Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mick[_2_] Mick[_2_] is offline

Default can't hear Midi files with Audiophile 2496

I was trying the Midi feature of Intelliscore Ensemble today only to find
out that Midi files are silent on my system. They appear to play and I see
a signal, but no audio. I am using Audiophile 2496 on WinXP system. There
may be something wrong with the Audiophile drivers. When I click on the
M-Audio Delta icon at the bottom right of the screen, it opens but all I see
on the input side is 1/2 in and spdif in and the same for output. When
going to sounds and audio devices properties from the control panel, Delta
AP 1/2 is apparent but no device volume or speaker adjustments are
available. Audio shows playback as DeltaAP 1/2, adjustments available,
recording as Delta AP Monitor with NO adjustments available and Delta AP
Midi for midi playback also with NO volume or advanced adjustments
available. In the Volume Control mixer, only wave, SW synth, and CD player
are present and nothing is muted.

That's about it. I've tried to describe what I'm seeing in the system. I
can play wave files fine as well as just about any other media type, but not
midi files.

Appreciate any help here. Does anyone think the Audiophile drivers are
improperly installed or is there maybe another problem?

Thanks,
Mick

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:39:07 -0500, "Mick" wrote:

[...]

I don't know what Intelliscore Ensemble is, but if it plays MIDI it
must have an option of what device to route it to. Look for a
Preferences menu and see where it's going. It might be sending to
the Audiophile digital outs. If your computer also has an onboard
sound chip (and you haven't disabled it in BIOS) the sound may be
going there.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Laurence Payne wrote:

I don't know what Intelliscore Ensemble is, but if it plays MIDI it
must have an option of what device to route it to. Look for a
Preferences menu and see where it's going. It might be sending to
the Audiophile digital outs. If your computer also has an onboard
sound chip (and you haven't disabled it in BIOS) the sound may be
going there.

Or it might be sending MIDI to the MIDI outputs, which is why nothing will
be heard !

As far as I can see the output of this software is MIDI, not audio. To hear
the file produced, the output needs to be routed to a MIDI synth - either
virtual (an instrument running on the PC), or an external MIDI sound module
via the MIDI ports. You could ry playing the resultant file on WMP with
it's rather crude softsynth.

See
http://www.intelliscore.net/faq.html#Q3

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mick wrote:

I was trying the Midi feature of Intelliscore Ensemble today only to
find out that Midi files are silent on my system. They appear to
play and I see a signal, but no audio. I am using Audiophile 2496 on
WinXP system. There may be something wrong with the Audiophile
drivers.

No, you need to select xp's own software synth.

When I click on the M-Audio Delta icon at the bottom right
of the screen, it opens but all I see on the input side is 1/2 in and
spdif in and the same for output. When going to sounds and audio
devices properties from the control panel, Delta AP 1/2 is apparent
but no device volume or speaker adjustments are available.

What about the midiman control panel, is it missing? - in this context
(midi) it is kinda irrelevant, but that is were you control the cards built
in hardware mixer.

Audio
shows playback as DeltaAP 1/2, adjustments available, recording as
Delta AP Monitor with NO adjustments available and Delta AP Midi for
midi playback also with NO volume or advanced adjustments available.

The newest driver versions do not seem to allow recording the monitor mixer,
somebody may have leaned on m-audio.

In the Volume Control mixer, only wave, SW synth, and CD player are
present and nothing is muted.

That's about it. I've tried to describe what I'm seeing in the
system. I can play wave files fine as well as just about any other
media type, but not midi files.

All that card does if you send midi to it is to route it to its midi port,
only send midi to it if it has an exterma midi device to pass it on to.

Appreciate any help here. Does anyone think the Audiophile drivers
are improperly installed or is there maybe another problem?

Just use microsofts gs-synth, it is not bad, not at all bad, or any of a
quintozillionn other soft synths out there. Or even another computer with
midi in and audio out, some sound cards are reasonably good synths.

Thanks,
Mick

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mick wrote:
That's about it. I've tried to describe what I'm seeing in the system. I
can play wave files fine as well as just about any other media type, but not
midi files.

Appreciate any help here. Does anyone think the Audiophile drivers are
improperly installed or is there maybe another problem?

MIDI files aren't actually audio, they are just sequences of individual notes.
You need to put the MIDI data into a synthesizer to get audio out.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mick[_2_] Mick[_2_] is offline

Ok, switching the Midi music playback setting in sounds and audio devices
properties from Delta AP Midi (which I thought would work) to Microsoft GS
Wavetable SW Synth seemed to do the trick and now I can hear the Midi files.
I never realized this had to be done as I thought Midi was like any other
media file and would play in my software.

You guys are mentioning "soft synths" for better reproduction of the files
played. Do you have any suggestions? Want something of quality but not too
expensive. I guess what I have will work in a pinch, at least for a while.

Thanks for the help here. I guess I didn't realize Audiophile wouldn't play
back these Midi files.

Well, I'm one step closer to my ultimate goal of somehow changing the
synthesized file creation of the Melodyne DNA wave file into perhaps a Midi
file but replacing the Melodyne instrument (which is not very good) with
some other Midi instrument of choice. So far, I still haven't had much
luck. Intelliscore can convert wave to Midi, but still not close enough for
what I'm looking for. Since I'm only using the Melodyne DNA demo, I don't
know if the saved Midi would be identical to the synthesized wave it creates
or not, but I doubt it. In Melodyne Studio, it definitely isn't and doesn't
come very close to the file I'm trying to emulate as Midi.

Mick

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
Mick wrote:

[...]

Possible to do "What U Hear" recording with M-Audio Audiophile 2496? Doc Pro Audio 8 March 22nd 07 06:25 PM
FA: AUDIOPHILE 2496 David Pro Audio 0 April 8th 05 07:14 PM
How well does "M-Audio Audiophile 2496" work with (EASport) games and movie files?! Charles Franklin Tech 8 April 24th 04 11:19 PM
How well does "M-Audio Audiophile 2496" work with (EASport) gamesand movie files?! Geoff Wood Tech 4 April 24th 04 08:21 AM
Audiophile 2496 Vs. Mia Midi Tom Orgad Pro Audio 5 July 11th 03 12:48 AM