Ruud Broens

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:56:47 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: wrote:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:59:24 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: : wrote:
: : :
: : : Vinyl, on the best day of its life, is around 12 bits
: : : equivalent. The widest dynamic range known on a music
: : : master tape is around 80dB, 14 bits will allow a properly
: : : dithered dynamic range of 81dB. What's the problem?
: : :: snip, irrelevant
: : :
: : Explain why your claimed dynamic range of mastertapes is relevant
: : to the establishment of a hifi standard of dynamic range.
: :
: : It sets the limit to what the replay medium need encompass.
: :
: : Actual music should set the dynamic range target, not some
: : -- this is technically possible in the 80's -- arbitrary range.
: :
: : Actual live music never exceeds about 85-90dB,
: : even under *very* exceptional circumstances, and is
: : more commonly 65-70dB dynamic range.
:
: So you're saying a 90 dB dynamic range is there for the taking,
: but your listening room's awfully noisy airco makes it impossible
: to enjoy ? No wonder you claim all amps sound the same :-)
:
: Are you being deliberately obscure, or are you just stupid? I'm
: referring to the dynamic range of the *original performance*.

don't go into politics, SP - your rebuttals lack convincing power ;-)
:
: Besides, I live in the UK, and as is the norm here, I don't have
: aircon. I do have one slow-running fan in the room, in my Krell, and
: that does set the noise floor in the room, at something in the
: mid-20s. It's a *very* quiet room - one advantage of living in the
: country, with a concrete slab floor, 13" thick walls and deep triple
: glazing. The *room* is certainly capable of achieving 90dB dynamic
: range, even if there's no available *recording* with that range.
:
: : this century, they can attain higher master tape quality, Stewart:
: : http://www.strongestudios.com/folio.html
: : so your 80 dB sound like a gospel :-)
: :
: : You don't know much about recording, do you Ruud? There's no way that
: : will exceed 65dB dynamic range.
: :
: : no numbers, but interesting anyway :
: : http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2192/essays7.html
: :
: : Rudy
: : heard a concert grand played up close
: : 80 dB for real ? no Sttway, Jose
: :
: : You are confusing dynamic range with maxiumum SPL, the *noise floor*
: : will hardly ever be less than 40dB SPL.
: : --
: -you mean, you've got _that much_ noise coming from your speakers
: ... that's sad.
: -- you are confusing facts with your overheated imagination, SP
: --- omniscience claim noted.
:
: Your idiocy continues. That's the noise floor of the concert hall,
: only studio recordings are able to get below a 30dB noise floor, and
: that would require pretty quiet breathing on the part of the
: performers. As noted above, with only me sitting quietly in it, my
: listening room is somewhere in the mid-20s (very difficult to measure
: due to self-noise in the microphone).

Interesting tactic - first rewriting music as _live music_, then claiming
from that point onwards that's what i wrote
- taken lessons in the debating trade ?
:
: : Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering
:
: As from environmental factors, 27 dB daytime eq. reported in NL iirc.
: That's in average living rooms, should be better in your dedicated room
: , i presume.
:
: I have yet to find an *average* living room that quiet, I'd have said
: that 30-35 dB was more normal in daytime, more for urban dwellings.
:
: I'm not confusing, i'm detracting one from the other, eh ?
: in this case**, 110 - 20 = 90 dB range.
:
: From where did you get the 20?
I got lucky - found it in a breakfast cereal box
- where did you find your 40, P.?
....deceptive editing noted.....**

: but anyway, surely you're not
: saying that the background noise level in a listening room should
: dictate the range that should be captured on a medium ?
:
: No, you completely misread what I wrote. For most people, it does
: however set a limit of around 70-80dB in the replay system, from the
: 30-35 of the room noise floor to the 105-110 of the system at the
: listening position.

agreed.

Exceptionally quiet rooms housing exceptionally
: powerful systems can extend this to a little more than 90dB, which is
: wider than you'll ever need.

a little more ? need ?? to use a direct quote: Bull****!
evidently, _you_ misread music as live music ...
without it, of course, you argumentation falls utterly apart.

Have fun at the fringe festival,
Rudy
: --
:
: Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:48:41 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:

.. .
: wrote:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:59:24 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: : wrote:
: : :
[...]

Your stupidity appears to be unbounded - specifying live music, i.e.
acoustic jazz, classical etc, works in your favour, as amplified music
has even less dynamic range.

: : Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering
:
: As from environmental factors, 27 dB daytime eq. reported in NL iirc.
: That's in average living rooms, should be better in your dedicated room
: , i presume.
:
: I have yet to find an *average* living room that quiet, I'd have said
: that 30-35 dB was more normal in daytime, more for urban dwellings.
:
: I'm not confusing, i'm detracting one from the other, eh ?
: in this case**, 110 - 20 = 90 dB range.
:
: From where did you get the 20?
I got lucky - found it in a breakfast cereal box
- where did you find your 40, P.?

Acoustics textbooks, also wide experience or real concert halls.

...deceptive editing noted.....**

: but anyway, surely you're not
: saying that the background noise level in a listening room should
: dictate the range that should be captured on a medium ?
:
: No, you completely misread what I wrote. For most people, it does
: however set a limit of around 70-80dB in the replay system, from the
: 30-35 of the room noise floor to the 105-110 of the system at the
: listening position.

agreed.

Exceptionally quiet rooms housing exceptionally
: powerful systems can extend this to a little more than 90dB, which is
: wider than you'll ever need.

a little more ? need ?? to use a direct quote: Bull****!
evidently, _you_ misread music as live music ...
without it, of course, you argumentation falls utterly apart.

What lunacy is this? What kind of music do you now claim you are
talking about?

Ruud Broens

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:48:41 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: wrote:

some snippin' required, so here goes
: : Your idiocy continues. That's the noise floor of the concert hall,
: : only studio recordings are able to get below a 30dB noise floor, and
: : that would require pretty quiet breathing on the part of the
: : performers.
: : As noted above, with only me sitting quietly in it, my
: : listening room is somewhere in the mid-20s (very difficult to measure
: : due to self-noise in the microphone).

: Interesting tactic - first rewriting music as _live music_, then claiming
: from that point onwards that's what i wrote
: - taken lessons in the debating trade ?
:
: Your stupidity appears to be unbounded - specifying live music, i.e.
: acoustic jazz, classical etc, works in your favour, as amplified music
: has even less dynamic range.
:
First: studio recording of acoustical instruments result in music registrations
--what's your hangup with 'concert hall noise floor' as being in some way
relevant with such a registration? Self-noise of competent microphones is below
20 dB SPL, eg. AT 3035 - a USD 200 job - states 12 dB SPL eq. noise level
Close miking just about anything will quickly get you in the 110+ dB SPL
range, so a 100 dB range is possible for sure. Of course this also depends on
the lowest acoustical level attainable from the instrument/environment .
Directional microphones / noise gates, etc. are used to minimize mechanical
noise,
if necessary.
The master recording's dynamic range can, depending on composition, etc.,
very well be in excess of 90 dB.
I believe it was dbx claiming a 100 dB requirement for the recording of
acoustical instruments' performances.

Second: many types of music don't use acoustical instruments, or exclusively so,
yet also do not start out as amplified music, so another strawman there noted.
Electronically generated signals can have pretty much a dynamic range that
is limited by the electronics used, that is *well over 100 dB*.

[...]
make up your mind: is it wide experience OR real concert halls ?
:-)
: ...deceptive editing noted.....**
:
[...]

See above.
Cheers,
Rudy: --
:
: Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering

Per Stromgren

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:16:10 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:

The master recording's dynamic range can, depending on composition, etc.,
very well be in excess of 90 dB.

I have never been in contact with such enourmous dynamics, can you
please point me to one example?

I have tried my best to look up comercially available recording with a
big dynamic range, but can't find any that exceeds even 75dB. Can you?

Even 75dB can be a problem in most homes with a typical system. Mine
for sure, my Quads flats out at some 100dB SPL and the room has around
30-35 dB noise floor.

Second: many types of music don't use acoustical instruments, or exclusively so,
yet also do not start out as amplified music, so another strawman there noted.
Electronically generated signals can have pretty much a dynamic range that
is limited by the electronics used, that is *well over 100 dB*.

Any example?

Per.
Arny Krueger

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

First: studio recording of acoustical instruments result
in music registrations --what's your hangup with 'concert
hall noise floor' as being in some way relevant with such
a registration? Self-noise of competent microphones is
below 20 dB SPL, eg. AT 3035 - a USD 200 job - states 12
dB SPL eq. noise level

While $200 will get you a mic with a 12 dB SPL noise figure,
no amount of money will get you a concert hall with 100
people in it that has a 12 dB SPL noise floor.

Close miking just about anything will quickly get you in
the 110+ dB SPL
range, so a 100 dB range is possible for sure.

Ignorance of concert hall noise floors, particularly those
with people, even just the musicians in them, noted.

Of course
this also depends on the lowest acoustical level
attainable from the instrument/environment . Directional
microphones / noise gates, etc. are used to minimize
mechanical noise, f necessary.

The noise floor of a concert hall is usually quite
pervasive. Furthermore, its pretty much guaranteed that the
noisiest part of the room is where the people are, even if
its just the musicians.

The master recording's dynamic range can, depending on
composition, etc., very well be in excess of 90 dB.

It just doesn't seem to happen.

I believe it was DBX claiming a 100 dB requirement for
the recording of acoustical instruments' performances.

I guess you haven't figured out that vendor claims and the
fact can be slightly divergent at times.

A lot of recordings are said to be made without compression
or gain riding, and I see no reason for so many people to
lie about it. If you look at actual recording, the dynamic
range pretty well peaks out below 75 dB.

Second: many types of music don't use acoustical
instruments, or exclusively so, yet also do not start out
as amplified music, so another straw man there noted.
Electronically generated signals can have pretty much a
dynamic range that is limited by the electronics used,
that is *well over
100 dB*.

Again, your ignorance is showing. While electronic
instruments may create sounds over 100 dB, their dynamic
range is often quite less. I routinely record electronic
keyboards for example. They often have noise floors that are
only 60-70 dB down. Remember, they have analog circuitry in
them as well, even if the notes are generated digitally.

Stewart Pinkerton

: wrote:

[...]

What, you think that studios don't have a noise floor?

Self-noise of competent microphones is below
20 dB SPL, eg. AT 3035 - a USD 200 job - states 12 dB SPL eq. noise level
Close miking just about anything will quickly get you in the 110+ dB SPL
range, so a 100 dB range is possible for sure.

Utter bull****! Put one musician in that studio, and your 12dB floor
immediately jumps to at least 20dB, more likely 25 as soon as he
begins to play, and is therefore not sitting absolutely still. Do you
have *any* concept of how quiet 20dB is? At that level (and I have
spent some time in anechoic chambers - very unpleasant) the only
sounds you can hear are your clothing rustling as you breathe, your
own breathing, and the blood coursing through your ears. It usually
takes about two minutes of sitting absolutely still in an utterly
quiet environment before you can perceive these noises.

A typical string quartet will generate something like 30-35 dB in the
rests between playing. Basically Ruud, your every post reveals that
you know absolutely nothing about acoustics.

Of course this also depends on
the lowest acoustical level attainable from the instrument/environment .
Directional microphones / noise gates, etc. are used to minimize mechanical
noise,
if necessary.
The master recording's dynamic range can, depending on composition, etc.,
very well be in excess of 90 dB.

I repeat, there is *no* music master tape with a dynamic range of more
than 80dB, so as ever, your fanciful musings are at odds with reality.

I believe it was dbx claiming a 100 dB requirement for the recording of
acoustical instruments' performances.

What a company *selling* companders may claim, has nothing to do with
reality. Note that compansion is no longer used, since CD took over
the music market.

Second: many types of music don't use acoustical instruments, or exclusively so,
yet also do not start out as amplified music, so another strawman there noted.

*Many* types? I don't think so, but even there you're quite wrong -
see below.

Electronically generated signals can have pretty much a dynamic range that
is limited by the electronics used, that is *well over 100 dB*.

Actually, it's more like 70-75 dB for real-world electronic
instruments. Get a grip, and stop making things up. The *reality* is
that *no* music master tape, Pet Shop Boys and Mike Oldfield included,
has a dynamic range of more then 80dB. Until you can find such a tape,
please stop making such a fool of yourself.

[...]

Typo, that should have been 'of', not 'or'. An *honest* debater would
have realised this, and avoided such a pathetic cheap shot.

:-)
: ...deceptive editing noted.....**
:
[...]

As I said - lunacy. And ignorance.

I am writing about the case Pinkerton against my instinct
telling me that one gets soiled by association.
I would not want to or know how to reply on his level. It is
easy to dismiss his vile, personal attacks as harmless signs of
immaturity They range from "Utter rubbish" through "You're a crook
and a liar", or "Don't be an arsehole" (Message 1835, Aug 18 to a Mr.
Packer), to his ultimate argument "You're a sad sack of ****."
And all this in polemics about audio! Just imagine what
he'd have to say in a political or religious argument!! Providing, of
course, that HE held the whip.
Unfortunately I have to live with memories of verbal
violence turning into mass murder.
Stalins, Hitlers and Maos could not have done without
thousands of eager executioners to assist them- the Gestapo and GPU
murderers. And no doubt these humanoids shouted filth at their victims
because dehumanising them first makes the torture and killing easier.
No doubt many of the humanoids were, good neighbours, fond
of their dogs and their children. But from verbal violence it is not
far to violent deeds-just give some of these ordinary Serbs, Hutus ad
Sudanese the right circumstances.
And for an intermediate step in this descent into nether
regions see Pinkerton's Neo-Nazi musings on how to "improve"
Appalachia by "eugenics" of Dr. Mengele variety (message 1432, Aug 11)
Ludovic Mirabel
OPTIONAL ADDENDUM:
For those not yet terminally bored with the issue I'm
summarising the history of this debate
Nothing wrong with individuals using blinding as a
precaution against bias- as long as they do not think that THEIR
results thereby acquire a persuasive weight of *evidence* valid for
anyone but themselves. The attempt to give
it a rigid ABX protocol cast resulted so far (four decades) in a
failure to prove its usefulness for detection of component differences.
The sighted bias is avoided and the baby gets spilled with the
bath-water. As yet no one gave a proper reference (Journal,Author(s),
year, month, page) to one single peer-reviewed, statistically valid
report about COMPARING ANY audio components and getting a positive
outcome- ie. majority heard differences when ABXing. The reports so
far have all been negative ie "It all sounds the same".
But the fact that such a report does not exist does
not faze Pinkerton. He invents them. First gossip published by him on
the Usenet of what he and his three pals heard comparing amplifiers.
When it is pointed out to him that anecdotes are not evidence he
produces another anecdote about what the "industry" is supposed to be
doing. And finally he sends people down another blind alley: the
Eureka/Archimedes project.
That is what they had to say for themselves without
Pinkerton translation :
" Project E!105 Archimedes, which ran from 1987 until 1992,
was a partnership between Bang & Olufsen, the Department of Acoustic
Technology at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) and KEF Audio
Ltd in the UK. *** Its goal was to investigate how sound
quality in the home is affected by the surroundings and how to
compensate for factors that have a negative impact on it, according to
Soren Bech from Bang & Olufsen***"
Not a word about COMPARING COMPONENTS BY ABX. Not in this
summary, not in the wholw website.
But this does not stop him. He says: (message 1820, Aug
17):
"More typical lies and deception from Mirabel. Try this
from the same article, which you clearly tried to avoid: " An
acoustically transparent screen surrounded the listening chair, hiding
the exact loudspeaker positions and the rest of the chamber
environment from the listener"
This is his answer to a request for a report of COMPARING
AUDIO COMPONENTS by abx/dbt.
Like Goebbels in his time there is no limit to his
contempt for the brains of his audience. The bigger the lie the more it
is likely that the normals will say: "He couldn't just have invented it
all. There must be SOMETHING to
it"
For the record: I was involved in DBT
drug trials before Pinkerton ever heard the word. Being blinded to the
position of a speaker that B&O are trying to make spherical as an
"invisible' sound source is an obvious precaution. But what has all
that to do with COMPARING COMPONENTS BY ABX? Double blinding is an
excellent precaution against one source of bias. I play with it myself
when I listen to a new component.
But it would never occur to anyone who is not a
stranger to the richness of individual human experience to maintain
that his listening sighted, blinded, double-blinded and ABXing and/or
seated on a horse is scientific EVIDENCE that what he can not hear no
one else can.

And mark this: B&O reserch was about loudspeakers. This
is what he had to say when two weeks ago I mentioned comparing
loudspeakers;
"Utter rubbish. There are no DBTs of carts or speakers
because they would be pointless- 100% every time" ( message 636,July
31).
I'd have to ask him for help to provide a suitable
comment..
Pinkerton soldiers on:
"It's a matter of recorded fact that the Archimedes
experiments used DBT protocols - after all, they already knew back then
that sighted listening was useless"
Maybe they did use DBT as one research tool, may be
not. They say nothing about it. But he knows! "It is a matter of
recorded fact..," Records are recorded so that they can be referred to
and quoted. I reprinted what the Eureka partners said. Not a word
about "double blind tests".in their website. And certainly nothing
about ABX/DBT results as conclusive evidence in their research. The
"record" is Pinkerton's let's call it, fantasy. (He'd use different
wording)
This nonrecorded record, whispered confidentially into
Pinkerton's privileged ear, is on a par with his gossip about his home
amplifier "test", his gossip about what "industry" is doing and his
latest: dodge ; the silly wild goose chase after Archimedes/Eureka
Still not ONE GENUINE REFERENCE, not even a quote about
comparing and DISTINGUISHING audio components by ABX/DBT.
Instead lots of profanity. AS for his stupidly
transparent, gambit of creating a diversion asking for "MY evidence
about my claims." ". Which claims? He does not quote one because they
do not exist. I do not believe that an experimental method exists to
prove or disprove my personal experiences. He claims he has a foolproof
method for showing up differences between components. I have none. I
have my unscientific, untestable, unprovable preferences.
He is the one with claims and it is up to him to show that his method
works. Gossip interlarded with four-letter worda is not enough
To me "discussion" with such as he is not only frustrating
bu also repulsive. He may be a decent enough guy to meet in a pub. I
can't tell. I only know his internet Persona. And this inspires me with
revulsion. He can go on. I won't.
Ludovic Mirabel
*****************

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:59:24 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:

: snip, irrelevant
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: ...

: hmm. clearly, in the case of establishing the CD format,
: there were definite incentives to get the sample size
: and rate as low as possible: to get an adequate duration
: with the limitations of the technically & economically
: viable solution available in 1980.
: that's not an opinion, but a fact :-)
: Rudy
:
: nb Philips originally wanted to settle on a 14 bit
: linear coded format. Sony upped that to 16....come on,
: 14 bits ?? who are ya kiddin? Listening tests ???
:
[...]

Ruud Broens

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
: "Ruud Broens" wrote in message
:
:
: First: studio recording of acoustical instruments result
: in music registrations --what's your hangup with 'concert
: hall noise floor' as being in some way relevant with such
: a registration? Self-noise of competent microphones is
: below 20 dB SPL, eg. AT 3035 - a USD 200 job - states 12
: dB SPL eq. noise level
:
: While $200 will get you a mic with a 12 dB SPL noise figure,
: no amount of money will get you a concert hall with 100
: people in it that has a 12 dB SPL noise floor.

studio recording of acoustical instruments - doesn't read like
"concert hall with 100 people" agreed ?

[...]

physical modeling, eg. from applied acoustics systems, use
the available soundcard, calculated at 32 bit floating, up to 24
bit 192 kHz sample size, why would that 60-70 be the case, Arny ?
Kurzweil, Korg, Yamaha, Alesis, etc. keyboards of today all use
that or similar formats, not really comparable with stuff from the 70's.
...so who's the ignorant party here ?
R.

Ruud Broens

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
news : On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:16:10 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: wrote:
:
:
: : wrote:
:
[...]

not your 40 dB mentioned. Problem reading "Of course this.." ?
:
: Self-noise of competent microphones is below
: 20 dB SPL, eg. AT 3035 - a USD 200 job - states 12 dB SPL eq. noise level
: Close miking just about anything will quickly get you in the 110+ dB SPL
: range, so a 100 dB range is possible for sure.
:
: Utter bull****! Put one musician in that studio, and your 12dB floor
: immediately jumps to at least 20dB, more likely 25 as soon as he
: begins to play, and is therefore not sitting absolutely still. Do you
: have *any* concept of how quiet 20dB is?

Yeah, it's 20 dB above the average hearing treshold :-)
Do you have any idea how mediocre your microphone was, not being able
to determine 25 dB SPL background noise due to self-noise ? ;-)

: At that level (and I have
: spent some time in anechoic chambers - very unpleasant) the &only
: sounds you can hear are your clothing rustling as you breathe, your
: own breathing, and the blood coursing through your ears. It usually
: takes about two minutes of sitting absolutely still in an utterly
: quiet environment before you can perceive these noises.

&Strange. my experience is that i can hear _all sounds_ very well,
not just the bloody ears :-) in that situation.
:
: A typical string quartet will generate something like 30-35 dB in the
: rests between playing. Basically Ruud, your every post reveals that
: you know absolutely nothing about acoustics.
:
basically Stewart, your every post presupposes some type of music/some type
of instrument/some type of recording setting- have you actually made
any recordings or are you just quoting some textbook ?

[...]
tape ? where was tape introduced ? oh, i get it, another round of debating
trade.

[...]
: :-)

: : ...deceptive editing noted.....**
: :
[...]
sure, i ignore your 'facts' as they are not in fact factual, just your
imagination working overtime - there _is_ a difference
R.

: Stewart Pinkerton | Music is A - Ignorance is B

Arny Krueger

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

First: studio recording of acoustical instruments result
in music registrations --what's your hang-up with
'concert hall noise floor' as being in some way
relevant with such
a registration? Self-noise of competent microphones is
below 20 dB SPL, eg. AT 3035 - a USD 200 job - states 12
dB SPL eq. noise level

While $200 will get you a mic with a 12 dB SPL noise
figure, no amount of money will get you a concert hall
with 100 people in it that has a 12 dB SPL noise floor.

studio recording of acoustical instruments - doesn't read
like "concert hall with 100 people" agreed ?

It's not the same but its not necessarily significantly
different when it comes to dynamic range.

[...]

All you're doing is talking theory.

If things were as you say, recordings with 80 dB would be
commonplace. In fact, they are like hen's teeth.

AFAIK, the widest dynamic range recording that has been
distributed to the public is this one:

http://64.41.69.21/technical/referen...gle-2_2496.wav

I know exactly what it took to make it.

Your challenge - find a real world recording with more
dynamic range.

George M. Middius

I know why the Krooborg is so terrified of vinyl and turntables.

It's not the same but its not necessarily significantly
different when it comes to dynamic range.

It's not the same but its not necessarily significantly
different when it comes to dynamic range.

It's not the same but its not necessarily significantly
different when it comes to dynamic range.

Arnii's own needle is stuck in a rut. The "debating trade" is all canned.
Who knew? ;-)

Clyde Slick

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

I know why the Krooborg is so terrified of vinyl and turntables.

It's not the same but its not necessarily significantly
different when it comes to dynamic range.

It's not the same but its not necessarily significantly
different when it comes to dynamic range.

It's not the same but its not necessarily significantly
different when it comes to dynamic range.

Arnii's own needle is stuck in a rut. The "debating trade" is all canned.
Who knew? ;-)

Prove it!

Prove it!

Prove it!

George M. Middius

Clyde Slick said:

Arnii's own needle is stuck in a rut. The "debating trade" is all canned.
Who knew? ;-)

Prove it!

Asked and answered.

Prove it!

Thanks Mr. Scokppupet for admitting you have no proof.

Prove it!

All the Middius *dupes* say that. LOt"s!

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:49:01 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
news : On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:16:10 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: wrote:
:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:48:41 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: : wrote:

snip lots of waffle and arm-waving by Ruud

Do you have any idea how mediocre your microphone was, not being able
to determine 25 dB SPL background noise due to self-noise ? ;-)

Yes, but I don't like large capsule concenser mikes.

: At that level (and I have
: spent some time in anechoic chambers - very unpleasant) the &only
: sounds you can hear are your clothing rustling as you breathe, your
: own breathing, and the blood coursing through your ears. It usually
: takes about two minutes of sitting absolutely still in an utterly
: quiet environment before you can perceive these noises.

&Strange. my experience is that i can hear _all sounds_ very well,
not just the bloody ears :-) in that situation.

In that situation, there pretty much *are* no other sounds - or you
wouldn't have a 20dB noise floor. That's *very* quiet, almost anechoic
chamber quiet.

: A typical string quartet will generate something like 30-35 dB in the
: rests between playing. Basically Ruud, your every post reveals that
: you know absolutely nothing about acoustics.
:
basically Stewart, your every post presupposes some type of music/some type
of instrument/some type of recording setting

Strange that, considering that we're discussing music recordings....

What were you drinking when you posted that comment?

- have you actually made
any recordings or are you just quoting some textbook ?

Dozens of them - I even used to do them for a living at PERA, when
measuring industriual noise levels.

snip lots of ducking and diving by Ruud

: Electronically generated signals can have pretty much a dynamic range that
: is limited by the electronics used, that is *well over 100 dB*.
:
: Actually, it's more like 70-75 dB for real-world electronic
: instruments. Get a grip, and stop making things up. The *reality* is
: that *no* music master tape, Pet Shop Boys and Mike Oldfield included,
: has a dynamic range of more then 80dB. Until you can find such a tape,
: please stop making such a fool of yourself.
:
tape ? where was tape introduced ? oh, i get it, another round of debating
trade.

Master tape, Ruud, *master* tape. No debating trade, that would be
*your* speciality here. There are no *master* tapes with more than
80dB dynamic range, so your arm-waving speculation is just so much
smoke and mirrors, as is usual with you.

snip more insubstantial blather by Ruud

: As I said - lunacy. And ignorance.
: --
sure, i ignore your 'facts' as they are not in fact factual, just your
imagination working overtime - there _is_ a difference
R.

There certainly is a difference. I am quoting real-world figures, you
are making up fairy stories.

Predictor

"Designing "fuzzy logic" database systems that could identify
recidivists in one of the best known penal systems in the country."

Could you tell us more about this?

Interested,
Will Dwinnell
http://will.dwinnell.com

Iain M Churches

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:49:01 +0200, "Ruud Broens"

wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in
message
news : On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:16:10 +0200, "Ruud Broens"

: wrote:
:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in
message
: .. .

: : wrote:

snip lots of waffle and arm-waving by Ruud

Do you have any idea how mediocre your microphone was, not
being able
to determine 25 dB SPL background noise due to self-noise
? ;-)

Yes, but I don't like large capsule concenser mikes.

Please tell us in detail your experiences with them.

Cordially,

Iain

Steven Sullivan wrote:
: well, wine connoisseurs have also been known to fall flat on their faces
: when their 'powers' are tested under controlled comparison conditions.
: IIRC red was even confused with white in such a test.

That's a bit of an overstatement. I've read that average people who
CLAIM to be wine connoisseurs often are unable to distinguish red from
white in blind tests. But you have examples for real recognized experts?

Scott