Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Default Interesting reading min phase vs linear phase

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filte...lly_Ideal.html

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mark" wrote in message

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filte...lly_Ideal.html

The "correct" answer is that it depends on what you're using the filtering
for. Most -- but not all -- deviations from flat amplitude response are
minimum-phase, and require minimum-phase correction.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Feb 13, 2:04*pm, Mark wrote:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filte...lly_Ideal.html

Mark

this supports my contention that brick wall (steep) filtering always
has a bad transient response (ringing). The only way to make a filter
with better transient response (less ringing) is to make the
transition band more gradual. Changing the phase response can move
the ringing around, (before or after the main response) but does not
eliminate it.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Mark wrote:
On Feb 13, 2:04=A0pm, Mark wrote:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filte...lly_Ideal.html

this supports my contention that brick wall (steep) filtering always
has a bad transient response (ringing). The only way to make a filter
with better transient response (less ringing) is to make the
transition band more gradual. Changing the phase response can move
the ringing around, (before or after the main response) but does not
eliminate it.

In the analogue domain, this is the case. In the digital domain where
we can build FIR filters, it's not the case at all. Consequently, we
use oversampling on digital converters to move as much of the anti-aliasing
and reconstruction filter into the digital domain.

I strongly recommend the discussion of filtering in _Signals and Systems_
which is a good introduction to the math.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mark" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 2:04 pm, Mark wrote:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filte...lly_Ideal.html

Mark

this supports my contention that brick wall (steep) filtering always
has a bad transient response (ringing). The only way to make a filter
with better transient response (less ringing) is to make the
transition band more gradual. Changing the phase response can move
the ringing around, (before or after the main response) but does not
eliminate it.

This is not completely true.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Feb 14, 1:53*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
In article ,

Mark wrote:
On Feb 13, 2:04=A0pm, Mark wrote:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/filte...lly_Ideal.html

this supports my contention that brick wall (steep) filtering always
has a bad transient response (ringing). *The only way to make a filter
with better transient response (less ringing) is to make the
transition band more gradual. *Changing the phase response can move
the ringing around, (before or after the main response) *but does not
eliminate it.

In the analogue domain, this is the case. *In the digital domain where
we can build FIR filters, it's not the case at all. *Consequently, we
use oversampling on digital converters to move as much of the anti-aliasing
and reconstruction filter into the digital domain.

I strongly recommend the discussion of filtering in _Signals and Systems_
which is a good introduction to the math.
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

I'm sorry to disagree. An FIR filter with a linear phase will still
have ringing if the frequency resonse is steep. This is shown in the
example in the Stanford site. The min phase filter (typical of an
anlog filter) has post ringing. A linear phase filter (typical of a
digital FIR filter) has both pre and post ringing. The duration is
less but the point of the artcile is that pre ringing is more
objectionalbe compard to post ringing. In any case the linear phase
filter still does have ringing.

The bottom part of Fig 11.2 is a linear phase filter like a typical
FIR filter.

Mark