Steve Jorgensen

Default Topic Police

I'm not a huge participant around here, but I think I speak for a lot of us
when I say - give it a damn rest already.

If you like arguing politics, there are many good newsgroups to do it in. I
know artistic types tend to be opinionated, and can't resist a little
politicalizing amongst others of similar creative interest, but when we have
OT forks back to the root from threads that were off topic to begin with,
things are more than a little out of hand.

Sorry if I'm out of place, being an irregular here and all - just my 2c.
Kendall

"Steve Jorgensen" wrote in message
I'm not a huge participant around here, but I think I speak for a lot of

us
when I say - give it a damn rest already.

Agreed.

If you like arguing politics, there are many good newsgroups to do it in.

know artistic types tend to be opinionated, and can't resist a little
politicalizing amongst others of similar creative interest, but when we

have
OT forks back to the root from threads that were off topic to begin with,
things are more than a little out of hand.

Hear, hear!

Sorry if I'm out of place, being an irregular here and all - just my 2c.

Not at all.

Kendall

Arny Krueger

"Steve Jorgensen" wrote in message

I'm not a huge participant around here, but I think I speak for a lot
of us when I say - give it a damn rest already.

If you like arguing politics, there are many good newsgroups to do it
in. I know artistic types tend to be opinionated, and can't resist a
little politicalizing amongst others of similar creative interest,
but when we have OT forks back to the root from threads that were off
topic to begin with, things are more than a little out of hand.

Sorry if I'm out of place, being an irregular here and all - just my
2c.

A rough count of new posts overnight, shows that about 3/4 of them are OT.
In short, the topic of this NG has lost its interest to the people making
most of the posts.

All the OT posts makes it far more difficult to find the posts that are on
topic.

In Outlook express there is a command call "catch up". It marks all unread
posts as being read.

I just read the posts in the on topic threads, and use 'catch up" to mark
the OT posts as being read.

EricK

OffTopicMan wrote:
I notice it only becomes a big problem when a pro-conservative point of view is
put forth, backed up by facts.

No it annoys the **** out of me whenever it's political. If it's not
audio related, it has no point here.

Somehow or another, it seems to be okay to post anti-Bush **** in this
newsgroup, though.

Uhm, no, "anti-Bush ****" is not okay either. Go away.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

Scott Dorsey

Michael wrote:
The underlying reason, I think, is because the internet demographic
is rapidly changing. Back when Gabe was with us, most of the
usenet population was students and professionals who were excited
to find a forum where they could discuss their favourite subjects
with like-minded individuals. Now, bloody EVERYONE has access,
and the lowest common denominator has taken over, forcing those
who wish to discuss related subject matter to look elsewhere
(since it's not in person, so you can't bop them over the head
with a frying pan).

Yeah, but that change took place around 1996, the Era of the Eternal
September.

It's a shame; usenet was a great idea, and a potentially very
useful resource.

Is still could be.
Don Cooper

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Yeah, but that change took place around 1996, the Era of the Eternal
September.

What happened then Scott? I'm not familiar with the term.

Don

Don Cooper

To Whom:

How does one apply for the Topic Policeman job?

How is the pay, compared to other police jobs?

Also, many of my responses to Will brought it back to the actual job -
audio and broadcasting in general.

Don
Scott Dorsey

Don Cooper wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Yeah, but that change took place around 1996, the Era of the Eternal
September.

What happened then Scott? I'm not familiar with the term.

Usenet went to hell, because everybody and his brother discovered the web
and decided they really needed internet access.

In the eighties and nineties, there would be a huge influx of clueless bozos
on Usenet every September, when the new Freshman classes came in and
discovered the net. When the whole thing was opened up in the late nineties,
it was like a September that never ended.

Steve Jorgensen

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:37:12 -0400, Don Cooper
wrote:

To Whom:

How does one apply for the Topic Policeman job?

It's a volunteer position. Everyone is accepted, but TPs can flame other TPs.

How is the pay, compared to other police jobs?

About the same as the job of answering questions on Usenet.

