Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.tubes
Pete[_2_] Pete[_2_] is offline

Default FA: Pair McIntosh C8 Mono Preamp 12AX7 Tubes Excellent C-8 300093857630]

?????Why is that.......The Marantz 7 (1959) had 12AX7's and it's a stereo
design....These are mono amps with the phono equaliztion feature........Can
you specify a date that the 12AX7 went into production? While you are doing
that I'll check the web for C-8 info....

wrote in message
In rec.antiques.radio+phono Pete wrote:
This amp was popular in the early fifties, perhaps even late

40's....which
means it could be 60 years old....

In that case, it would not have come with 12AX7 tubes, or even sockets
they would fit in...

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.tubes
WindsorFox WindsorFox is offline

Pete wrote:
This amp was popular in the early fifties, perhaps even late 40's....which
means it could be 60 years old....

"WindsorFox" wrote in message
Pete wrote:
ANyway, what is a "macIntosh" 12AX7 tube?.........A tube that was pulled

out
of a Macintosh preamp I guess....ANd I see it's a mono C8 preamp so the
tubes are probably sixty years old!.....OOOOOOOk.....

I imagine it is a tube that says McIntosh on it, and doubt it is
more than 40 years old. If it is 30-40 years old and unused, then it
really doesn't matter.

You said tube, not amplifier.
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.tubes
Pete[_2_] Pete[_2_] is offline

12AX7 is a miniature dual triode vacuum tube with high voltage gain. It is
believed to have been originally developed in 1946 by RCA engineers in
Harrison, New Jersey under developmental number A-4522. Release date for
public sale under the 12AX7 identifier was September 15, 1947. 12AX7 was
originally intended as a miniature form-factor follow-on to the 6SL7 family
of dual-triode amplifier tubes for audio applications. Its ongoing wide use
in guitar amplifiers (see Valve sound) has caused it to be one of the very
few small-signal vacuum tubes to continue in production since it was
introduced.

wrote in message
In rec.antiques.radio+phono Pete wrote:
This amp was popular in the early fifties, perhaps even late

40's....which
means it could be 60 years old....

In that case, it would not have come with 12AX7 tubes, or even sockets
they would fit in...

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] maarten@panic.xx.tudelft.nl is offline

In rec.antiques.radio+phono Pete wrote:
?????Why is that.......The Marantz 7 (1959) had 12AX7's and it's a stereo
design....These are mono amps with the phono equaliztion feature........Can
you specify a date that the 12AX7 went into production? While you are doing
that I'll check the web for C-8 info....

I was referring to your remark about the late fourties. The 12AX7 (ECC83)
would be a mid-fifties type as far as I know.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] maarten@panic.xx.tudelft.nl is offline

In rec.antiques.radio+phono Pete wrote:
12AX7 is a miniature dual triode vacuum tube with high voltage gain. It is
believed to have been originally developed in 1946 by RCA engineers in
Harrison, New Jersey under developmental number A-4522. Release date for
public sale under the 12AX7 identifier was September 15, 1947. 12AX7 was
originally intended as a miniature form-factor follow-on to the 6SL7 family
of dual-triode amplifier tubes for audio applications. Its ongoing wide use
in guitar amplifiers (see Valve sound) has caused it to be one of the very
few small-signal vacuum tubes to continue in production since it was
introduced.

That is about 6 years earlier than I would have thought, so it could be
indeed 60 years old then.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.