Dave

Default Dynaudio in Q Logic kick panels

I am getting a new pair of dynaudio 240GT. My car is a 98 blazer
currently with a set of boston pros 6.5. I am not sure whether I
should get a Qlogic kick panels for the dynaudio or install them in
the factory slot. Any recommendations. I am not an installer so I do
not know how to make kick panels. Please advise on the best setup for
these components
Steve Grauman

Properly made and placed, kickpanels are usually if not always ideal over the
factory mounting spots. However, I've had the chance to handle the QLogic kicks
and they are *thin* to say the least, and made from seemingly cheap plastic.
They'll work, but they'll need to be extremely well insolated, I know someone
who used them in a Jetta, but he may as well have made coustom kicks for all
the work it took. The better option is to let someone build coustom kicks for
your Blazer, even if you do the rest of the install yourself.
Jay Brown

I'm pretty sure that the Qlogic kick panels will only hold up to a 6 1/8"
driver. Also the only thing that the qlogic kicks have going for them is
that they look good. They need a substantial amount of work to get them to
work well.

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
I am getting a new pair of dynaudio 240GT. My car is a 98 blazer
currently with a set of boston pros 6.5. I am not sure whether I
should get a Qlogic kick panels for the dynaudio or install them in
the factory slot. Any recommendations. I am not an installer so I do
not know how to make kick panels. Please advise on the best setup for
these components

Mark Zarella

Properly made and placed, kickpanels are usually if not always ideal over
the
factory mounting spots.

How about "sometimes"?

However, I've had the chance to handle the QLogic kicks
and they are *thin* to say the least, and made from seemingly cheap

plastic.
They'll work, but they'll need to be extremely well insolated, I know

someone
who used them in a Jetta, but he may as well have made coustom kicks for

all
the work it took. The better option is to let someone build coustom kicks

for
your Blazer, even if you do the rest of the install yourself.

Some people fiberglass the innards.

wicked1

I have had kickpanels in 2 of my cars a 88 Grand Marquis and a 93 Corvette.I
think kickpanels give much better imaging but there is nothing more annoying
than to have to yell at your friends to move their damn leg all the time as
they are totally blocking the right side signal. Then I had to sit with my
leg kinda kinked uncomfortably to not block the left signal. Not worth it in
my eyes or to my ears. Ill stick to mouting them in the dash in the future.

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
Properly made and placed, kickpanels are usually if not always ideal over

the
factory mounting spots. However, I've had the chance to handle the QLogic

kicks
and they are *thin* to say the least, and made from seemingly cheap

plastic.
They'll work, but they'll need to be extremely well insolated, I know

someone
who used them in a Jetta, but he may as well have made coustom kicks for

all
the work it took. The better option is to let someone build coustom kicks

for
your Blazer, even if you do the rest of the install yourself.

Steve Grauman

there is nothing more annoying
than to have to yell at your friends to move their damn leg all the time as
they are totally blocking the right side signal.

Sadly, the way VW placed the front components in my GTi, my left leg is almost
always blocking the driver's side mid-bass driver. It seems to me that Porsche
has got the best factory speaker locations, with the front tweets and mids
located togethor in pods on the dash, where they can't be obstructed by
passengers. I know that windsheild reflection may come into play here, but I
think they're aimed pretty well. It seems as though you'll never acheive
"perfect" speaker placement without going the route of Alpine's Civic Si,
removing pretty much everything and replcaing it with custom fiberglass.
Steve Grauman

How about "sometimes"?

OK, I know better than to argue with you =), it just seems to me that more
often than not, the factory speaker locations are less than ideal.
Mark Zarella

How about "sometimes"?

OK, I know better than to argue with you =), it just seems to me that more
often than not, the factory speaker locations are less than ideal.

Yeah, I'd go along with that. Luckily, factory locations are getting better
these days, compared to say 10 years ago. Ah, progress!

But there are also other non-factory locations that don't involve building
kick panels.

Mark Zarella

there is nothing more annoying
than to have to yell at your friends to move their damn leg all the time

as
they are totally blocking the right side signal.

Sadly, the way VW placed the front components in my GTi, my left leg is

almost
always blocking the driver's side mid-bass driver.