Also, many of my responses to Will brought it back to the actual job -
audio and broadcasting in general.

Sounds like greate subtle TPing if you can stand the OT far enough to find a
spot to bring it back on topic.

Don

And, to "TP" this thread - let's not add to the OT message volume by keeping
it alive any further .
5016

From: Steve Jorgensen
am
Date: 7/1/2004 1:04 AM Central Daylight Time
I'm not a huge participant around here, but I think I speak for a lot of us
when I say - give it a damn rest already.

If you like arguing politics, there are many good newsgroups to do it in. I
know artistic types tend to be opinionated, and can't resist a little
politicalizing amongst others of similar creative interest, but when we have
OT forks back to the root from threads that were off topic to begin with,
things are more than a little out of hand.

Sorry if I'm out of place, being an irregular here and all - just my 2c.

I notice it only becomes a big problem when a pro-conservative point of view is
put forth, backed up by facts. That's when the loonies really trip over
themselves to not address the facts and start attacking the messenger. My
"Michael Moore Hates America" thread is a perfect example of this.

I didn't look at "your" thread, but I guess you are saying that you
started a thread called "Michael Moore Hates America", and you are now
complaining that people responded to it? You carry out an obvious
troll, with an obvious troll-name, and then complain about responses?

Somehow or another, it seems to be okay to post anti-Bush **** in this
newsgroup, though. It's like watching a bunch of little girls on the playground
ganging up on one girl they don't like. Yes, this is a newsgroup of
professionals alright.

Why would someone be more professional because they are right-wing
than because they are left-wing? The music industry, and all arts
industries, are more left-wing than they are right, just like
accountancy firms are more right-wing. That doesn't make them more (or
less) professional.

I am somewhat surprised that people who wanted a career in audio would
spout their right-wing rhetoric constantly. Spouting any kind of
rhetoric constantly makes you less likely to be hired (I don't think
that either Will Miho or Roger Norman are getting hired by, say, CBS,
anytime soon) but spouting right wing rhetoric is probably worse for a
career in the audio industry. Anyone who thinks about it realizes that
offending the 80% of people in the music industry who are left-wing is
not a good thing if that is where you want to spend your career.
People expect you to have your own views, but not to ram them down
everybody else's throat. Look how quick Fletcher was to qualify his
views after saying that he was a Republican.

I wouldn't pass any business to one of the right-wing trolls in this
group. Quite apart from anything else, they seem like hateful people,
and they don't have much to do at work. This applies to the trolls
like yourself and Will, not to right-wingers in general.

Dorsey and Rivers are two I rarely, if ever see participating in those threads.

They both have real jobs in audio, and write for magazines, and it is
not in their interest to offend sections of the industry. Miho works
for Fox News, who would be OK with the content of his posts (well,
maybe not, if they knew that he had time to make 304 posts last June.
couldn't they apply the free market and find someone who didn't make
15 bull**** posts every working day?), and you don't have a real job,
so have nothing to be concerned about.

Roger W. Norman

Steve Jorgensen" wrote in message
... I'm not a huge
participant around here, but I think I speak for a lot of us
when I say - give it a damn rest already.

It has nothing to do with artistic types being opinionated, because everyone
is opinionated in some subject.

The point is that over the past 3+ years we've all be lambasted with such
things as the Dixie Chicks being the next Beatles because they disavowed a
love for Bush. If you want to end the off topic conversations here, then
help get rid of Bush in the next election, if you can.

To say that these discussions are "off topic" is true, in the broadest sense
of the word, but not true when it comes down to how the events of the last 3
years have eaten us all a new asshole, and since there's no sphinctoid
muscle, all the **** comes pouring out.

Daily we are inundated with the most appalling hyperbole from both sides,
but the majority of it comes from the fact that something CAN be said
against this administration's behavior and our place in the world, and our
frineds and family dying in another country across the world. If these
things don't affect you, then you are all the better for it, but don't try
to make it a requirement that I go to some other newsgroup simply to argue
points. We don't do that here. We argue amongst our brethern of the audio
art, and that makes a difference.

