n8 skow

Default Is the car stereo industry stagnant?

Well, you talk the talk... but what are 'you' going to do about it?

n8

I don't know where those Car stereo makers are spending their R&D
money. I really don't understand these makers have ignored the
customers' needs in the area of hightech gadgets. Recently BMW and
Apple announced the marriage of the iPod and the BMW. Why such
integration has to be with a particular make of car, and not with a
brand of car stereo such as Alpine or Pioneer etc. If the car stereo
industry simply follows some computer standards, they can provide the
same kind of solution to all brands of cars.

There are many untouched markets that are currently patched by only
low tech adaptor type solutions.

I want a line-in socket to plug my CD player into my car stereo
instead of using the FM transmitter or a cassette adaptor.

I want to plug in my cell phone into a port in my car stereo and my
car turns into a phone with the keypad and voice taken over by the car
stereo. Better still, use the Blue tooth phone connection like the
one in the Acura TL. Not just a privilege of the Acura owners, but
for all car owners with an Alpine stereo too. Since Alpine is an OEM
for Honda, most likely it is already available in after market. ???

I want to plug my Rio MP3 player into the USB port of the car stereo
and let it my car stereo take control of the player.

The car's audio system need a better integration with other audio
devices such as MP3, cell phone etc.

Caloonese

I don't work for these companies. As a consumer, the only think I can
do is to save up some money and wait for one to show up. What would
you do? Simply zip up your lips?

"n8 skow" wrote in message news:3RDOc.1217$aR2.676@okepread04...
[...]

n8 skow

Well, let's consider the options...
=)

You can keep posting here and hope you meet a genie...
You 'could' contact the appropriate manufacturers and offer a suggestion or
two...
Find a tech-savvy friend that could help you rig something together...
Or, continue to be patient till the automotive industry catches up...

n8

"n8 skow" wrote in message

[...]

Xao

I think Alpine is about the best solution you are looking for. They
currently have XM integration, have RCA Aux Inputs, which you could
buy an adapter from radio shack and mount on your dash a standard 1/8"
audio jack.

Alpine also is the only aftermarket manufacturer that is releasing
full iPod support from the HU. It will even charge your iPod and let
you browse your songs/playlists from the HU. More info he
http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/l...h_kca-420i.htm

Alpine/Sirius is also getting ready to release a Sirius adapter for
their HU's, I believe they will be the first manufacturer to support
BOTH satellite providers from one HU.

NICE.....

(Caloonese) wrote in message om...
[...]

Scott Gardner

Caloonese wrote:

[...]

I understand your frustration, and I'm sure the car stereo manufacturers are
well-aware of what their customers would like in terms of integration
between stereo head units and personal electronic devices such as cell
phones, PDAs, and portable music players.

The good news is that the trend is quickly moving towards better integration
between all these different devices. For instance, many head units now
have inexpensive adaptors that will convert the CD changer port into a pair
of RCA inputs. Even something as simple as this wasn't widely available
until the past few years.

As you noted, part of the problem is a lack of industry-wide standards, both
on the part of the stereo manufacturers and the manufacturers of personal
electronics. As more standards are developed, we'll see higher levels of
integration. Now that the "hands-free" protocols for Bluetooth have been
finalized, we're already seeing integration with factory head units like
the Acura you mentioned. Before long, we'll see it in aftermarket decks.
Also, I believe Alpine is near completion of their iPod interface for their
aftermarket head units, so in the near future, you won't have to buy a BMW
or a Mini to be able to control an iPod from your head unit.

Once the Bluetooth protocols for portable music players are completed, the
manufacturers will begin incorporating them into their head units, so
instead of proprietary interfaces like the current Alpine/iPod marriage,
we'll start seeing more generic solutions. This means that you'll be able
to control your Bluetooth-equipped music player with your
Bluetooth-equipped head unit, regardless of brand or model.

In short, be patient. Things are already better than they've ever been, and
the future is looking even brighter.

Scott Gardner

Caloonese

Thanks for the encouraging words. Yours is much better than some
useless response I got earlier. The frustrating part and my puzzle
was that these car stereo markers didn't take an initiative to lead
innovations. It took Toyota to introduce Bluetooth cellphone
integration, and BMW to introduce iPod integration.

Geez! Toyota and BMW only makes cars. The player makers could have
put some good products into the market and let the car maker drool to
sign OEM with them. I would assume that the aftermarket is much
bigger than just one or two car makers and I guess retail would have
better profit margin than OEM. It seems to me that these stereo
makers do not care too much about expansion of their market nor better
products. That was my original question, is this industry stagnant?

Scott Gardner wrote in message news:OmCPc.3013$Jo1.2249@lakeread01...
[...]

MZ

I don't understand the problem in bringing up a real car audio issue in a
car audio newsgroup. It's a legitimate gripe and worthy of discussion.

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

"n8 skow" wrote in message

[...]

Ian

I have emailed several car stereo manufacturers regarding mp3 playback from USB flash drives,
and no-one has replied.
You would simply transfer your mp3 files onto a USB flash disk and plug it into the USB port
on the front of your car stereo and play, then you could plug the flash drive into the USB port
on your home stereo.
You could store all your favorite songs onto USB flash drive and hang it around you neck.
There has been car mp3 players around for a few years but they are all hard drive based
and I'm not too keen on having a hard drive based player in the car, would much rather have
solid state, no moving parts, no wear, no hard drive failures.

I've searched the net for a few weeks and have now seen one or two car stereo's that can
read mp3 files from MMC/SD memory card (Blaupunkt DAB52 & DAB53 is one example),
so we are slowly moving in the right direction, now if only they would introduce this concept
to home stereo's you could play your music anywhere.