Larry McQueary

Default TEAC R-888X cassette deck tape detection problem?

I have a TEAC R-888X auto-reverse cassette deck (circa 1987). I haven't
played anything in it for a while (a couple years maybe), and am
cleaning it and preparing to sell it. Everything seemed OK until I put a
tape in, expecting it to work fine, as it always has (ho ho). The moment
I hit play, the rotary playback head moves up towards the tape, quickly
rotates the opposite direction, retracts, and then the transport
controls all go dead. To get the transport controls working again, I
have to power the system off and back on. FF and REW work fine, of
course, as long as I don't press play.

I am no tech, but am guessing that either

a) the transport controls are shutting off to protect themselves for
some reason, or
b) the playback head isn't detecting a tape - which is weird, since the
"type" sensor (normal vs. CrO2 vs. Metal) senses the tape.

Can someone give me a simple solution to this? I am guessing this is a
common problem.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Larry

Mark D. Zacharias

First I would make sure that an auto-play or record switch isn't engaged on
the front panel.

Could be a lifter belt, main belt or mode-switch is causing problems.

Mark Z.

"Larry McQueary" wrote in message
[...]

Larry McQueary

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
First I would make sure that an auto-play or record switch isn't engaged on
the front panel.

Could be a lifter belt, main belt or mode-switch is causing problems.

Mark Z.

Tbanks for the response -- yes, I checked and this is not an auto-play
(timer) or record switch issue. There seems to be a tape detection
issue. I can reproduce this behavior with no tape in the deck by
manually depressing the contact switch in the upper part of the tape
compartment while the door is shut. The playback head and associated
bits seem to not notice there's a tape in there.

Larry McQueary

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

First I would make sure that an auto-play or record switch isn't engaged on
the front panel.

Could be a lifter belt, main belt or mode-switch is causing problems.

Mark Z.

Also, as far as belts go, the belts look fine -- the playback head is
lifted to the tape surface area twice before it fails.

Larry McQueary

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Well, I don't have any more for you, really. I would just have to look at
it. Some of those Teacs were a bit more complicated than most other brands.

Mark Z.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the tips! Thanks.

LWM