Tim Ferrell

Default Real Stereophonic Recordings

Something Peter Larsen posted got me thinking. I primarily do live
recording work. I started running stereo pairs in the house -- anywhere
and everywhere. Upfront center, in the rafters, in the balcony, 60 foot
splits, lip of the stage, over the stage -- whatever the room gave me.
Although, at times I got some outstanding results, I ultimately
gravitated toward multitrack recording because of the control it
afforded me and my increasing frustration at being unable to control my
position in the house, deal with crowd, etc.

But I have to admit that some of those "real stereophonic recordings"
have a quality that is difficult (at least for me) to achieve
multitracking -- even with a pair on stage or in the house to provide a
natural field.

So to satisfy my longing for "that sound," can anyone recommend some
stellar, commercially-available, true stereo recordings? Records made
with a single stereo pair?

And has anyone tried recording a singer/songwriter with a single
coincident pair at about chest level from a few feet back? The results?

Thanks.

Tim

Paul Stamler

"Tim Ferrell" wrote in message

So to satisfy my longing for "that sound," can anyone recommend some
stellar, commercially-available, true stereo recordings? Records made
with a single stereo pair?

The Cowboy Junkies: "The Trinity Sessions". Well, actually it was a
soundfield microphone, but close enough.

Also take a listen to many of the Grateful Dead recordings ("Dick's Picks,
Vol. xxxx") that were made by audience tapers using stereo pairs.

And has anyone tried recording a singer/songwriter with a single
coincident pair at about chest level from a few feet back? The results?

Yes. Well, actually he was a singer of traditional songs rather than a
singer/songwriter. I used an XY pair of Neumann KM-84s. I liked the results
a lot. It won't work on everybody, especially not someone who sways from
side to side, and not everyone's voice sounds good on a KM-84.

I've also done some work with multiple crossed pairs; check out Phil Cooper
& Margaret Nelson's CD "Pretty Susan" for examples. Phil was done with the
aforementioned pair of KM-84s, Margaret with a pair of Beyer M260s, and
hammered dulcimer player Paul Goelz with a pair of Shure SM-81s. I like the
results; no additional 'verb added. The overdubbed bassoon was also KM-84s.
Analog mastering, no NR, so there's a bit of hiss.

The bluegrass band "Country Cooking" did their first Rounder LP with a
crossed pair. So did the Highwoods String Band, and to further make things
unusual, they did it outdoors in pretty-near-anechoic conditions, kinda the
ultimate in "they are here" as opposed to "you-are-there" recording. You can
hear birds chirping now and then.

Peace,
Paul

Nick Busigin

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:27:34 -0400, Tim Ferrell wrote:

But I have to admit that some of those "real stereophonic recordings"
have a quality that is difficult (at least for me) to achieve
multitracking -- even with a pair on stage or in the house to provide a
natural field.

So to satisfy my longing for "that sound," can anyone recommend some
stellar, commercially-available, true stereo recordings? Records made
with a single stereo pair?

You may also want to check out some "Best of Chesky...Audiophile Test
Disks". It's a 3 volume set that has tracks to evaluate your listening
environment with as well as demo's of some recording techniques and
some really nice jazz and classical recordings. Some of the stereo
recordings on that series of CDs are holographic in their realism.

Nick

http://www.songbirdofswing.com
Nick Busigin
Visit Our Indie Jazz CD Construction Project!
Scott Dorsey

Tim Ferrell wrote:

So to satisfy my longing for "that sound," can anyone recommend some
stellar, commercially-available, true stereo recordings? Records made
with a single stereo pair?

Well, aside from the old favorites like the Mercury Living Presence albums
and the Everest albums, there are a lot of audiophile labels out there
like M-A Recordings, Pope Music, and so forth, which specialize in minimalist
recordings.

And has anyone tried recording a singer/songwriter with a single
coincident pair at about chest level from a few feet back? The results?

I tend to prefer Jecklin disc for that sort of thing, but a lot of it
depends on the guitar and how it balances in the first place. But I do
a lot of that sort of stuff and there is an example on the second RAP CD
compilation.
William Sommerwerck

Some of the Sheffield recordings are real stereo. I don't know if the CDs are
still in print.

Peter Larsen

Tim Ferrell wrote:

So to satisfy my longing for "that sound," can anyone
recommend some stellar, commercially-available, true
stereo recordings? Records made with a single stereo
pair?

See the recording section of my site, there is a link to the english
language webshop you can buy some of them in. No, there is nothing "in
it" for me, you ask for good stereo, it is, not all of it a single pair,
but it is minimalistic, 6 mics on a Verdi Requiem is not much. Generally
if Finn Kaufmanas recorded it, then it is good.

And then there is the rap cd set .... GO GET IT. If there are some old
ones, get them too. And get the RAP LP, Scott hasn't been able to get
out of his living room since they arrived from the pressing plant. This
is good for the newsgroup, but he may want to get out more. They are not
going to make more sets until they have sold out, it is Papal decree
that so mote it be.

