Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_] James Price[_6_] is offline

Default How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/15/2020 12:08 AM, James Price wrote:
How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
same make and model?

By using good components, assuring that the pieces are put together
properly by testing thoroughly after final assembly, and charging a lot
of money.

*Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback
systems?

First of all, you need to recognize that loudspeakers are always going
to have some inconsistencies. They're difficult both to measure and to
construct for identical performance. That being said, modern powered
speakers with DSP tweakability to correct for small differences between
components are adjusted to meet the manufacturer's tolerances. The
better ones do it extremely well. It's what you get when you buy
speakers that costs $5,000 a piece and up (but there's no clear break here).

For monitors that are $125/pair, you can assume that the paint matches,
you hear sound when you send them a signal, there aren't any loose
screws inside the box, and that, at least one frequency, the level match
between a pair is within a couple of dB.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

James Price wrote:
How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

QC on individual drivers, QC on cabinets, then total system QC. And QC
doesn't just mean testing for rubbing voice coils; these days it will often
mean verified tests of all T-S parameters before and after breaking in the
drivers in the plant.

If you look up papers from Wolfgang Klippel, he is the guru on this sort
of thing.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price is a tedious ****** wrote:

How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the same make and model?

** Mass produced components tend to be very similar within a given batch.

Applies to woofers and tweeters.

*Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly
identical studio monitors/playback systems?

** Seemingly identical = what exactly ?

Speakers sold as a pair should be damn near the same - but the same model sold months or years apart is another matter.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 21:08:39 -0700 (PDT), James Price
wrote:

How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

If you take as an example the LS3/5A BBC monitor speaker, the B110
bass drivers were selected to have a resonance frequency within 5Hz
for a matched pair. The internal resonance of the cabinet will pull
the speakers into line from that tolerance.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

If you take as an example the LS3/5A BBC monitor speaker, the B110
bass drivers were selected to have a resonance frequency within 5Hz
for a matched pair. The internal resonance of the cabinet will pull
the speakers into line from that tolerance.

And the thing is that with modern manufacturing we can get much better
consistency than we could when the LS3/A was new. Now it's not unusual
to see every speaker off the production line having the Fs within 5 Hz
of the nominal value, even for cheap stuff.

Whether they stay within that value as they age is another question. That
is the real problem with picking speakers that have had different histories
and putting them together.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

wrote:

How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

If you take as an example the LS3/5A BBC monitor speaker, the B110
bass drivers were selected to have a resonance frequency within 5Hz
for a matched pair. The internal resonance of the cabinet will pull
the speakers into line from that tolerance.

My (self-built, complete with auto-transformer) LS3-5As are lined,
instead of with bitumous sheet, lead !

Have checked the Fs of the drivers though, over the last 30 years ...

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

============

My (self-built, complete with auto-transformer) LS3-5As are lined,
instead of with bitumous sheet, lead !

** Nice - radiation & X-ray proof.

...... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/07/2020 8:45 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
geoff wrote:

============

My (self-built, complete with auto-transformer) LS3-5As are lined,
instead of with bitumous sheet, lead !

** Nice - radiation & X-ray proof.

..... Phil

Quite inert too, in a physical sense. Sure it made zero difference to
anything though, apart from the weight.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Semi-related: I recently auditioned a used pair of
NS-10Ms, and when they said FLAT they meant it.
I mean NO coloration that I detected. Of course they
sounded bass-shy, but that has more to do with how we
hear than to do with those Yamahas.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

wrote:

How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency (eg.
frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency
between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

If you take as an example the LS3/5A BBC monitor speaker, the B110
bass drivers were selected to have a resonance frequency within 5Hz
for a matched pair. The internal resonance of the cabinet will pull
the speakers into line from that tolerance.

My (self-built, complete with auto-transformer) LS3-5As are lined,
instead of with bitumous sheet, lead !

I used the B110 and a soft-dome SEAS H881 tweeter with a pair of B139s,
each unit driven by its own amplifier in a closed cabinet design; the
four amplifiers and their power supply are built into the cabinet. The
B110's aren't called on to go down as far as their resonance frequency,
so matching between them isn't quite as critical. They are mounted in
fairly stiff enclosures damped with sandwiches of bitumen and
galavanised steel plates. The enclosures are tapered to reduce the
'organ pipe' effect and they also served as bracing members between the
front and back panels of the outer L.F. cabinets.

The main cabinet is divided into three unequal sections by two
perforated shelves which break up longitudinal air resonances and brace
the side and back panels. The panels are further damped by a sandwich
of galvanised steel plates and roofing felt. Knocking anywhere on them
wth the knuckles produces a dead 'thunk' (followed by "ouch!"). They
weigh 1 cwt (50kg) each.

The crossover is an 'active' design with cascaded state-variable
filters. It is interesting to note that the LS3/5a used twin amplifiers
and an active crossover during the design phase and was only fitted with
a passive crossover when it went into production (the BBC had to farm
out the design of that because it was so complex).

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff:

It was my first foray with passive reference monitors,
**** on it like you do most of what I contribute here,
it's all good.

