Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Mic Adapters

Most mic adapters and shockmounts include a 3/8" to 5/8"-27 thread adapter. Who
uses a 3/8" mount? I don't think I've even seen one except for a clip that came
with some cheap Sennheiser mics about 30 years go.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

mcp6453 wrote:

Most mic adapters and shockmounts include a 3/8" to 5/8"-27 thread
adapter. Who uses a 3/8" mount? I don't think I've even seen one except
for a clip that came with some cheap Sennheiser mics about 30 years go.

It's a standard type of tripod mount.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

hank alrich wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

Most mic adapters and shockmounts include a 3/8" to 5/8"-27 thread
adapter. Who uses a 3/8" mount? I don't think I've even seen one except
for a clip that came with some cheap Sennheiser mics about 30 years go.

It's a standard type of tripod mount.

Interestingly it's a standard tripod mount in Europe, but it never caught
on here where we use 1/4-20 Whitworth for some weird reason.

I have seen European mike stands that use 3/8" and plenty of old US government
issue stands that used it, but it definitely does not seem popular.

On the other hand, if you need to make something up yourself, the taps and
dies are a lot more common than 5/8-27....
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 2/20/2011 9:22 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Most mic adapters and shockmounts include a 3/8" to 5/8"-27 thread adapter. Who
uses a 3/8" mount? I don't think I've even seen one except for a clip that came
with some cheap Sennheiser mics about 30 years go.

That was the common European standard back when most mics
came from Europe. These days, nearly all studio and live
sound mics use 5/8-27 threaded stand adapters. Most handheld
recorders and some mics designed for use with camcorders use
1/4-20 threads, which is the standard for a camera tripod.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/21/2011 8:38 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
hank alrich wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

Most mic adapters and shockmounts include a 3/8" to 5/8"-27 thread
adapter. Who uses a 3/8" mount? I don't think I've even seen one except
for a clip that came with some cheap Sennheiser mics about 30 years go.

It's a standard type of tripod mount.

Interestingly it's a standard tripod mount in Europe, but it never caught
on here where we use 1/4-20 Whitworth for some weird reason.

I have seen European mike stands that use 3/8" and plenty of old US government
issue stands that used it, but it definitely does not seem popular.

On the other hand, if you need to make something up yourself, the taps and
dies are a lot more common than 5/8-27....
--scott

I save all of the inserts the come with the mics. They are very handy to use for
odd mounting configurations for 5/8-27 as all you need is a 3/8-16 bolt
available from any hardware store. Just this weekend, I bought a Samson SP01
shockmount for my AT2020 and a Samson Q1U dynamic USB mic (as a computer mic).
Both had inserts. The Samson ones are even have flats on them so that they can
REALLY be tightened to a bolt, for example, if necessary.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

hank alrich wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

REALLY be tightened to a bolt, for example, if necessary.- Сакриј наведени екс -

- Прикажи екс између наводника -

I save them, I loose them, but I always have some "electrical", or
packaging tape.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sebastian Z u e n d o r f Sebastian Z u e n d o r f is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

That was the common European standard

^^^^

it still is.

These days, nearly all studio and live
sound mics use 5/8-27 threaded stand adapters.

In the US. Anyway, that's a pain in the neck as it takes you weeks to
get all the clips on stands while it's a matter of seconds with 3/8".

Sebastian

--
Signatur abgelaufen!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sebastian Z u e n d o r f wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

That was the common European standard

^^^^

it still is.

These days, nearly all studio and live
sound mics use 5/8-27 threaded stand adapters.

In the US. Anyway, that's a pain in the neck as it takes you weeks to
get all the clips on stands while it's a matter of seconds with 3/8".

Sebastian

Naah. You loosen the boom shaft or stand shaft, put the clip to the
threads and spin the shaft. Bingo, done deal. Silly people stand there
forever twisting the mic clip round and round...