Steve Grauman

Default "Bright" Dynaudios?

I recently had a Dynaudio System 240 MKII installed into my 2002 Volkswagen
GTi. The tweets are in the factory locations (sail panels mounted in the
A-pillars) as are the mid-bass speakers (the lower door). I've tried playing
with the EQ in my Eclipse CD8443 headunit, but I can't seem to remove a
"ringing brightness" from the tweeters on certain albums. Most of Joe Satrini's
albums sound good, as did the various Jazz albums I tested. But testing with
Joe Satriani's "Engines of Creation" as well as several albums by the Stone
Temple Pilots, No Doubt, and The Smashing Pumpkins, the system exhibits a
brightness and ringing that're very annoying and detracting. Does anyone have
any reccomendations on how to fix this problem? These speakers should be far
more neutral.

Steve Grauman

Same car here but I use the 240 GT dyns. Try putting yout tweets on
the -2db setting of the passive xovers that come with the speakers. That
fixed it for me.

Already did it. It helped, but did not totally rectify the problem.
Z. Gluhak

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
Same car here but I use the 240 GT dyns. Try putting yout tweets on
the -2db setting of the passive xovers that come with the speakers. That
fixed it for me.

Already did it. It helped, but did not totally rectify the problem.

It still happens on some cds in my system, like cranberries, live and other
similar music. Miles Davis recorded back in the 50s sounds terrific. So
does harry connick jr.

i just avoid the crappy cds. what else can you do?

Steve Grauman

It still happens on some cds in my system, like cranberries, live and other
similar music. Miles Davis recorded back in the 50s sounds terrific. So
does harry connick jr.

Yea, it's interesting. With 3 out of 4 Joe Satriani CDs it sounds fine, same
with Eric Johnson's "Venus Isle" and selected Jazz tracks from the likes of Taj
Mahal. But with Live, The Smashing Pumpkins and No Doubt, it sounds bright.
Conversly, with Ozzy Ozbourne and Stone Temple Pilots, the high end ringing
goes away, but it sounds "muddier".

jpswanberg

certain albums are recorded "hot" with high levels of compression to
sound good on "boom boxes", fm radio and other low rez media. it
doesn't matter what you do to to some music, it still sounds awful.
check out any of the audiophile websites for what they consider well
recorded music. the only problem with well recorded music is that it
most often isn't popular music. one thing you can try with the
dynaudio md100's is to move them to the kickpanel to get them off axis
a bit. i am surprised that you find them bright, as i have found them
much more mellow than similar priced aluminum dome tweeters. however,
only your ears matter to you. you may want to try a tube amp for a
more laid back and harmonically rich sound. peace, jps

--
jpswanberg

MZ

Hey wait...haven't I suggested biamping to you before?

Or even better, weren't you considering an in-dash EQ for a while?

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

[...]

Steve Grauman

Hey wait...haven't I suggested biamping to you before?

LOL. You may have, I honestly don't remember. I may eventually move the Zapco
I've got down to just the mids and buy a 2nd amp for the tweets for bi-amping.
At the moment, I'm kinda out of money. Remind me again what benefits will come
of bi-amping?

Or even better, weren't you considering an in-dash EQ for a while?

I've thought about it. But no one has ever been able to clarify for me what an
outboard unit will do that my deck will not. The Eclipse I'm using has full EQ
defeat, so if I found a good enough reason to do so, I could defeat the deck's
EQ and let an outboard do the work.
MZ

Hey wait...haven't I suggested biamping to you before?

LOL. You may have, I honestly don't remember. I may eventually move the

Zapco
I've got down to just the mids and buy a 2nd amp for the tweets for

bi-amping.
At the moment, I'm kinda out of money. Remind me again what benefits will

come
of bi-amping?

Level control and crossover control. Both could help you adjust things to
your taste.

Or even better, weren't you considering an in-dash EQ for a while?

I've thought about it. But no one has ever been able to clarify for me

what an
outboard unit will do that my deck will not. The Eclipse I'm using has

full EQ
defeat, so if I found a good enough reason to do so, I could defeat the

deck's
EQ and let an outboard do the work.

An in-dash EQ can give you 10 bands of adjustment.

Steve Grauman

An in-dash EQ can give you 10 bands of adjustment.

What kind? In "Simple" mode, my CD8443 has a 13 band graphic EQ with a 1 band
parametric and 2-way crossover adjustment. In "Pro" mode, I get a 5 band
parametric EQ with 3 way crossover adjustment. Also, is there a specific
outboard EQ you would unanimously reccomend?