Just the NS-10s with original grills on top of their OEM stands
hooked up to a receiver and CD player.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Semi-related: I recently auditioned a used pair of
NS-10Ms, and when they said FLAT they meant it.
I mean NO coloration that I detected. Of course they
sounded bass-shy, but that has more to do with how we
hear than to do with those Yamahas.

Just think how great Auratones must be then!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18/07/2020 12:48, geoff wrote:

I don't actually have any NS10s, but I do have a pair of NS20s. But they
are not remotely the same thing.

The reason I used to hear for having a pair of NS-10s to hand was that
you make the best mix you can on your normal full range monitors, check
it on cheap headphones and a car system, and then listen on the NS-10s
while looking at it and watching how the cone distorts physically on the
bass notes.

If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:
If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

But they were (and still are) a consistent and reliable cheap and nasty
speaker. They are the same in every studio. That was a big deal back in
the days of big soffit-mounted systems that sounded different in every
control room, and even though it's not as big a deal today it's still a
thing people like.

I'm not sure it's as good a mix check as it used to be... people are more
often listening on desktop 2.1 systems that are awful in different ways
than the NS-10 is awful.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18/07/2020 16:35, Scott Dorsey wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

But they were (and still are) a consistent and reliable cheap and nasty
speaker. They are the same in every studio. That was a big deal back in
the days of big soffit-mounted systems that sounded different in every
control room, and even though it's not as big a deal today it's still a
thing people like.

I'm not sure it's as good a mix check as it used to be... people are more
often listening on desktop 2.1 systems that are awful in different ways
than the NS-10 is awful.

Agreed.

I have one such nearby....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott, geoff:

'Flat'(speakers, headphones, etc.) is not going to sound
good, simply because our hearing is anything but!

Why do you always find smiley EQ settings or the Bass
and Treble fully clockwise on consumer rigs? Because
those are the regions where most people's hearing is least
sensitive.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

"Flat" sounds as close as possible to the original sound.

Agreed!

The smile EQ makes a sound more pleasant.

Which I why I get such argument from aforementioned individuals who 'V'-shape
their home or car EQ, or boost the B & T.

Such individuals also cannot stand - for long anyway - a calibrated TV or
projection display. "Too dark", "colors aren't punchy enough". Too soft, etc.

That's partly the TV mfgs fault: Consumer displays are shipped with all the
user and internal adjustments "torched", IE Vivid mode, so that impression
became over time the expectation. Show these people accurate, and to them
it looks "broken", (facepalm!)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

Yes, and sadly fluorescent green grass becomes what
people accept as being normal and good. Similarly with music.

geoff

___________

I've had plenty of cases of people content with the above, geoff, even when there is an example of what
grass(and trees and sky) should look like, outside a window right near their TV!

Maybe to them TV is a way to 'escape' - and not emulate - reality?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:

If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:

If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

__________
Considering their construction - I have bruised my knuckles rapping on few speaker
cabinets as rock-solid as that of a NS-10 or any of its letter derivatives!

Those Yammies were brutally honest. All of their sound came from their transducers, and
none from anywhere else on that speaker. Most people, esp. consumers, are used to
speakers where from twenty to as much as seventy-percent of what they hear comes from
the CABINET and mounting points of a speaker. Those resonances can permanently affect
their perception of and experience of music they listen to on them.

Then they listen to a reference monitor and vomit...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

But they were (and still are) a consistent and reliable cheap and nasty
speaker. They are the same in every studio. That was a big deal back in
the days of big soffit-mounted systems that sounded different in every
control room, and even though it's not as big a deal today it's still a
thing people like.

I'm not sure it's as good a mix check as it used to be... people are more
often listening on desktop 2.1 systems that are awful in different ways
than the NS-10 is awful.
--scott

At the same time, there are not-awful 2.1 systems for very cheap. They
obviously vary greatly.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 21/07/2020 8:36 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor wrote:
On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:

If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

Yeah, but some people actually paid for them. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:

If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

Yeah, but some people actually paid for them. :-)

That totally floored me at the time, and I guess it still kind of does.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:

If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

Yeah, but some people actually paid for them. :-)

That totally floored me at the time, and I guess it still kind of does.
--scott

And they (and others) still leech off the concept by repeating or
emulating the cunning plan of the distinctive white bass drivers, made
highly visible in photos from many studio control rooms - most of those
buying them thinking that they were there because they sounded so GOOD !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

And they (and others) still leech off the concept by repeating or
emulating the cunning plan of the distinctive white bass drivers, made
highly visible in photos from many studio control rooms - most of those
buying them thinking that they were there because they sounded so GOOD !

Compared with some of the soffit-mounted monitoring systems of the day they
might have seemed like a step up too. I learned to mix on Altec 604s that
made the NS-10 top end seem tame and controlled.

My god, how much better things are now.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:

If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

Yeah, but some people actually paid for them. :-)

That totally floored me at the time, and I guess it still kind of does.
--scott

There's a pair on Reverb.com with an asking price of $1000.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 25/07/2020 12:20 pm, Les Cargill wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:

If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible
listening system.

They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

Yeah, but some people actually paid for them. :-)

That totally floored me at the time, and I guess it still kind of does.
--scott

There's a pair on Reverb.com with an asking price of $1000.

HAHAHAHA. Funny thing is somebody will probably pay it. :-)