PopFormula

Default protools mac and pc compatability

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with mac and pc
compatability with protools. I know that in the past there have been problems
with crossing formats but I am wondering if the new protools stuff (protools le
and hd) works well? Basically I want to save some money on a computer and if it
is too much hassle to bring a mac recorded session to pc or vice versa..

Thanks
Lorin David Schultz

"PopFormula" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with mac and pc
compatability with protools. I know that in the past there have been
problems with crossing formats but I am wondering if the new protools
stuff (protools le and hd) works well? Basically I want to save some
money on a computer and if it is too much hassle to bring a mac
recorded session to pc or vice versa..

It mostly works. There are a couple little gotchas, but it's getting
pretty close. In most cases the issues can be overcome. Here are the
challenges I've faced:

- If a session is created on a Mac, and "Enforce PC Mac Compatibility"
is not checked, it may not open in Windows. This can be overcome by
resaving the session on the Mac with the appropriate parameters set, but
that can sometimes be inconvenient.

- Stereo files are saved by the Mac with "dotted" filenames (i.e.
trackname.L.wav and trackname.R.wav). When you open the session in
Windows, the dots before the "L" and "R" are gone. That means that when
you open the session you have to assure Pro Tools that TracknameL.wav is
the same as Trackname.L.wav. It's not a big deal, it's just another
minor inconvenience.

- Macs won't read NTFS drives and XP won't read Mac drives. The
solutions are to pay $50 for MacDrive software that allows your XP
machine to read Mac drives, and to format your Windows drives as FAT32
rather than NTFS.

Like I said, all the little issues are easy to overcome. I move
sessions back and forth between Mac and XP almost every day, so it's
safe to say that they're "compatible."

--
"I got into audio because I like pushing buttons...
...never figured on all this freakin' wire!"