Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
[email protected] condor_222@yahoo.com is offline

Default Replace door speakers in 97 Camry with which brand?

Dear experts,

I have a 97 Camry XLE with the premium sound system.
Six speakers. Two rear. Two in the doors.
Two tweeters near the rear view mirrors.

Unfortunately, the tape and CD self destructed.
so, I changed to the Alpine model CDA-9856 which
allowed me to use my IPOD. Also play MP3s.
It sounds awesome.

Since changing it, I've since discovered that the
front passenger door speaker needs replacing. It
makes huge vibrating noises during certain parts of
songs. I did take off the door panel, and take
it to Tweeter, and they assured me it was the
speaker, not something in the door.

I don't want to also change the rear speakers. I'm
concerned that a new set of speakers for the front
will have a different tonal range, and sound
than the rear.

I believe that the rear speakers are JBLs.

What do you suggest for this car?
Another set of JBLs?

Should I get the four speaker models that also
include tweeters?

Thanks a lot!

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
mcbrue mcbrue is offline

Replace the Camry with a Lexus. Then ask us what to do with it. We
won't have any more helpfull ideas, but we will feel better about
assuring you they are right - we just don't know about Toyotas!

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
Troy T. Troy T. is offline

Well speakers are pretty much personal preference.Alpine,JL,Rockford
Fosgate etc. all have great speakers.The components will make a huge SQ
difference because it will be clearer and you can raise the sound stage
to your ear level. So the best thing to do is go audition a bunch of
different speakers and then decide based on what you liked most.Good
luck!

TroyT.

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Well, your description of the car and the speaker compliment was a bit
vague. I think you are saying that you have tweeters in the sail-panels
(they are near the rear-view mirrors) and midbass drivers in the doors.

AND, it seems the problem is with the midbass driver, so you need to replace
those.

If that is the case, several things come into play. First of all (and this
is in no particular order), it generally doesn't matter whether your front
speakers match your rear-speakers (timbre wise, or brand wise, or size wise,
etc..). The reason being that when playing MUSIC in a car, you want your
rear speakers barely audible to give your music some "presence" (the term we
use is "rear-fill"). The BULK of the sound (like at a concert) should seem
like it is coming from in front of you. So for this reason it is generally
considered not important to timbre match the front and rear speakers. In a
home-theater situation, however, it's entirely different. There you DO want
all your speakers to match to retain sonic continuity as the action on
screen moves from one side of the room to the other. If you are planning to
build a full-blown car theater with a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 channel surround
sound processor, then obviously you WOULD want to timbre match your
speakers.

OK, the next thing to consider is your existing tweeters in the sail-panels
(or at least I THINK you mean the sail panels). Those tweeters were
obviously designed to work with the midbass drivers that came with the car
so I would plan on NOT re-using those. There is obviously a crossover
network somewhere that is designed SPECIFICALLY to work with the
characteristics (impedances, frequency responses, sensitivities, etc.) of
those two drivers (the woofer and tweeter). You simply can't just plug in a
different type of woofer and expect it to work right.

So it sounds to me like you need an entirely new "front stage" (not just new
woofers). There are two ways to go: coaxials and separates. Coaxials are
those type of speakers that contain the woofer and tweeter together, on the
same "co" axis. Separates are what you had, the woofer and tweeter are
mounted separately. Separates tend to sound better and cost more (there are
a number of reasons for this, one of which is that they almost always use an
outboard crossover network that ensures each speaker gets the frequencies
it's best designed to handle). As you already have a place to mount your
tweeters, this sounds like a good option for you.

But my experience has been that separates tend to be less "efficient" (see
the FAQ I posted if you don't know what this means) than coaxials. Many
separates practically NEED the addition of an outboard amplifier to sound
their best (or to sound decent at all) as their efficiency is so low and
even the most powerful HU's don't have enough power. The addition of an
amplifier is a good idea NO MATTER WHAT route you go, however, as an amp
will increase the dynamics and bass capability of your speakers.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps. Again, consult the FAQ to gain a better
handle on speaker basics.

MOSFET

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article om,
wrote:

What do you suggest for this car?
Another set of JBLs?

Well, this is rec.audio.pro. I recommend you sell the car. That will give
you almost enough money to get the bottom of the line Griffin monitoring
speakers. They won't get you to work, but you'll hear a lot better at home
where it's quiet anyway.

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

mcbrue wrote:
Replace the Camry with a Lexus. Then ask us what to do with it. We
won't have any more helpfull ideas, but we will feel better about
assuring you they are right - we just don't know about Toyotas!

