Default Receiving Muzak on Subcarriers

Hi All,

I want to rebroadcast and play some Muzak "elevator music" on my old
tube radios. I've been told that Muzak is aired via subcarriers that
ride on FM broadcast signals, but I don't want to spend any money on an
SCA receiver, so I wonder if I can decode subcarrier channels if I took
the audio signal from the MPX FM output of my Heathkit AJ-11 or Dynakit
FM-1 receiver and fed the signal into a crystal radio with a resonant
circuit that tunes between 60 to 100 kHz? Thanks in advance.

C.W.

Uncle Peter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I want to rebroadcast and play some Muzak "elevator music" on my old
tube radios. I've been told that Muzak is aired via subcarriers that
ride on FM broadcast signals, but I don't want to spend any money on an
SCA receiver, so I wonder if I can decode subcarrier channels if I took
the audio signal from the MPX FM output of my Heathkit AJ-11 or Dynakit
FM-1 receiver and fed the signal into a crystal radio with a resonant
circuit that tunes between 60 to 100 kHz? Thanks in advance.

C.W.

The subcarriers are FM and are riding on the FM carrier.

You'll need a PLL to decode the SCA. SCA ready receivers
for direct sale to consumers are illegal to sell under current FCC
laws, but you can buy a subcarrier kit from Vectronics.

BTW, the SCA bandwidth is restricted to about 5 kHz, so don't
expect to recover high fidelity music from the SCA services.

-exray-

Uncle Peter wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Is 'Muzak' still available on SCA? I thought they went all satellite?

-Bill

Scott W. Harvey

-exray- wrote:

The subcarriers are FM and are riding on the FM carrier.

You'll need a PLL to decode the SCA. SCA ready receivers
for direct sale to consumers are illegal to sell under current FCC
laws, but you can buy a subcarrier kit from Vectronics.

BTW, the SCA bandwidth is restricted to about 5 kHz, so don't
expect to recover high fidelity music from the SCA services.

Is 'Muzak' still available on SCA? I thought they went all satellite?

Muzak dumped SCA as a method of transmission about 5 years ago. I saw
one of their dishes on a building in Los Angeles a couple of years ago,
but it was definitely NOT pointing toward the sky....It appears that
they are using some kind of line-of-site microwave reception scheme from
a centralized terrestrial location. Probably, the receiver uses some
form of digital encryption scheme to prevent unauthorized reception.

Other broadcasters are still using SCA, at least in Silicon Valley. I
have a portable FM radio that has an SCA switch on it (it's not a mod
either....it definitely came that way from the factory). The FM radio
functions pretty much like any other FM radio, but on SCA it receives a
fixed-frequency signal that is set by a user-inaccessable trimmer cap
on the radio's main PC board. I can get at least two or three different
SCA transmissions with it in most points in the bay area. It works fine,
but it requires a very robust signal from the host transmitter for good
reception and yes, the audio quality sucks.

Plans for the construction of an SCA decoder appeared in the Popular
Electronics/Radio-Electronics type magazines MANY times during the
1970s. Additionally, National Semiconductor's 1970s-era linear component
databooks contained the schematic for one of these decoders to
illustrate a "typical application" for one of their garden-variety PLL
chips. For the most part, these plans call for off-the-shelf components
that are still available today. However, I would be very careful about
re-broadcasting this kind of programming. You must be absolutely sure
that the re-broadcasted signal does not go beyond the boundaries of your
home. There have been many, many lawsuits over the years regarding the
unauthorized reception and use of these broadcasts. If the broadcasters
were to find out what you were doing and went after you, they would
definitely prevail in court.

-Scott

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:

Need a schematic? check out the Schematic Bank at:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/

Archive of alt.binaries.pictures.radio binary postings:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/abpr/
robert casey

The subcarriers are FM and are riding on the FM carrier.