Dave

You might also (finally) be hearing the music the way it sounds. When you
get a set of speakers as revealing as the Dyns, you'll start to appreciate
your good, well recorded and well mastered CD's. The ones that were crappy
or at least borderline will now make your ears bleed.

dave

[...]

thelizman

Dave wrote:
You might also (finally) be hearing the music the way it sounds. When you
get a set of speakers as revealing as the Dyns, you'll start to appreciate
your good, well recorded and well mastered CD's. The ones that were crappy
or at least borderline will now make your ears bleed.

Which is 90% of the CDs on the market. I love those Mapleshade/Wildchild
cd's for their clarity, I just wish the music wasn't so lame all the time.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

teamROCS Car Audio Forums
http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
Z. Gluhak

Which is 90% of the CDs on the market. I love those Mapleshade/Wildchild
cd's for their clarity, I just wish the music wasn't so lame all the time.

yeah ain't that the truth. the cranberries my wife likes make me want to
vomit on my dnys. It's like slow death with screaming tortured cats.

Dave

Liz (and everybody),
I've gotten hooked on this site:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 (direct link into the
Music area). Steve Hoffman is a very cool guy who is a Mastering Engineer.
He will personally answer whatever questions you might have as to why most
CD's today sound like such utter crap and what he does to avoid this mess.
This forum has nothing but music lovers in it and the amount of info there
is amazing. Steve's remastering work on classic rock, jazz and pop stuff is
ear-opening. I've bought WAY too many CD's that bring a tear to my ear every
time I try to listen to them. Once you go through his discography page (same
site), you will start combing through your local used CD store with a whole
new perspective.

dave

"thelizman" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
[...]

thelizman

Dave wrote:
Liz (and everybody),
I've gotten hooked on this site:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 (direct link into the
Music area).

I'll check it out, though I don't have alot of time for yet another
forum. Wow..THE Steve Hoffman. How many times did I see that on a CD.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

teamROCS Car Audio Forums
http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
Z. Gluhak

"Dave" wrote in message
You might also (finally) be hearing the music the way it sounds. When you
get a set of speakers as revealing as the Dyns, you'll start to appreciate
your good, well recorded and well mastered CD's. The ones that were crappy
or at least borderline will now make your ears bleed.

dave

Everytime I think it's my system I throw in my old 1998 Iasca competition
cd. sounds great. then i get ****ed off because so many cds sound awful.
my wife just bought the new norah jones and while the clarity isn't bad
there is so much noise in the background it's like listening to a tape with
dolby turned off.

Tony Fernandes

Steve,

Why don't you try a different tweeter mounting location? I have never
personally cared for having the tweeter that far away from the mids and/or
that close to my ears without being severely muted.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"Z. Gluhak" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
You might also (finally) be hearing the music the way it sounds. When

you
get a set of speakers as revealing as the Dyns, you'll start to

appreciate
your good, well recorded and well mastered CD's. The ones that were

crappy
or at least borderline will now make your ears bleed.

dave

Everytime I think it's my system I throw in my old 1998 Iasca competition
cd. sounds great. then i get ****ed off because so many cds sound awful.
my wife just bought the new norah jones and while the clarity isn't bad
there is so much noise in the background it's like listening to a tape

with
dolby turned off.

Steve Grauman

Why don't you try a different tweeter mounting location?

I've got nowhere else to put them with serious modification to the interior of
my car.

Z. Gluhak

We have the exact same car - I put them in the same place as you and it was
a pain since they are fat! If you have your mids in the doors why couldn't
you build little fiberglass pods an make "mini kick panels" by just adding
them next to, not cutting factory kicks? I don't know how much dif this
would really make - they are not firing directly at your ears, if you put
them in the kicks they are farther away but fire right at you.

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
Why don't you try a different tweeter mounting location?

I've got nowhere else to put them with serious modification to the

interior of
my car.

Tony Fernandes

--

Steve Grauman wrote: "I've got nowhere else to put them with serious
modification to the interior of my car."

I used to have a Honda Prelude that I mounted the tweeters behind the stock
speaker grill low on the door. I was able to use metal strips (strips of
metal with large round holes in it) and position the tweeters centered over
the woofers behind the grill (kind of like a homemade coaxial). It worked
out quite nicely. Is this an option for you? Is there enough room behind
the grill? Even if you mounted the tweeter beside the woofer?