Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Default Nakamichi help needed

I have an old Nak ZX-7 deck which hasn't been used for quite a while. I
tried it today and rewind and fast forward work ok. When I hit play,
the tape doesn't move. Any ideas?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Samurai Jack Samurai Jack is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---MIKE--- View Post
I have an old Nak ZX-7 deck which hasn't been used for quite a while. I
tried it today and rewind and fast forward work ok. When I hit play,
the tape doesn't move. Any ideas?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Hello Mike,
Yes the exact same thing just happened to me: Nakamichi ZX-7 kept in fantastic condition, rarely used, then not used at all for 10 years. Problem was the same, fast forward and rewind worked fine but every time I pushed play it wouldn't work. I pressed Stop then Play over and over and over. Turned it off, waited 15 min, turned it back on, kept pushing Stop and Play and fiddling with random settings and switches, then suddenly play started working. Now all functions work perfectly and I've been listing to top notch quality from the Nak since. Don't know; probably just the motor dedicated to playing is stuck from just sitting so long. Hands down, still sounds amazing, though. The ZX-7 is a fantastic deck for the price--maybe one of the best deals around today. Keep it up, mate! GL!

tl;dr--things with lots of moving parts that sit for a long time can get stuck...don't blow huge amounts of money just yet.