Christopher

Default SP C4s on Concert Grand Piano

Hello all --

After buying my spectacular concert grand piano last year, I finally
have some dough to spend on some decent recording gear. I just bought
a Yamaha 16-track HD recorder and am looking for a good matched pair
of condenser mics, most particularly for my piano, but also for
acoustic guitar and other instruments.

The SP C4s seem like a good fit, and the newsgroup users seem excited
about them, but I'm concerned about the low-range frequency response.
Their low range begins at 40Hz, which is definitely less than, say, a
pair of NT5s at 20Hz. The lowest note on a piano is 27.5Hz, which
isn't even in the range of these mics.

I'm leaning toward these mics, because I like having the
interchangeable capsules (my room has excellent acoustics, so I'd like
the option of going omni as well as cardioid), but I'm just concerned
about the low end.

Granted, I don't spend a lot of time on the lowest few notes of the
piano, but I want to make sure that any mics I buy won't fall off
completely in the bottom octave.

Has anyone had experience with the C4s and a nice piano? Should I be
concerned about the frequency issue? Can someone with a better
understanding of microphones and frequencies comment on the issue at
hand? Are the NT5s a better bet for my application? Or is there
another set of mics you would recommend in the $300-400 range?

Thanks in advance, everyone! These newsgroups have been excellent
reading to help me narrow my microphone search.

With many thanks,

Christopher