Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sarah[_8_] Sarah[_8_] is offline

Default Stereophonic to Octophonic

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your recent advice regarding static/crackle
reduction on old time radio mp3s. I've downloaded trial versions of
the programs several of you suggested and have managed to clean up the
audio somewhat; though there is a reason that 'garbage in, garbage
out' is a truism.

So now I have another query which I'm hoping you can help me with:

I need to create both a stereophonic/two-channel and an octophonic/
eight-channel version of the project I'm working on. I know it would
be easier to mix down the octaphonic version into the stereo version,
but unfortunately I have to do it the other way around. I'm wondering
if there's a program (for PC preferably) out there somewhere that can
take a stereo file and translate that into eight mono tracks/four
stereo tracks. Is this just wishful thinking?

Are there any programs/strategies that you might suggest for this?

Thanks again!

-Sarah
Posted to rec.audio.pro

I need to create both a stereophonic/two-channel and an octophonic/
eight-channel version of the project I'm working on. I know it would
be easier to mix down the octaphonic version into the stereo version,
but unfortunately I have to do it the other way around. I'm wondering
if there's a program (for PC preferably) out there somewhere that can
take a stereo file and translate that into eight mono tracks/four
stereo tracks. Is this just wishful thinking?

Yes. This is, in principle, impossible.

However, one of the Blu-rays for a Disney (?) film discusses the use of
software that can generate tracks isolating specific instruments. I don't
remember the name of the software (if it was mentioned), or where it could
be obtained.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

What do you want the octophonic version to sound like? Instruments
surrounding you (quite hard)? Instruments in front, hall ambience
surrounding you (not as hard)?

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sarah wrote:

I need to create both a stereophonic/two-channel and an octophonic/
eight-channel version of the project I'm working on.

Do it.

I know it would
be easier to mix down the octaphonic version into the stereo version,
but unfortunately I have to do it the other way around.

I do not understand how that necessity can come to exist.

I'm wondering
if there's a program (for PC preferably) out there somewhere that can
take a stereo file and translate that into eight mono tracks/four
stereo tracks. Is this just wishful thinking?

Are there any programs/strategies that you might suggest for this?

Duplicate mixdowns. I do no see any possible circumvention becuase
ambience-effects, be it emulated natural or intentionally artificial, needs
to be deployed very differently.

Thanks again!

You can not unmash potatoes.

-Sarah

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 1/29/2011 4:11 PM, Sarah wrote:

I need to create both a stereophonic/two-channel and an octophonic/
eight-channel version of the project I'm working on. I know it would
be easier to mix down the octaphonic version into the stereo version,
but unfortunately I have to do it the other way around. I'm wondering
if there's a program (for PC preferably) out there somewhere that can
take a stereo file and translate that into eight mono tracks/four
stereo tracks. Is this just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking. Also wishful thinking that you can make
such an "un-mix" without hearing what you're doing. But if
you have a multitrack recorder or a computer audio interface
with 8 outputs and you have 8 speakers, you probably already
have a program that will let you send your tracks to 8
discrete outputs.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Sarah wrote:
Thanks so much for your recent advice regarding static/crackle
reduction on old time radio mp3s. I've downloaded trial versions of
the programs several of you suggested and have managed to clean up the
audio somewhat; though there is a reason that 'garbage in, garbage
out' is a truism.

MP3 encoding basically ruins waveform shapes and makes further post-processing
impossible or at least very difficult. Lossy compression is only for use
for release formats that will never encounter any additional processing
(and that includes equalization). Unfortunately such a thing does not happen.

So now I have another query which I'm hoping you can help me with:

I need to create both a stereophonic/two-channel and an octophonic/
eight-channel version of the project I'm working on. I know it would
be easier to mix down the octaphonic version into the stereo version,
but unfortunately I have to do it the other way around. I'm wondering
if there's a program (for PC preferably) out there somewhere that can
take a stereo file and translate that into eight mono tracks/four
stereo tracks. Is this just wishful thinking?

Sure, you can just pan the left channel to one of the eight and the right
channel to another one of the eight, and leave the other six unused.
There is no dishonor in not using all the channels. Stuff does not have
to be coming out of all the speakers all the time.

If you have automated your mix, though, it should not be all that difficult
to remix it, using eight aux busses.... keep the same levels that you had
for the stereo signals, just change the pans.

Are there any programs/strategies that you might suggest for this?

Well, your real nightmare will be eight-channel monitoring.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Jan 29, 4:11*pm, Sarah wrote:
[...]

__________________
First of all, "stereo" as we know it came to be associated with two-
channels simply because of technical practicality of the age it was
introduced in: post-WW2. The root of the word stereo is "solid".
This implies that sound could be coming at the listener from any where
from two to twenty(!!) directions.

Surround was simply a marketing term to selll the concept of
multichannel sound that came from directions not limited to in front
of the audience. It's all really just stereo. Octophonic is simply
stereo via 8-channels, preferably discrete, but can be derived from
adjacent channels of a X.1 digital surround system.

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David@liminal David@liminal is offline

On Jan 29, 9:11*pm, Sarah wrote:
[...]

Hi Sarah,

Can you clarify whether you need to to create the 8-channel mix _from_
the stereo mix, or whether you just need to do it after you have
completed the stereo mix?
If the former, you don't have many options other than panning the left
channel to the odd speakers and the right channel to the evens, but if
the latter (and you still have access to the multi-tracks) creating a
new 8-channel mix is perfectly doable if you have a suitable
monitoring environment and plenty of time.

If this is for a site-specific installation or performance where you
know the room and the speakers you are going to use, your solution
might be relatively simple - especially if you have access to the
space and equipment in time to do some experimentation. If the
project is for dissemination for as yet unknown playback contexts,
you'll need to worry more about the monitoring environment and the
translatability of what you have created. If you can give a little
more info on the context of the project though, it would be helpful.

David

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/30/2011 9:49 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Sure, you can just pan the left channel to one of the eight and the right
channel to another one of the eight, and leave the other six unused.
There is no dishonor in not using all the channels. Stuff does not have
to be coming out of all the speakers all the time.

It depends on the reason. If you're doing an exhibit
installation where you want to be able to walk around an
area and stand near the violins, then stand near the horns,
then stand near the bases, then stand near the conductor,
you need something coming out all the speakers (which may be
hidden behind cardboard cutouts of the different orchestra
sections).

Disney lives!

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff