Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default stopping "pop" in new set up?

Didn't want to start a new thread, but those following know of my recent
acquisitions and definite upgrades from mixing in the car. In a
nutshell, a world of difference! Ok, here's an annoyance I'm having but
not sure how to solve:

The Presonus speakers and Behringer 202 box are connected both to one
another with the box plugged in to the laptop USB port. Booting up the
laptop, I seem to get an annoying "pop" from the speakers. Doesn't seem
to matter if I have the volume on the Behringer turned all the way down,
I still get the pop. What's the best way to circumvent this? I feel
this could be *potentially* damaging to the speakers under the wrong
conditions or over time.

Thanks again!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/6/2018 1:55 PM, JBI wrote:
The Presonus speakers and Behringer 202 box are connected both to one
another with the box plugged in to the laptop USB port.Â* Booting up the
laptop, I seem to get an annoying "pop" from the speakers.Â* Doesn't seem
to matter if I have the volume on the Behringer turned all the way down,
I still get the pop.Â* What's the best way to circumvent this?

Turn the speakers on after the computer is finished making all of its
rude noises. I have a sequenced power strip that has a few outlets that
come on as soon as I switch the power on, a few that come on about 10
seconds later, and the ones that the power amplifier for the monitors
are plugged in comes on 30 seconds later.

I got mine at a hamfest for about $5, but they're pretty expensive
normally. You're better off just getting a cheap switched power strip,
plug the speakers into that, and turn them off before you shut down the
computer, and then, when you boot up the computer and start playing some
audio and don't hear anything, you'll remember to switch on the speakers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/06/2018 03:21 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/6/2018 1:55 PM, JBI wrote:
The Presonus speakers and Behringer 202 box are connected both to one
another with the box plugged in to the laptop USB port.Â* Booting up
the laptop, I seem to get an annoying "pop" from the speakers.
Doesn't seem to matter if I have the volume on the Behringer turned
all the way down, I still get the pop.Â* What's the best way to
circumvent this?

Turn the speakers on after the computer is finished making all of its
rude noises. I have a sequenced power strip that has a few outlets that
come on as soon as I switch the power on, a few that come on about 10
seconds later, and the ones that the power amplifier for the monitors
are plugged in comes on 30 seconds later.

I got mine at a hamfest for about $5, but they're pretty expensive
normally. You're better off just getting a cheap switched power strip,
plug the speakers into that, and turn them off before you shut down the
computer, and then, when you boot up the computer and start playing some
audio and don't hear anything, you'll remember to switch on the speakers.

Thanks, the six outlet power strip is exactly what I did. I had a spare
for ages in the trunk of my car and now it has a use. At least I can
now switch on the speakers simultaneously from my chair as opposed to
having to flip the switch on the back of each one each time. And now
avoid the pops altogether.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 3/6/2018 1:55 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

Thanks, the six outlet power strip is exactly what I did.Â* I had a spare
for ages in the trunk of my car and now it has a use.Â* At least I can
now switch on the speakers simultaneously from my chair as opposed to
having to flip the switch on the back of each one each time. And now
avoid the pops altogether.

Yep - it is standard audio procedure. Powered speakers (or amp) turns on
last, and off first. Else you are likely to get damaging pops through
the system. Any system.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/11/2018 5:25 AM, geoff wrote:
Yep - it is standard audio procedure. Powered speakers (or amp) turns on
last, and off first. Else you are likely to get damaging pops through
the system. Any system.

Turn-on pops are annoying, but they're rarely damaging unless something
is really wrong or you've done something really careless. Still, it's
not difficult to avoid them by establishing a good habit, so it's a good
idea to do so.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/11/2018 09:23 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/11/2018 5:25 AM, geoff wrote:
Yep - it is standard audio procedure. Powered speakers (or amp) turns
on last, and off first. Else you are likely to get damaging pops
through the system. Any system.

Turn-on pops are annoying, but they're rarely damaging unless something
is really wrong or you've done something really careless. Still, it's
not difficult to avoid them by establishing a good habit, so it's a good
idea to do so.

Good thing they're not because I have forgotten to turn the strip off
first a couple of times when powering down the laptop and got the pops.
.

I can see what you mean about the timed strips, but I'm under the
impression the delay feature only worked during power up. However, I
can see where such a delay strip would be useful.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

I've been turning on and plugging/unplugging stuff for 50 years and have never blown anything.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

"JBI" :

Good thing they're not because I have forgotten to turn the strip off
first a couple of times when powering down the laptop and got the pops.
.

