Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default DRM ****ING ME OFF!!

I ripped some songs from a CD into MP3 Format Sound.

Simple enough.

My collection is organized chronologically because prettymuch that's
how I deal with life - through time.

Therefore, my songs' file names usually include the decade and other
info that I right-click on Properties to change in the mp3 file
itself. A typical file name might be, "1980s - Jump" (for the monster
Van Halen hit of that era). Other properties are not so visible, such
as the option to put in a "Subtitle". When I sort the folder of mp3s
by subtitle, they will sort by Cover#. IE: Bob Dylan's "Knocking On
Heavens Door" and Guns & Roses' are both subtitled "Cover01". "Now
That We Found Love", by both third wirld and Heavy D, are "Cover02",
and so on.

So what is my problem, you ask?

The INFORMATION I'M ADDING/EDITING IN PROPERTIES IS NOT STICKING,
DAMMIT ALL!!!

I'm noticing that after a few days/weeks/months, mp3s from various
sources are reverting to their download or rippeed Filenames, making
it harder to sort via my mp3 player or windows folders when DJing from
my PC.

Is this the effect of "Digital Rights Managment", and, what can I do
to prevent this bull**** from happening??

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:
I ripped some songs from a CD into MP3 Format Sound.

Simple enough.

Too simple.

Since you didn't identify how you are ripping the music, (with what
applicaiton) nor did you mention what you were using to edit the
MP3 tags, it seems pretty unlikely that any of us can do anything
but comiserate.

If you are looking for something more than sympathy, you will need
to reveal what software you are using and what is your "workflow".

I generally use CD-DA for ripping, and MP3tag for editing tags.
Neither of them has ever let me down.

And it probably doesn't have anything to do with DRM, but not
sure since we don't know how you are doing it. Some ways of
ripping CDs (like Windows Media Player) actually ADD DRM!

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Oct 4, 6:36*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
I ripped some songs from a CD into MP3 Format Sound.

Simple enough.

Too simple.

Since you didn't identify how you are ripping the music, (with what
applicaiton) nor did you mention what you were using to edit the
MP3 tags, it seems pretty unlikely that any of us can do anything
but comiserate.

If you are looking for something more than sympathy, you will need
to reveal what software you are using and what is your "workflow".

I generally use CD-DA for ripping, and MP3tag for editing tags.
Neither of them has ever let me down.

And it probably doesn't have anything to do with DRM, but not
sure since we don't know how you are doing it. Some ways of
ripping CDs (like Windows Media Player) actually ADD DRM!

_________________
Yes, I use WMP to rip my CDs.

But let me clarify the process: When I purchase an mp3(Amazon, etc)
or rip one from a disc, here's what i do.

If you right-click on the properties of a mp3 file, a window will pop
up with three tabs: "General", "Security", and "Details". I rename
the file in "General", then copy that exact name to "Details"(which is
where my mp3 player gets title information - along with artist &
genre, etc). I also add other details, like the Subtitle indicating
that the song is a cover of an earlier original. I might also correct
or add Artist's information, like the Artist's name and/or album that
it came from.

It is THESE ITEMS IN DETAILS that DISAPPEAR after a week, or a month,
etc. Got it? The mp3 player can no longer find the song the way I
set it up to.

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech
news reader news reader is offline

I use CDex for ripping my cds. When you load the cd you can load from a
cddb (online cd data database?) that adds the artist and all the track
names. Then I use winamp as my player where I can add my own track info and
make any changes to artist or track name. Winamp doesn't change the track
info. Plus I use an older version, 5 or earlier. The latest winamp is
starting to look like WiMP

Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:
But let me clarify the process: When I purchase an mp3(Amazon, etc)
or rip one from a disc, here's what i do.

If you right-click on the properties of a mp3 file, a window will pop
up with three tabs: "General", "Security", and "Details".

OK, so you are using the Windows Explorer to modify the MP3 tags.
When you want help with something, you must actually identify what
it is that you want help with. We can't read your mind at this distance.

Recommend just using something MEANT for the job like MP3tag
which is FREE. Problem solved. Don't use a method that you have
proved to be unreilable. Besides, MP3tag does so much more (and
more convienently). You'll wonder why you ever did it with WE.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Oct 4, 8:24*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
But let me clarify the process: *When I purchase an mp3(Amazon, etc)
or rip one from a disc, here's what i do.

If you right-click on the properties of a mp3 file, a window will pop
up with three tabs: *"General", "Security", and "Details".

OK, so you are using the Windows Explorer to modify the MP3 tags.
When you want help with something, you must actually identify what
it is that you want help with. We can't read your mind at this distance.

Recommend just using something MEANT for the job like MP3tag
which is FREE. *Problem solved. Don't use a method that you have
proved to be unreilable. *Besides, MP3tag does so much more (and
more convienently). You'll wonder why you ever did it with WE.

____________
Thank you. But what I'm trying to get to the bottom is - WHY does
this information keep disappearing/reverting? Right clicking and
modifying under the Details Tab is easy enough for a Texas Rancher to
do it , I just want the **** to stick!

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:
But let me clarify the process: *When I purchase an mp3(Amazon, etc)
or rip one from a disc, here's what i do.

If you right-click on the properties of a mp3 file, a window will pop
up with three tabs: *"General", "Security", and "Details".

OK, so you are using the Windows Explorer to modify the MP3 tags.
When you want help with something, you must actually identify what
it is that you want help with. We can't read your mind at this distance.

Recommend just using something MEANT for the job like MP3tag
which is FREE. *Problem solved. Don't use a method that you have
proved to be unreilable. *Besides, MP3tag does so much more (and
more convienently). You'll wonder why you ever did it with WE.

__________________
Well thanks for nothing - Rich!

I downloaded Stamp ID3 Tag editor and it triggered Norton which
processed a suspicious file which coincidentally came on board when I
installed this thing. I have removed the program from my system but
the shortcut icon must remain permanently on my desktop.

Perhaps YOU can explain how to remove it - Einstein!

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Oct 4, 9:40*pm, ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

_____________
Well I rebooted my PC and now the icon - along with this malicious
software - is gone.
That'll be the last time I download something that YOU recommended,
Rich.

Good day, and Good GOD!

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:
Well thanks for nothing - Rich!

I downloaded Stamp ID3 Tag editor and it triggered Norton which
processed a suspicious file which coincidentally came on board when I
installed this thing. I have removed the program from my system but
the shortcut icon must remain permanently on my desktop.

Perhaps YOU can explain how to remove it - Einstein!

Dunno what you're talking about? What is "Stamp ID3 Tag editor"

I said "MP3tag which Google reveals to be:
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Is that what you downloaded?

I don't have a clue what "Stamp ID3 Tag editor" is?
Never heard of it. Didn't recommend it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Oct 4, 9:48*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
Well thanks for nothing - Rich!

I downloaded Stamp ID3 Tag editor and it triggered Norton which
processed a suspicious file which coincidentally came on board when I
installed this thing. *I have removed the program from my system but
the shortcut icon must remain permanently on my desktop.

Perhaps YOU can explain how to remove it - Einstein!

Dunno what you're talking about? *What is "Stamp ID3 Tag editor"

I said "MP3tag which Google reveals to be:http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Is that what you downloaded?

I don't have a clue what "Stamp ID3 Tag editor" is?
Never heard of it. Didn't recommend it.

________________________
Look just below the row of links, "Home, Download, Donate,
Screenshots," etc.

It's the only download link on the whole page!!

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:
Well thanks for nothing - Rich!

I downloaded Stamp ID3 Tag editor and it triggered Norton which
processed a suspicious file which coincidentally came on board when I
installed this thing. *I have removed the program from my system but
the shortcut icon must remain permanently on my desktop.

Perhaps YOU can explain how to remove it - Einstein!

Dunno what you're talking about? *What is "Stamp ID3 Tag editor"

I said "MP3tag which Google reveals to be:http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Is that what you downloaded?

I don't have a clue what "Stamp ID3 Tag editor" is?
Never heard of it. Didn't recommend it.

___________________________

Here is the link at the top of that page: Mp3 Tag Editing Software
Download free tag editor to change or add information to Mp3 files.

When I click it I get: http://www.nch.com.au/tageditor/inde...FVlM5Qod33G07Q

Got any clues as to where what you recommend can be downloaded???

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Yes, I use WMP to rip my CDs.

Take a look at the options and disable all the "steve ballmer and/or riaa
knows what's good for ya" toggles. Out of the cybershrink wmp messes with
everything.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:

If you right-click on the properties of a mp3 file, a window will pop
up with three tabs: "General", "Security", and "Details".