If you should happen to be a ham and have a modern transceiver
radio capable of reception down to 30KHz in narrowband FM, you
could feed it the FM radio's detected audio (before the deemphasis
circuit). Tune in 67KHz or 92KHz in FM mode
on the transceiver, and then
tune the FM radio around 88 to 108MHz to see if you find any
SCA signals. You'll probably find a few data transmissions
as well as a few audio programs. About 10& of all FM stations
will have SCA subcarriers. Also try it with the FM
sound detector inside a TV set, you should be able to find
SAP channels at 78.67KHz. See my page
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...radios/ham.htm about
3/4 the way down.
Jeff

There's another way (and yet another, as I will explain) you can get
commercial-free music to play on your antique radios besides SCA. If
you have digital cable/satellite TV, the service will almost certainly
have digital music channels. Just run the audio output from the cable
box or satellite receiver to the input of a low-power AM transmitter,
set your old radios to the transmitter's frequency, and you're in
business. The fidelity of these broadcasts is incredible if you are
listening to them on a good stereo system, but don't expect hi-fi from
a small 0.1-watt transmitter. You probably won't miss anything anyway,
as many of the old radios (mostly the low-priced table models) weren't
designed with high fidelity in mind. (The early radio programs were,
after all, anything but high fidelity.) However, if you have a console
such as the Zenith Stratosphere or any of the large consoles with 12"
speakers, you will get very good sound, limited only by the frequency
response of the program source. I have a 1963 Zenith K-731 AM/FM table
model in a large walnut cabinet, with a two-way speaker system; the
sound from this set is very good, with almost incredible bass response.
These receivers would also do well with the low-power rebroadcasts of
cable/satellite music channels, whether the transmitter is AM or FM.

Another way you can pipe commercial-free music into your cherished
old antique radios is to feed the output of a cassette or reel-to-reel
tape deck, or even a CD player, into the same 0.1-watt AM transmitter I
mentioned above.

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio

-exray-

Scott W. Harvey wrote:
-exray- wrote:

Is 'Muzak' still available on SCA? I thought they went all satellite?

Muzak dumped SCA as a method of transmission about 5 years ago. I saw
one of their dishes on a building in Los Angeles a couple of years ago,
but it was definitely NOT pointing toward the sky....It appears that
they are using some kind of line-of-site microwave reception scheme from
a centralized terrestrial location. Probably, the receiver uses some
form of digital encryption scheme to prevent unauthorized reception.

I did a bit of Googling and it appears that Muzak nowadays has about 70
digital channels of programming coming from various satellites with some
spot-beaming thrown in for good measure. One group of channels, for
instance, is on EchoStar7 right there with DishNetwork...and on the same
transponder as some of the Sirius channels.
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish119.html
According to that site they are digital and in the clear.
It wouldn't surprise me if they had terrestrial headends in major areas
like LA where they collected the signals from the various sats and sent
them around via microwave.

-Bill
J. B. Wood

In article aQxie.15475$iU.5759@lakeread05, " Uncle Peter"
wrote:

The subcarriers are FM and are riding on the FM carrier.

You'll need a PLL to decode the SCA. SCA ready receivers
for direct sale to consumers are illegal to sell under current FCC
laws, but you can buy a subcarrier kit from Vectronics.

BTW, the SCA bandwidth is restricted to about 5 kHz, so don't
expect to recover high fidelity music from the SCA services.

Hello, and you can also use a conventional ratio detector circuit to
decode the SCA broadcast. I built one in the early `70s from the cover
article in an issue of Popular Electronics Magazine. The device also used
one active component (a JFET) as a tuned, 67 kHz RF amplifier ahead of the
detector. Later on I built two SCA decoders from kits that used PLLs.

