Spudston

Default Old Teac Tape Deck problem

Hi all. I have an old Teac CX400 three head tape deck that I use rarely.
The last time I used it, rewind was very slow and starting a tape for
playback was slow too at first but picked up to speed in a second or so. I
would guess that this is a problem with belts and/or lubrication. Would
belts be available for a machine this old, and if so, where would I find
them? Also, is lack of lubrication a possible issue? I'd like to keep
using this deck as it has microphone inputs. I've had very bad luck with
the local stereo repair shop, so I don't want to go there.

Thanks for any help,
Spudston

dickydoo

Is this the one with the glass ferrite heads made in the 70s ? If so I have
3 of them in my garage all with the same fault slowing down on playback. I
think its the motors as I have changed belts etc. Another common fault is
the 100k slide pot on the left channel has a weaker recording level.
"Spudston" wrote in message
Hi all. I have an old Teac CX400 three head tape deck that I use rarely.
The last time I used it, rewind was very slow and starting a tape for
playback was slow too at first but picked up to speed in a second or so.

would guess that this is a problem with belts and/or lubrication. Would
belts be available for a machine this old, and if so, where would I find
them? Also, is lack of lubrication a possible issue? I'd like to keep
using this deck as it has microphone inputs. I've had very bad luck with
the local stereo repair shop, so I don't want to go there.

Thanks for any help,
Spudston

Spudston

I don't know what the heads are made of, but I bought it in about '81 or so.
It has concentric rotary knobs to set the rec levels. I see that
action-electronics.com has a "rubber revitalizer" for belts and such. I
wonder if this would be worth a try?

Thanks for your response,
Spudston

"Spudston" wrote in message
Hi all. I have an old Teac CX400 three head tape deck that I use

rarely.
The last time I used it, rewind was very slow and starting a tape for
playback was slow too at first but picked up to speed in a second or so.

would guess that this is a problem with belts and/or lubrication. Would
belts be available for a machine this old, and if so, where would I find
them? Also, is lack of lubrication a possible issue? I'd like to keep
using this deck as it has microphone inputs. I've had very bad luck

with
the local stereo repair shop, so I don't want to go there.

Thanks for any help,
Spudston

dickydoo

Okay its not the one's that I have .Mine have sliding pots for recording and
are top loading.. I remember someone saying that you can use neat dish wash
liquid on a cotton bud to revitalise rubber while it is in the FF mode with
the cover off the cassette holder. Good luck

"Spudston" wrote in message
Hi all. I have an old Teac CX400 three head tape deck that I use

rarely.
The last time I used it, rewind was very slow and starting a tape for
playback was slow too at first but picked up to speed in a second or

so.
would guess that this is a problem with belts and/or lubrication.

Would
belts be available for a machine this old, and if so, where would I

find
them? Also, is lack of lubrication a possible issue? I'd like to

keep
using this deck as it has microphone inputs. I've had very bad luck

with
the local stereo repair shop, so I don't want to go there.

Thanks for any help,
Spudston

Klay Anderson

In article RuStb.214964$HS4.1851862@attbi_s01,
"Spudston" wrote:

The last time I used it, rewind was very slow and starting a tape for
playback was slow too at first but picked up to speed in a second or so.

I used to service these. We found dried bearings and some bad motors-motors that
just loose their torque. Also check the tape path for signs of accumulated crap from
"sticky shed syndrome".

--
Regards,
Mr. Klay Anderson

Spudston

"Spudston" wrote:

The last time I used it, rewind was very slow and starting a tape for
playback was slow too at first but picked up to speed in a second or so.

I used to service these. We found dried bearings and some bad

motors-motors that
just loose their torque.

Can the bearings be lubed? If so, what do I use?

Also check the tape path for signs of accumulated crap from
"sticky shed syndrome".

I'll do that!

Thanks,
Spudston

Klay Anderson

In article fIVtb.216346$HS4.1876611@attbi_s01,
"Spudston" wrote:

Can the bearings be lubed? If so, what do I use?

The only way to get to them (and sometimes the tape arms and the pinch roller arm
will gum up,too) is to dismantle it. You have to get the old greese out of there
and replace it.