Default Connecting SPDIF?

Maybe some patient person could help me. I need some help trying to
connect my equipment via spdif and digital outs. I have the following:
1. MOTU 828MkII Interface (1 Spdif - coaxial)
2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
mini-jack connection)
3. Akai Z8 (Spdif)

I need to hook all these up. I'm more concerned about the Tascam as I
use cd samples.

I'm quite new when it comes to connecting things!
Please help

hank alrich

Maybe some patient person could help me. I need some help trying to
connect my equipment via spdif and digital outs. I have the following:
1. MOTU 828MkII Interface (1 Spdif - coaxial)
2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
mini-jack connection)
3. Akai Z8 (Spdif)

I need to hook all these up.

Great. Now what do you want to connect to what?

I'm more concerned about the Tascam as I
use cd samples.

And, what do you want to do with this gear?

I'm quite new when it comes to connecting things!

Understood. g But more information is needed here before people can
sensibly answer your questions. Further, all those pieces of equipment
come with manuals. Have you read them?

--
ha

Mate, I always read the manuals. But I'm sure you're aware that most
manuals dont provide detailed and specific setups hence the reason for
me asking here!
I want to connect the Tascam to the MOTU (mentioned above ALREADY).
Now can I ask someone else who is more helpful instead of a person who
gets a thrill outta mocking people.
Thank you

hank alrich

Mate, I always read the manuals. But I'm sure you're aware that most
manuals dont provide detailed and specific setups hence the reason for
me asking here!

Actually, most manuals I read _do_ provide that information. And that is
why I asked you in the first place.

I want to connect the Tascam to the MOTU (mentioned above ALREADY).

Please read what you posted and point out where you specified your
intended signal chain. "I need to hook all these up" is not exactly such
a description. And since they all have I's and all have O's, there are
more than a couple of ways to "hook all these up". That was, and
remains, my point.

2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
mini-jack connection)

What do you mean "digital outs on each side"? And when you say "seems
like a mini-jack connection" are you saying the manual for the Tascam
does not tell you what those connectors are and what they carry? Want to
bet?

How about asking whoever sold you this stuff?

I get a thrill out of helping people, especially people who bother to
figure out how to ask questions that can be answered sensibly. Please
see Roger Norman's post in another thread about just this situation.

As for a complete answer to your questions, you connect outputs to
inputs. There you go. Get to work.

--
ha
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:34:40 GMT, (hank alrich)
wrote:

I want to connect the Tascam to the MOTU (mentioned above ALREADY).

Please read what you posted and point out where you specified your
intended signal chain. "I need to hook all these up" is not exactly such
a description. And since they all have I's and all have O's, there are
more than a couple of ways to "hook all these up". That was, and
remains, my point.

2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
mini-jack connection)

What do you mean "digital outs on each side"? And when you say "seems
like a mini-jack connection" are you saying the manual for the Tascam
does not tell you what those connectors are and what they carry? Want to
bet?

Were you born ornery, or do you practice? :-)

The Tascam is a dual-deck CD player. I think we can safely assume
that if it HAS digital connections, they are outputs. One for each
deck.

He has two other units that could receive digital data. It's a bit
of a no-brainer then that Digital Out of the CD needs to go to Digital
In of one of these. Using a cable with suitable connectors on either
end. But if it needs spelling out, we can cope :-)

There will doubtless be controls on all items to select analogue or
digital inputs and outputs. This will be in described in the
relevant manuals.

It was a bit of a non-question. There may be ramifications with
different digital formats. But what-goes-where is unambiguous
enough, surely?

CubaseFAQ
www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
Loren Amelang

On 6 Feb 2005 08:01:12 -0800, wrote:

Maybe some patient person could help me. I need some help trying to
connect my equipment via spdif and digital outs. I have the following:
1. MOTU 828MkII Interface (1 Spdif - coaxial)
2. Tascam CDX1500 Cd Player (Digital outs on each side, seems like a
mini-jack connection)
3. Akai Z8 (Spdif)

1. Probably an "RCA" jack?
2. If you look down inside the "mini-jack", do you see an LED?
3. Another RCA?

Connector 1 is electrical, 2 is optical (and may also provide an
analog electrical connection via the mini jack). You can buy a little
adapter box to go between them, for $20 at an electronics dealer like
MCM, or $200 at an audio store. The simple adapter is one-way, so be
sure to get the one with the input and output you want. More expensive
models may include multiple connectors and both directions.

You'll also need a coax cable for one side, and an optical cable for
the other. If your adapter and optical cable use the ~1/4" D-shaped
TOSlink connector instead of one that is shaped like a mini-jack,
there are little adapters that fit over the TOSlink end and into the
mini jack.

There are also the two-pin "digital" connector on the back of most
internal CD drives, which is (almost) S/PDIF but with 0-5 V level, and
the BNC connector on "professional" gear which is AES/EBU, the pro
version of S/PDIF. A simple passive adapter will let you connect the
digital out of a CD drive to a coax S/PDIF input. Sometimes you can
connect AES/EBU to a coax S/PDIF input with an appropriate cable, but
AES/EBU is capable of data formats the simpler S/PDIF won't
understand.

Hope that helps...

Loren

Thank you in advance to Mike.
In regards to the other 2 funny people who replied to this, I clearly
mentioned above that I wanted to connect the equipment via spdif. Now
maybe you 2 didnt know that the MOTU has 1 SPDIF connection hence the
reason for me asking. I know about chaining equipment in reference to
the analogue query. That was not my question. Maybe you need to read
the question because why the hell would I mention the types of DIGITAL
connections the equipment provided.
Mate, seriously, if you dont want to answer the question then dont but
do us a favour and stop acting childish with your absurd remarks.
Theres no need for them. I also mentioned that I'm quite new to this. I
have never chained gear digitally.
wrote:

[...]

hank alrich

x-no archive: yes

Laurence Payne wrote:

Were you born ornery, or do you practice? :-)

Daddy told me natural talent alone wasn't enough.

--
ha