Posted to rec.audio.car
dubbin it up dubbin it up is offline

Default box enclosure question

I just put my 2 10" mtx thunders in a custom box that i built. The
enclosure has more cubic foot space then recommended for a sealed enclosure.
I was wondering what the difference would filling this extra space make and
how will it affect my subs? Will the sound difference be that noticable?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

How much more space are we talking about? Did you seperate the two
chambers?
I say listen to it, if you like the way it sounds then leave it the way
it is.
If you don't like the way it sounds - then you could play around with
throwing material into the box until you do...
We'll all have our own opinions on this, and while there is a sort of
science to it - it all boils down to how you like it.
~Mister.Lull
dubbin it up wrote:
I just put my 2 10" mtx thunders in a custom box that i built. The
enclosure has more cubic foot space then recommended for a sealed enclosure.
I was wondering what the difference would filling this extra space make and
how will it affect my subs? Will the sound difference be that noticable?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb Brandonb is offline

Also depending on the extra volume, making it ported could be another
option. I've had great luck porting various MTX subs, from the Road
Thunders, Thunder 3000, 5000, and 8000.

Brandonb

dubbin it up wrote:

I just put my 2 10" mtx thunders in a custom box that i built. The
enclosure has more cubic foot space then recommended for a sealed enclosure.
I was wondering what the difference would filling this extra space make and
how will it affect my subs? Will the sound difference be that noticable?

Posted to rec.audio.car
dubbin it up dubbin it up is offline

well they are double the recommended space needed for these 2 subs. I
didn't have any material at the time and i wanted to hear them so i popped
them in. I figured i'd seek some advice before i decided to fill the box
with some insulation.

--
2 10" mtx thunder 8000
rockford amp 501bd
"dubbin it up" wrote in message
I just put my 2 10" mtx thunders in a custom box that i built. The
enclosure has more cubic foot space then recommended for a sealed
enclosure. I was wondering what the difference would filling this extra
space make and how will it affect my subs? Will the sound difference be
that noticable?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb Brandonb is offline

Insulation such as polyfill would go the opposite way. You would want to
fill it with something that will actually block off sound, not just slow
it down a bit. Think boards or bricks and whatnot. As it's
double-recommended for a sealed, for all the MTX's I've owned, that's
pretty much exactly in the ideal ported range. You might try that.

Brandonb

dubbin it up wrote:
well they are double the recommended space needed for these 2 subs. I
didn't have any material at the time and i wanted to hear them so i popped
them in. I figured i'd seek some advice before i decided to fill the box
with some insulation.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

"We'll all have our own opinions on this, and while there is a sort of
science to it - it all boils down to how you like it."

Well said!!!

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
Antispammer Antispammer is offline

sorry to hijack on this thread.

you mean polyfills makes the sub box BIGGER?
Bigger volume?

What about sponge?

dubbin it up wrote:
well they are double the recommended space needed for these 2 subs. I
didn't have any material at the time and i wanted to hear them so i
popped them in. I figured i'd seek some advice before i decided to fill
the box with some insulation.

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] ephedralover@hotmail.com is offline

dubbin it up wrote:
well they are double the recommended space needed for these 2 subs. I
didn't have any material at the time and i wanted to hear them so i popped
them in. I figured i'd seek some advice before i decided to fill the box
with some insulation.

--
2 10" mtx thunder 8000
rockford amp 501bd
clarion dxz765mp
"dubbin it up" wrote in message
I just put my 2 10" mtx thunders in a custom box that i built. The
enclosure has more cubic foot space then recommended for a sealed
enclosure. I was wondering what the difference would filling this extra
space make and how will it affect my subs? Will the sound difference be
that noticable?

If the box has double the reccomended size then adding polyfil or
pillow stuffing will make the subs think they are in a larger box,
which I assume you don't want. Does the subs sound sloppy, or overly
boomy?

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] zekor@comcast.net is offline

wrote:
dubbin it up wrote:
[...]

I was thinking, bricks or wooden bricks, or just a MDF partition will
reduce box size. When the closed box is too small, its boomy.
Increasing the box size reduces the resonant peak and lowers the
frequency at the same time. I really have not used WinISD. I'll have to
set it up. I really have not had any reason to vear fromn the DOS
program I have been using since I bought it way back. Qbox.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Personally, I'm impressed with WinISD.
User friendly, free, easy to use and understand, select your own
measurement units (and they don't have to match)... I've used it on
three boxes now, and saved myself from serious hazards on two of them!
The first box I used WinISD to design a box for, I tried to use the box
size and ports to push a cheap sub to the END of it's limits... That
was a bad idea that shouldn't have been explored in the first place
(PEBKAC).

As an added bonus, it's only about a five minute download (and I'm on
dial-up!)...
~Mister.Lull
dubbin it up wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh for ****'s sake, let's not start that argument again..........

LOL

Posted to rec.audio.car

dubbin it up wrote:
[...]

How about that expanding foam stuff at Home Depot. That would take up
some air space.

Posted to rec.audio.car
dubbin it up dubbin it up is offline

This is my scenario. I think i made a error when calculating. I actually
have 1.7ft^3 of space in the box now. i have 2 drivers that require .67ft^3
recommended. so that comes to approx. 1.25ft^3 for both. The reason i
started this post was the subs don't seem to sound right. That's why i
thought filling the box my solve my problem. But i don't think that .4ft^3
will make that much difference or am i wrong???

--
2 10" mtx thunder 8000
rockford amp 501bd
wrote in message
oups.com...

dubbin it up wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Hi Anti,

Polyfill sort of "fools" the driver into "seeing" a larger enclosure.

I'm not sure about sponge.

smiles,
Jamie