Gary

Default WANTED: Audio Research D-79 Amp

Hi,

I want to buy an Audio Research D-79 amp, either the original or the A (I
believe the A was the original, but I'm not sure - anyway, I want a unit
that uses 12AX7's, not the later B or C units). Please let me know if you
have a functional unit without any mods (I am NOT interested in a unit that
has been modded). Other info requested please: types of tubes, condition
of tubes, box, manual, condition of unit, original owner, smoking or smoke
free home, etc.? It must be in working order. I do NOT want a unit that
needs all new caps (a $2000 repair!). I would like to see pictures if
possible.

Thanks,
Gary

--
*** Remove upper-case letters from email address when responding via email.

Bret Ludwig

I find it very difficult to believe there are $2000 worth of caps in
these amplifiers. Didn't a lot of these things use photoflash caps?

Gary

It's what a friend told me. He happens to own two of them and his best
friend is an ARC tech. I'm not sure how much of it is parts and how much of
it is labor. I'm taking his words for it. You may be right too. I don't
know....

Gary

--
*** Remove upper-case letters from email address when responding via email.
"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...
I find it very difficult to believe there are $2000 worth of caps in
these amplifiers. Didn't a lot of these things use photoflash caps?

Bret Ludwig

If I'm not mistaken there was an article on this amp in Audio Amateur
in the 80's. This one has five 6550's, two per channel and a fifth as a
screen regulator, right?

Bret Ludwig

OK, can you give us some background on this D-79? What tubes besides
12AX7s do later ones use? And why would it cost $2000 to recap it?

I have seen current ARC tube power amps. The power tubes appeared to
be put on PCB mounted sockets, which to me says "St. Louis Music". A
profundly cheap practice.

Kim Johan Andersson

Bret Ludwig wrote:
OK, can you give us some background on this D-79? What tubes besides
12AX7s do later ones use? And why would it cost $2000 to recap it?

Looks like you would get a few caps for your $$$

http://www.arcdb.ws/D79/D79.html

Looks like lots of changes with each revision, in regular ARC fashion.

I have seen current ARC tube power amps. The power tubes appeared to
be put on PCB mounted sockets, which to me says "St. Louis Music". A
profundly cheap practice.

The most recent one I have seen, the VT-100, doesn't display such
malpractice, but doesn't even have separate bias pots for the output
tubes. Also the direct coupling employed means that the operating points
will drift all over the place... but I guess it sounds fine with fresh
tubes

Regards,
Kimjand