Posted to rec.audio.tech
bob[_4_] bob[_4_] is offline

Default Sony CD spindle motor ?

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

In article
,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

I've got a 202ES player where the motor does not
reliably start. If it starts, it runs at the correct
speed. Usage was very light.

Nobody fixes CD players any more. You can get a perfectly respectible table
top DVD player that does a good job with CDs for about $60.

The last one I bought was by Pioneer. It loads music and video CDs, DVDs,
and USB flash drives. It has a decent display and separate buttons that both
work all the time, but one set is optimized for CDs and the other is
optimized for playing DVDs. Sounds great!

Wrong again.

you would be surprised. people have older units they like and they do
try to get them fixed.

A lot of times its the belts on the load mech. tray won't go in all the
way and then jams.

Also, laser problems will affect the spindle motor. Since its a servo in
effect, if the laser is not reading right the motor may not spin
properly either.

The first thing is to clean the laser. Taking the cover off the laser if
possible helps. I spray it down with canned air on the top and into the
side to try to get to the mirror inside and the sensor.

They i use optical head cleaner in a can and give it a quick squirt and
lightly brush off the top of the lens with a qtip.
you have to let it dry awhile before you try it.

Its never 100%, but i have brought many back to life by cleaning like this.

Yea, you can buy a POS DVD/CD player with no display for $30 on sale.
you get what you pay for.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.tech
bob[_4_] bob[_4_] is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
[...]

In this case, the problem is clearly with the motor. A slight push with a
finger gets it going, and the player functions normally.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

If the brushes are still intact, i have disconnected the motor from the
driver and gave it full 8 to 12 volts and let it scream away.
If your lucky, it will re-seat the brushes or clean off the commutator.

Its not a high percentage repair, but what do you got to lose?
You might have to jump start it to get it spinning. I usually do
this with a variable supply and ramp up the voltage gradually.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

bob wrote:

you would be surprised. people have older units they like and they do
try to get them fixed.

DVD players usually do not work as nicely for CD's. I mean for FF and
such.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
bob[_4_] bob[_4_] is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"bob" wrote in message ...
Soundhaspriority wrote:

"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Have you ever pulled a spindle? How is it attached?

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

You don't need to pull the spindle to do this. Just remove the wires
from the motor to the control board and hot wire the motor while its
still in place.

Replacing the motor can be a little dicey. Always mark how much of the
shaft sticks out of the clamper so you can duplicate the setting.
if your too high it will rub, too low and the laser won't focus right.
Its a trick to gently pry the spindle off without breaking it or
distorting its dimensions. Its held on by compression only.
I try to use two flat blade screwdrivers and pry from opposite sides if
possible.

On some units, you can buy a complete laser sled with motors aftermarket
if its one of the more common sony ones.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"bob" wrote in message ...

--snippety --

The machine has had practically no use. Have you had any success breaking
armature corrosion by simply letting it play for a protracted period? I can
start it with a finger.

If the problem is a dirty commutator, that might fix it. If the problem
is a bad solder joint where the armature wires are connected to the
commutator segments, it won't. Every time the motor stops with the
"dead" segment under the brush, you'll have to push-start it. Once it's
running, inertia will keep it going and it'll run just fine. Until next
time.

Isaac

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

I've got a 202ES player where the motor does not
reliably start. If it starts, it runs at the correct
speed. Usage was very light.

Nobody fixes CD players any more. You can get a
perfectly respectible table top DVD player that does a
good job with CDs for about $60. The last one I bought was by Pioneer. It
loads music and
video CDs, DVDs, and USB flash drives. It has a decent
display and separate buttons that both work all the
time, but one set is optimized for CDs and the other is
optimized for playing DVDs. Sounds great!

Wrong again.

What's wrong?

Think the Pioneer product doesn't exist?

Think it doesn't sound good?

you would be surprised. people have older units they like
and they do try to get them fixed.

Operative word being "try".

A lot of times its the belts on the load mech. tray won't
go in all the way and then jams.

If it does it once, it will probably do it again, after you fix it.

Also, laser problems will affect the spindle motor. Since
its a servo in effect, if the laser is not reading right
the motor may not spin properly either.

