Gary Wang

Default Problem running M-Audio Delta 66 card w/Dell 400 SC

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running Cool Edit Pro v. 1.2a on Windows XP Pro with a
new Dell 400SC machine (512MB, PEntium 4 2.8Ghz) with an M-audio
Delta 66 PCI sound card ,and the M-Audio Omni I/O interface. It
seems to work okay for the most part, but anytime I do anything, for
instance bringing up or scrolling down a pull down menu, the sound
gets really garbled. Basically, the problem occurs anytime there is
a fair amount of movement on the screen. The problem is particularly
obvious when I try to play any kind of video file, like an MPEG.
There the video seems fine - but the sound is completely messed up.
The video card is in the first PCI slot, and the M-Audio card
directly under it. I also have a 56K modem in the third slot.

The 400SC comes installed with a PCI video card. I'm thinking that
having both devices on the PCI bus is somehow overloading it, but
honestly this is just a guess on my part, though. I know the Delta
66 card works, because I tested it on my other machine, an old 366MHz
Compaq, and it works fine. Does anyone here have any experience with
this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary
Bill Ruys

PCI video is very bad for audio!!!

Video tends to use a lot of traffic. Unfortunately, a lot of video drivers
lock the PCI bus because they don't check buffer states before putting data
onto the bus. This causes lots of PCI lockouts and audio suffers big time.

Getting audio to work well on the PC platform was always a difficult task.
Then AGP came along and all our problems were solved. The AGP bus is fully
independant of the PCI bus, so the PCI bus is no longer saturated with video
data.

It's pretty rare for people to use PCI video cards these days. Why did you
go PCI? The fix is to switch to an AGP card. Believe me, I've been through
this with Delta cards before. They are particularly susceptable to PCI
video cards screwing them up.

Bill Ruys.

"Gary Wang" wrote in message
9.130...
[...]

Arny Krueger

"Gary Wang" wrote in message
9.130

[...]

Have you checked the video card driver options relating to video
acceleration, and experimented with turning them off?