The units worked OK but the biggest problem was that the main channel
program always bled through albeit at low volume. Also, you had to have a
fairly strong signal to obtain decent SCA reception. I still have all the
units that I built but in recent years a lot of services have moved to
satellite or simply went defunct. About the only SCA programs on the air
here in the Washington, DC metro area are a service for the
vision-impaired and Asian-language programs. Subsidiary Communications
Authorization (SCA) broadcasts are still a cheap way (i.e. by
piggy-backing on the main program FM signal) to deliver program content
but their limited bandwidth (not so good for music but OK for voice) and
the availability of satellite services limits their utility these days.
I'm not sure if MUZAK is still providing service via SCA. Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337

Ken Scharf

Hi All,

I want to rebroadcast and play some Muzak "elevator music" on my old
tube radios. I've been told that Muzak is aired via subcarriers that
ride on FM broadcast signals, but I don't want to spend any money on an
SCA receiver, so I wonder if I can decode subcarrier channels if I took
the audio signal from the MPX FM output of my Heathkit AJ-11 or Dynakit
FM-1 receiver and fed the signal into a crystal radio with a resonant
circuit that tunes between 60 to 100 kHz? Thanks in advance.

C.W.

The National Semi LM1310 chip was a popular device used for this
application. Years ago, I made use of it for another (similar)
purpose. In the late 1970's a few subscription over the air
tv stations started service. These transmitted a scrambled
signal that required a set top box to decode. There were several
types of scrambling circuits. One variant worked by NOT transmitting
a horizontal sync burst in the usual place, nor did it have a sound
channel in the clear. Instead they transmitted a 15.75khz sub carrier
signal, FM modulated with the program sound track. This sub carrier
was phase locked to the horizontal frame rate. The receiver
reconstructed the horizontal sync from the sub carrier. I built a
descrambler box using the LM1310 to decode the audio and provide
the horizontal sync signal (which was reconstructed using two
mono-stable multi-vibrators to generate the correct sync width
and placement). The descrambler was built inside of an old
VCR and used it's tuner, if strip, and modulator.

Can I get Muzak from the TV cable (cable FM)? Has anyone tried cable
FM with an SCA receiver for Muzak????

Scott W. Harvey wrote:
Muzak dumped SCA as a method of transmission about 5 years ago.

-exray-

Can I get Muzak from the TV cable (cable FM)? Has anyone tried cable
FM with an SCA receiver for Muzak????

Cable FM...where it still exists...comes in three main flavors. One is
the Broadband FM service (which is rare anymore except on small rural
systems) which is simply an antenna+amp fed into the cable system. In
this case, if there are any SCA subcarriers to be found on the local
stations, they would be retransmitted intact.

Number Two is where the Cable Company cherry-picks individual local
stations and replaces them on the dial - usually at a different
frequency. This may or may not pass SCAs. Depends on their scheme.
Again, this is not very common these days.

Number Three is where the Cable Company utilizes a service like DMX and
calls it "cable fm". Its basically the same digital stuff you get from
Sirius, XM, DirectTV, etc and they can just throw it on the FM band for
their analog-only subscribers although its more often sold with a box
and subscription as part of a digital upgrade service. Its all digital
so the analog SCA subcarriers don't exist.

I've never seen Muzak's (nom per se) 70 -odd channels offered to the
general public in any of these scenarios. The competitors in the public
arena (XM/Sirius/DirectTV/DMX/etc) have plenty enough of their own
milque-toast channels to seemingly satisfy the masses. Muzak, as a
provider, seems to focus more on long-term commercial contracts to
provide the same service via their own proprietary satellite network.

Short answer, no. Don't count on hooking your cable to an SCA receiver
for Muzak.

-Bill
J. B. Wood

Hello, and now for an ideal acoustic tortu A pair of tight
cover-the-ear stereo headphones with MUZAK on the left channel and rap
music on the right ;-)

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337
robert casey

J. B. Wood wrote:

Hello, and now for an ideal acoustic tortu A pair of tight
cover-the-ear stereo headphones with MUZAK on the left channel and rap
music on the right ;-)

You're evil! However, I'll take the Muzak over the rap....

Muzak [email protected] Pro Audio 14 April 8th 05 12:07 AM
MUZAK ... production speed Kelly Dueck Pro Audio 4 June 30th 04 06:05 PM