A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter.com

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter.com forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Not Loudness Wars, but Softness Wars



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 23rd 15, 12:56 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,052
Default Not Loudness Wars, but Softness Wars

Many a CD I have is just too low in volume. Lots of these, though the content is great, the volume is just too low. And, no, turning up the volume doesn't help.
Not sure what was used to gauge amplitude on CD. This is from an MCA Vintage Music Series CD, Mastered by Steve Hoffman...

1965 - The Spokesmen - Dawn of Correction (stereo)

The initial waveform:
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/dawn-b.jpg
The initial audio:
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/images/dawn-b.mp3
Modified audio:
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...rrection-s.mp3

Actually, I never got to hear this song on radio, it is one of those "answer" songs. Sadly, (member) John Madara reissued the album, on CD, in monophonic.

Jack
Ads
  #2  
Old March 23rd 15, 01:28 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,729
Default Not Loudness Wars, but Softness Wars

You can probably make that loud enough without having
to clip any of the peaks.
  #3  
Old March 23rd 15, 01:56 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,052
Default Not Loudness Wars, but Softness Wars

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 9:28:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> You can probably make that loud enough without having
> to clip any of the peaks.


No peaks trimmed, just a dynamic boost and volume increase. Trust me, you have to struggle to get these to sound decent. And if these sound so good, maybe you can explain why they are sold so cheaply? I mean, after all, this is Steve Hoffman's mastering - should satisfy every audiophile in the world!!

Jack
  #4  
Old March 23rd 15, 02:03 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default Not Loudness Wars, but Softness Wars

JackA > wrote:
> Many a CD I have is just too low in volume. Lots of these, though the
> content is great, the volume is just too low. And, no, turning up the volume doesn't help.
> Not sure what was used to gauge amplitude on CD. This is from an MCA
> Vintage Music Series CD, Mastered by Steve Hoffman...
>
> 1965 - The Spokesmen - Dawn of Correction (stereo)
>
> The initial waveform:
> http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/dawn-b.jpg
> The initial audio:
> http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/images/dawn-b.mp3
> Modified audio:
> http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...rrection-s.mp3
>
> Actually, I never got to hear this song on radio, it is one of those
> "answer" songs. Sadly, (member) John Madara reissued the album, on CD, in monophonic.
>
> Jack


Trying to alienate the one person left on this NG that's still paying
attention to you, I assume?
  #5  
Old March 23rd 15, 07:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,625
Default Not Loudness Wars, but Softness Wars

On 23/03/2015 2:28 p.m., wrote:
> You can probably make that loud enough without having
> to clip any of the peaks.
>



And you can add significant amounts of compression, even
hyper-compression, without "clipping the peaks".

geoff
  #7  
Old March 23rd 15, 02:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,729
Default Not Loudness Wars, but Softness Wars

3:17 AM geoff wrote"
On 23/03/2015 2:28 p.m., wrote:
> You can probably make that loud enough without having
> to clip any of the peaks.
>



And you can add significant amounts of compression, even
hyper-compression, without "clipping the peaks".

geoff "


But why would one want to? The appropriate processing,
as determined back when it was made, was already done.
  #8  
Old March 23rd 15, 03:54 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,710
Default Not Loudness Wars, but Softness Wars

> wrote:
>3:17 AM geoff wrote"
>On 23/03/2015 2:28 p.m., wrote:
>> You can probably make that loud enough without having
>> to clip any of the peaks.

>
>And you can add significant amounts of compression, even
>hyper-compression, without "clipping the peaks".
>
>But why would one want to? The appropriate processing,
>as determined back when it was made, was already done.


Well, for example, if you're a classical radio station. You have source
material with very wide range, and you have listeners who are mostly in
the car who can't benefit from that wide range. So you need to reduce it,
but you need to do it with a slow AGC-style compressor (or with manual
gain riding) in an inoffensive manner. You can actually crush it pretty
far without any real artifacts because you're starting with something that
is so dynamic to begin with, but you have to do it slowly and in a couple
different stages.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #9  
Old March 23rd 15, 06:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,729
Default Not Loudness Wars, but Softness Wars

Scott Dorsey:

If it's a radio station doing it that's one thing.
I'm talking about not doing it to the actual
album or songs.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loudness Wars Tobiah Pro Audio 41 February 6th 15 03:55 PM
Loudness Wars [email protected] Pro Audio 1 February 4th 15 08:45 PM
Yet another take on the loudness wars jwvm Pro Audio 26 January 7th 08 03:35 PM
loudness wars! jwvm High End Audio 0 June 29th 07 11:48 PM
Clients and The Loudness Wars Chevdo Pro Audio 0 June 22nd 06 09:49 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AudioBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.