Replacment lasers generally cost more than whole players.

Yea, you can buy a POS DVD/CD player with no display for
$30 on sale. you get what you pay for.

But for $60 you can get one with a nice display. Been there, done that.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
bob[_4_] bob[_4_] is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"bob" wrote in message ...
Soundhaspriority wrote:
"bob" wrote in message ...
Soundhaspriority wrote:

"Soundhaspriority" wrote:
[...]

Right. There is an outfit in Miami, Dalbani, that might stock the motor.
That's why I asked.

by the time you pay minimum order or shipping, its going to be an
expensive motor unless you need other items from them.

Replacing the motor can be a little dicey. Always mark how much of the
shaft sticks out of the clamper so you can duplicate the setting.
if your too high it will rub, too low and the laser won't focus right.
Its a trick to gently pry the spindle off without breaking it or
distorting its dimensions. Its held on by compression only.
I try to use two flat blade screwdrivers and pry from opposite sides if
possible.

On some units, you can buy a complete laser sled with motors aftermarket
if its one of the more common sony ones.

bob

The machine has had practically no use. Have you had any success breaking
armature corrosion by simply letting it play for a protracted period? I can
start it with a finger.

No, the whole idea of cleaning it is with a high speed blast.
normal playing will not do this. Like i said, its a long shot
but possible

bob

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Fred[_8_] Fred[_8_] is offline

Bob, most Sony spindle motors have a pair of slots on the bottom where the brushes are.
Spray a little deoxit D5 in the slots, run the motor for a few seconds in each direction
with a 5 volt power supply, and test - it should start with 1 1/2 volts or less on it. Repeat if
necessary. This fixes about 90% of the no-start problems I encounter. The other 10%
require replacement of the motor, or more commonly the entire mechanism. MCM stocks
the more common Sony mechanisms; some are as cheap as $15. Andrews has all of them
but you may need an account to buy from Andrews - they're an OEM parts distributor for
Sony and a bunch of other companies.

Typically you have to unsolder the spindle motor and sled motor from the board under
them to get at the bottom of the motor to do this procedure. Do NOT unplug the laser from
the board it's plugged into; it can easily be destroyed by static electricity when it's
disconnected. New ones come with a solder bridge to prevent this; only after you connect
the new laser can you safely remove the solder bridge.

Best, Fred

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message ...

"isw" wrote in message ]...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"bob" wrote in message ...

--snippety --

The machine has had practically no use. Have you had any success breaking
armature corrosion by simply letting it play for a protracted period? I can
start it with a finger.

If the problem is a dirty commutator, that might fix it. If the problem
is a bad solder joint where the armature wires are connected to the
commutator segments, it won't. Every time the motor stops with the
"dead" segment under the brush, you'll have to push-start it. Once it's
running, inertia will keep it going and it'll run just fine. Until next
time.

Isaac

Thanks. Have you seen the joint problem?

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Posted to rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"bob" wrote in message ...

--snippety --

The machine has had practically no use. Have you had any success breaking
armature corrosion by simply letting it play for a protracted period? I
can
start it with a finger.

If the problem is a dirty commutator, that might fix it. If the problem
is a bad solder joint where the armature wires are connected to the
commutator segments, it won't. Every time the motor stops with the
"dead" segment under the brush, you'll have to push-start it. Once it's
running, inertia will keep it going and it'll run just fine. Until next
time.

Isaac

Thanks. Have you seen the joint problem?

Yes, but not often on CD spinners. Back in the '60's when we were
rewinding Mabuchi's for slot-cars, now...

Isaac

Sony CD spindle motor ? isw Tech 1 April 21st 09 01:29 AM
Sony CD spindle motor ? Ron[_11_] Tech 2 April 20th 09 03:29 PM
Sony CD spindle motor ? Ron[_11_] Vacuum Tubes 2 April 20th 09 03:29 PM
Sony CD spindle motor ? Gareth Magennis Tech 0 April 20th 09 12:18 PM
FS Teac 3340, 3440 parts, reel table, spindle motor, etc MrMarksMusic Marketplace 0 December 31st 04 07:15 PM