Ikhaya Studios

Default Russian mic repair plea

Scott,
Yeah bingo on UPS. I didn't want to rely on USPS and UPS, AIRBORNE and
FEDEX only give you one option for shipping over there.

I've since been in contact with UPS' international dept. and their
working through a liason in Russia trying to change the status of the
package to complete the delivery without customs penalties. So I
actually haven't yet incurred the second $125 return fee and it still
may make it into the hands of Nevaton so... we'll see.

I guess I should have inquired on this group first before launching it
overseas. But after my regular mic tech refused it (no schematic) and
Nevaton's distributor "The Sound Room" in Fla. told me that they had
quit selling and providing repairs for it due to "Russian quality
conrol" issues (I know, red flags here)I figured no one else would touch
it either. So I got in touch with the company directly (and quite easily).

Anyway, If it ends up coming back untouched I'll revisit this with you.
Thanks.
Ema

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Ikhaya Studios wrote:

I'll spare you all the details in the painful events leading up to this
but... I have a Nevaton MK48 stereo mic that needs to be repaired. After
receiving instructions from the head of the company, I sent the mic to
them in St Petersburg, Russia for repair. But due to a "catch-22"
customs issue and an untenable bureaucracy it is being returned to me
(at my cost) still in disrepair.

I work on these all the time.

Therefore, I'm looking for recommendations as to who might be willing to
take on this repair job here in the US. I'm getting a fizzing/sputtering
out of one side and the capsule assembly actually physically shifts
(severely) around within the casing. There is no schematic either(I know
I know).

I have a schematic somewhere if you need it, but the sputtering is probably
caused by one of those crappy Ulyanov capacitors going bad. That's the
most common failure on those. I've seen the FETs go bad too, but that
is not a big deal.

It ain't a U89, but it's a step above the "midrange" stereo mics in the
market (in sonic character and cost)and a valuable tool in my mic
arsenal. I really don't want to lose it and I'm not yet ready to cut my
losses. But I've already spent almost $250 on shipping alone(there and
back)and am still back at square 1.

They are easy microphones to work on. But $250 for shipping sounds like
you used UPS or something.

Ikhaya Studios / Transhumance Music

GKB

Default was Russian mic repair plea now shipping

I agree with the others UPS across the border , not worth it !
i have had good results for small to modest packages with
normal post [ Canada ]

regards Greg

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Ikhaya Studios wrote:

Yeah bingo on UPS. I didn't want to rely on USPS and UPS, AIRBORNE and
FEDEX only give you one option for shipping over there.

Do not ever shop international through UPS. They will constantly tack
customs prices on.

They just added a $21 customs brokerage fee to a NAFTA-covered Canadian
shipment (with no duty) I received. Combined with their $46 freight
carriage, that came to almost exactly *three times* the price of FedEx
ground for the same package weight/dimensions and insurance.

Ty Ford

In Article , Ikhaya Studios
wrote:
[...]

Thanks in advance.

--
Ikhaya Studios / Transhumance Music

Stop ****ing around and buy an AT 4050 if you want a good 3-pattern mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Ikhaya Studios

Ty Ford wrote:
Snip

Stop ****ing around and buy an AT 4050 if you want a good 3-pattern mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Well actually we are discussing a *stereo* mic and not a 3-pattern mic,
but thank you for the suggestion.

--
Ikhaya Studios / Transhumance Music

Scott Dorsey

Ikhaya Studios wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Do not EVER use UPS for international shipping.

Well I've done a lot of international shipping with them before and have
never had this problem; but, fair enough. Who do you recommend?

Depends on the country. In Europe and Canada, the post itself is good enough
that I don't have any problems just using that for small packages. And you
are much less apt to pay inflated duties and charges. If you're going to a
place where you can't trust the posts (which includes Russia), FedEx is not
too bad. Danzas is usually cheaper and just as reliable for large packages,
though.

Krell Repair BSSR Audio Opinions 1 October 16th 14 05:34 PM
Sony Repair Suggestions Geoff Wood General 43 May 7th 04 03:11 AM
specific advice on surround repair MajBach1 Audio Opinions 0 January 29th 04 12:30 AM
updated web site for Quad 405 modifications and repair information Floyd Turbo High End Audio 0 September 30th 03 11:49 PM
beogram 8000 turntable repair any shadetree repair techs out there? s [email protected] High End Audio 0 August 24th 03 08:32 PM