Brian

Default MP3 Storage Device, not in-dash

Please accept my apology if this has been asked a thousand times before...

I'm buying a new 2004 Chevy Colorado this week. Base model, basic AM/FM
radio (no CD).

I've got a medium-sized collection of MP3's that I listen to freqently at
home. I'd like to put something in my new truck so I can listen to them in
there as well.

I don't want something in-dash; I'd like to keep the stock stereo. I'm
thinking a hard-drive type storage unit that plays thru the FM
band--something I could stick behind the seat.

I've searched the net a bit and I've only come up with two options to
date--Kenwood's Music Keg and another called MuzicVault. Surely there are
quite a few other options as well, but I'm not getting good results in my
searches.

Are there indeed other options out there... could you guys name a few so I
could research them? I'm not looking for an incredible amount of storage or
a bunch of features--something basic and relatively inexpensive is fine. I
can get a Music Keg on eBay for under $200 new.

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Brian

Jay Chan

I've got a medium-sized collection of MP3's that I listen to freqently at
home. I'd like to put something in my new truck so I can listen to them in
there as well.

I don't want something in-dash; I'd like to keep the stock stereo. I'm
thinking a hard-drive type storage unit that plays thru the FM
band--something I could stick behind the seat.
Are there indeed other options out there... could you guys name a few so I
could research them? I'm not looking for an incredible amount of storage or
a bunch of features--something basic and relatively inexpensive is fine. I
can get a Music Keg on eBay for under $200 new.

My co-worker has a very low cost alternative:
He uses a portable CD-player that can read CD/CD-R/CD-RW and MP3
files. And connect its headphone jack with a FM-transmitter that
communicate with the car radio. The portable CD-player is around $25
to $60 (depending on the branch), and the FM-transmitter is from $20
to $30. For well below $100, you get a portable unit that you can
transfer to another car easily. You need a car-power adapter or some
rechargeable batteries though.
The catch is that the LCD screen in any CD-player is going to be
very small. I am not sure if this will become a problem in term of
navigating the MP3 folders in a CD.
The other thing is that I come across an article in one of the iPod
web site that claims that using FM transmitter to send audio is not
the best way; it suggests to use direct line-in if it is available.
This is not important to me because I am not likely to be able to tell
the difference. But you may or may not like this.

I am also in the process of finding a way to play MP3 in my car radio.
I probably go for this low cost solution because iPod is very
expensive (iPod is supposed to be the best in those MP3 players that
have hard-disk), and I am afraid that someone may come with a MP3
player that has a hard disk and PDA functionality and render all the
single function expensive MP3 player obsoleted. Actually, I am going
to buy this right after work today!

Jay Chan