule, you are
just not going to get anything with good S/N up there.

Josephson Engineering also sells a body that will accept these capsules
and can run off of phantom power, but it will probably be more expensive
than a surplus B&K handle and supply.
Pawel Kusmierek

Thank you. I am trying to now more about the B&K solution. Takes time
to figure out what they have available currently, what are the specs of
the older equipment which I have, even what kinds of plugs and sockets
are used in their devices.

No, they are going to be accurate ON AXIS. Off-axis, who knows?

That's OK for me, the listeners will be on axis.

The Schoeps has dreadful ultrasonic S/N.

Do you have any figures, plots, numbers? Can I see it?

Josephson Engineering also sells a body that will accept these capsules

and can run off of phantom power, but it will probably be more
expensive
than a surplus B&K handle and supply.

Thanks, I contacted them and it is not the cheapest piece of equipment
indeed.

Pawel Kusmierek

Call the B&K rep, who I think for you is in Warsaw. Tell him what you
got and that you want a line output from that capsule.

Actually, I have just called him (although he's in Warsaw and I'm in
Washington DC now). He is trying to check it for me. I hope that he'll
find something. It is possible that I could use the pre-amp which I
have (B&K ZC 0020), if it's frequency response is good enough. I was
also thinking to get the line signal out of my B&K 2235 SPL meter AC
output with 4133+ZC0020 atatched to the meter, but according to the rep
the meter has a built-in 20kHz filter. He'll try to check if the filter
affects the AC output. I do not know much about the quality of signal
in this output, and the socket is something B&K-ish and non-standard of
course. Still, this is another path I am following. Paths, paths,
paths... I was going to start recordings around September 15th, using
Shoeps+MicroTrack... How naive I was.

Pawel Kusmierek

Scott, it's highly unlikely that I be able to be at the show. In case
the unlikely happens, is there any way to find you there?
If not during the show, I would be glad to meet you afterwards and get
some advice from you - if you don't mind.

Len Moskowitz

Pawel Kusmierek wrote:

The recorded sounds should sound as real as possible and the freuency
range must be up to 40 kHz.

Our Mic2496 is flat to beyond 40 KHz. It can be used with any recorder
that can accept S/PDIF optical or coaxial. It provides 48V phantom
power, up to a total of 4 mA.

It can be used with our PDAudio handheld digital audio recorder system.

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz

Richard Crowley wrote:

The Beachtek DXA-10 mic preamp is powered from a 9-volt
snap-top "transistor radio" battery. They use Linear Technology
LT 1172 chip to bump the 9v supply up to 48v phantom. They
appear to use another LT1172 to create -9v for bipolar supply
for the amplifier circuit.

Will it provide 10 mA of current? Two channels or one?

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Richard Crowley

"Len Moskowitz" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
The Beachtek DXA-10 mic preamp is powered from a 9-volt
snap-top "transistor radio" battery. They use Linear Technology
LT 1172 chip to bump the 9v supply up to 48v phantom. They
appear to use another LT1172 to create -9v for bipolar supply
for the amplifier circuit.

Will it provide 10 mA of current? Two channels or one?

Dunno. I'll have to test it one of these days.
But the LT1172 chip is good for 1.25A(!)
Pawel Kusmierek

Our Mic2496 is flat to beyond 40 KHz. It can be used with any recorder
that can accept S/PDIF optical or coaxial. It provides 48V phantom
power, up to a total of 4 mA.

Yes, I remember your Mic2496. It is now one of the most promising
options for me. Still I'm not sure what should I put in front of it
(B&K4133 with a preamp??), or behind it (maybe a MicroTrack connected
with S/PDIF??)