One of the best single pair recordings I have heard is my Elias, I
wouldn't mind if Akademisk should want to release it to the public, it
was only intended to be an "in house" artists version .... ah, well, it
was a scary project to embark on, and a thrill that it worked and great
to be able to put on the cover as "tech note" that it is is a true image
in time and in dynamics, except for one intermission that needed to be
slightly shorter when visual clues was not available. It is very rare
and very humbling that everything about a recording gets just right.

Some of Danish Concert Band's records are made with a pair of 4006's, a
quality mic pre and a DAT, I don't know exactly which.

And has anyone tried recording a singer/songwriter with a single
coincident pair at about chest level from a few feet back? The results?

Again, there are all kinds of examples on those rap CD's and the vinyl.
And there are extensive and occasionally very extensive notes to all
contributions.

Tim

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Cossie

Tim Ferrell wrote:

So to satisfy my longing for "that sound," can anyone
recommend some stellar, commercially-available, true
stereo recordings? Records made with a single stereo
pair?

"The King James Version" on Sheffield Lab, if you can get your hands on one.

Arny Krueger

Cossie wrote:
Tim Ferrell wrote:

So to satisfy my longing for "that sound," can anyone
recommend some stellar, commercially-available, true
stereo recordings? Records made with a single stereo
pair?

"The King James Version" on Sheffield Lab, if you can get your hands
on one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...75220?v=glance

This is probably not the first mastering of the CD from the early 80's,
which was just plain horrific.

Cossie

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...930985-0975220
?v=glance

This is probably not the first mastering of the CD from the early 80's,
which was just plain horrific.

When I wrote "if you can get your hands on one", I was thinking of the
original LP. I know nothing of how the cd versions were mastered or which
ones are any good.

Bill Balmer

Len Moskowitz

Tim Ferrell wrote:

And has anyone tried recording a singer/songwriter with a single
coincident pair at about chest level from a few feet back? The
results?

I do it all the time with pianists, choral groups and small chamber
groups. Try using a pair of really good omnis and a Schneider Disk.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Primaudio

wrote:

So to satisfy my longing for "that sound," can anyone recommend some
stellar, commercially-available, true stereo recordings? Records made
with a single stereo pair?

Chesky records does nothing but.

www.chesky.com

Tim Ferrell

Thanks, all, for the recommendations.

Tim

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

The King James Version by Harry James is a big band recording made
with a stereo pair, plus spot mikes on the bass and piano. A Sheffield
Labs recording.

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 02:27:34 GMT, Tim Ferrell
wrote:

[...]

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

I think a lot of the stuff on Nimbus records is a single stereo pair,
if you want classical music examples.

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:23:09 GMT, Tim Ferrell
wrote:

Thanks, all, for the recommendations.

Tim

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

Peter Larsen

"Willie K.Yee, M.D." wrote:

The King James Version by Harry James is a big band
recording made with a stereo pair,

As I recall the LP cover there is an AKG overall onepoint and a onepoint
above the drumkit.

plus spot mikes on the bass and piano.

I didn't know about those, but it is way longtime ago I heard it.

A Sheffield Labs recording.

One that had the property of being able to set treble loudspeaker
attenunation resistors on fire ....

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

William Sommerwerck

I think a lot of the stuff on Nimbus records is a single
stereo pair, if you want classical music examples.

No, most Nimbus recording are made with a SoundField mic or an equivalent
discrete-mic array. It can be a bit overly reverberant heard in stereo, but when
properly decoded, the sense of sitting in a "real" acoustic environment can be
very convincing.

Primaudio

From: Kalman Rubinson
Date: 4/8/04 1:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time

So to satisfy my longing for "that sound," can anyone recommend some
stellar, commercially-available, true stereo recordings? Records made
with a single stereo pair?

Chesky records does nothing but.

www.chesky.com

Except for their multichannel recordings.

Kal

"Multichannel" recordings are done ambisonic with a Soundfield MKV, so they
are still point-source, and can be decoded in mastering to 2 stereo tracks,
authored discretely onto DVDA or SACD, as well as a chesky exclusive 4 + 2
surround, for people willing to arrange their systems to that configuration.
(both versions on the same disc)

phillip sztenderowicz
Bob Cain

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Multichannel" recordings are done ambisonic with a
Soundfield MKV, so they are still point-source [sic], and
can be decoded in mastering to 2 stereo tracks, authored
discretely onto DVDA or SACD, as well as a Chesky
exclusive 4 + 2 surround, for people willing to arrange their
systems to that configuration. (both versions on the same disc)

Yes but my point was intended to be humorous although I left off the
smiley. There are more than 2 mike elements on the Soundfield mike,
ain't there? ;-)

Yes. There are four hypercardioids in a tetrahedral arrangement.

In general there are four 0th + 1st order mics. The amount
of the 0th order component in each just affects the ratio of
the W channel to the XYZ so any pattern can be used other
than the extremes of an omni or a figure 8. Traditional
analysis has it a cardiod. This is the best choice also
because no capsule has a rear lobe which minimizes the sound
picked up from within the array where HF wierdness is bound
to exist.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein