conlin

Default parallel deck?

Hey i have an 86 fleetwood brougham and I would like to keep the stock
stereo in for looks but then install an aftermarket cd deck that i can
put out of view somewhere and then use a switch to switch between these
units when i want to listen to cds. I would not need these units to work
concurrently, just a switch to power up the other unit. Does anyone have
a good idea on how i can implement this? I am familiar with basic
electronics and i wanted to see if there are any premade solutions for
this type of thing. let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.
thanks!
MZ

Hey i have an 86 fleetwood brougham and I would like to keep the stock
stereo in for looks but then install an aftermarket cd deck that i can
put out of view somewhere and then use a switch to switch between these
units when i want to listen to cds. I would not need these units to work
concurrently, just a switch to power up the other unit. Does anyone have
a good idea on how i can implement this? I am familiar with basic
electronics and i wanted to see if there are any premade solutions for
this type of thing. let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.
thanks!

Why not just use the aftermarket deck for everything and keep the stock deck
unhooked from the speakers?

DJ TecThreat

"MZ" wrote in message
Hey i have an 86 fleetwood brougham and I would like to keep the stock
stereo in for looks but then install an aftermarket cd deck that i can
put out of view somewhere and then use a switch to switch between these
units when i want to listen to cds. I would not need these units to work
concurrently, just a switch to power up the other unit. Does anyone have
a good idea on how i can implement this? I am familiar with basic
electronics and i wanted to see if there are any premade solutions for
this type of thing. let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.
thanks!

Why not just use the aftermarket deck for everything and keep the stock

deck
unhooked from the speakers?

Yea, that'd be the best idea... The stock decks arent great for anything,
even the tuner on most is pretty bad. Most people with classic cars/show
cars who are using an after market deck leave the stock one unhooked if
they're going for a stock look. Thats what we did with an 68' Impala, 64'
Fairline and a 34' Ford Pickup.

DJ TecThreat
The Real Threat

conlin

It's a simple relay setup. Four DPDT relays with the armature connected
to the speaker side. Use the output from the aftermarket decks amplifier
remote output to activate the relays.

Honestly, I can't imagine why you'd want to keep the original stereo
though. It's only an 86. Not exactly vintage classic material, but if
you were to use it as a show car, then any aftermarket install at all
would be an abomination.

well i want to keep the original deck because it has woodgrain knobs and
matches the rest of the interior. Not to mention, i loathe the gaudy
displays of nearly every aftermarket deck available. This car isnt for
show, but its in great condition and i dont want to ruin the look it has
now... maybe im kidding myself, but is there another way to do this
without ruining the look?
thelizman

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

teamROCS Car Audio Forums
http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.

thelizman

conlin wrote:

well i want to keep the original deck because it has woodgrain knobs and
matches the rest of the interior. Not to mention, i loathe the gaudy
displays of nearly every aftermarket deck available. This car isnt for
show, but its in great condition and i dont want to ruin the look it has
now... maybe im kidding myself, but is there another way to do this
without ruining the look?

Creativity. I agree that most car stereos nowadays look garrish and
gaudy, but if you look you can find some that are bold understatements.
The old McIntosh MX headunits look alot like GM stock radios, and these
are excellent units (possibly underpriced if such a thing is possible
for such an expensive unit). You might also check out some offerings by
Nakamichi, who also tends to have very muted and subtle designs. As for
woodgraining, you can buy some vary good laminates nowadays that are
virtually indistinguishable from real wood - except for the obvious fact
that nobody would make headunits from real wood. Patience, a sharp hobby
knife, and a blowdryer can give you woodgrain accents.

http://www.nakamichi.com/auto/CD700II/index.html -- Nak CD700II

You might also consider looking around for someone with a later model GM
stereo you can buy for your car that will offer the features you're
looking for.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

teamROCS Car Audio Forums
http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
MZ

well i want to keep the original deck because it has woodgrain knobs and
matches the rest of the interior. Not to mention, i loathe the gaudy
displays of nearly every aftermarket deck available.

If you're willing to shell out the cash, you may be impressed with the looks
of of a McIntosh deck. I can understand why you'd want to keep the deck
stock in that car though. Aftermarkets just don't look right in fleetwoods.
I actually had an aftermarket in 80's deville I once had (the closest
relative to an '86 fleetwood that I've installed in), and it just didn't
seem to look right. And that was with a non-gaudy Eclipse deck.

This car isnt for
show, but its in great condition and i dont want to ruin the look it has
now... maybe im kidding myself, but is there another way to do this
without ruining the look?

Aftermarket in the glove compartment.

Another option (more work): use the face of the stock radio as a facade for
the aftermarket. Either motorize it to flip up or simply put it on small
hinges.

DJ TecThreat

Your options depend on what you really want to do. There are a few ways to
switch between the decks.. thelizman mentioned the one using relays. You
could also get some audio switching boxes.. Use hi-to-low audio adaptors
coming off the stock deck to make the speaker outputs into RCA's then buy an
aftermarket deck with front and rear RCA outputs then use the switching
boxes to swap between the two. To keep the rear fade, you'd either have to
have 2 audio boxes (2 channel's per box) or find one with 4 channel
abilities. You could also make a custom switch for the audioboxes making it
only one switch to switch both boxes. Obviously this way would degrade sound
quality on the stock deck becuase of the hi-low adaptors probably not alot
but it will still be there. Theres also the option of getting an after
market deck with AUX inputs and using the hi-lo adapators to pipe the stock
stereo into the aftermarket. Then you can just hit aux on the aftermarket
and the stock stereo will still work. This will also allow you to keep the
same audio settings on both decks.

You could also completly disconnect the stock deck leaving it there for
looks or just leave the power hooked up and stash the after market in the
glovebox, center console (do you have one?), under a seat.. etc... I would
probably put it under the seat and solder wires to the IR connection inside
the unit and put an IR sensor somewhere in the dash or dome light to be able
to use the remote (if the deck had one) with out aiming the remote directly
at it.

Another option like MZ and thelizman said is to get a nice older deck
(McIntosh) or a Nakamichi, etc... (there are a few other great sounding but
plain looking decks) and customize it, making it look stock. woodgrain,
painting it, etc... If you do this though.. make a plate out of abs or wood
to mount the stereo in then paint it, woodgrain it, etc... Dont use those
aftermarket coversion kits if you're trying to maintain stock looks, those
are pretty ugly.

Hope that helps
DJ TecThreat
The Real Threat

2 deck quandry rick donnelly Car Audio 9 December 16th 03 02:49 PM
Pioneer DEH-P940MP Is this a good deck!?!?!?! Josh Tayler Car Audio 14 October 4th 03 08:39 PM
Firing Sub thru rear deck - Need Advise! Brian Car Audio 1 September 5th 03 05:54 PM
Swapin a factory Cassette deck with a cd player Matt Miller Car Audio 1 August 30th 03 02:34 AM
Alpine deck blew my subs! Indiglow Car Audio 9 August 16th 03 01:46 AM