If you use a 3-way component set, it's usually not so bad to obstruct the
midbass driver if the LPF is low enough. Then it's just the midrange and
midbass that you usually want to keep from being occluded. Or, more
precisely, keep from being occluded differently from each other.

It seems to me that Porsche
has got the best factory speaker locations, with the front tweets and mids
located togethor in pods on the dash, where they can't be obstructed by
passengers. I know that windsheild reflection may come into play here, but

think they're aimed pretty well. It seems as though you'll never acheive
"perfect" speaker placement without going the route of Alpine's Civic Si,
removing pretty much everything and replcaing it with custom fiberglass.

I seem to recall Mercedes putting speaker pods higher in the doors in some
of their models. But I don't have much experience with them, so I could be
talking out my ass.

Steve Grauman

I seem to recall Mercedes putting speaker pods higher in the doors in some
of their models. But I don't have much experience with them, so I could be
talking out my ass.

LOL, I'll have to give my granddad's MBs a look next time I see him. I've never
noticed it before though, including in the new models I sat in at the Los
Angeles car show. I really like the way the speakers in the Carrera are setup,
with the mid-bass and tweet right next to each other, and mounted away from
where passenger(s) or other things may block them. Of course, with a base price
near $70k and loaded models going for near $100k (before moving upwards into a
Turbo, GT2, etc...) you expect a few things to be done right =).

Steve Grauman

But there are also other non-factory locations that don't involve building
kick panels.

Have you ever worked on a VW like mine or seen one you were particularly
impressed with? I'm having a really hard time deciding how and where to mount
my front components. My first idea was to keep it "stealth" by using the
factory locations, but I feel like I'm sacrificing a lot of imaging by going
that route.
Mark Zarella

But there are also other non-factory locations that don't involve
building
kick panels.

Have you ever worked on a VW like mine or seen one you were particularly
impressed with? I'm having a really hard time deciding how and where to

mount
my front components. My first idea was to keep it "stealth" by using the
factory locations, but I feel like I'm sacrificing a lot of imaging by

going
that route.

What kind of VW?

Anyway, there's often a tradeoff. The sacrifice is sometimes negligible.
It can be predicted to some extent, but it's hard to tell definitively until
it's in there. In my current installation, it was essential for me to use
the factory locations. Turns out the factory locations were pretty good (as
I expected they would be), but I'm not sold on the installation yet (I
didn't do it, but I may have to end up modifying it a bit in the spring).
In my last car, I also used factory locations for almost an identical set.
That installation I did myself (I think I still have pics floating around
somewhere). In that car, I went from using kick panels to factory locations
with different results. However, they weren't necessarily better with the
kick panels. But that was a big car and my leg didn't get in the way. I
also had quite a bit of mounting depth to work with so I was able to build a
baffle on the driver's side with the tweeter and midrange angled up towards
the driver.

Mark Zarella

LOL, I'll have to give my granddad's MBs a look next time I see him. I've
never
noticed it before though, including in the new models I sat in at the Los
Angeles car show. I really like the way the speakers in the Carrera are

setup,
with the mid-bass and tweet right next to each other, and mounted away

from
where passenger(s) or other things may block them. Of course, with a base

price
near $70k and loaded models going for near $100k (before moving upwards

into a
Turbo, GT2, etc...) you expect a few things to be done right =).

My father has one where there are 3 grilles in each door. The tweeter and
midrange grilles are high on the door. I've seen other mercedes like this
too.

Steve Grauman

What kind of VW?

An MKIV (2002 MY) GTi

logic audio 5.5 sagan General 0 January 8th 04 06:22 AM
Removing 03 Civic Si Door Panels Robbie Caldwell Car Audio 3 January 7th 04 04:54 AM
FS: Clarion ADCS-1 System, Denon DCT-1000R/DCH470, PG ZPA amps and processors, Dynaudio 3 way biamp speakers, Orion EQ/xover, Audio Control 3050 RTA Stephen Narayan Car Audio 4 September 19th 03 05:46 AM
Dynaudio Sys 340 Install Question Rick Car Audio 2 August 4th 03 11:40 PM
FS: Kicker amp, PG amp and EQ, Dynaudio speakers, Phase Linear Aliante mids and Alpine/Dynaudio tweeters Stephen Narayan Car Audio 4 July 14th 03 06:27 AM