00

Default can portable cassette recorder record on Type II tapes?

Hi,
Does anyone know if ordinary cassette recorder can record on Type II i.e.
CR-O2 tapes?
Recently I bought a portable Sony casette recorder(model TCS-30D), its
instruction says Type II tapes should not be used. Is there any significant
difference between cassette heads that can and those that cannot record on
Type II tapes?
I’m trying to record onto cassette tapes from original cassettes (hooking up
a mini hifi system with single casstte player to a portable Sony cassette
recorder), and finding Type I tapes giving inferior sound quality - or is
the recording head not giving good enough recording?
Thanks for all help.

Lee Salter

Does anyone know if ordinary cassette recorder can record on Type II i.e.
CR-O2 tapes?

If all components of the "System" are functioning properly and the
tape heads are all clean and properly aligned, the audio into and out
of the recording machine should sound the same (except for a minor
increase in hiss).
The use of Type II tapes on a machine not designed for it should
produce a very unpleasant artificial sound.
If Type II tapes sound good and normal tapes do not, something is
wrong.
Most likely the head is dirty and/or out of alignment.

Lee Salter
00

I just discovered that the Sony portable can only record at frequency range
of 250-6300hz, whereas the playback range is 50-14000hz !, clearly the audio
into and out of the recording machine is unequal, no wonder the recording is
so poor.. , it took me so long to figure out! so anyone who wants to buy a
machine to record at the same level as playback must take note of this
discrepancy!
I have now abandoned the idea of using type II tapes on a machine not
designed for it.
Thanks yr response.

of the recording machine

om...