Don´t worry! Every single time your ears hear that loud unpleasant "POP!"
will remind you to not forget the "correct" order next time. ;-)
Just do it often enough and you will learn...

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/11/2018 10:11 AM, JBI wrote:
I can see what you mean about the timed strips, but I'm under the
impression the delay feature only worked during power up.Â* However, I
can see where such a delay strip would be useful.

Some power sequencers offer sequenced turn-off as well as turn-on, so
you can have your speakers turn off first. But as I mentioned, and
you've observed, it's an expensive way to avoid remembering to do things
in an orderly manner.

On the other hand, why ever turn your computer off? I have six or seven
computers here and the only one that's ever turned off, other than for
maintenance, is the laptop that's only used for travel.

Also, I don't know if your speakers offer it, but several powered
speakers off an automatic standby mode that puts them in a very low
power consumption mode if they haven't seen a signal in an hour or so
and turn on automatically when they see a signal. So that might mean
that they might not turn on fast enough to catch the "pop" when you turn
your computer on or off.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/11/2018 11:27 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/11/2018 10:11 AM, JBI wrote:
I can see what you mean about the timed strips, but I'm under the
impression the delay feature only worked during power up.Â* However, I
can see where such a delay strip would be useful.

Some power sequencers offer sequenced turn-off as well as turn-on, so
you can have your speakers turn off first. But as I mentioned, and
you've observed, it's an expensive way to avoid remembering to do things
in an orderly manner.

On the other hand, why ever turn your computer off? I have six or seven
computers here and the only one that's ever turned off, other than for
maintenance, is the laptop that's only used for travel.

I turn them off because I only use laptops for my main system. I still
have a desktop, but it's old and I have had instability issues with it
lately that I am trying to work out. So, as a result, I have two
identical laptops, one I seriously beefed up a year ago, while the
other, this one, used for Internet and other less demanding purposes. I
do video work as well, so needed something fairly robust. Now these
laptops still probably can't hold a candle to what I could go out and
buy today, but they are still better than the very old desktop.

That being said, in the days when my desktop was the main workhorse, it
stayed on for years. I learned some hard lessons though using it for
the first part of those years without any kind of UPS and power outages
destroyed a hard drive or two. Lesson learned and UPS introduced.

Also, I don't know if your speakers offer it, but several powered
speakers off an automatic standby mode that puts them in a very low
power consumption mode if they haven't seen a signal in an hour or so
and turn on automatically when they see a signal. So that might mean
that they might not turn on fast enough to catch the "pop" when you turn
your computer on or off.

No, these Eris E5's don't seem to have that.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 11:27:04 -0400 "Mike Rivers" wrote
in article
So that might mean
that they might not turn on fast enough to catch the "pop" when you turn
your computer on or off.

I have monitors with that 'feature' and a pop never makes it through.
Trouble is, the delay can be just long enough to be annoying. Do class D
amps have to warm up or something?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/13/2018 10:53 PM, Jason wrote:
I have monitors with that 'feature' [mute for a while after turn-on] and a pop never makes it through.
Trouble is, the delay can be just long enough to be annoying. Do class D
amps have to warm up or something?

No, not to "warm up" like tubes, but it does take a second or so for all
the capacitors to charge and they don't all charge at the same rate.
There may be some low frequency instability that appears as a thump in
the output during that period while things stabilize.

If you're talking about the automatic standby feature, yeah, you can
miss a note or three before it decides that it's time to let the music
through. That could be annoying, so if it is, don't use auto-standby,
and turn your speakers on after you turn on whatever is feeding audio to
them, and before you start playing the music.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jason wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 11:27:04 -0400 "Mike Rivers" wrote
in article
So that might mean
that they might not turn on fast enough to catch the "pop" when you turn
your computer on or off.

I have monitors with that 'feature' and a pop never makes it through.
Trouble is, the delay can be just long enough to be annoying. Do class D
amps have to warm up or something?

Many amps, especially Class D amps, have a microprocessor on board
that stages powerup.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Egan Joe Egan is offline

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 3:21:10 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/6/2018 1:55 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

I have powered outlet strips in a few places around my control room. One on my computer rack, one on my console, and one one on my effects rack. I power up the computer first, the console (well, the C|24- I sold my analog D&R Cinemix a few years back), and one on my outboard rack which also controls my monitors. I reverse the order when I power down. I had to use trial and error to figure out what to plug where, but I finally have everything set so there are no pops. I really like having just
three switches control the dozens of AC powered devices.