I have a Lexus, and the components of the sound system are so tightly
integrated that you can't replace anything with other than the genuine
replacement part without tearing out the whole system. There are
amplifiers scatted all over the cabin.

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

replace nothing
it is obvious you have blown the system
just buy an IPOD, and some good headphones

and learn to post to appropriate groups
as I found this in the recording audio professional

or buy a bose system,
and have ford motor co install it

maybe cheese dog will bark into this as he knows everything

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:08:09 -0700, mcbrue wrote:

Replace the Camry with a Lexus. Then ask us what to do with it. We won't
have any more helpfull ideas, but we will feel better about assuring you
they are right - we just don't know about Toyotas!

Isn't a Lexus essentially a Toyota with leather seats?

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
Alan Alan is offline

Agent 86 wrote:

Isn't a Lexus essentially a Toyota with leather seats?

Don't forget the gold 'L' emblem and the outrageous price tag...

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
[email protected] amstaffs@home.com is offline

Agent 86 quipped:

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:08:09 -0700, mcbrue wrote:

Replace the Camry with a Lexus. Then ask us what to do with it. We won't
have any more helpfull ideas, but we will feel better about assuring you
they are right - we just don't know about Toyotas!

Isn't a Lexus essentially a Toyota with leather seats?

you say that like it's a bad thing.
Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
[email protected] amstaffs@home.com is offline

Alan (nospam) quipped:

Agent 86 wrote:

Isn't a Lexus essentially a Toyota with leather seats?

Don't forget the gold 'L' emblem and the outrageous price tag...

yup, like Mercedes is to a Dodge Neon.
Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
Scott Schuckert Scott Schuckert is offline

I replaced mine with JBL GTO637's, running from the stock amplifier,
and was very pleased with the results. They're three-way 6.5", and
efficient enough that you don't need a bigger amp (assuming you're not
into hearing loss, as some people apparently are.)

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
Dark1 Dark1 is offline

coming from rec.audio.car, if I were to go with anyones suggestion it would
be this one..
reason being, stock speakers are generally made much more sensitive than
their aftermarket counterparts, and people have often found themselves
disappointed when their stock speakers were louder than what they replaced
them with, and they drive their amplifier into clipping trying to match the
volume.
clipping baaaaad.. high sensitivity on hu power, gooood.

"Scott Schuckert" wrote in message
I replaced mine with JBL GTO637's, running from the stock amplifier,
and was very pleased with the results. They're three-way 6.5", and
efficient enough that you don't need a bigger amp (assuming you're not
into hearing loss, as some people apparently are.)

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
[email protected] condor_222@yahoo.com is offline

HI Scott,

Thanks for responding!

I have the Camry XLE, with tweeters near the rear view mirrors.
Do you also have tweeters like these, or not?

Thanks again.

Scott Schuckert wrote:
I replaced mine with JBL GTO637's, running from the stock amplifier,
and was very pleased with the results. They're three-way 6.5", and
efficient enough that you don't need a bigger amp (assuming you're not
into hearing loss, as some people apparently are.)

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
Scott Schuckert Scott Schuckert is offline

In article .com,
wrote:

I have the Camry XLE, with tweeters near the rear view mirrors.
Do you also have tweeters like these, or not?

No. While I greatly prefer the XLE setup, it does significantly
complicate the use of third-party speakers. What you'd want to do is
purchase a component speaker system, bypass the stock crossover, and
install the new speakers in the factory locations. None of this will be
an exact-fit drop in, so be prepared to do a little drilling and
filing.

Ctutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com) can be a significant help.
Looking briefly at their page, the Infinity Reference 6010cs looks like
a choice, or the JBL GTO607C

In my case, I chose the very bright JBL's (with their reputation as a
"Rock N Roll" speaker) because I wanted to preserve the factory
appearance and would be firing the tweeter at my ankles. You could do
the same to simplify installation (disabling the factory tweeters) but
I'd prefer to see you do it the "right" way.

Good Luck!
Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,alt.autos.lexus
[email protected] condor_222@yahoo.com is offline

BTW, here's an interesting question.

Someone here said that they thought the speaker was blown.

This is odd, because I really don't turn the stereo up that loud.
And, it is only one speaker that was blown.

As I mentioned, I just had the stereo upgraded to an Alpine.
The Alpine is more powerful than the stock stereo.

Do you think that the shop that installed it might have cranked
the Alpine up, and blew the speakers on me?

Thanks a lot!