RonB

Default Noise Reduction Software?

I know this has been discussed a bit before here (I reviewed the postings
from the spring of this year and earlier on Google Groups), but wondered if
there are any further comments or suggestions.

Can anyone recommend some good, preferably inexpensive, software for
removing/reducing noise (clicks, pops, crackle etc) in wav files recorded
from an LP? (I.e. the "scratchy" noise etc on the original LP). I've
recorded wav files from LP's at 44,100 Hz, 16 bit stereo, PCM format using
Creative Recorder and split into individual tracks using LP Ripper. It would
be nice to be able to (easily) remove some of the more noticeable noise from
the resulting tracks.

Thanks for any responses.

Ron B

(to respond directly, delete the prot)

RonB

Subsequent to posting the first message here, I noticed in a local store a
product called Clean 4.0, from Pinnacle Systems (which I understand from
their website is company that also produces Steinberg's WaveLab).

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product (among any
others, of course!)

Thanks again for comments.

Ron B

(to reply directly, please delete the prot)

Mark D. Zacharias

For best results, programs such as this generally (always?) have adjustable
thresholds so you can adjust for effectiveness vs. artifact.

I use DC Art and Cool Edit 2000, but anymore I manually remove the
noticeable clicks, then sample the noise between songs and run a filter
based on that sample.
Not perfect, and certainly tedious, but generally (not always) avoids the
artifact.

Mark Z.

"RonB" wrote in message
Subsequent to posting the first message here, I noticed in a local store a
product called Clean 4.0, from Pinnacle Systems (which I understand from
their website is company that also produces Steinberg's WaveLab).

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product (among any
others, of course!)

Thanks again for comments.

Ron B

(to reply directly, please delete the prot)

CFB Software

"RonB" wrote in message ...

Can anyone recommend some good, preferably inexpensive, software for
removing/reducing noise (clicks, pops, crackle etc) in wav files recorded
from an LP? (I.e. the "scratchy" noise etc on the original LP). I've
recorded wav files from LP's at 44,100 Hz, 16 bit stereo, PCM format using
Creative Recorder and split into individual tracks using LP Ripper. It would
be nice to be able to (easily) remove some of the more noticeable noise from
the resulting tracks.

There are links to 3rd party noise reduction software on the LP Ripper links page:

http://www.cfbsoftware.com/lpripper/links.htm

Chris Burrows
CFB Software