OK, so you are using the Windows Explorer to modify the MP3 tags.
When you want help with something, you must actually identify what
it is that you want help with. We can't read your mind at this
distance.

Whatever he does wmp will update the metadata if left at its ex works
presets and it will so do for any file it has in its library, ie. knows
about.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"ChrisCoaster" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
I don't have a clue what "Stamp ID3 Tag editor" is?
Never heard of it. Didn't recommend it.

___________________________

Here is the link at the top of that page: Mp3 Tag Editing Software
Download free tag editor to change or add information to Mp3 files.

When I click it I get:
http://www.nch.com.au/tageditor/inde...FVlM5Qod33G07Q

Got any clues as to where what you recommend can be downloaded???

This is what I see when I Google for: mp3tag

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2)
An easy-to-use tool to edit metadata of common audio formats. It can rename
files, replace characters, import/export tag information, create
playlists...
www.mp3tag.de/en/ - Cached - Similar
Download
Screenshots
Support
AwardsChangelog
Links
Donations
More results from mp3tag.de »

I don't see ANY adds in the right-margin bar

Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

From reading the rest of the thread, apparently you're using Windows Media Player, and
apparently it is set to download/revise tags for your music library. Windows apps often have
such 'helpful' annoyances set to 'on' by default. Dig into the WMP options and turn it off.
And no, it's got nothing to do with DRM.

Personally I use foobar2000 as my music player/organizer software, and Tag&Rename for any
heavy-duty tagging jobs.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Oct 6, 11:47*am, Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

From reading the rest of the thread, apparently you're using Windows Media Player, and
apparently it is set to download/revise tags for your music library. *Windows apps often have
such 'helpful' annoyances set to 'on' by default. *Dig into the WMP options and turn it off.
And no, it's got nothing to do with DRM.

Personally I use foobar2000 as my music player/organizer software, and Tag&Rename for any
heavy-duty tagging jobs.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine- Hide quoted text -

_______________________

Well, I went into Options in WMP and uncheckmarked a few things here
and there. I'll see what happens with future downloads.

Problem is, songs are reverting to their "download" titles on my mp3
player as well. It's happening slowly, over time. How does one explain
THAT?

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Oct 8, 5:16*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote ...

Well, I went into Options in WMP and uncheckmarked a few things here
and there. *I'll see what happens with future downloads.

Problem is, songs are reverting to their "download" titles on my mp3
player as well. It's happening slowly, over time. How does one explain
THAT?

You keep using WMP and WE. If you wish to do that, then you must
live with the consequences. *If you want to avoid all that intrigue, then
you can follow our advice and use better -behaved 3rd party tools.
This is not theory, many of us have been exactly where you are and
we are offering you the benefit of our learnings and conclusions.

If you don't want to take our advice, and you want to continue to use
WMV, then please don't keep coming back here complaining about it.
It diminishes your credibility.

Vaudeville act from your great-grandparents era:
Patient: *"Doc, it hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: *"Well, then DON'T TO THAT!"

_____________________
Then explain this: WHY is this happening only in the last several
MONTHS? I've been editing mp3 properties since 2007, going back to XP
and (!)-ME, and the song data that I input STUCK! What was there
different about those two and the Vista and WMP 11 that I'm using
now???

And I still haven't got an answer as to why the data is disappearing
from songs ON MY MP3 PLAYER.

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"ChrisCoaster" wrote ...
Then explain this: WHY is this happening only in the last several
MONTHS? I've been editing mp3 properties since 2007, going back to XP
and (!)-ME, and the song data that I input STUCK! What was there
different about those two and the Vista and WMP 11 that I'm using
now???

If there weren't anything different, why do you think MS released
2 or 3 or 7 new versions of WMP during that time? WMP is
second only to iTunes for doing stupid things that you didn't ask for.

And I still haven't got an answer as to why the data is disappearing
from songs ON MY MP3 PLAYER.

Because you have probably connected it to your computer several
times and your MP3 player gets "updated" with whatever mischief
happened to your files since the last update.

DUMP WMP, fix your files with MP3tag and THEN see what
happens. Else, if you want to keep fooling around with WMP
and other user-vicious applications, you're on your own.