And no, you're not being out of place. I'm just adding my own $.02.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"
If you like arguing politics, there are many good newsgroups to do it in.

know artistic types tend to be opinionated, and can't resist a little
politicalizing amongst others of similar creative interest, but when we

have
OT forks back to the root from threads that were off topic to begin with,
things are more than a little out of hand.

Sorry if I'm out of place, being an irregular here and all - just my 2c.

George

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

Steve Jorgensen" wrote in message
... I'm not a huge
participant around here, but I think I speak for a lot of us
when I say - give it a damn rest already.

It has nothing to do with artistic types being opinionated, because everyone
is opinionated in some subject.

The point is that over the past 3+ years we've all be lambasted with such
things as the Dixie Chicks being the next Beatles because they disavowed a
love for Bush. If you want to end the off topic conversations here, then
help get rid of Bush in the next election, if you can.

Unfortunatly I honestly believe GW is going to continue on as the
president
He has promised nothing will stop him from his second term
and I believe him
George
Roger W. Norman

OK, let's talk about the state of audio recording these days, or more
specifically, what YOU might find to be acceptable to discuss. Or might I
offer some topics?

How about:

Your studio and the changing audio environment.

How many dollars do you spend to make pennies?

Is 24 bit/192 kHz enough or is there some true "analog" sound out there in
digital?

What NOT to buy. (This one is based on a Christmas time documentary to
children about how marketing people appeal to the baser instincts of even
little children, like making Ice Cream look great when it's actually Elmer's
****ing glue as the syrup, etc).

The case for watermarking.

The case against watermarking.

The case for new formats.

The case against new formats.

Setting an audio equipment budget.

Setting realistic requirements that fit within your budget.

Knowing what requirements actually are.

Cables with signal flow arrows on them and their value in dollars.

Rudy Van Gelder's accomplishments vs his equipment limitations.

Joe Meek's accomplishments vs his equipment limitations.

The near weekly RIP thread. You may either talk about those that have
passed, or speculate upon that will soon pass, or even set up a pool.

Microphones under $200 and their real world benefits.

Microphones over $200 and their real world benefits.

Digital, tape, or digital tape?

Which hard drives work best for recording audio?

Pros and cons of computer DAWS. This topic includes CPU speed,
hyperthreading, chipsets, amount of memory, hard drives and the interface,
audio interfi and software. Or you could break it down if you'd like.

Audio restoration of inaudible recordings. Or audio restorations of audio
that shouldn't be restored. Or audio restorations of audio that should be
restored and which of the numerous apps should one use.

DAW software, it's costs, it's inherent problems, and the audio interfi that
make each application and cpu combination a horse of a different color.

What are AES and IEC specs, and where can one download them without costs?

Where can one download a set of tracks from some major artists so that
mixing can be practiced?

What's the difference between +4 dBm and -10 dBv, or did I get that wrong
and why?

Monitors under $200 and their real world benefits.

Monitors over $200 and their real world benefits.

Should I go on or shoud I simply place my hands behind my back awaiting the
inevitable locking of handcuffs for typing too much?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Steve Jorgensen" wrote in message
I'm not a huge participant around here, but I think I speak for a lot of

us
when I say - give it a damn rest already.

If you like arguing politics, there are many good newsgroups to do it in.

know artistic types tend to be opinionated, and can't resist a little
politicalizing amongst others of similar creative interest, but when we

have
OT forks back to the root from threads that were off topic to begin with,
things are more than a little out of hand.

Sorry if I'm out of place, being an irregular here and all - just my 2c.

Roger W. Norman

And I only have me to contend with as far as my diatribes and my heart.
Somehow, I don't feel like I've been a negative, but then again, I'm not in
a position to judge.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"5016" wrote in message
om...

Roger W. Norman

That was the "if you can" statement.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"George" wrote in message
"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

[...]

