Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Name That Mic

If you're into this sort of thing, can you identify the mic that ABBA is using
in this video? It's from "ABBA The Movie", filmed in 1977.

A good shot is at 2:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXMyuoDFGmk

I thought it was a Beyer M400, but the grill is bright chrome in the movie.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/25/2011 11:13 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
If you're into this sort of thing, can you identify the mic that ABBA is using
in this video? It's from "ABBA The Movie", filmed in 1977.

A good shot is at 2:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXMyuoDFGmk

I thought it was a Beyer M400, but the grill is bright chrome in the movie.

I found an HD version of the movie and have confirmed that the mics are
definitely beyerdynamic mics since I can read the name on the band around the
grill. No model numbers are visible.

The closest I can come is the M500, but it seems bizarre that they would use a
ribbon mic in that environment. My best guess is that there was a dynamic mic in
that same case back in 1977 that is now discontinued. Maybe not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...j7RA#t=42 26s

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"mcp6453" wrote in message
On 12/25/2011 11:13 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

If you're into this sort of thing, can you identify the mic ABBA is
using? It's from "ABBA The Movie", 1977. A good shot is at 2:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXMyuoDFGmk
I thought it was a Beyer M400, but the grill is bright chrome in the

movie.

I found an HD version of the movie and have confirmed that the mics are
definitely beyerdynamic mics since I can read the name on the band around
the grill. No model numbers are visible.

The closest I can come is the M500, but it seems bizarre that they would

use
a ribbon mic in that environment. My best guess is that there was a

dynamic
mic in that same case back in 1977 that is now discontinued. Maybe not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...j7RA#t=42 26s

At one time, Beyer made "ruggedized" ribbon mics claimed to be about as
rugged a conventional dynamic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"mcp6453" wrote in message
[...]

The M500's are pretty tough. I still have a pair that have seen a lot of
use, and they were last reribboned, by Beyer, in 1982, after thirteen
years of almost nightly use in bars, on outdoor stages, and at AWHQ.

I bought four of them for a PA I put together in 1969, choosing them
over SM58's.

The most common failure I've met is that the glue afixing the internal
blast screen, a mesh mini-quonset hut affair, dries out and the screen
rattles around in the cage. I've reglued those several times over the
years.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri