Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default Anyone have a Schematic for an Alesis QuadraSynth?

It works for the most part, except all the keys
from middle B and lower, do not work.

I'm hoping it will be something simple, like a loose
ribbon cable.

But a schematic would be helpful.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 14/06/2019 1:33 PM, Paul wrote:
It works for the most part, except all the keys
from middle B and lower, do not work.

I'm hoping it will be something simple, like a loose
ribbon cable.

But a schematic would be helpful.

More helpful before you get too carried away would be a quick look at
the keyboard back-pcb where you will probably find a pcb-fracture, bad
jumper-wire between boards (or tarnished/corroded header),corroded
pcb-track or wire link, or a dead matrix diode.

Only after that should you need to start worrying about a schemtaic !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/13/2019 8:06 PM, geoff wrote:
On 14/06/2019 1:33 PM, Paul wrote:
It works for the most part, except all the keys
from middle B and lower, do not work.

I'm hoping it will be something simple, like a loose
ribbon cable.

But a schematic would be helpful.

More helpful before you get too carried away would be a quick look at
the keyboard back-pcb where you will probably find a pcb-fracture, bad
jumper-wire between boards (or tarnished/corroded header),corroded
pcb-track or wire link, or a dead matrix diode.

Only after that should you need to start worrying about a schemtaic !

As I just said, I hope it's something simple, as you have mentioned.

But there's no harm in asking for the schematic now!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/14/2019 12:36 PM, Paul wrote:
On 6/13/2019 8:06 PM, geoff wrote:
On 14/06/2019 1:33 PM, Paul wrote:
It works for the most part, except all the keys
from middle B and lower, do not work.

I'm hoping it will be something simple, like a loose
ribbon cable.

But a schematic would be helpful.

More helpful before you get too carried away would be a quick look at
the keyboard back-pcb where you will probably find a pcb-fracture, bad
jumper-wire between boards (or tarnished/corroded header),corroded
pcb-track or wire link, or a dead matrix diode.

Only after that should you need to start worrying about a schemtaic !

** As I just said, I hope it's something simple, as you have mentioned.

** But there's no harm in asking for the schematic now!

You won't believe this: It was something like a 24 pin
header, with only 12 of the pins connected!

UNBELIEVABLE. How could anyone be so foolish as
to hook up only one row of a 24 pin header? WOW.

So now the lower half of the keyboard work. I still have to
clean the contacts for several keys, and I should probably just clean
all of them, if I have the energy.

But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip. I must
say I don't really like it. It's like you press a key, and there is yet
another 2nd level that you can push the key, when you push harder. Very
strange, and something I'm not sure I could get used to. And listening
to how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it either adds
a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both. Doesn't seem too useful,
musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
to create.

I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!

:/

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
You won't believe this:* It was something like a 24 pin
header, with only 12 of the pins connected!

It's an easy mistake to make if the connector is in a tough-to-see spot,
as many of them are. I've seen socketed DIP ICs installed with one row
of pins all on the outside of the socket.

***** But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip.* I must
say I don't really like it.

. . . . how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it either adds
a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both.* Doesn't seem too useful,
musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
to create. I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!

I don't know if there's a way to globally turn off aftertouch (you could
disconnect the strip, I suppose), but it's almost certainly a parameter
in the patch that creates the voice. Factory presets are usually created
to show off as many features of the instrument as possible. Get into the
patch editor and you'll probably find how to change what it modulates,
or turn it off in that patch.

Or just don't press the keys so hard.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/15/2019 3:25 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have the manual. Just haven't looked into it in
detail yet. I would imagine I would have to turn the aftertouch
off for each patch.

Now that I've played with it a bit, it seems to be a fairly useful
function for voices like violins, where you sometimes want heavy vibrato
at the end of a note.

But I have another problem: The pitch wheel doesn't work, or only
works intermittently. Could be a bad potentiometer that needs to be
replaced.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Also, the both modulation wheel, and the pitch wheel on the
left, are both made of this soft rubber, and for some dumb reason,
the engineers made them side-by-side, such they they rub each other!

So as I turn one wheel, the other wheel follows it!

****-poor design. I might have to sand down one, or both
of the wheels, so they don't touch anymore.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Or a tarnished, fractured, or mis-connected header plug ! If
intermittant most likely the pot. Try some Caig Faderlube.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Nothing a sharp blade can't fix !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Here's a pic:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...3-13.58.35.jpg

You can see that the pitch and modulation wheels are touching.

Really lousy design. Yes, I might have to take a blade to it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Yeah that rubberised finished that turns to goop after a decade or so.
Suggest disassemble the wheels, trim of the excess that is squidging
over the edges or the hard plastic wheel, and bevel it back a bit. All
with a sharp blade of some sort.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it appears the rubber has expanded a bit, or perhaps the
axis of one of the wheels, has been knocked off alignment, hence
the touching and rubbing. Will probably cut some of the wheels.

Good news: 91% isopropyl alcohol has cleaned all the keys, so
they all work now! Funny thing: someone (Probably the same genius
that put only half of the header in!) put the rubber velocity
strips in backwards for about 1/3rd of the keys. One of the two
contacts is closer to the board for a reason! But kinda interesting
that most of the keys worked anyways, even with the rubber strip
in the wrong way!

Ok, next is the pitch and modulation pots. It looks like someone
spilled a drink in this part of the board, which would explain
a lot!

:/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Ok, another issue: The Bb just before middle C is often too
loud sounding, while the B natural right next to it is too quiet
and soft sounding. This is true for most of the velocity sensitive
patches, except for the ones that are constant amplitude, like the
organ voices, in which case there is no problem.

The problem happens either with a mono output, or with
headphones.

Maybe there is some way to tweak a global parameter, such
that I can adjust the velocity sensitivity of each note? I know
there is an overall velocity sensitivity, but I'm not sure if I
can tweak individual notes?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/06/2019 5:48 PM, Paul wrote:

****** Maybe there is some way to tweak a global parameter, such
that I can adjust the velocity sensitivity of each note?* I know
there is an overall velocity sensitivity, but I'm not sure if I
can tweak individual notes?

Sound like you need the Owners Manual rather rather the schematic ;- )

FWIW I just scored a Roland Super Jupiter MKS-80 and programmer in lieu
of an unpaid debt !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:

***** But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip.* I must
say I don't really like it.* It's like you press a key, and there is yet
another 2nd level that you can push the key, when you push harder.* Very
strange, and something I'm not sure I could get used to. And listening
to how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it either adds
a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both.* Doesn't seem too useful,
musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
to create.

***** I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!

***** :/

Actually, having aftertouch is an indication of a more advanced synth
keyboard.

In classical electronic music the keyboard is simply a trigger. In the
earliest versions, the key only submitted a single on/off trigger, and
all sound options were controlled by synth module settings. As a result,
it was difficult to make complex sound events such as emphasis based on
how hard one strikes the key, how long it's held down, etc. It was also
quite limiting in live performances (remember all those wires folks were
plugging and unplugging?).

Later generations of keyboards provided touch sensitivity (velocity) and
aspects such as duration that were previously only available via the
Envelope Generator and as a result limited to the number of EVs in a synth.

Aftertouch is another trigger that allowed the programmer to add more
voicings to the sound event, and as a result the musician had a lot of
expressive capability in when playing live than ever before.

So, explore a little and perhaps learn a lot! ;-)

--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/17/2019 3:40 AM, geoff wrote:
On 17/06/2019 5:48 PM, Paul wrote:

******* Maybe there is some way to tweak a global parameter, such
that I can adjust the velocity sensitivity of each note?* I know
there is an overall velocity sensitivity, but I'm not sure if I
can tweak individual notes?

Sound like you need the Owners Manual rather rather the schematic ;- )

I have the owners manual, and I believe it mentions an overall
velocity sensitivity, but not individual note adjustments. I will
look at it again in more detail.

FWIW I just scored a Roland Super Jupiter MKS-80 and programmer in lieu
of an unpaid debt !

So you got this:

https://ranum.dk/wp-content/uploads/...ks80-mpg80.jpg

Do you prefer rackmounted synths?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

****** :/

[...]

Oh, this board has been a HUGE learning experience!

I'm getting used to the aftertouch. It's pretty good
in some patches.

But again, I'd like to turn it off when need be.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 18/06/2019 10:42 AM, Paul wrote:
On 6/17/2019 3:40 AM, geoff wrote:
On 17/06/2019 5:48 PM, Paul wrote:

******* Maybe there is some way to tweak a global parameter, such
that I can adjust the velocity sensitivity of each note?* I know
there is an overall velocity sensitivity, but I'm not sure if I
can tweak individual notes?

Sound like you need the Owners Manual rather rather the schematic ;- )

**** I have the owners manual, and I believe it mentions an overall
velocity sensitivity, but not individual note adjustments.* I will
look at it again in more detail.

FWIW I just scored a Roland Super Jupiter MKS-80 and programmer in
lieu of an unpaid debt !

*** So you got this:

******* https://ranum.dk/wp-content/uploads/...ks80-mpg80.jpg

*** Do you prefer rackmounted synths?

That's wot I got.

"Prefer' ? No but it was that or nothing. And I've got a KX-88 and
M-Audio something-or-other that need modules in order to make a sound !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 18/06/2019 10:46 AM, Paul wrote:

**** Oh, this board has been a HUGE learning experience!

**** I'm getting used to the aftertouch.* It's pretty good
in some patches.

**** But again, I'd like to turn it off when need be.

From a quick scan through the manual :

" Aftertouch. The action of pressing a key down after playing it is
called aftertouch (it is also sometimes referred to as Pressure
since it corresponds to the amount of pressure being applied to the
keyboard). Pitch, tone and volume (among other things) can be changed
using aftertouch."

..... so what parameter it affects the amount of it is programmable on a
per patch basis, and is a part of that patch. There doesn't seem to be a
global 'off' for it, so you'll need to edit the patches that have it
that you don't want it on, or adapt your playing technique to avoid post
keystroke pressure.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

It was two bad B10K pots, which looked like they had
beer, or some other liquid, spilled on them. They were
totally toast.

So I got two new ones, with shafts that were too long,
so I had quite a dremel tool night, after I hacksawed them
to the proper length.

But BEWARE! The flat part of the "D" shafts on potentiometers,
are NOT standardized! The flat part might be 180 degrees different
than your new pots, so look carefully!

But the pitch shift works perfectly now. And I took
60 grit sandpaper to both wheels, so I should now have space
between them.

To be continued!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/17/2019 10:05 PM, geoff wrote:
On 18/06/2019 10:46 AM, Paul wrote:

***** Oh, this board has been a HUGE learning experience!

***** I'm getting used to the aftertouch.* It's pretty good
in some patches.

***** But again, I'd like to turn it off when need be.

*From a quick scan through the manual :

" Aftertouch. The action of pressing a key down after playing it is
called aftertouch (it is also sometimes referred to as Pressure
since it corresponds to the amount of pressure being applied to the
keyboard). Pitch, tone and volume (among other things) can be changed
using aftertouch."

.... so what parameter it affects the amount of it is programmable on a
per patch basis, and is a part of that patch. There doesn't seem to be a
global 'off' for it, so you'll need to edit the patches that have it
that you don't want it on, or adapt your playing technique to avoid post
keystroke pressure.

I can imagine a player really liking the aftertouch. It can be
pretty musical, depending on the patch, and what you want to play.

But it's still a bit weird for me. It's a secondary "rocking"
motion on the white keys, but you don't get the same rocking motion on the
black keys. It's more like just more pressure on the black keys.

So from an action "feel" point of view, my impression is that it's
a bit uneven. Although I think if I turned it off, the rocking motion
would be easy enough to ignore.

We shall see!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Paul wrote:

You can see that the pitch and modulation wheels are touching.

Really lousy design. Yes, I might have to take a blade to it.

This is consumer equipment. The material and manufacture is designed for
a three to five year lifespan.

You'll notice that the contacts are corroding because they aren't hard gold.
Hard gold contacts would drive up the price of the keyboard mechanism by a
factor of ten. So they don't do that.

The knobs are inexpensive urethane that isn't completely set and swells up
after a few years. That saved a dollar or so and really doesn't shorten
the service lifetime since other things will have broken by then.

Now, Alesis DOES provide an actual service manual... even if it does not
have full schematics and board layouts, it at least has block diagrams and
pinouts. So Alesis does get some credit for trying to make the system
serviceable in a way that most consumer gear is not. The days of being able
to order a Sam's Photofact on the latest consumer product are mostly over.

The stuff sold in your local MI store is pretty much all designed like
other consumer electronics today, and sold in a similar way.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/19/2019 7:57 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Paul wrote:

You can see that the pitch and modulation wheels are touching.

Really lousy design. Yes, I might have to take a blade to it.

This is consumer equipment. The material and manufacture is designed for
a three to five year lifespan.

Date of manufactu About 1994. 25 year old board.

Now that the pitch and modulation pots have been replaced,
the wheels have about 1/8th of an inch between them. I didn't
sand off that much material, so it looks like they might have been
assembled incorrectly at some point.

You'll notice that the contacts are corroding because they aren't hard gold.
Hard gold contacts would drive up the price of the keyboard mechanism by a
factor of ten. So they don't do that.

The keyboard velocity contacts are matte black pads, which cleaned
up nicely with 91% isopropyl alcohol. So now the entire keyboard
works fine.

The knobs are inexpensive urethane that isn't completely set and swells up
after a few years. That saved a dollar or so and really doesn't shorten
the service lifetime since other things will have broken by then.

The worst thing on this unit, are the plastic screw posts on the
keyboard mechanism, that you screw into from the back of the unit.
Maybe about 30% of them have either broken off completely, or have
cracked or split open, rendering them useless to hold a screw tight.

It could be the few screws that were left, were not the original
screws, and so they could be a bit too long, which may have encouraged
the cracking. So I put in shorter screws on the remaining posts that
were open, and it seems to be good enough for now.

Now, Alesis DOES provide an actual service manual... even if it does not
have full schematics and board layouts, it at least has block diagrams and
pinouts. So Alesis does get some credit for trying to make the system
serviceable in a way that most consumer gear is not. The days of being able
to order a Sam's Photofact on the latest consumer product are mostly over.

The stuff sold in your local MI store is pretty much all designed like
other consumer electronics today, and sold in a similar way.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Paul wrote:

This is consumer equipment. The material and manufacture is designed for
a three to five year lifespan.

Date of manufactu About 1994. 25 year old board.

Yes, this is my point. You have long, long exceeded the expected lifespan
of the device. This is not mil-spec.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

In article , Paul wrote:

This is consumer equipment. The material and manufacture is designed for
a three to five year lifespan.

Date of manufactu About 1994. 25 year old board.

Yes, this is my point. You have long, long exceeded the expected lifespan
of the device. This is not mil-spec.
--scott

That may be true, but this board works perfectly fine now. It
has years of useful life left in it, and perhaps even more. Even if
all the plastic keyboard posts fail, a replacement keyboard could
probably be found on Ebay. And these are still in demand on Ebay.

I don't buy into the "buy a new one", disposable consumer
mentality that the corporations encourage.