Don Cooper

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

And then it became the Christmas debacle because 15 year olds with a new
computer and a boom box suddenly would inhabit this newsgroup with an
attitude and nearly zip in knowledge other than to press play.

It's fun, though. I love quotes like,
"If you can't boot up a computer, then you shouldn't be recording."

Don
Roger W. Norman

And then it became the Christmas debacle because 15 year olds with a new
computer and a boom box suddenly would inhabit this newsgroup with an
attitude and nearly zip in knowledge other than to press play.

What goes around comes around. What's new? g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Don Cooper wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Yeah, but that change took place around 1996, the Era of the Eternal
September.

What happened then Scott? I'm not familiar with the term.

Usenet went to hell, because everybody and his brother discovered the web
and decided they really needed internet access.

In the eighties and nineties, there would be a huge influx of clueless

bozos
on Usenet every September, when the new Freshman classes came in and
discovered the net. When the whole thing was opened up in the late

nineties,
it was like a September that never ended.

Roger W. Norman

Yeah, but a lot of people were up in guns about Fletcher's Flame-O-Matic
2000, too. Personally I say a lessoned learned the hard way is a lesson
learned. DrummerDave ought to keep that in mind before he publically states
he's leaving the group.

Or, to be honest, I should keep that in mind before I state the same thing.

See, lessons for everyone! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Don Cooper" wrote in message

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

And then it became the Christmas debacle because 15 year olds with a new
computer and a boom box suddenly would inhabit this newsgroup with an
attitude and nearly zip in knowledge other than to press play.

It's fun, though. I love quotes like,
"If you can't boot up a computer, then you shouldn't be recording."

Don

Don Cooper

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

Or, to be honest, I should keep that in mind before I state the same thing.

See, lessons for everyone! g

"You can check out anytime you like,
But you can never leave."

Don
transducr

Don Cooper wrote in message ...
To Whom:

How does one apply for the Topic Policeman job?

How is the pay, compared to other police jobs?

Also, many of my responses to Will brought it back to the actual job -
audio and broadcasting in general.

Don

my favorite part about the original "Topic Police" thread is that it
was derailed off of it's own topic within the first five posts and
commandeered (sp?) into a vehicle for repeating and enflaming the same
conversations that are in all the OT posts...under the guise of
agreement that there should be less off-topic posts, of course!

paul

Bingo. If you want to see what a NG is when it turns to political BS, try
out alt.guitar.amps for a while. It is a perfect example of what happens
without a little self control. I know, I've been guilty of falling into it
myself, but this NG is doomed to end up like alt.guitar.amps at this rate.

paul

"Steve Jorgensen" wrote in message
I'm not a huge participant around here, but I think I speak for a lot of

us
when I say - give it a damn rest already.

If you like arguing politics, there are many good newsgroups to do it in.

know artistic types tend to be opinionated, and can't resist a little
politicalizing amongst others of similar creative interest, but when we

have
OT forks back to the root from threads that were off topic to begin with,
things are more than a little out of hand.

Sorry if I'm out of place, being an irregular here and all - just my 2c.

paul

Should I go on or shoud I simply place my hands behind my back awaiting
the
inevitable locking of handcuffs for typing too much?

The penalty is not arrest. the penalty is that rec.audio.pro ends up like
alt.guitar.amps. Go take a look. That and perhaps being the last loser out
the door

paul

Per Karlsson

Steve Jorgensen urged
give it a damn rest already.

I made my first off-topic post to RAP almost exactly a year ago, and I
ended it:
"I can't believe I responded to a political thread on RAP. I must
remember not to make any decisions of significance today."
Since then my ratio of off-topic posts have grown steadily, and I have
not thought it inappropriate. But considering the over all ratio of
off-topic posts lately, I'm beginning to think otherwise.
Roger W. Norman

Yeah, but at least people know my full name and have some knowledge of me
since a number of us have worked together over the years.

What's garbage, Paul, is just being Paul and lambasting me for my considered
opinions. The other shoe is that you took the opportunity to get after me,
without, yourself, adding anything to the audio aspect of the group.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"paul" wrote in message
[...]

