Bill Fredette

Default Urgent plea for help - ancient telephone hybrid

Hello. Without going into exhaustive detail, I find myself saddled
with a really old "telephone equalizer," no manual and a group of
people that want me to make it work for them. So I'm hoping someone
here would be willing to venture an opinion/offer some guidance.

The unit is a Russco Electronics Model T212 Telephone Equalizer. As
far as I can gather, Russco is long gone, and I can find no
documentation on line. The group hopes to use the unit as a phone
hybrid.

The back of the unit just has a terminal strip. Here's the layout (X
indicates a screw):

---1---- ----2---- HOLD LINE ---A--- ---B---
X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
NO C NC G NO C NC Coil +18 G - G + - G +

The front panel has a "line" switch with "in" and "out" positions, an
"in/out" switch for three equalizer pots (LO MID HI) and an "in/out"
switch for "HI BOOST."

Now I have no idea if the unit can even be used as a hybrid, but am
hoping that someone here might have some insight. The date for using
this thing is June 19. If you can offer any help, I'd really
appreciate it!

Also, in case the ASCII art above doesn't translate, I've put some
pics at www.84dragons.com

Thanks,

Bill Fredette
Logan Shaw

pics at www.84dragons.com

I tried to look at those, but I don't know how to reach your D: drive.

- Logan
Bill Fredette

pics at www.84dragons.com

I tried to look at those, but I don't know how to reach your D: drive.

- Logan

Sorry about that. Did it in a hurry and must have munged something. I
think it's squared away now.

Thanks!
Bill Fredette

On 14 Jun 2004 20:25:20 GMT, ospam (WillStG) wrote:

Bill Fredette

[...]

pics at
www.84dragons.com

Bill,

I think Russco Electronics was run by Russ Friend, mostly retired now,
his old number was (559) 298-6838.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Thanks, Will. That number is out of service. I appreciate the attempt,
though!

Bill

Tim Perry

pics at www.84dragons.com

I tried to look at those, but I don't know how to reach your D: drive.

- Logan

Sorry about that. Did it in a hurry and must have munged something. I
think it's squared away now.

Thanks!

this is a telephone coupler. it is not a hybrid. basically it will seize
the line and give some tone control on the caller. the switch contacts (1
& 2) can give you some control of external equipment.

this unit is very old. i have never seen any russco equipment that
functioned properly (with the possible exception of their tone arm. even
those the headshells loosened over time)

if its truly a hybrid you need, this just wont do it.

Bill Fredette

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:37:52 -0400, "Tim Perry"
wrote:

this is a telephone coupler. it is not a hybrid. basically it will seize
the line and give some tone control on the caller. the switch contacts (1
& 2) can give you some control of external equipment.

this unit is very old. i have never seen any russco equipment that
functioned properly (with the possible exception of their tone arm. even
those the headshells loosened over time)

if its truly a hybrid you need, this just wont do it.

Thanks, Tim. I think you're right. Oh, well... I did at least manage
to track down Russ Friend. Very nice gentleman.

Tim Perry

wrote:

this is a telephone coupler. it is not a hybrid. basically it will seize
the line and give some tone control on the caller. the switch contacts

(1
& 2) can give you some control of external equipment.

this unit is very old. i have never seen any russco equipment that
functioned properly (with the possible exception of their tone arm. even
those the headshells loosened over time)

if its truly a hybrid you need, this just wont do it.

Thanks, Tim. I think you're right. Oh, well... I did at least manage
to track down Russ Friend. Very nice gentleman.

what do you need to accomplish?

if full duplex biderectional is needed can you create a mix-minus?

is it non-profit? i have a few hybrids on hand. or might be able to
suggest a low cost alternitive such as a speaker phone.

Bill Fredette

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:45:25 -0400, "Tim Perry"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

this is a telephone coupler. it is not a hybrid. basically it will seize
the line and give some tone control on the caller. the switch contacts

(1
& 2) can give you some control of external equipment.

this unit is very old. i have never seen any russco equipment that
functioned properly (with the possible exception of their tone arm. even
those the headshells loosened over time)

if its truly a hybrid you need, this just wont do it.

Thanks, Tim. I think you're right. Oh, well... I did at least manage
to track down Russ Friend. Very nice gentleman.

what do you need to accomplish?

if full duplex biderectional is needed can you create a mix-minus?

is it non-profit? i have a few hybrids on hand. or might be able to
suggest a low cost alternitive such as a speaker phone.

Hi, Tim. I sent you an e-mail. Thanks for your interest.

Bill
Ruth

If you can't get it to work, what about
http://www.retellrecorders.com/recor...achine/650.htm less than $200
It is used for broadcast. On that site, if you go to
http://www.retellrecorders.com/help/connectors.htm , down at the bottom,
(you have to scroll down quite a long way), it talks about the Intelligent
Recording Interface part 650 and you can click on a link to listen to a
recording made with it.
RuthWest

pics at www.84dragons.com

Thanks,