Cosworth

Default Systemdek IIX

I have the opportunity to pick up this turntable for a song, but know little
about it. I looked it over and it seemed in decent shape. I had to
re-route the belt (it had gotten all tangled in the undercarriage), and it
needs a new cartridge, but other than that it's picture perfect. It has an
original tonearm, also Systemdek.

I already have a Thorens TD124 and a B&O table (standard tonearm, not linear
tracking), and I'm sure I'll grab this Systemdek up and listen for myself,
but I'm curious what kind of reputation it has and how i should expect it to
compare with my Thorens.

Thanks,

Bill Balmer
didier gaumet

Hi,

first of all, please excuse my bad english: I'm french :-)

When I purchased my Rega III (RB300 tonearm; about 3500FRF) 18 years ago,
I compared it with :

- a Walker CJ61 (I don't remember tonearm; about 3000FRF)
- a Thorens TD320 (Thorens TP-something tonearm; about 4000FRF)
- a Systemdeck IIX (If I remember well, a Linn basik tonearm; about
4200FRF)

The Thorens TD320 had the best dynamic range but was pretty blurred,
the Rega III was the most fluid and harmony-respectful but with mutchless
dynamic range than the Thorens,
the Systemdeck IIX was the best compromise : almost as fluid as the Rega
and almost as dynamic as the Thorens TD320,
the Walker CJ61 was the worst of the four ones (to be fair, the CJ61 was
cheaper and a CJ58 would have been more apporopriate to compete with the
others)

The current cheaper model of Audionote (TT1) seems to be in straight line
derivated from the Systemdeck IIX.

Didier.

PS : to convert FRF (French Francs) into Euros : divide FRF by 6.55 and to
convert Euros into USD, multiply EUR by 1.25
Philip Procter

Can't tell you how it'll compare to a Thorens, I've never had one of
those. I owned a Systemdek IIx for several years until finally
replacing it with a VPI 19-3.

The SD was a fine machine. Reliable and solid. I never did trust the
glass platten, so I forever played with mats. They all seemed to take
a bit of the ring out, but also lobbed off the top end. Never found a
compromise that I lived with for more than 6 months. Audiophilia
Nerverso! The old Discwasher felt mat was my favorite, until I tried
to clean it up 'real good' in the washing machine. Bad Philip, BAD
Philip!

I liked the arm. I almost kept it when I switched to the VPI.

Do you really listen to the B+O, or just look at it? :-)

Philip

On 14 Aug 2004 00:57:10 GMT, "Cosworth"
wrote:

I have the opportunity to pick up this turntable for a song, but know little
about it. I looked it over and it seemed in decent shape. I had to
re-route the belt (it had gotten all tangled in the undercarriage), and it
needs a new cartridge, but other than that it's picture perfect. It has an
original tonearm, also Systemdek.

I already have a Thorens TD124 and a B&O table (standard tonearm, not linear
tracking), and I'm sure I'll grab this Systemdek up and listen for myself,
but I'm curious what kind of reputation it has and how i should expect it to
compare with my Thorens.

Thanks,

Bill Balmer

Steven Sullivan

Philip Procter wrote:
Can't tell you how it'll compare to a Thorens, I've never had one of
those. I owned a Systemdek IIx for several years until finally
replacing it with a VPI 19-3.

The SD was a fine machine. Reliable and solid. I never did trust the
glass platten, so I forever played with mats. They all seemed to take
a bit of the ring out, but also lobbed off the top end.

How could different mats affect high-frequency response, except for
different thicknesses changing the geometry of the stylus/LP interface?

__
-S.
"We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.
Alarmingly, these girls bore a striking resemblance to Motley Crue." --
David Lee Roth

Harry Lavo

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Philip Procter wrote:
Can't tell you how it'll compare to a Thorens, I've never had one of
those. I owned a Systemdek IIx for several years until finally
replacing it with a VPI 19-3.

The SD was a fine machine. Reliable and solid. I never did trust the
glass platten, so I forever played with mats. They all seemed to take
a bit of the ring out, but also lobbed off the top end.

How could different mats affect high-frequency response, except for
different thicknesses changing the geometry of the stylus/LP interface?

By damping platter resonances or vinyl resonances compared to the stock
platter / mat...the subjective impression can be "no high end". Some
materials also add a "bouncy" sound in the upper bass/lower midrange that
can overwhelm (subjectively at least) the top end.

Back in the late seventies / early eighties there was a fad for changing
turntable mats, and many different varieties / materials were on the market.
A lot depended on the original platter and the interaction with the mat
(which is how manufacturers presumably settled on the stock combination in
the first place). My Thorens TD-160 Super had noticeably less resolution
than my Linn, as well as that "bouncy" quality with the stock mat. A little
experimentation showed that the platter had acoustic breakthrough or ringing
in the lower mid-bass. A thing called the Marcof Glassmat (glass platter
with felt bonded to it) suppressed the bass ringing/breakthrough and
improved the subjective transparency/neutrality of the combination. It
never did match the Linn, however. Whatever anybody says about the Linn, it
sure can "resolve".

Cosworth

"Philip Procter" wrote in message
Can't tell you how it'll compare to a Thorens, I've never had one of
those. I owned a Systemdek IIx for several years until finally
replacing it with a VPI 19-3.

The SD was a fine machine. Reliable and solid. I never did trust the
glass platten, so I forever played with mats. They all seemed to take
a bit of the ring out, but also lobbed off the top end. Never found a
compromise that I lived with for more than 6 months. Audiophilia
Nerverso! The old Discwasher felt mat was my favorite, until I tried
to clean it up 'real good' in the washing machine. Bad Philip, BAD
Philip!

I liked the arm. I almost kept it when I switched to the VPI.

Do you really listen to the B+O, or just look at it? :-)

Oooh - that was a low blow--but insightful! It's actually hooked up to my
home theater system, and you're right, I can't remember the last time I
actually used it.

I got the Systemdek hooked up today, and I'm actually quite impressed with
it. Everyone I've talked to says it's a decent table, but that my Thorens
TD124 should thoroughly stomp it. The truth is, they are very close. That
said, my TD124 undoubtedly suffers from an old, outdated arm, so that
explains that. Still, the Systemdek arrived with an original Blue Point
cartridge with a broken stylus, so I mounted my only extra cart that I had
lying around - an ancient Shure M7-N21D. The fact that the table can sound
good with that old thing makes me consider pulling my AT440ML-C off of the
Thorens and giving it a listen.

I must say, I can't afford a really good arm for the Thorens, so I'm tempted
to put my good cart on the Systemdek and sell the Thorens for some serious
money!

Bill Balmer
imispgh

Cosworth wrote:
I have the opportunity to pick up this turntable for a song, but know little
about it. I looked it over and it seemed in decent shape. I had to
re-route the belt (it had gotten all tangled in the undercarriage), and it
needs a new cartridge, but other than that it's picture perfect. It has an
original tonearm, also Systemdek.

I already have a Thorens TD124 and a B&O table (standard tonearm, not linear
tracking), and I'm sure I'll grab this Systemdek up and listen for myself,
but I'm curious what kind of reputation it has and how i should expect it to
compare with my Thorens.

Thanks,

Bill Balmer

I have had this table for years. I bought it used with a nice soft
rubber mat

Watch out though Systemdek has been out of business for years. I bought
another table without arm for parts - especially the motor.

If you don't score a used motor you will have to buy an Origin Live upgrade