Roger W. Norman

No, the penalty is that everyone understands who is saying what and how it
effects them, not some lame idea that one group isn't any better than
another. Right now it seems that a lot of RAP members have something to say
on the issues. When it comes down to having something to say on other
issues, believe me, we will. What's more important? Finding another 1.5 dB
of volume with a certain mic pre/compressor/EQ unit, or simply finding out
what your thoughts are in comparison to others in terms of what's happening
in the world. If we, as creative people, simply give up the concept of
having something to say, then Bob Dylan wouldn't have been so instrumental
in today's world, both in music and in life.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"paul" wrote in message
Should I go on or shoud I simply place my hands behind my back awaiting

the
inevitable locking of handcuffs for typing too much?

The penalty is not arrest. the penalty is that rec.audio.pro ends up like
alt.guitar.amps. Go take a look. That and perhaps being the last loser out
the door

paul

Don Cooper

paul wrote:

**** it, one more dead newsgroup. Go look at alt.guitar.amps for the future
of this group.

We'll always have Google!

Don

Ty Ford

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:37:12 -0400, Don Cooper wrote
(in article ):

To Whom:

How does one apply for the Topic Policeman job?

How is the pay, compared to other police jobs?

Also, many of my responses to Will brought it back to the actual job -
audio and broadcasting in general.

Don

Dear DOn,

Like a Clint Eastwood movie, it's a job no one wants. I do it from time to
time, but most of the transgressors think the newsgroup is their personal
****ing hole.

If you figure out how to encourage them that there's life that's not attached
to their keyboards, or that they are violating the rules of the newsgroup, or
that they are abusing the rest of us with their mostly vacuous tripe, be my
guest.

Nobody promised the internet would be smart. It has become the CB radio of
the new millennia. The few who try to do some good constantly have to step
over increasingly larger piles of ordure from those misguided souls who think
it's their God given right to spew where ever they please.

Sort of like the crazy old uncle you have to pull back in the house because
he's out on the ****ing lawn again with his bathrobe open, banging a pot with
a wooden spoon to chase away the imaginary harpies.

It's really quite amazing how inconsiderate people can be. Take Roger for
example.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford

Ty Ford

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 19:55:06 -0400, Roger W. Norman wrote
(in article ):

No, the penalty is that everyone understands who is saying what and how it
effects them, not some lame idea that one group isn't any better than
another. Right now it seems that a lot of RAP members have something to say
on the issues. When it comes down to having something to say on other
issues, believe me, we will. What's more important? Finding another 1.5 dB
of volume with a certain mic pre/compressor/EQ unit, or simply finding out
what your thoughts are in comparison to others in terms of what's happening
in the world. If we, as creative people, simply give up the concept of
having something to say, then Bob Dylan wouldn't have been so instrumental
in today's world, both in music and in life.

Hey Roger,

As one of he worst abusers of RAP, why don't you at least try posting some
NEW argument for your denial. You already used this one. You could at least
be creative or entertaining.

Regards,

Ty

stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford

Chris Hornbeck

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:40:37 -0700, "paul"
wrote:

But whatever.

It's nut cuttin' time and offenses will be taken.

But a decent newsreader will allow a single keystroke to silence
a whole thread. In Agent it's "i". I use it a lot; beats
somebody else's censorship.

Wishin' and hopin' and plannin' and dreamin' won't help.
We're in interesting times. And are responsible.

I love what kids say now: "Deal."

Chris Hornbeck
Don Cooper

Ty Ford wrote:

It's really quite amazing how inconsiderate people can be. Take Roger for
example.

Ty,

Thank you for your note. However, any chances you had to see Roger's new
BBQ set up are probably gone.

Me, I don't live too far away, and I'm trying to get invited over there.

Don
Don Cooper

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

I love what kids say now: "Deal."

You know, as the kids also say, "It's all good."

Had MM not made this movie, there would be fewer ideas floating around.
I'm glad he made it. Maybe I'll even see it some day.

Don