Harry Lavo

Default Arcam DV-79 DVD-V; DVD-A player

Had a chance to audition this unit at some length using familiar DVD-A's and
CD's, through Arcam's own top of the line preamp/processor and multichannel
amp and a Joseph Audio 5.1 surround system.

Cut to the chase, this is a very fine unit - both for CD and for DVD-A.
Extremely transparent, but at the same time maintaining a realistic tumbrel
balance. I'd say the transparency was on par with my little Pany S55
(extreme) but the tumbrel balance more reminiscent of the Sony CS222ES SACD
player.

If you happen to like DVD-A's future and are looking in the $1000-2000 price
range, you should probably audition this unit. At $1799 list it offers
excellent CD and DVD sound..I can't comment on the picture.

For me, I'm staying for now with the Pioneer 578 at 1/10 the price for DVD-A
and DVD-V. I'll either upgrade my Sony or look for an all-in-one while the
format struggles continue.

Harry Lavo
Retro Sound
Holyoke, MA 01040

"It don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing" - Duke Ellington